• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

140 Wii Games Worth Trying

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Few dozen?

Old annualized sports games:
MLB Power Pros
Pro Evolution Soccer
Tiger Woods

Bad versions of multiplatform games:
Sonic Racing
Strong Bad
Tales of Monkey Island

All the other multiplats on the list had solid Wii versions, which were visually comparable to the PC/PS3/Xbox version aside from resolution and/or could easily be argued as the best version based on controller preference. Some of them like Forgotten Sands and Ghostbusters are actually completely different (and generally considered to be superior) on the Wii.

I'm not about to go check the metacritic scores for every game (as if having a low metascore makes you a bad game anyway), but the only true clunkers I see on the list are the Conduit games, Dead Rising, and Sonic 4.

MLB Power Pros
Pro Evo
Tiger Woods' M+ editions

are all amazing and easily the best versions on the market.
Pawaparu is the only one debatable but only 'cause I don't know if later PS3 versions were actually localized in English.

Chindogg

If you were an arcade rail shooter fan Wii was a godsend machine. I just wish Namco could have made GunCon shells for Wiimotes and put Time Crisis on the system.

rjc571

Banned
MLB Power Pros
Pro Evo
Tiger Woods' M+ editions

are all amazing and easily the best versions on the market.
Pawaparu is the only one debatable but only 'cause I don't know if later PS3 versions were actually localized in English.

That may be true (never played them), I was just trying to list all of the games in the OP that met any of Stumpokapow's strangely particular criteria.

There are plenty of unique gems on the Wii... but many games on that list are sequels (3 COD games), far better on other systems, or just straight up not very good games.

OuterLimits

I would add Sid M Pirates to the list. The Wii Version isn't as good as the PC or even Xbox version, but it is still a fun game. Good list btw. I am glad the Wii U can play Wii games since I never owned the system. Although my sister had one I would play it some with her kids.

Yagharek

If you removed the few dozen suggestions that make no sense in 2015 (old annualized sports games, multiplatform games that are certainly not even ambiguously the best version, games that are at best OK but highly flawed--there are some games with MC scores in the 50s and low 60s on this list), you'd end up with a more compact but ultimately more convincing list, I think.

Some of the annualized sports games on the system have no contemporary equivalent.

Case in point is PES. You only need one of them between 2011 or 2013 versions, but the pointer controls are sublime. Takes a while to get used to, but it is incredibly well realised.

2SeeKU

That lists needs Disaster: Day Of Crisis
Nintendo%20Wii%20Disaster%20Day%20of%20Crisis%20Front%20Cover.jpg

Very cheesy game, but l loved playing through it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The Wii's going to be just like the Gamecube -- a lot of gamers didn't give a shit about it at the time, but they're going to look back and realize that it's a waaaaay better system than they gave it credit for.

That's kinda where I was a year and a half ago. I was down on Nintendo, thought the Wii kinda sucked, and for whatever reason, started looking into what games might be worth picking up still. Turns out, there's a shitload, and it's really good stuff. And it's really cheap right now.

For those who find it on the cheap, The Godfather Blackhand Edition is a fun game. Strangle controls and fisticuffs with pointer shots are the most seemless fun I've had.

Otherwise go with everybody else's recommendations without hesitation.

VLiberty

Mario Strikers Charged holds up really well. Very fun arcade action sport title.

I wish Nintendo channel was still alive, so I could know how many thousands of hours I spent/am still spending on that game.

I wish it had more charachters with more diversity. MAN it would be the definitive crack.

Props for mentioning Grand Slam Tennis, truly fantastic with M+ if you know what you're doing.

That being said you've also put your fair share of turds in there.
dead rising bwahaha
Sonic 4: ep1
Mushroom Men
The Conduit
Star Wars TFU

ugh
Is it bad?I want to track down a copy of both that and Kore Gang

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Who in the world would recommend Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World and Castlevania: Judgment?

TheMoon

Fatal Frame 4 (import, fan translated, no need for softmod to play it)

You actually do need to softmod now. One of the latter firmware updates killed the "clean" method. You need Riivolution now to play it translated (but it still requires the actual game disc!)

Good list, take off Other M and you're golden.

Let's not start this here. Other M hyperbole has had its time in dedicated threads already.

rjc571

Banned
wow you really dont know how good these games are in comparison to the PS360 counterparts huh?

Btw was PowerPro PS3 or PSP ever localized?

Tell it to Stumpokapow, he's the one who said that there were dozens of older sports games on the list that were undeserving of consideration. I was just trying to figure out which games in the OP he was referring to.

You really don't want to track down a copy of The Kore Gang.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
To be honest considering how cheap most Wii games are to try now I think this list is still a valid "at least check it out" one, even with games I personally didn't enjoy making the list such as Metroid: Other M and Epic Mickey, and some of the unpolished stuff that made it.

The one I would say really isn't worth it is Monster Hunter Tri, because as good as that game was on the Wii, you have a much better, more content-filled version of it on the Wii U that still has active servers (from what I understand you can't fight Alatreon, Tri's final monster, in the Wii version anymore because it was online only).

TheMoon

It's certainly nothing to recommend to everyone but it's an interesting platformer and I love the hook that all the audio in the game is synchronized to a rhythm. If you're into sound design shenanigans, it's worth a look/listen. Plus it's not like it costs a fortune. A lot of these "not worth it" opinions about under-the-radar Wii games was formed on the basis of them being $50 purchases which is no longer valid.

Porcile

It's sort of a niche thing, maybe for collectors only, but I'd also recommend the Japanese version of Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Cross Generation of Heroes) because of Hakushon Daimou who got cut the Western release. I'm glad I own both versions at least.

Kup

Great list - the Wii has some hidden gems a lot of people don't know about. I was talking to my gaming friend yesterday and he told me "Yeah, but the Wii is not really a console you can sit down with and play a proper game is it?"

I told him I have never stood up to wave the Wii Remote around once and there are plenty of great games, of which I informed him. He still didn't seem to understand though...

TheMoon

Great list - the Wii has some hidden gems a lot of people don't know about. I was talking to my gaming friend yesterday and he told me "Yeah, but the Wii is not really a console you can sit down with and play a proper game is it?"

I told him I have never stood up to wave the Wii Remote around once and there are plenty of great games, of which I informed him. He still didn't seem to understand though...

Tell him Wii has some of the most ACTUALLY hardcore video games out there and blow his mind.

Porcile

Early in Wii's life Nintendo didn't exactly do a nonpartisan job of portraying regular non-heavy motion control games compared to motion control games, and that stigma stuck with the console it's entire life. Now they're being royally fucked because the gimmick stigma amongst gamers has transitioned over to Wii U and developers wont go near their systems because so many were let down on Wii. It's kind of thier own fault really, they fostered that mentality and they're paying the price for it today.

shauntu

Edit: What's GAF's opinion on The Force Unleashed on Wii? I never played any version, and the Wii is cheapest and easiest to find, so I was thinking of giving it a shot.

I liked the first Force Unleashed on Wii. Played through it in one night. My favorite gestural control was force choking enemies, then throwing them away.

Many people I know have said exactly that. Or more commonly the variant "It has no real games, just casual shit".

I feel the Wii had a real issue with stuff like that. The problem was that for every great game there was around 10 complete garbage shovelware so it was easy to miss stuff. But just like the Wii U, all of the games I did end up getting (except Skyward Sword lol) were completely phenomenal. Mario Kart Wii was also pretty trash, but 7 and 8 are great so it's fine.

Nice list, could probably make it 200 games with some of the more overlooked (but still great) WiiWare games, and missed titles like Go Vacation, Elebits, Kororinpa, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Ghost Squad and so on.

kswiston

Anyone care to make a pruned list that removes the multiplatform games? Most of the eshop stuff can be bought for like $2 during Steam sales, so I am not sure it is worth spending $10-15 to play them on a dead system.

score01

Looking back on that list, I had a shit tonne of fun with the the system. Wii bowling is still a fairly regular feature. The Mrs even gets involved.

Nice list, could probably make it 200 games with some of the more overlooked (but still great) WiiWare games, and missed titles like Go Vacation, Elebits, Kororinpa, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Ghost Squad and so on.

I have over 200 physical games.

Obviously not all are exclusive or great but the Wii being so different yet still popular resulted in a lot of interesting games.

The WiiWare stuff is super interesting as well. Dozens of neat games not found elsewhere.

Brenal

The wii version of rodea de sky soldier is fun mix between an arcade shooter and sonics homing attack , i also enjoyed Zangeki No Regenleiv , its basically earth defense force with swords bows and staffs, really fun and easy to pick games.
I reall!y liked the console. I only hope somone leaks the finished the rogue squadron collection

Top Bottom