• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films to See In December (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 Films to See In December

While December is often a time of reflection of the year past, before we embark on such a journey in forthcoming features, it's time to take a look at what to keep on your radar in the next few weeks. A number of the below films won't reach their widest release until early next year, but December brings a batch of our festival favorites, a few indies, yet-to-be-seen works from top directors and perhaps one sequel (not involving Hobbits) that we're hoping will surprise us. Check out our rundown of the must-see films below and let us know what you're most looking forward to.

Matinees to See: Twice Born (12/6), Out of the Furnace (12/6), Here Comes the Devil (12/13), The Crash Reel (12/13), Some Velvet Morning (12/13), All The Light In The Sky (12/20), August: Osage County (12/25), The Invisible Woman (12/25), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (12/25)

10. The Past (Asghar Farhadi; Dec. 20th)

the-past-e1386022328620-620x283.jpg

Synopsis: An Iranian man deserts his French wife and two children to return to his homeland. Meanwhile, his wife starts up a new relationship, a reality her husband confronts upon his wife's request for a divorce.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: While I consider Iranian director Asghar Farhadi's previous film, A Separation, to be one of the decade's few masterpieces, one can't help but feel a bit let down when it comes to his follow-up. Though with strong performances from all involved (reason enough to seek it out), the plot is full of contrivances as its melodrama hits a tipping point. In our review from Cannes, we said the picture “plays out like a soap opera in terms of the details resting inside each character’s relationship and personal dilemma, yet the material is elevated by Farhadi’s carefully nuanced direction, allowing performances to take center stage. The end result is an effective examination of how past lives can sometimes dictate future selves.”

9. Saving Mr. Banks (John Hancock; Dec. 13th)

saving-620x317.png

Synopsis: Author P. L. Travers reflects on her difficult childhood while meeting with filmmaker Walt Disney during production for the adaptation of her novel, Mary Poppins.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: On the surface, this story of the journey to bring Mary Poppins to the screen has all the makings of this year's most Oscar-baity film; there's Disney themselves crafting their own story, an A-lister portraying a beloved historical figure, and a director coming off undeserved attention (the cloying drama The Blind Side). However it looks like there is something to be admired with Saving Mr. Banks, as early buzz suggests it is a well-crafted, crowd-pleasing charmer.

8. Lone Survivor (Peter Berg; Dec. 25th)

lone_survivor-620x336.png

Synopsis: Based on the failed June 28, 2005 mission "Operation Red Wings". Four members of SEAL Team 10 were tasked with the mission to capture or kill notorious Taliban leader Ahmad Shahd.

Trailer

Why You Should See ItPeter Berg could've directed just about anything to deliver a step-up from his last film, the failed board game adaptation Battleship, but thankfully he's returned with a project that clearly invokes passion from all involved. Telling the true story of Marcus Luttrell and his crew's harrowing mission in Afghanistan, the Mark Wahlberg-led film has received major praise following its AFI premiere and will arrive in limited release at the end of the month, followed by an expanded bow in January.

7. Anchorman: The Legend Continues (Adam McKay; Dec. 18th)

anchorman.jpg

Synopsis: With the 70s behind him, San Diego's top rated newsman, Ron Burgundy, returns to take New York's first 24-hour news channel by storm.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: With an overblown marketing onslaught not privy to even some of the most expensive summer blockbusters, Paramount is making us a bit wary when it comes to the (once?) much-anticipated sequel. I'm all for the return of Ron Burgundy and the film's inclusion on this list has me wishing for the best, but here's hoping the final product can capture what has made the first film an infinitely repeatable cult hit.

6. White Reindeer (Zach Clark; Dec. 6th)

reindeer-620x292.png

Synopsis: After an unexpected tragedy, Suzanne struggles to put her life back together during a sad, strange Christmastime in suburban Virginia.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: With a severe lack of notable holiday-themed offerings this month, we're happily looking toward the independent circuit to provide our fix. After a festival tour resulting in near-unanimous praise, White Reindeer will be making its modest bow this week, theatrically and on VOD. Our own Danny King said it's "an atypical entry into the Christmas-movie genre, one characterized by both a genuine affection for the spirit of the holiday and a thorny character-study plot that, as is to be expected with [Zack] Clark, contains its share of edgy material."

5. American Hustle (David O. Russell; Dec. 13th)

american_hustle-e1386022625326-620x309.png

Synopsis: A con man, Irving Rosenfeld, along with his seductive British partner Sydney Prosser is forced to work for a wild FBI agent Richie DiMaso. DiMaso pushes them into a world of Jersey powerbrokers and mafia.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Complete with the star power a glitzy '70's-set caper might require, eyes are turned to David O. Russell to see if he can continue his streak following The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook. While those films turned what could have been heavily dramatic material (which, some would argue, might work more appropriately) into something much more jovial, American Hustle seems to better fit this approach. Expectations are set to have a rollicking good time alongside the likes of Christian Bale, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams, Jeremy Renner, and Bradley Cooper, so let's hope the film delivers on that front.

4. The Selfish Giant (Clio Barnard; Dec. 20th)

selfishgiant_03-620x312.jpg

Synopsis: This loose update of the Oscar Wilde fable tells the tale of raging, impulsive Arbor, a boy kicked out of school and into an illegal trade, stealing copper cable for sale.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  After delivering one of the most striking, effective films of the last few years with The Arbor, director Clio Barnard has returned with a new drama, which will finally hit VOD and theatrical release this month. Following two trouble-making boys (Conner Chapman and Shaun Thomas), the film's been acclaimed since its Cannes premiere, so we're greatly looking forward to seeking it out in a short time.

3. Her (Spike Jonze; Dec. 18th)

her_jonze-e1386022551383-620x272.jpg

Synopsis: A lonely writer develops an unlikely relationship with his newly purchased operating system that's designed to meet his every need.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: A comparable next step following his short take on robot love with I'm Here, Her provides one of the most well-realized relationships on screen this year, between Joaquin Phoenix's Theodore Twombly and his operating system, voiced by Scarlett Johansson. It's no small feat that Jonze makes this believable, but it's his immaculate production design of the near-future that helps completely sell this world. While not without its problems (detailed in our review out of NYFF), Her is still bound to be one of the more impressive films you'll see this month.

2. Inside Llewyn Davis (Joel and Ethan Coen; Dec. 6th)

llewyn_davis.jpg

Synopsis: A week in the life of a young singer as he navigates the Greenwich Village folk scene of 1961.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: The mark of a great film is one that, no matter an initial impression, seeps into the deepest recesses of one's mind and leaves a lasting impact. While I was enthused after a screening of the Coens' latest during NYFF, it's one of the year's few films that I haven't been able to shake in the following weeks -- not that I would want to. As we said in our Cannes review, this is a "vivid portrait of what it means to be a starving artist" and perhaps the Coens' most emotionally affecting film.

1. The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese; Dec. 25th)

wolf_of_wall_street.jpg

Synopsis: Based on the true story of Jordan Belfort, from his rise to a wealthy stockbroker living the high life to his fall involving crime, corruption and the federal government.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Our early looks at Martin Scorsese's upcoming drama provide endless comparisons that the director was returning to the world of an excessive life of crime not seen since the likes of Goodfellas -- and, judging from the first response, it was warranted. While the Leonardo DiCaprio-led film won't be seen in theaters until Christmas Day, early buzz suggests it is a no-holds-barred dive into a drug-fueled world, something that seems perfectly suited for Scorsese. With a three-hour runtime and a cut that nearly received an NC-17 rating, we can think of no better present this holiday.

Complete List

• Breakfast with Curtis (Abr.) - 12/4
• Out of the Furnace (Rela.) - 12/4
• Commitment (WGUSA) - 12/6
• Inside Llewyn Davis (CBS) - 12/6
• Khumba (MNE) - 12/6
• The Last Days on Mars (Magn.) - 12/6
• Swerve (Cohen) - 12/6
• Nuclear Nation (FRun) - 12/11
• American Hustle (Sony) - 12/13
• Here Comes the Devil (Magn.) - 12/13
• The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (WB) - 12/13
• Liv & Ingmar (Jan.) - 12/13
• Saving Mr. Banks (BV) - 12/13
• Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas (LGF) - 12/13
• Anchorman: The Legend Continues (Par.) - 12/18
• Her (2013) (WB) - 12/18
• Dhoom 3 (Yash) - 12/20
• The Past (SPC) - 12/20
• The Selfish Giant (IFC) - 12/20
• Walking with Dinosaurs (Fox) - 12/20
• 47 Ronin (Uni.) - 12/25
• August: Osage County (Wein.) - 12/25
• Believe (ORF) - 12/25
• Grudge Match (WB) - 12/25
• The Invisible Woman (SPC) - 12/25
• Lone Survivor (Uni.) - 12/25
• The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Fox) - 12/25
• The Wolf of Wall Street (Par.) - 12/25
• One Chance (Wein.) - 12/27

What are you watching this month?

ivysaur12

Banned
I want to see:

Philomena
Saving Mr. Banks
Anchorman 2
American Hustle
Her
Wolf of Wall Street

OSCAR SEAAAASSOOOOOOON

kirblar

Not Hobbit Part 2. First was a bloated mess. Llewen Davis, Wolf, Anchorman 2, American Hustle, Lone Survivor are all maybes.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The Past (in February)
Inside Llewyn Davis (In January)
Her (In January)
The Wolf of Wall Street (In January)

Australian release dates suck.;p but at least Jan-Feb here are looking like a pretty packed month esp with Blue is the Warmest Colour and 12-years a slave coming out during that period.

Raxus

Hunger Games, Saving Mr. Banks (I love Tom Hanks), Anchorman

Eventually, Wolf of Wall Street. Sitting through a 3 hour movie will be tough but maybe around New Years?

I had Out of the Furnace on this list yesterday, but removed it. Saw it last night and was super disappointed. Misguided, nonsensical third act and Woody Harrelson is a crazy, scene-chewing villain in a different movie.

Also heard Desolation of Smaug is a good deal better than An Unexpected Journey (obviously), but couldn't muster it up to make a mention of it on the list.

kirblar

It's odd, I'm normally a TV guy, but there hasn't been much "good" stuff the last few months, but the Movie quality has just been leagues above what it normally is. Kinda nice to have a change of pace where I'm going out to the movies a lot.

FairyD

Isn't The Secret Life of Walter Mitty also coming out this month?

I'll probably be seeing

American Hustle
Her
and Wolf of Wall Street (3 hour run time drool)

Edit: Shit lots of good movies opening on xmas.

I had Out of the Furnace on this list yesterday, but removed it. Saw it last night and was super disappointed. Misguided, nonsensical third act and Woody Harrelson is a crazy, scene-chewing villain in a different movie.

the cast was great but the director of "crazy heart" didn't really excite me

looks like a pretty good month finally.. i feel like i haven't been to the movies in ages

kris.

Banned
so many good movies coming out this month ugh

inside llewyn davis
the wolf on wall street
american hustle
the hobbit
anchorman (oooooooooooooooooo yes pls)
her

i mean

dang
also wasn't expecting lone survivor to get good reviews. i love marky mark though so i'll prolly be seeing that, too

I'll definitely go see Saving Mr. Banks, I've been waiting for that movie for awhile now. Might go see the second Hobbit movie.

UberTag

the selfish giant was really brilliant. Only thing i'm looking forward to is "Her?".
The Selfish Giant was astounding. Caught a screening at TIFF. It's the one film I always bring up when people ask me what non-mainstream hit made the most vivid impression on me at the festival.

It's currently 8th on my best of the year list.

American Hustle, Wolf of Wall Street, Out of the Furnace, The Hobbit 2, Secret Life of Walter Mitty, and Anchorman 2 for sure, Inside Llewyn Davis and Her if our theater gets them (doubtful, unfortunately), Saving Mr. Banks if I feel like it (doubtful though), and I'm sure I'll get dragged along to Walking with Dinosaurs and 47 Ronin somehow.

The Selfish Giant was astounding. Caught a screening at TIFF. It's the one film I always bring up when people ask me what non-mainstream hit made the most vivid impression on me at the festival.

Glad to hear the buzz is justified! Hoping to get my hands on a screener before year's end lists.

TDLink

For Me:
  • American Hustle
  • Saving Mr. Banks
  • The Hobbit DoS
  • Secret Life of Walter Mitty
  • 47 Ronin
  • Wolf of Wall Street

Luckily I get to see it all for free or it would be a pretty expensive month.

kris.

Banned
For Me:
  • American Hustle
  • Saving Mr. Banks
  • The Hobbit DoS
  • Secret Life of Walter Mitty
  • 47 Ronin
  • Wolf of Wall Street

Luckily I get to see it all for free or it would be a pretty expensive month.

ohhh shit that comes out this month, too. will be badass.

when does dallas buyer's club get a wide release?

thenexus6

I'd like to catch..

• Breakfast with Curtis (Abr.) - 12/4
• Out of the Furnace (Rela.) - 12/4
• Commitment (WGUSA) - 12/6
• Inside Llewyn Davis (CBS) - 12/6
• Khumba (MNE) - 12/6
• The Last Days on Mars (Magn.) - 12/6
• Swerve (Cohen) - 12/6
• Nuclear Nation (FRun) - 12/11
• American Hustle (Sony) - 12/13
• Here Comes the Devil (Magn.) - 12/13
• The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (WB) - 12/13
• Liv & Ingmar (Jan.) - 12/13
• Saving Mr. Banks (BV) - 12/13
• Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas (LGF) - 12/13
• Anchorman: The Legend Continues (Par.) - 12/18
• Her (2013) (WB) - 12/18

• Dhoom 3 (Yash) - 12/20
• The Past (SPC) - 12/20
• The Selfish Giant (IFC) - 12/20
• Walking with Dinosaurs (Fox) - 12/20
• 47 Ronin (Uni.) - 12/25
• August: Osage County (Wein.) - 12/25
• Believe (ORF) - 12/25
• Grudge Match (WB) - 12/25
• The Invisible Woman (SPC) - 12/25
• Lone Survivor (Uni.) - 12/25
• The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Fox) - 12/25
• The Wolf of Wall Street (Par.) - 12/25
• One Chance (Wein.) - 12/27

AnkitT

Completely agree! How they handled the last third was the most beautiful thing i've seen this year so far, especially the minimal dialogue aspect of it all.

The Hobbit- I actually still really liked the first movie. The weakest of the Middle Earth films, but still very enjoyable.
Anchorman- Why not?
American Hustle- Seems like a goofier Argo. Not a must see, but I have some friends who think it looks good.
Wolf of Wall Street- With such a bombastic trailer, it's hard not to be excited about this one.
Saving Mr. Banks- Looks perfect for a movie to catch with the family over the holidays.
Walter Mitty- Ben Stiller is three for three on the movies he's directed and the cinematography for this one is beautiful. I know early reviews weren't great, but I'm thinking a large portion of those people wanted the movie to be something that it isn't.
Inside Llewyn Davis (If it plays here)- I've made it no secret that the Coen Brothers are far and away my favorite filmmakers.

Ridley327

I doubt we're getting Her around these parts until its wide expansion in January, but that still leaves plenty of time for American Hustle, Out of the Furnace, The Wolf of Wall Street, Inside Llewyn Davis, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, and hopefully Nebraska during an expansion.

So yeah, I'm doing OK this month.

overcast

Pretty damn good month.

Watching:
The Hobbit (in HFR)
Inside Llewyn Davis (probably won't hit my theaters until lay December)
Her (probably in January)
Wolf of Wall Street

Maybe:
American Hustle

I can't wait for Her or Llewyn Davis. Skeptical about Hobbit and Wolf. I didn't care for Silver Linings Playbook at all, so I'm very unsure hustle will be good.

Watching Frozen and maybe Hunger Games early this month.

omgkitty

I have a lot films to see this month.

American Hustle
The Wolf of Wall Street
Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Great Beauty
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
The Hobbit

I'll admit I get goosebumps watching the trailers for The Wolf of Wall Street (dat Black Skinhead) and Her (all the feels). Actually had a friend of mine talk shit about Her after the trailer finished playing when I went to see a movie recently, and I don't think I want to be their friend any more.

Blader

Really packed month for me:

The Wolf of Wall Street
American Hustle
Anchorman 2
Inside Llewyn Davis
Out of the Furnace
Her (probably won't be seeing this til Jan.)
The Unknown Known (who knows when this will be out anywhere else)

The Hobbit
Inside Llewyn Davis (why can't this come out sooner in the UK :()
Wolf Of Wall Street
Her
American Hustle
Anchorman 2

May be some other films I'm missing...

Smellycat

People actually want to watch "Her"? The trailer I watched was so awkward and uncomfortable to sit through.

It is like someone decided to make a movie about a functional Siri. uhhhh....

Decado

These ones interest me the most:

The Wolf of Wall Street
American Hustle
Out of the Furnace
Lone Survivor

Not sure if I'll see any of them in theatre, though. Depends on reviews/impressions, I guess.

People actually want to watch "Her"? The trailer I watched was so awkward and uncomfortable to sit through.

I'm kinda interested in, but because of the reviews, not the trailer that made it look like Automated Magic Pixie Girl comes in and helps Sad Rich White Man with his problems.

Ha, sounds like a good time to me!

It is decent entertainment, just doesn't leave much of a lasting impact. More of a straight-up genre movie.

It's handled about as best as it could -- which means its very, very good. A lot of people I know think it's the best film of 2013, but I wouldn't go that far.

Echoing earlier sentiments, The Selfish Giant was the best movie I saw at TIFF this year. Great stuff.

I'm most excited to see The Past and of course new Coen Bros. I'll watch The Hobbit, too, because I love that HFR 3D presentation (even though the first movie was a bloated mess).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom