• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

007 Legends |OT| This never happened to the other guys..

Yagharek

I don't think this one was just IGN being IGN.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/007-legends

Game Informer: A mess of a title that's uninspired at best and nearly broken at worst.
Sorry, the game blows.

Ehhh, I wouldnt argue gameinformer have any more credibility than IGN either. Both are about as reliable as each other to be honest.

I have no problems accepting the game is bad, but I would never trust IGN or GI on their word. Ever.

U2NUMB

Well I put in a couple hours last night and it is certainly not anything to be impressed with. It is however playable and if you can ignore the glitches you can get some fun out of it. The multiplayer is pretty throw away. I uploaded my first match.. Ended up picking up the golden gun if anyone wanted to see that in action.

Anyways you can ignore my commentary if you like but here is some deathmatch action. Also use the shotgun.. most deadly weapon in any game in history and you see me die from it often.

007 Legends MP Gameplay

I have some single player stuff uploading right now. I will post it when it is done.

Edit: Here is that single player video. Again ignore my commentary if you like. Campaign first 25 Minutes

I Rented it from Redbox

I can't find any other discrepancies as huge as making Jinx a white woman, but yeah. Seems like a really bizarre choice. I know it was for money and such, but at least model the character to look SOMEWHAT like her film counterpart. =/

Nope, you'd get into legal trouble if you didn't licence a likeness, but then made the character a lookalike. Safer to make them look nothing like the original actor.

As to what happened with this game, 9 month development period from what I hear.

Fox Mulder

Ehhh, I wouldnt argue gameinformer have any more credibility than IGN either. Both are about as reliable as each other to be honest.

I have no problems accepting the game is bad, but I would never trust IGN or GI on their word. Ever.

Game informer being owned by gamestop is one thing, but some of the concerns from the game are mentioned across different reviews.

Activision just shit out a turd, arguably their first since getting the franchise.

Jawmuncher

Nope, you'd get into legal trouble if you didn't licence a likeness, but then made the character a lookalike. Safer to make them look nothing like the original actor.

As to what happened with this game, 9 month development period from what I hear.

Would keeping Jinx black really be enough to warrant legal trouble?
Just seems odd to change the skin color as well.

Fox Mulder

Would keeping Jinx black really be enough to warrant legal trouble?
Just seems odd to change the skin color as well.

Jinx was a shitty character in a shitty movie anyways, I don't think it matters really.

At least they spent money from their presumably small budget getting the real actors for characters like jaws and goldfinger.

DangerStepp

While watching the GB quick look, I got a good chuckle out of a cell phone lying on the floor next to the golden chick (Tilly/Jill Masterson)

Sorry to hear about those reviews.

Man, In these recent years I enjoyed the shit out of Everything or Nothing, Bloodstone and Goldeneye Wii. The Bond franchise has such a huuge potential.
Everything or Nothing... secret best Bond game.

The only one that went out of its way to do something different, at least.

G-Fex

While watching the GB quick look, I got a good chuckle out of a cell phone lying on the floor next to the golden chick (Tilly/Jill Masterson)

I'm actually going to stream EoN in a little bit live.

dan2026

Why the hell does every Bond game have to be generic shooter X?

He's a spy, why not do some sort of stealth game or RPG or something.

The more I think of it, Bond would fit perfectly into some sort of open world RPG adventure.
You should only be shooting people as a last resort.

DukeBobby

Why the hell does every Bond game have to be generic shooter X?

He's a spy, why not do some sort of stealth game or RPG or something.

The more I think of it, Bond would fit perfectly into some sort of open world RPG adventure.
You should only be shooting people as a last resort.

Alpha Protocol is probably the nearest thing to a James Bond RPG.

Effect

Curious if they are still working on the Wii U version and at least some of the problems in the game can be patched. Even if the online is only touched. I enjoyed Goldeneye's online on the Wii more then I ever did Black Ops or MW3 to be honest. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a higher player count of 5v5 or 6v6 instead of it being 4v4. It made the Goldeneye mode not a lot of fun as there wasn't enough people. Had hopes for this but...ugh.

So perhaps Goldeneye Wii was a fluke or because Nintendo wanted it, it was given extra care. With Activision having Call of Duty there is now way in the end they'd allow any other shooter, not even their own, come close to challenging it. Perhaps it is time someone else got the license (dear god don't let it be EA). Didn't EA lose it because of the quality of the games got worse and worse?

U2NUMB

I still hope they're working on the Wii U version and at least some of the problems in the game can be patched. Even if the online is only touched. I enjoyed Goldeneye's online on the Wii more then I ever did Black Ops or MW3 to be honest. The only thing that would have made it better would have been a higher player count of 5v5 or 6v6 instead of it being 4v4. It made the Goldeneye mode not a lot of fun as there wasn't enough people.

Actually as I was playing i thought that the whole cell phone and watch mechanic would be perfect for the Wii U. I would not expect them to "fix" the game for a Wii U release but it does make sense to have it out on that platform based on what the game is trying to do.

Alpha Protocol is probably the nearest thing to a James Bond RPG.

If bloodstone was more open, could have been brilliant.

But yeah i do kinda agree with Gerstmann. If Goldeneye wasn't such a hit, we might actually get bond games that aren't just shooters.

So yeah I want 007 racing 2.

I've said this a lot, but Everything or Nothing remade with the Bloodstone engine with modern day third-person shooter controls would easily be the best Bond game.

Penguin

There's no secret about it
I've considered Everything or Nothing the best Bond game ever for some time.
Goldeneye just gets more love due to its longevity based on multiplayer, and EoN fails at that.

Fox Mulder

But yeah i do kinda agree with Gerstmann. If Goldeneye wasn't such a hit, we might actually get bond games that aren't just shooters.

EA tried with Everything of Nothing though. Something like that is probably the best we're going to get in terms of gameplay variety and overall quality, and EA followed it up with another lazy FPS and slapped Goldeneye on the label. Even Blood Stone was promising effort, but Activision closed down Bizarre Creations and jumped right into a Goldeneye FPS remake.

the general gaming audience loves their FPS games, and Bond fans will probably force themselves to play these at some point anyways. I can see why no one tries to give these the Batman Arkham Asylum, "we give a shit and can make a fantastic game" treatment.

EA tried with Everything of Nothing though. Something like that is probably the best we're going to get in terms of gameplay variety and overall quality, and EA followed it up with another lazy FPS and slapped Goldeneye on the label. Even Blood Stone was promising effort, but Activision closed down Bizarre Creations and jumped right into a Goldeneye FPS remake.

People love their FPS games, and Bond fans will probably force themselves to play these at some point anyways. I can see why no one tries to give these the Batman Arkham Asylum, "we give a shit and can make a fantastic game" treatment.

Did EON bomb or something? It's a damn shame it didn't catch on.

Didn't GTA4 pretty much steal EoN's shooting system?

And co-op was crazy hard and fun.

donny2112

I liked 007 Bloodstone (single-player, never tried multi-player). I think it's a solid 7/8 title for a Bond fan. Watched the 25 minute Youtube play through here, though, and it looks like this one won't do so well, so skipping it. Too bad, too. Skyfall seems like it's going to deserve a good game. Maybe a year late like Goldeneye was?
Activision, so nah.

Seriously though, guys

This game shipped without an ending

That should give you a pretty good idea what a shallow cash-in piece of junk this is

Seriously though, guys

This game shipped without an ending

That should give you a pretty good idea what a shallow cash-in piece of junk this is

I think that's more to do with the fact that the ending is Skyfall, and they don't want to spoil anyone before the movie hits. It is free DLC of course.

Saying that though, they could have handled it better. The fact that it just ends mid-space station destruction is highly lame. I think they should have held the game back until the movie was out (for each region) so Skyfall could be included on disc.

Amazing OT

ibv1lVUTmdayye.gif

Game though sounds more like

kSBSF.gif

Watching el streamo all the same

Fox Mulder

I think that's more to do with the fact that the ending is Skyfall, and they don't want to spoil anyone before the movie hits. It is free DLC of course.

Saying that though, they could have handled it better. The fact that it just ends mid-space station destruction is highly lame. I think they should have held the game back until the movie was out (for each region) so Skyfall could be included on disc.

Spoiling movies hasn't been a problem for licensed things since forever. If it was such an issue, they should have delayed the game.

It's a stupid solution to a problem that no one cared about.

G-Fex

twas a fun stream, man EoN really is kinda hard and awkwardly controlled, gave up on the timed missions, glad you enjoyed the stream guys though I didn't get far.

Boerseun

Banned

Where is this information from?

9 months seem like a ridiculously short development time for anything done on a HD budget, even if it's not aiming for anything like top quality.

Can we just turn this into a stealth Everything or Nothing appreciation thread? Such a varied, fantastic game. I'd destroy a thousand Goldeneye N64 ports to get a HD remake of that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thoroughly enjoyed Dead Space: Extraction, and thought GoldenEye 007 was a good contender for the best FPS campaign of that year and a proper return to form for the Bond game license. Those two points alone put Eurocom on my watch list.

Though I'll still give this a shot to judge for myself, to see this as their next major release is heartbreaking. Especially if it indeed was given a weak nine months of development time. Clearly shovelled out the door to meet the Skyfall deadline and cash in on that Bond buzz. What a damn shame. Eurocom deserves better.

Just finished it, Moonraker definitely seems to have had the most work put into it, although the way it ends (which I am sure will be rectified when the Skyfall DLC is out) was stupid.

Overall I didn't hate the game, but it is exceedingly average. If I had to put a score on it, it would be either a 5/10 or 6/10. I would recommend waiting till it hits at least $30 or under for anyone who wants to pick it up.

demolitio

Thoroughly enjoyed Dead Space: Extraction, and thought GoldenEye 007 was a good contender for the best FPS campaign of that year and a proper return to form for the Bond game license. Those two points alone put Eurocom on my watch list.

Though I'll still give this a shot to judge for myself, to see this as their next major release is heartbreaking. Especially if it indeed was given a weak nine months of development time. Clearly shovelled out the door to meet the Skyfall deadline and cash in on that Bond buzz. What a damn shame. Eurocom deserves better.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I thought Goldeneye Wii marked the return of decent Bond games with a decent developer and the news of this game is absolutely heartbreaking as a Bond fan. Bond needs to be back in the gaming world...

Top Bottom