• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1001 Spikes |OT| +1 spike

Seems like the life count is a score of sorts. For true pros the question will be how high you can get it. But probably meaningless all the same.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Played about 3 hours today and got to 4-4

Might go back and collect stuff since it's kicking my ass pretty hard.

There is a huge amount of content in the game for the price and you will constantly be surprised as you think you are running out of it.

... Seriously. This game! ...

If you enjoy the style, it is a great pickup for the price.
Thanks. Just wish there was a demo. The only really bad thing about PSN taking the digital and indie crown from XBLA is that demos aren't a requirement. This is a HUGE step backwards. MS had it so right with that policy.

Lucent

Thanks. Just wish there was a demo. The only really bad thing about PSN taking the digital and indie crown from XBLA is that demos aren't a requirement. This is a HUGE step backwards. MS had it so right with that policy.

Yeah. But apparently it was costing them too much time and money to make those demos. And then there was the whole demos can hurt sales thing. Which it can if it sucks or isn't made well.

My lives are back in the positives now after picking up an artifact that gave me +250 lives lol. So much for getting -1001...but ill do that another day.

Just reached 6-1. 19/30 skulls and I've unlocked 3 characters so far. Also have about 5000 coins. You can buy extra lives and a cut scene viewer from the shop. Things are shown when you have the amount of coins needed.

I'm in love with this game. I only paid $5 because of the discount but I would easily pay $15 for it.

batbeg

So I finally unlocked another character
Commander Video
at maybe 10 golden skulls. I've noticed this character collects their own "currency" in the form of coins
which makes sense
, but is there any purpose in me going out of my way to find these? They're in the same place as the golden skulls but some of those were annoying to grab...

Commander Video
at maybe 10 golden skulls. I've noticed this character collects their own "currency" in the form of coins
which makes sense
, but is there any purpose in me going out of my way to find these? They're in the same place as the golden skulls but some of those were annoying to grab...

You use coins to buy things like lives, outfits, and levels. All unlockable characters share the same coins, so you can use your favorite to collect them

Finally beat 4-4 (skipped it originally) and then the 6th world. Haven't noticed anyone else mention the secret character you get when you beat it.....
Jonathan Blow! He's called El Testigo, which I don't get, but the Braid music plays in his stages, and he uses a laptop to send programmer code at enemies. Awesome. He also dies like the guy in Braid, falling in an arc to the bottom of the screen....no rewinding time though!

Commander Video
which makes sense

All side characters have the same coins to collect. There's a specific character with a huge moveset that is way easier to get coins with, so I'd just leave them until then. You will unlock a shop with more characters to buy.

What is the consequence for skipping? Can you do it as much as you want?

I only skipped 4-4, but there's no consequence to that. You have to go back and beat whatever you skipped before entering level 6 though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just played this for a couple minutes.
Already love it, the controls and feel are excellent. Can easily see this becoming my new obsession.

Dartastic

I played 1000 Spikes and I really enjoyed it, but the 15 dollar price tag is kinda putting me off. If I remember correctly, wasn't 1000 spikes only like a buck or something on XBL?

HUELEN10

Read the OP and seen stuff about it elsewhere, but haven't dug through the thread as I want a game like this to feel fresh to me. Should I buy it on Wii U, or save half the cost by buying it in Xbox 360 Indie Games?

I mean, what is the difference? I keep reading enhanced remake, but how so? Also, is it rendered in 1080p on Wii U?

Don't know if I should get the Wii U one, the 360 one, or wait until I get a the One and buy it on that.

Nairume

Banned
Read the OP and seen stuff about it elsewhere, but haven't dug through the thread as I want a game like this to feel fresh to me. Should I buy it on Wii U, or save half the cost by buying it in Xbox 360 Indie Games?

I mean, what is the difference? I keep reading enhanced remake, but how so? Also, is it rendered in 1080p on Wii U?

Don't know if I should get the Wii U one, the 360 one, or wait until I get a the One and buy it on that.
It's an enhanced remake in the sense that it massively increases the level count, adds a bunch of unlockable and levels, and introduces several extra modes that can be played multiplayer.

HUELEN10

It's an enhanced remake in the sense that it massively increases the level count, adds a bunch of unlockable and levels, and introduces several extra modes that can be played multiplayer.
See, that's exactly what I was wondering. Now, does that mean It's safe to just jump in and ignore the 360 indie game? If so, I Might just buy this on the U right now! I know it says it allows for Pro Controller, but what about Classic Controller Pro?

I played 1000 Spikes and I really enjoyed it, but the 15 dollar price tag is kinda putting me off. If I remember correctly, wasn't 1000 spikes only like a buck or something on XBL?

As others have said, it's pretty overstuffed with fun little extras and Antartica. I didn't play the original, so I can't say if I would've paid full price otherwise, but if you really loved it, this is worth it. Otherwise maybe wait on a deal, there's a ton to enjoy here.

Just beat the main levels and saw the end credits for Aban...and there's more to do! ;)

You also unlock a character when you beat the game.

I decided to purchase the
cutscene viewer
from the shop. That costs 3000 gold. I was able to get about 5000 from running through the Tower of Nannar. Will probably do that again shortly and build up gold to see what else can be purchased.

This game is PACKED with content. Frustrating but satisfying when beating a level. A puzzle element, especially when trying to get skulls. Will keep you busy for a whileeee.

In my opinion, this is a game that feels perfect for playing on a vita/3ds. Tempted to double dip on the Steam version though, lol.

Coreda

Thanks for the OT Salsa, hadn't heard of it before. Damn though talk about how not to make a trailer. Needs way less text, it takes up most of the video instead of showing just the gameplay... Second video was much better like that.

jholmes

Commander Video
which makes sense

I would recommend playing one of those characters through at least a bit to unlock
the video gallery
. It's unlocked pretty quickly.

Zombie (Throws a bubble)
Unlocked at 23 skulls

President Thompson (shoots 3 bullets at once that spread a little)
Unlocked at 20 skulls

Sugimoto (swings a sword with a projectile. Can also air dash when jumping a second time)
Unlocked at 16 skulls

Tina Hawkins (shoots a gun and can hang on the edge of blocks)
Unlocked by beating main game.

Juni (shoots small projectile. Can also double jump and slowly float down when you hold the jump button)
Unlocked by ? skulls

Commander Video
Unlocked by ? skulls

All the characters I've unlocked so far and the different ways they play.

Zombie (Throws a bubble)
Unlocked at 23 skulls

Juni (shoots small projectile. Can also double jump and slowly float down when you hold the jump button)
Unlocked by ? skulls

All the characters I've unlocked so far and the different ways they play.

Zombie can get hit twice, head falls off and loses his bubble attack. Juni can also jump off and cling to walls to climb or slow descent. Makes many of the open stages stages much easier.

All levels done and all skulls unlocked.

Ended at x1256 lives. Feels damn good.

Had 50+ deaths on six levels 4-3, 5-2, 5-3, (late game)
10-1, 10-4 and 10-5
which to me makes the game reasonably balanced/fair for the genre. Of those levels, only 4-3 hit the 100 mark (the rest was about 50).
I'd also say those levels are not necessarily that much more difficult, just that you can rack up the deaths quickly on early elements.

Great game.

HUELEN10

Me said:
This game is so hardcore, it made my dick hurt.

This is already shaping up to be my pick for Game Of The Year, and it's only been an hour. It's hard, but fair, with no artifical difficulty bullshit to be seen. I cannot wait to try out multiplayer at my E3 party.

I mean, damn this game is good. So good, I almost feel guilty not buying it the second it came out. For those on the fence, just get it; worst case scenario is that you've bought one of the best local multiplayer games in years.

I've been really busy this week, but has there been any news of the 3DS patch?

I'm in the fifth world, so I'm still redoing the original game (beat it on XBLIG years ago). I would love to do some direct comparisons when I have some breathing time, but I feel like there might be some very small changes in some levels that make them just ever so slightly less evil. I would love to think that I'm just better at the game now, but that's just not the case, haha.

I will also join the 4-3 Club. I had over a hundred deaths there, but half of them was trying to figure out how to get in the door. The answer ended up being quite simple, but I rarely actually try to do things "slow" in games like this, you would think I would learn, since it always bites me somewhere. So far though that's the only level I feel has some real issues, the timing of the moving platforms with the other traps is one of the only times in the game I felt like you just didn't have full control over your deaths, even though you totally do, it's just a bit dirty on how you have to time them.

qbicfeet

I really love this game. There's just so much content and so many secrets to find, not only in the form of characters but also
shortcuts in the form of breakable blocks that are infinitely useful for speedrunners
Finally beat 4-4 (skipped it originally) and then the 6th world. Haven't noticed anyone else mention the secret character you get when you beat it.....
Jonathan Blow! He's called El Testigo, which I don't get, but the Braid music plays in his stages, and he uses a laptop to send programmer code at enemies. Awesome. He also dies like the guy in Braid, falling in an arc to the bottom of the screen....no rewinding time though!
I believe he's called El Testigo because he playtested the game during its development. His shots seem to slow everything on the screen (except himself) down whenever they hit an enemy.

Excellent, I have completed the original game's set of levels and now I'm ready to dive into all of the new content.

Well, I missed one Golden Skull, so I should probably go for that first.

OH YES. I asked Tyrone of Nicalis on Miiverse if they had plans to work with 8Bits Fanatics on an expanded version of Tempura of the Dead or a new game. He simply responded with a "Yes," so I can't say which part he was acknowledging, but I'm good either way.

sheaaaa

Excellent, I have completed the original game's set of levels and now I'm ready to dive into all of the new content.

Well, I missed one Golden Skull, so I should probably go for that first.

OH YES. I asked Tyrone of Nicalis on Miiverse if they had plans to work with 8Bits Fanatics on an expanded version of Tempura of the Dead or a new game. He simply responded with a "Yes," so I can't say which part he was acknowledging, but I'm good either way.

Tempura is another that I never got around to on XBLIG, so I'm hoping for an enhanced remake for that.

Tempura is another that I never got around to on XBLIG, so I'm hoping for an enhanced remake for that.
You know, I think I personally liked 1000 Spikes better (and this remake is turning out quite content filled), but I kind of think they would have been better off doing Tempura first as it has a bit more mainstream appeal.

But I'm glad to hear it might be coming later.

You know, I think I personally liked 1000 Spikes better (and this remake is turning out quite content filled), but I kind of think they would have been better off doing Tempura first as it has a bit more mainstream appeal.

But I'm glad to hear it might be coming later.

Yes, to Tempura of the Dead, but not a remake to the scale of 1001 Spikes.

Can someone explain to me how I got about using other characters? I'm about half way thru the games story mode and I have not unlocked any other characters to play as so I'm a little confused as I thought this was a big focal point of the game.

flowsnake

Can someone explain to me how I got about using other characters? I'm about half way thru the games story mode and I have not unlocked any other characters to play as so I'm a little confused as I thought this was a big focal point of the game.

Are you sure you don't have Commander Video? Scroll to the left in the character selection thing.

I believe you unlock them with skulls.

Are you sure you don't have Commander Video? Scroll to the left in the character selection thing.

I believe you unlock them with skulls.

That might explain it. I've only gotten 4 skulls.

But still, I'm on the lava level currently and I feel like I'm getting pretty close to the end and really want to start mixing things up. How do start getting more people if there's only a total of 30 skulls? Is there really any replay value once you beat the story mode if you're not looking to improve times?

ArjanN

That might explain it. I've only gotten 4 skulls.

But still, I'm on the lava level currently and I feel like I'm getting pretty close to the end and really want to start mixing things up. How do start getting more people if there's only a total of 30 skulls? Is there really any replay value once you beat the story mode if you're not looking to improve times?

There's a lot more content to unlock. The main campaign is only like a third of the total levels.

maxcriden

I just want to say that with lots of practice and Tyrone's helpful advice on Miiverse I was able to beat 2-5 and I feel very accomplished. I'm sure it will only get much harder from here. I'm really digging the game a great deal and I'm eager to see what it will throw at me next.

ArjanN

I just want to say that with lots of practice and Tyrone's helpful advice on Miiverse I was able to beat 2-5 and I feel very accomplished. I'm sure it will only get much harder from here. I'm really digging the game a great deal and I'm eager to see what it will throw at me next.

Be careful what you wish for... :p

Volcynika

Anyone beaten
Antarctica
? I"m really stuck at I think
10-4, where you have to keep altering the mirrors to put spikes up and down. I'm at the point where I think I need to use a penguin to alternate the spikes but I'm not sure what timing to use.

Anyone beaten
Antarctica
10-4, where you have to keep altering the mirrors to put spikes up and down. I'm at the point where I think I need to use a penguin to alternate the spikes but I'm not sure what timing to use.

Yes.

You need to use a penguin, twice.

Kind of hard to describe but you want to shoot the mirror when the penguin is all the way to the right (just past it) to trigger the spikes once. Then wait till it gets about half way towards you.

Shoot it to enrage the penguin. Now jump up and time it so you get onto the first spikes, then time it again for the next spikes.

You'll then be safe to wait and do a low jump onto the ice block (this jump is tricky, be a little further away from the spikes than you expect). Push the ice block and hop on.

Then again shoot the penguin and jump down when the next set of spikes is "up". Hopefully you will time it right and can quickly jump out again to safety (you only need one timed jump).

From there you *don't* need to use the penguins, just shoot the mirror to make the path easier.

Here is a webm of the section in question. I figure this is where you are stuck?
http://a.pomf.se/kvevcr.webm

Rumble19

What is the best system to play this on? PS4/Vita is crossbuy right? Or I could get it on steam... decisions decisions.

I have PS4/Vita/PC/3DS/Wii U.

What is the best system to play this on? PS4/Vita is crossbuy right? Or I could get it on steam... decisions decisions.

I have PS4/Vita/PC/3DS/Wii U.

read this

Here are some images to illustrate the difference in the 3DS and Wii U versions that greatly affects difficulty.

Here is the above-mentioned falling blocks stage on Wii U. There is no indication of where you'll need to stand to be safe, or even that anything will fall.

coA6Gy4.jpg

Here's the same stage on 3DS. Note that the blocks that will fall are brighter, and the safe spot is obvious.

IuvY2ku.jpg

Now here's another stage on Wii U. Again, no hints as to what's going to kill you.

tOs8EQC.jpg

The same stage on 3DS. It's very obvious where the falling floors are, and if you look closely, even the dart-shooting face is slightly brighter than the ones that don't shoot.

FVtwlwU.jpg

in the 3ds version, the traps are more obvious, the wii u version in this case is like all the other versions.

Also, 3ds and vita dont have the local multiplayer

maxcriden

Be careful what you wish for... :p

Hahah. So true. I just beat 3-4. That one was a real doozy. My wife and I are trading off levels so that means she has 3-5 to play and from. What I remember reading that's a tough one so I'll look forward to watching her play it and I'll be glad to not have that one to play myself!

Spade

Anyone beaten
Antarctica

Beaten
Antarctica
as well and toddhunter said it well.
I found a video for the level (they uploaded just about all of Antarctica it seems) in hopes it'll help you or anybody else having trouble with it.

Video

I hope you found the Serpentine key too (needed).

Edit: @Rumble19: I have it for PS4/Vita and for $15 it's recommended, especially for the cross-buy. Steam has more achievements from what I noticed.

Top Bottom