• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 yr old Gynnya McMillen found dead in a Kentucky juvenile detention center

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
This happened back on Jan. 11th. I searched and didn't see a thread.

Original story:

Officials say a 16-year-old Kentucky girl who was found dead in a juvenile detention center cell on Jan. 11, "appears to have passed away while sleeping."

Gynnya McMillen died less than 24 hours after arriving at the Lincoln Village Juvenile Detention Center in Elizabethtown, Ky. In the 10 days since her death, few details had been released about the circumstances of her confinement, even as friends and family launched a social media campaign seeking answers.

But in a statement released to media on Thursday, the Kentucky Justice and Public Safety Cabinet said its Secretary, John Tilley, has asked that the investigation into McMillen's death be expedited.

"The youth appears to have passed away while sleeping and the preliminary autopsy report shows no cause or manner of death," according to the statement. Hardin County Coroner William Lee, Jr. said in an interview with 48 Hours' Crimesider Monday that the preliminary autopsy on Jan. 12, showed no outward signs, such as "visual bruising," which could conclusively signal a cause of death. Lee also said it was unlikely she had a heart condition.

The full autopsy, previously expected to take weeks, will be expedited as well, the department said in the statement, in which it said its "deepest condolences are extended to the family." State officials are awaiting toxicology tests, electrolyte analysis and a histology report, according to the statement.

It is not clear why McMillen was alone in the cell where detention center staffers say she spent her last night. Officials have not said how often she was checked on during the night and morning she was at the Lincoln Village Juvenile Detention Center.

However, the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet's interim spokesperson Lisa Lamb confirmed today that "standard operating procedure" at the Lincoln Village Juvenile Detention Center requires room checks every 15 minutes.

"Policy further provides that residents will not be left in a room unattended when staff is absent unless that room has a camera in it," Lamb said.

Lamb confirmed Thursday that there was a camera in McMillen's room, and a copy of the video footage was provided to investigators.

McMillen, of Louisville, was first detained Jan. 10 after what police describe as a "domestic incident" at her mother's home in Shelbyville, Ky. Police say they called a court-designated worker -- a Kentucky official who makes legal decisions related to juveniles. That worker contacted a judge and requested that McMillen be detained, according to police. McMillen was charged with misdemeanor assault in the incident.

By 10 a.m. on Jan. 11, McMillen, described in interviews with 48 Hours' Crimesider as a "quiet, beautiful person," had died.

Officials had previously indicated that the investigation into McMillen's death was being investigated by the Kentucky State Police. In the statement, the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet said its Internal Investigations Branch is now also investigating.

Some more details came out yesterday:

The day before a teenage Kentucky girl was found dead in her juvenile detention cell, staff used an "Aikido restraint" on her, a spokesperson for the Kentucky Department of Juvenile Justice confirmed Friday.

16-year-old Gynnya McMillen was restrained after refusing to remove her sweatshirt in order to be searched and photographed for booking at the Lincoln Village Juvenile Detention Center, the spokesperson, Stacy Floden, wrote in an e-mail.

"The staff performed an Aikido restraint hold to safely conduct a pat-down search and remove the youth's hoodie," Floden wrote. "The purpose of having multiple staff involved in a controlled restraint is to ensure the safety of the youth and staff."

Aikido is a form of martial art.

It's not clear if the "Aikido restraint" factored into McMillen's death on Jan. 11. Her death is currently under investigation by the Kentucky State Troopers and the Justice Cabinet's Internal Investigation's Branch. Officials have so far indicated they believe McMillen died in her sleep.

Officials confirmed Thursday that Reginald Windham, a Lincoln Village Juvenile Detention Center employee, was placed on paid administrative leave. Officials said Windham, who has been with the state's juvenile justice department for 10 years, failed to check on McMillen every 15 minutes, a requirement for those in isolation at the detention center in Elizabethtown.

McMillen was placed in a cell by herself on Jan. 10, and officials say she was found dead, in a sleeping position, the next day at 9:55 a.m. Officials previously confirmed to 48 Hours' Crimesider that McMillen did not respond that day when food was offered at 6:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m., or later when her mother called. It is not clear when McMillen died, but she was not checked on, despite her lack of communication.

More at the second link.

Jarmel

Banned
The youth appears to have passed away while sleeping and the preliminary autopsy report shows no cause or manner of death,

Of course. She died from a broken heart.

She simply lost the will to live.

liquidtmd

Banned
It is not clear when McMillen died, but she was not checked on, despite her lack of communication

Investigation will be held, will go to inquiry, no-one will be found culpable, no-one will be charged, 'lessons we be learnt' speech, back in time to have a drink before the next incident like this.

Just a guess.

RIP little one.

Tagyhag

Police think they're martial artists now.

Wouldn't be surprised if they fucked up the hold and that led to her death.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Police think they're martial artists now.

Wouldn't be surprised if they fucked up the hold and that led to her death.

They aren't even cops. There's actually less laws governing Juvenile Centers than prisons (the latter of which aren't even followed due to corruption and human maliciousness).

If you want to watch a good but disturbing movie about American Juvenile Centers, a movie called Coldwater is on netflix about it.

They aren't even cops. There's actually less laws governing Juvenile Centers than prisons (the latter of which aren't even followed due to corruption and human maliciousness).

If you want to watch a good but disturbing movie about American Juvenile Centers, a movie called Coldwater is on netflix about it.

yeah, this isn't accurate. I can't speak for Juvenile centers, but there are a LOT of federal and state regulations regarding what can and can't be done re: use of force in prison and how often officers must be trained. We're audited on these results a couple of times a year at least.

Inmates also retain their civil rights while incarcerated and can, will, and frequently do sue the bejeezus out of you every chance they can.

Defuser

Sudden Death Syndrome could be a possibility, can happen to anyone and it doesn't involved any heart condition.

Waited on CPR and calling 911 (Call at the link):

Huffington Post said:
Police initially said that Gynnya McMillen, 16, died in her sleep at Lincoln Village Juvenile Detention Center in Elizabethtown on Jan. 11. But the Kentucky Center for Investigative Reporting reported on Friday that officers took her down using an "Aikido restraint" move, didn't check in on her overnight and waited 11 minutes to give her CPR when they found her unresponsive.

Guards tried to wake her with verbal commands at 6:30 a.m., 8:17 a.m. and 8:53 a.m., according to reports. When they tried to physically wake her at 10 a.m., she was "cold" and unresponsive in a sleeping position.

The responding guard then waited nine minutes to call 911, and another two after talking with dispatchers, according to a CBS report.

HuffPo

Xe4

Banned
56ace75b2a00006e000319a4.jpeg

I'm shocked.

Seriously, juvenile detention center in Kentuncky, and she's black? Yeeaaaahhhh...

Waiting for posts that she was attacking the officer or something.

I'm gonna wait for the video before claiming anything conclusively, but when there's smoke...

TalonJH

56ace75b2a00006e000319a4.jpeg

I'm shocked.

Seriously, juvenile detention center in Kentuncky, and she's black? Yeeaaaahhhh...

Waiting for posts that she was attacking the officer or something.

I'm gonna wait for the video before claiming anything conclusively, but when there's smoke...

The story right now is that she just refused to remove her sweatshirt during a pat down. She was put in the hold the prior day. The guard failed to check on her every 15 min. After they found her dead, it took 16 minutes(was originally said to be 11) before they tried CPR.

The Department of Juvenile Justice sent the following statement regarding McMillen's restraint:

There was an Aikido restraint performed on a youth at the Lincoln Village Reginal Juvenile Detention Center on January 10, 2016. The youth was instructed to remove the youth’s outer garment hoodie which was covering the youth’s head and neck area in order to be searched and photographed as part of the booking process. The youth repeatedly refused and was non-compliant with the staff request. The staff performed an Aikido restraint hold to safely conduct a pat-down search and remove the youth’s hoodie. The purpose of having multiple staff involved in a controlled restraint is to ensure the safety of the youth and staff. A female staff conducted the pat-down search and removed the youth’s hoodie that was covering her head and neck area. The youth’s repeated refusal to cooperate with staff and remove her outer garment prompted the restraint.

Picture from the vigil:

635898671440462971-GynnaMcMillenvigil.jpg

vern

Physical restraints should only be used when the child poses a threat to themselves, their fellow classmates/inmates/etc or to you as an officer/teacher... If she doesn't wanna take off her sweater then fine. We've got all day. She's not hurting anyone. Your job is to protect the kids.

That being said a proper physical restraint won't cause a kid to die. Especially not hours later. Sometimes if a restraint goes to the floor due to the kid fighting, caregivers may put too much weight on the kid and limit their breathing, deaths have occurred in this way. Physical restraints shouldn't go to the floor though, again if you are doing it right. And you again shouldn't be on their back or diaphragm if it so on the floor. Two should be holding their arms and one holding their legs so they don't kick you.

Who knows what happened here. Poor girl though.

Valhelm

contribute something
How in the world can you justify using a move like that on a 16-year-old girl? Holy fucking shit

Of course. She died from a broken heart.

She simply lost the will to live.

broken heart syndrome is real but generally not fatal. Also is usually for post-menopausal women and not 16 year olds but anything is possible in a world where trump is #1 and cruz #2.

vern

How in the world can you justify using a move like that on a 16-year-old girl? Holy fucking shit

Because it is non violent and can protect her or others. Don't know the details here though so I can't say it's justified. Read my post above

andthebeatgoeson

broken heart syndrome is real but generally not fatal. Also is usually for post-menopausal women and not 16 year olds but anything is possible in a world where trump is #1 and cruz #2.
What else can we jump to? Ebola? Or could she have been a zombie? Maybe it was all a dream and she wasn't even real?

So I'm googling 'aikido restraint' and none of the imagery that comes up looks condusive to removing someone's sweater. I feel like it's a euphemism for a WWE move that can restrain breathing.

Moppeh

Banned
Black person murdered by police?

Must be a day ending in Y in America.

Yeah...About that:

I know these threads are always full of gut reactions, but it says in the title that she was in a detention centre. Unless a police officer poisoned her food while she was held in the detachment, the chances that police are to blame is quite small and outrage should be directed at people working at the prison, at least for the time being.

It is crazy that she wasn't checked on at all. I did some training at a prison and every now and then the guards would do a physical check. I'd imagine they'd be even more careful at a youth centre, but perhaps policy there is a bit different from where I am in Canada.

It is a damn shame. I guard at a police detachment and even if the chances of someone dying in their sleep are extremely slim, you should still keep an on them, especially when they first get lodged.

RIP. :(

zeemumu

That's actually a thing? I thought he was making a bad Star Wars joke.

vern

So I'm googling 'aikido restraint' and none of the imagery that comes up looks condusive to removing someone's sweater. I feel like it's a euphemism for a WWE move that can restrain breathing.

It's not for removing a sweater. It's for getting a kid that is a physical threat to stop being a threat in a safe and non violent way. Read my posts above about restraint situations. The staff should have waited if she wasn't a threat. They could wait all day for her to comply. They chose not to, I'm assuming because they weren't trained well or just don't give a fuck. If the restraint was done properly though it likely had 0 impact on her death.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
What does this akido restraint look like when performed by someone with proper technique?

Like is it super easy to fuck up and that's how someone ends up dead? Or is it a simple hold

Slayven

Yeah...About that:

I know these threads are always full of gut reactions, but it says in the title that she was in a detention centre. Unless a police officer poisoned her food while she was held in the detachment, the chances that police are to blame is quite small and outrage should be directed at people working at the prison, at least for the time being.

It is crazy that she wasn't checked on at all. I did some training at a prison and every now and then the guards would do a physical check. I'd imagine they'd be even more careful at a youth centre, but perhaps policy there is a bit different from where I am in Canada.

It is a damn shame. I guard at a police detachment and even if the chances of someone dying in their sleep are extremely slim, you should still keep an on them, especially when they first get lodged.

Symptoms of the same cancerous system. You think black lives ain't being shit starts and stops at the police car? That level of ignorance is what keeps the system going, "it's just this that needs to be fix" , or "No he was a lone wolf, totally and exception".

It's all broken brah

Moppeh

Banned
Symptoms of the same cancerous system. You think black lives ain't being shit starts and stops at the police car? That level of ignorance is what keeps the system going, "it's just this that needs to be fix" , or "No he was a lone wolf, totally and exception".

It's all broken brah

No, I don't think that. I was just correcting you because police aren't related to the death of this girl.

Accusing me of ignorance because I want people to know the facts is silly.

What does this akido restraint look like when performed by someone with proper technique?

Like is it super easy to fuck up and that's how someone ends up dead? Or is it a simple hold

The neck is a delicate area. Especially for young girls.

Over taking off a sweatshirt. So pointless. You'd think a juvanile detention center wwould know and implement proper conflict descalation techniques....

Slayven

No, I don't think that. I was just correcting you because police aren't related to the death of this girl.

Accusing me of ignorance because I want people to know the facts is silly.

Ok we will have to move on. I Don't want to go missing in Tone Police custody.

vern

There are different types of restraints with different names, and what you do varies on the size of the person and threat level of the situation. You should always have at least two staff members and it should not go to the ground.

Again I have no idea what the restraint they did here was, but an ideal restraint essentially would have one staff member on each side of the child. Each person holds a wrist and has their other hand on the back of the child's shoulder, pushing the child's upper half down toward the ground (bent essentially parallel to the floor). The staff doing the restraint should also place their inside leg in front of the child, basically against their hips, to support them so they don't fall over. This makes the kid so he can't spit on you, kick you, punch you, scratch you... Do anything to you, or to himself/others.

If there was only one staff member then he should have wrapped her from behind, crossing her arms in front of her and interlocking her elbows. Then ideally use a wall for support to stop you both from falling while she struggles. This is not ideal but if you are alone it gets the job done. She can still kick and scratch from this restraint though.

A lot of those involve just holding the arm from what I can see, but one of the more severe ones would be this:

But we don't know what they used at any rate, but something along the lines of the picture above is a good candidate if she died from the hold.

vern

A lot of those involve just holding the arm from what I can see, but one of the more severe ones would be this:

But we don't know what they used at any rate, but something along the lines of the picture above is a good candidate if she died from the hold.

In the three years I worked in a place similar to what this girl was in I never saw a hold like the picture here.

ApharmdX

Banned

Difference without a distinction.

It's all part of the same broken system, where black lives are gristle for the mill.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I wouldn't be surprised if they fucking killed her with the restraint technique.

It was probably some insecure asshole trying to put to practice their latest move on a 16 year old girl.

Thrown in a cell without supervision? No cpr for 16 minutes? Black lives dont matter. Fuck. This shit makes me so upset but I dont know what to do.

Look, holds on kids are sometimes necessary and are applied hundreds of times a day nationwide, but as has been stated, should only be applied when a kid is acting as a danger to themselves or others. Juvenile offenders can be insanely unreasonable sometimes. I'm not saying something didn't happen, but there's a lot of jumping to conclusions happening with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom