• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crow | Rotten Watch

Doczu

Serious question: how good is the original movie? I've read and heard a lot of prasie, but isn't it "good" cause of Brandon dying during filming and it becoming a cult classic because of that? I was a but too young when it came out and never watched it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I read the comics a few years back, liked it, even if it was a bit... Weird (in a good way)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Serious question: how good is the original movie? I've read and heard a lot of prasie, but isn't it "good" cause of Brandon dying during filming and it becoming a cult classic because of that? I was a but too young when it came out and never watched it 🤷🏻‍♂️

I read the comics a few years back, liked it, even if it was a bit... Weird (in a good way)
Good movie. And the official soundtrack is solid too.

It's a low budget dark movie. And released in 1994. So dont expect miracle effects, jawdropping CGI or anything like that. It's actually a predictable revenge plot seen in a million other movies where bad guys and the kingpin boss all get knocked off. But the movie has style, and a kind of sadness to it. Not because Brandon Lee died, but the way the plot and characters and mood are, ya the bad guys get killed so it's a happy ending, but in a disheartening way.

Great movie. Great performance from Brandon Lee. Great soundtrack. The pinnacle of 90s gritty cinema. It's one of my favorites.

Trilobit

The Crow Movie GIF

Legit one of the best movies.
Brandon Lee had so much charisma, I think he would have gone one superstardom

I feel the same when I think about River Phoenix who actually also died in 1993.

Going to give the soundtrack for this a listen and gather some thoughts on my ideas of a modern Crow movie remake in light of this release and what would be on the soundtrack...

🤔

Some thoughts gathered and was going to wait to watch the movie but it's weeks until it releases on streaming...

With the soundtrack it might've been better for them to follow the pattern of the original and have more songs composed/covered by suitable current artists. There's lots out there.

One thing I liked about the original film was the setup of corruption advancing and destruction of the innocent implied across all strata in that world which allowed the personal story to emerge.

If the villains are raised and woven into feuds involving more than two factions, alongside the near complete destabilization of society due to corruption, causing so much suffering that a murder of crow enchanted undead emerge at once seeking vengeance for love guided by a higher dimensional force might find an audience with me. There's some very strong Shakespearean characterizations available for this. Even a place for many characters to re-emerge.
Could explore love in different forms like in the original film. Amour, family, friendship, community, spiritual and the effects of unquestionable corruption on each with a mindful cure delivered with the hits. Make it fast paced intellectually and packed with moral philosophical information.

CrippledGod

Banned
The one good thing out of this disaster is that the whole discourse made me want to watch the original.
Never seen it before!
Hashtagweekendplans.

JCK75

I was being open minded about a remake of the crow, but it sounds like they got absolutely nothing about it right..
I was just thinking about the original and how this song just does not get the amount of love it deserves.

I was being open minded about a remake of the crow, but it sounds like they got absolutely nothing about it right..
I was just thinking about the original and how this song just does not get the amount of love it deserves.

They also didn't use any real prop guns because of the superstitious nature of Brandon Lee dying on set in the original movie. Most of the them are Airsoft guns, and the rest were rubber and metal decoys with no firing mechanisms and all of the effects for the guns had to be edited in post. Which, you know, would all be fine, if the movie didn't suck so incredibly badly.

Last edited:

kunonabi

They honestly missed every single point of the story. I thought it was bad enough from the trailer and the synopsis but the ending is a whole other level of pure stupidity.

Vyse

Gold Member
Actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I’ve seen much worse.

Doom85

Wtf so they're convicted criminals who fall in love? I don't remember much from the original but is that what happened there too?

Sounds more like she was trying to expose a kingpin and got arrested on purpose with drug possession as the kingpin was going to kill her otherwise. Eric just happens to be in the rehabilitation center she ends up in.

Like, maybe there’s more they did, but it sounds like at most they had some drug abuse problems, not necessarily immoral criminals. Considering Eric was a rock artist in the original, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he dabbled in some drugs in that version (maybe they confirmed it or not, been a long time since I saw the original).

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Saw the Pitch Meeting for this.

They’re criminals?
The villain’s got a deal with the devil?
Eric doesn’t actually become The Crow until the final act?
She
comes back to fucking life??

What is this dumb shit?

It’s meant to be about Eric’s revenge, not her personal fucking bullshit. So 2024.

Last edited:
Actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I’ve seen much worse.
I agree. I went into it expecting the absolute worst, and I came out of it thinking, "hmm, I actually didn't hate that". Now I'm not very nostalgic for the original, I think I've seen it once as a teenager and thought it was just fine, but I think critics were very harsh on this one.

Now, sure, the original is way better and there was no good reason to do a remake. If you can't get past that, then you'll probably hate this and I just wouldn't bother. For what it is though, I think it's a pretty decent watch. Perfectly fine to stream with a few drinks and have a laugh at on a Saturday night.

What surprised me is that it dared to try something completely different from the original, and even though it wasn't all that great, I do respect the attempt. They focus heavily on the relationship and try to build the character of Draven up before he becomes the Crow, instead of him becoming it after like ten minutes.

I thought the leads had pretty decent chemistry together, and although it does drag on for too long, I didn't dislike their relationship. Overall it looked pretty decent, including what I thought was a pretty cool opening scene involving a horse, and once the action finally starts, it's satisfyingly bloody and brutal. Bill Skarsgard is definitely trying his best, and although Boy Kills World did it better earlier this year, he's pretty good in the fight scenes.

It's not something to take all that seriously, I mean it certainly has the vibe of a 1980's b flick, but I had a surprising amount of fun with it. To me it's like the good kind of poorly-written schlock. Stupid but enjoyable.

Certainly not the worst film I've seen this year. That would be Borderlands, or Ghostbusters Frozen Empire, or Breathe, or The Killer. Damn we've had some real stinkers so far.

Top Bottom