• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 YEARS AGO TODAY the world learned the first details of what would be Dreamcast

Tailzo said:
Is Lindbergh (or what it was called) The only "gaming hardware" made by Sega in recent years, or do they make several different arcade machines? Oh, and did I hear about some Sega Karaoke machines?

Dreamcast may be dead to most people, but I still play it more often than any other previous gen console. I guess I just loved the quirky games for it. Toy Commander and Powerstone 2 are huge multiplayer winners. I try to stay away from finishing the Shenmue games yet again, since no mention of Shenmue III makes me sad. The original japanese Seaman box is sitting proudly on the TV in my living room, House of the Dead 2 and the gun is still ready for action, Crazy Taxi 2 (Yes, I loved it) has a nice steering wheel ready to use, ect.

I wish Sega hasn't made such insane errors before. Confusing people with 2 addons? Releasing the Saturn focusing on great 2d power? Using a wrinkly old man without a shirt in the few Dreamcast ads I saw in Europe?

Lindbergh is pretty much it these days. It's basicly a low-end PC, it's hardly custom, other than perhaps tools. there was supposed to be a low-end 'Aurora' board, with performance inbetween NAOMI and NAOMI 2, but Aurora never really showed up AFAIK.

bogg

I remember when Sega used to ****ING RAWWKK!
I miss you old buddy )"
btw I never had a dreamcast pls don't hate me k?

GameGamer

Razoric said:
Ahh yes the Dreamcast. GAF's most overrated system. The controller sucked, the VMU sucked (BEEP) and most of the games sucked. Rest in pieces, DC.

I loved the DC through the VGA adapter.

Shenmue and Tony Hawk in all that high res goodness!!!!!!

icecream

Public Health Threat
duk said:
The DC was so awesome, if only it had a dvd drive.
2uqn60k.jpg

If only...

The Dreamcast still has a couple of the greatest games ever.

Cedeo said:
When did we find out that Shenmue was in development?

I'm replying on my Wii so it's not easy, quick or convienint to do researh & type (lol), but I know that for Shenmue, even before 'Project Berkley' was announced in what, late 1998, websites reported on 'Virtua Fighter RPG' ...i want to say mid 1998... l'll have to follow up on that with links.

VF RPG was said to feature an area based on the 'Tower of Babel' DC tech-demo which was seen just before E3 1998.

edit: ahh here's one (now two) of the articles i was looking for:

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/064/064914p1.html
Virtua Fighter RPG: The Story so Far
Some juicy tidbits emerge about this classic-in-the-making
by IGN Staff

September 18, 1998 - This much-anticipated title is very, very early in development at the moment, and the gossip that it will ship at launch is totally unfounded. According to IGNDC's deep undercover operatives, the game is currently being shown to developers in video format, and features a young Shun (the drunken old guy from VF2 and 3) wandering about a basic environment.

Right now, it's not known if any of the established characters are in there (presumably the game is set before any of the others are born), but the video has revealed the Tower of Babel (the one from the demo) is one of the stages.

More details as soon as we have them. Maybe. If you ask us nicely, and we feel like being magnanimous.

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/065/065138p1.html
Virtua Fighter RPG -- The Official Story
AM2's chief confirms the game once known as "VF RPG," but much is still under wraps
by IGN Staff

October 6, 1998 - "Project Berkely" is the odd working title for the game that Sega's top brass have proclaimed will revolutionize gaming as we know it. In development for the better part of three years, and formerly referred to as "Virtua Fighter RPG," the game has an unlimited budget and Sega's top game designer behind it.

Its creator, AM2 division head Yu "Mr Virtua Fighter" Suzuki says he just likes the name, but as excited as he appears about what lies behind it, he's not willing to spill the beans just yet. Unwilling to categorize the project as either an adventure or role-playing game, he did open up just a little on a few points.

First of all, the game will indeed complete its development cycle early in the New Year, in order to make a spring launch in Japan. However, Suzuki-san has devoted the past three years of his life to the project, and we'd be hard pressed to think that he wouldn't take any extra time necessary to get it just right. He's calling this his landmark game, and a complete departure from what he's done in the past. In short, his career's crowning achievement.

Secondly come game details, few as they may be. Berkely is obviously some form of hybrid adventure/role-playing experience, and Suzuki has confirmed that it will feature no less than five hundred characters that may be interacted with. His goal all along has been to create a massive game world (the largest ever conceived, by his account), and a realistic one to boot. There was talk of people-packed streets, frolicking animals, and even airplanes. In essence, a living, breathing game world. Not much to go on yet, but intriguing nonetheless.

Questioned on the game's theme, Suzuki called it a universal one that he believes will appeal to players in all countries Dreamcast reaches. As for difficulty, he likened it to Super Mario 64. And as for scope? Final Fantasy evidently doesn't stand a chance.

When will we see it? Sega's official lineup has Project Berkely (it'll change, trust us) for April 1999 in Japan. Our money's on it being a US launch title next September. Early Dreamcast adopters may even get a sneak peek at some of the game's conceptual art and character designs thanks to the Virtua Fighter Team Battle disc due at launch.

Yu Suzuki has produced some of Sega's top games, and those who have seen his odd-named (and officially home-only) project say that it's light years beyond anything he's done before, and any videogame they're ever seen. Enough to get your hopes up, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure Virtua Fighter RPG was mentioned before September 1998

Segata Sanshiro said:
I can't believe Sega didn't try harder after I redirected a missile into outer space for this system.

Dreamcast had more computing muscle than all of the computers on the Space Shuttle combined.

now, if only this realistic approach to Dreamcast 2 had been realized before SEGA pulled the plug

Sega to license Dreamcast out?

Brief: Some very interesting plans may be in the works at Sega. Including Dreamcast 2.

Related Links: ADR

Reporter
Michael Custer

Date
6/12/2000

The Asian Wall Street Journal is reporting that Sega is in talks to license Dreamcast technology to other companies. Also, Sega is negotiating with various semiconductor companies to to form a joint venture that would build an advanced chip to power the next incarnation of the Dreamcast, as well as other devices. The JV could open as soon as October of this year.

"The future game box will be an all-in-one, set-top box," Sega Vice Chairman Shoichiro Irimajiri said in a telephone interview. "In that case, Sega's role is one part of many functions, so we cannot do it alone. We need very good alliances or a joint venture."

Apparently, Sega is already talking to potential licensees, including automobile companies, hardware makers, and satellite-television and cable-TV providers. These talks have been confirmed by Mr. Irimajiri.

The AWSJ reports that Mr. Irimajiri traveled last week to the U.S. and this week to Europe, to meet with up to 15 companies to discuss Sega's plan. He emphasized that the discussions are preliminary and he declined to identify the companies involved. "Everything is still unclear," he said. It looks like Sega is approaching NEC Corp., Hitachi Ltd., Philips Electronics NV; chip maker STMicroelectronics NV, who is making their own next generation graphics chip based on the PowerVR technology that powers the Dreamcast, and Imagination Technologies, the Company behind the PowerVR technology itself.

According to the AWSJ, officials at NEC, Hitachi and Imagination Technologies declined to comment. A spokesman at Philips said the executives he contacted were unaware of any talks with Sega. Officials at STMicroelectronics couldn't be reached for comment.

Chip makers are the likely partners because Sega hopes to build a complex processor for use in Internet appliances, the people familiar with the plans said. Sega appears to be looking to put many functions of a game machine onto one piece of silicon, making it easy to integrate advanced computer graphics into other products.

Also, in reference to the free Dreamcast plan "If our intuition is right Sega will be the dominant force in the narrowband Internet world," Mr. Irimajiri said in the report. It was also stated that he believes broadband won't be widely available until 2005.

-- Michael Custer

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2000/6/12-69

Would've have kicked the CRAP out of PS2 (as well as Cube & Xbox) especially if SEGA was doing Dreamcast 2 with parners, as a industry standard. I have no doubt it would've been more powerful than PS2-GCN-Xbox (and perhaps Wii) though not as strong as the 360 or PS3. this Dreamcast 2 would've probably have launched in 2002-2003

(not being serious now).........and now we'd be awaiting the launch of Dreamcast 3 in 2009 :lol

Sonki.

Banned
Rabid Wolverine said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzaYKQO0AyQ

Sonic Adventure and Segata Sanshiro were the bomb!
Sonic Adventure was the only game EVER to make my jaw drop.

Ordered the Japanese Console near japanese launch date. Cracked the system open and started the first level of sonic. I couldn't believe it. It was fricken amazing.

Only game that came close to the same feeling was Rallisport 2.

Johnny

Dreamcast's biggest flaw was the lack of 3rd party support, I mean how do you sell systems without EA, Square and Konami? Capcom pledged some decent support with RE:CV and all those cheap ports, but that was it really.

I still turn my Dreamcast on from time to time, mostly to play NES games but it's being used!

Johnny said:
Dreamcast's biggest flaw was the lack of 3rd party support, I mean how do you sell systems without EA, Square and Konami? Capcom pledged some decent support with RE:CV and all those cheap ports, but that was it really.

I still turn my Dreamcast on from time to time, mostly to play NES games but it's being used!

EA had a chip on their shoulder against Sega, or maybe just remembered the lousy sales of their stuff on the Saturn. Square was still in exclusive mode at the time. Konami pulled out for the most part after their first few games sold badly.

The Dreamcast was the James Dean of consoles: It lived fast, died hard, and left a good-looking, albeit smoke-stained, corpse behind.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
hearing about the start of the dreamcast is nice and all, but all this thread managed to do was make me remember how awesome next gen was...

Scenester

I dont get why people say the DC controller sucks, because it doesnt. I love the fact that you stick the memory card inside it and the screen has some picture or most likely the title of the game you were playing. It was AWESOME in RE:CV how your status was displayed on it.

D-X

Scenester said:
I dont get why people say the DC controller sucks, because it doesnt. I love the fact that you stick the memory card inside it and the screen has some picture or most likely the title of the game you were playing. It was AWESOME in RE:CV how your status was displayed on it.

Playing Virtua Tennis just by looking at the VM screen was awesome.

The status on the VM in RE:CV was a much needed addition to the series pressing pause after each hit was stupid.

I think Skies of Arcadia was the last game to fully utilise the VM with Pinta's Quest and the Cham locator.

Its a pity more developers didn't put the time into to add VM features

The beeping was a really bad idea though - later VM models only shrilled for half the time though. It made playing at night annoying when you're trying to be quiet.

Scenester said:
I dont get why people say the DC controller sucks, because it doesnt.

Yes, it does. The shape is the most unergonomic piece of shit ever. Just because you could stick a little beeping mini-gameboy in the top of it doesn't make it a good controller. If a controller is not comfortable it sucks. The Dreamcast controller sucks.

Johnny said:

Castlevania was gonna come out for Dreamcast.

mr_nothin

Banned
TheIkariWarrior said:
It was March 13, 1997 when the general public would learn, via a report on Next Generation Online, some of the first real details Sega's last console.

http://web.archive.org/web/19970417001506/www.next-generation.com/news/031397a.chtml

at the time, the project was only known to the world outside SEGA, as Black Belt.

but NGO nailed three critical details

*PowerVR graphics chip
*Microsoft OS
*late 1998 release (Japan)

most of the stuff put out on websites and in magazines regarding Sega's next console before this report came out was merely rumor & speculation. This article was no rumor, but the first actual public report about what would be a real Sega console.

Yes, I know, the "Black Belt" machine was actually the Sega of America project using 3Dfx, which was eventually canceled. However although the article mentions Black Belt, what NGO was actually unknowingly talking about, which they and everyone discovered a few weeks or months later, were early details of the Sega of Japan project; Dural, later named Katana.

Later articles by Next Generation Online, Next Generation Magazine and the rest of the media would tell us that Sega had two consoles in development, in parallel, for a final shootout to see which one would get to replace the Saturn. ....it was pretty much fixed that the SoJ Dural/Katana would win, for various reasons.... that's another story.

The report describes an early version of the Dural/Katana which would later have a customized PowerVR2 instead of PCX2 (re: PowerVR1 "version 2"), the machine that would indeed eventually become known to us all as, Dreamcast. :D

MY GOD man
Let it go, the Dreamcast is gone and done with....
You people are giving games anniversaries and probably cant remember you're own anniversary. You're glorifying a day that we found out some freakin info lol. Who....nevermind...continue

mr_nothin said:
MY GOD man
Let it go,

<snipped>

vas_a_morir said:
man, I miss Shenmue so bad.

it wasn't so great as a game, but it was great as a virtual world to explore. nobody but SEGA had the guts to try such things at the time.

when word of 'Black Belt' came out, it was during this time that I really got into the internet, reading message boards, I was excited about Sega again because I had not really gotten into the Saturn after it had been such a disppointment to me, compared to the Genesis. the hope that Sega's 3D arcade games could be reasonably translated home without massive loss in quality was very very alluring to me, and most of the Sega fanbase.

does anyone remember the Black Belt Headquarters message board?

the old url was http://207.158.206.22/bbhq/index.html

then there was the duralhq

http://duralhq.interspeed.net/

these are the places I hung out on before GAF :)

Cedeo

TheIkariWarrior said:
I'm replying on my Wii so it's not easy, quick or convienint to do researh & type (lol), but I know that for Shenmue, even before 'Project Berkley' was announced in what, late 1998, websites reported on 'Virtua Fighter RPG' ...i want to say mid 1998... l'll have to follow up on that with links.

VF RPG was said to feature an area based on the 'Tower of Babel' DC tech-demo which was seen just before E3 1998.

edit: ahh here's one (now two) of the articles i was looking for:

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/064/064914p1.html

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/065/065138p1.html

I'm pretty sure Virtua Fighter RPG was mentioned before September 1998

Cheers, this is what I love about Gaf, so much effort just goes into a simple question.. Thanks again :)

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
If the 3Dfx processor had been selected, the Dreamcast would've launched several weeks earlier and with many times the supply of units at launch, which would've capitalized on great initial demand for the console in Japan, but would've had graphics that were more than one generation worse.

The Sega Sammy Aurora is already in use, for the company's new pachislot machines.

Lazy8s said:
If the 3Dfx processor had been selected, the Dreamcast would've launched several weeks earlier and with many times the supply of units at launch, which would've capitalized on great initial demand for the console in Japan, but would've had graphics that were more than one generation worse.

the 3Dfx graphic chip for the Sega Black Belt was more or less a derivative of the Banshee, or essentially a Banshee 1.5, and something short of Banshee2 aka Voodoo3, right ?

also, unlike the many prototypes of Katana/Dreamcast that we've seen,
this is an alleged picture of the Black Belt casing:
blackbelt__01_t.jpg

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Those familiar with the 3Dfx processor say that it was a console-customized variant of the Voodoo2, having the two TMUs, with adaptations for the system environment and TV display.

Lazy8s said:
Those familiar with the 3Dfx processor say that it was a console-customized variant of the Voodoo2, having the two TMUs, with adaptations for the system environment and TV display.

hmmm.

I wonder why it was Voodoo2, that would've meant 3 seperate chips for graphics.
(PixelFX2 - TexelFX2 - TexelFX2)

unless it was all intergrated on one chip like Banshee2/Voodoo3.

Diablohead said:
Dreamcast will never die, not with F355 and a steering wheel FTW, along with tons of other still played dc titles :)

And Dreamcast will always be a cheap internet device, even with SegaNet gone, nothing can stop you getting online to say something on a message board or IRC. As for games, I play a few times a week. so many games I have that i havent even really dug into. Dreamcast will have its place in my gaming life for years to come :)

Top Bottom