• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

007 Legends |OT| This never happened to the other guys..

Yagharek

Trailer looked good. Eurocom developing sounded good. No idea what happened here.

That said, I don't believe a bad IGN review necessarily damns a game, so I'll try a demo if one comes out before writing this off.

mgcastro

Sorry to hear about those reviews.

Man, In these recent years I enjoyed the shit out of Everything or Nothing, Bloodstone and Goldeneye Wii. The Bond franchise has such a huuge potential.

antitrop

Sorry to hear about those reviews.

Man, In these recent years I enjoyed the shit out of Everything or Nothing, Bloodstone and Goldeneye Wii. The Bond franchise has such a huuge potential.
I haven't enjoyed a Bond game since I was a youngster playing Goldeneye on N64 and James Bond for Gameboy, a perfectly serviceable Zelda rip-off.

Nemesis_

Lastly, it should be pointed out that the Skyfall mission DLC isn’t some optional extra, it’s actually the end of the campaign. Otherwise, you play through the five missions on the disc and once you finish Moonraker it abruptly transitions straight into the credits. We can only assume that the Skyfall mission has been held off so as not to spoil the new movie. But they’ve already spoilt five old movies by including them on the disc, so why stop there?

I find this interesting, why wouldn't they just hold off the release of the game and include the mission anyway?

antitrop

It's funny how that gameinformer quote sums up Resident evil 6 nicely yet they gave that a 9/10.

Also want to say that removing Halle Berry from DAD already makes this game better then that movie.
As someone who has never seen DAD and occasionally enjoys the beauty of Halle Berry, huh?

Also I would say that Resident Evil 6 was uninspired as usual and occasionally fun at best.

Nemesis_

It's funny how that gameinformer quote sums up Resident evil 6 nicely yet they gave that a 9/10.

MoWyN.gif

As someone who has never seen DAD and occasionally enjoys the beauty of Halle Berry, huh?

Also I would say that Resident Evil 6 was uninspired as usual and occasionally fun at best.

Your one of the lucky ones. Not only would DAD make you hate Halle Berry but you would hate yourself for watching that cinematic abomination.

Rented this from the Redbox earlier some quick impressions after Goldfinger and OHMSS:

Single-Player: Generally okay, nothing mind-blowing but there are some cool set pieces. Gunplay feels a lot like CoD and is pretty good. Seems like the game will be short though, only played about 1:30 hours and I am already through 2 movies.

Multiplayer: I want to like it so bad, but the netcode is AWFUL. Seriously almost unplayable at times.

Man, I was actually looking forward to this. I wonder if Goldeneye Wii was just a fluke, or if it's even the same people at the studio making the game? I know how this industry is with people constantly shuffling around between games.

I still have a tiny bit of hope, since Alpha Protocol got trashed at release and ended up being really great. But then again, it's a shooter so if the mechanics aren't any good, there's not much else to fall back on like AP had.

Lachie007

Your one of the lucky ones. Not only would DAD make you hate Halle Berry but you would hate yourself for watching that cinematic abomination.

she is one of the worst things to ever happen to the bond franchise. The opening to that movie is fine( 'cept for the surfing) then she shows up and everything goes to shit.

Axiom

I really enjoyed DAD up until the end of the fencing battle, then it turns to crap.

I'll probably buy this cheap just to see how OHMSS is represented. Honestly hearing how badly this has turned out has made me curious about picking up Bloodstone.

DMczaf

Even though the game sounds like it sucks, I'm still mad they remade each of these movies with Daniel Craig in them because they only have his license. I don't want to play License to Kill with Daniel Craig, I want Dalton! That's his movie!

Nemesis_

Does anyone have any shots of Jinx? I hear they put her in but haven't used Halle Berry's likeness or voice?

What kind of laziness?

So I rented it from redbox and beat it today, and the reviews are pretty spot on. Everything that's supposed to be super cool and a big set piece falls flat, generic cod gameplay, and the graphics range from meh to terrible (also lots of screen tearing). It's super short and the multiplayer is pretty much unplayable if your lucky enough to find a game.
On the plus side, it's cool just running up to baddies and blowing them away with your shotgun and the mini puzzles are ok I guess but super easy.

Jawmuncher

Well looks like i'll ignore this then, and just pick up Goldeneye.
Which I've been meaning to do.

But seriously I enjoyed Quantum of Solace and Blood Stone.
(Though I did pick them up at a cheaper price)

antitrop

Even though the game sounds like it sucks, I'm still mad they remade each of these movies with Daniel Craig in them because they only have his license. I don't want to play License to Kill with Daniel Craig, I want Dalton! That's his movie!
They didn't bastardize Connery, did they?

O_O Well I've got the Wii U one preordered through Newegg, still getting it, the video review I watched was not only a bit biased towards the old movies and didn't seem to "get it" that this is Daniel Craig's Bond not the classic corny bond... so I still like what I've seen and hopefully for the Wii U title the entire package comes together rather than free DLC after Skyfall.

come on... they had to know critics would kill them over this.

From the sound of it they really had no choice, release before CoD as to not compete with it head on thus killing sales, or let the critics rip them a new one and release before Skyfall without spoilers and wait till after Skyfall to release the ending for free.

Goldeneye N64 sold bajillions of copies, so let's buy the 007 license and pass off really really badly made 007 games as successors to that one, those stupid fucking nerds won't know the difference anyways!

bobbykotick.jpg

trinest

Goldeneye N64 sold bajillions of copies, so let's buy the 007 license and pass off really really badly made 007 games as successors to that one, those stupid fucking nerds won't know the difference anyways!

Really wish there was some kind of 007 group which rented the licence out and if it was miss treated they could pull the licence.

Well, thanks Activision, for bringing us this game this year :)
...instead of 12 months from now, when it would've been done :(
You are awesome!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Shame it turned out a turd. GoldenEye Wii was great, this is just a cash in it seems.

I like the idea of remaking the old plots with Craig, but they didn't even get him doing the voice work.

Nemesis_

I can't find any other discrepancies as huge as making Jinx a white woman, but yeah. Seems like a really bizarre choice. I know it was for money and such, but at least model the character to look SOMEWHAT like her film counterpart. =/

Hypereides

Gold Member
Shame about the scores, but will still buy it being a James Bond fan and all. Considering getting Reloaded while Im at it.

Honestly hearing how badly this has turned out has made me curious about picking up Bloodstone.

Definitely try Blood Stone. It's is a very competent game. There is nothing majorly wrong with it except for the ending (or lack of) and facial modelling/animation. If you enjoyed Everything or Nothing, you'll probably like Blood Stone.

Though I rate EoN higher.

Nemesis_

I'm seriously considering Bloodstone too, it came out at the wrong time last year so I overlooked it but many are saying it's quite enjoyable.

but then again, where will I find the time? :p

gamingeek

Gaming Nexus review said:
Eurocom didn’t just copy-paste the exact same gameplay mechanics from GoldenEye; they’ve added onto and enhanced a number of the concepts from GoldenEye, with…mixed results.

For starters, they’ve completely overhauled the stealth system. Unlike in GoldenEye, where if you were spotted an enemy would almost immediately call in reinforcements, in 007 Legends they have a suspicion gauge very similar to the Assassin’s Creed games. An arrow on the HUD points to any enemies that have spotted you, and the more visible you are/the longer they see you, their suspicion level will go from white to yellow to orange where they’ll come and investigate, and finally red for when you’re completely detected.

This system seems like a great idea at first and on paper it works just fine, but in practice there are a few things that make it very frustrating. Naturally, enemies are alerted by dead bodies so you have to be careful not to leave dead henchmen just lying out in the open. The only problem is that you can’t move bodies around and hide them. Even worse, stealth areas are positively packed with patrolling guards and cameras, so it’s highly likely that even enemies you’ve taken out off the beaten path will be discovered eventually, usually when you’re slowly sneaking toward the area’s exit.

This leads to aggravating trial-and-error where you restart a section over and over just to get the stealth sequences right. Your radar only highlights enemies in your general line of sight, so it’s very easy to get spotted or accidentally run right into a patrolling guard as you try to mentally map out an area. It typically took me at least 3 or 4 retries just to find out where all the guards were, much less find an effective way to take them all out or sneak past without being detected.

There are distraction items in the environment that you can set off to draw attention away from you, and a gadget is unlocked about halfway through the campaign that lets you fire distraction darts, but simply giving me the ability to hide bodies—something that’s been around since Metal Gear Solid 2—would’ve made the stealth sequences a lot more enjoyable. After so many retries I usually just gave up, and ran in guns blazing. Now that’s not something Bond would do, is it? Well maybe, but certainly not all the time.

Read dat review, it's hands down the most informative.

Chuckpebble

Does anyone have any shots of Jinx? I hear they put her in but haven't used Halle Berry's likeness or voice?

What kind of laziness?

Her character profile is shown at the end of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CcRKAcqzIjo#t=330s

Spoilers and what not. That also shows all of the weapons and attachments.

I linked to the specific time. Looks ugly, but however they did those profile shots doesn't seem to do the characters any favors.

Top Bottom