• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 yr old Gynnya McMillen found dead in a Kentucky juvenile detention center

Status
Not open for further replies.

vern

Look, holds on kids are sometimes necessary and are applied hundreds of times a day nationwide, but as has been stated, should only be applied when a kid is acting as a danger to themselves or others. Juvenile offenders can be insanely unreasonable sometimes. I'm not saying something didn't happen, but there's a lot of jumping to conclusions happening with this one.

Yep lots of people who have no idea what they are talking about here but it's par for the course. Most people working in these facilities have love and care for the kids. They aren't cops. They are people trying to help save these kids. You don't choose to work with this kind of population unless you want to help (in most cases).

I've restrained kids hundreds of times and never hurt a kid more than maybe a few scratches or something else minor. This is while being kicked, punched, spit on, scratched, etc by "kids" bigger and stronger than me.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
A lot of those involve just holding the arm from what I can see, but one of the more severe ones would be this:

3bZA7AX.png

But we don't know what they used at any rate, but something along the lines of the picture above is a good candidate if she died from the hold.

Da fuck is happening on that picture

Yep lots of people who have no idea what they are talking about here but it's par for the course. Most people working in these facilities have love and care for the kids. They aren't cops. They are people trying to help save these kids. You don't choose to work with this kind of population unless you want to help (in most cases).
I'm not sure what country you're from, but in the U.S. basically everyone has heard the many horror stories about awful, abusive juvenile detention employees. There is a mountain of precedence for me not to assume anything positive about the people who work here. Also juvenile detention is not a rehab or therapy organization. It is jail and they are guards, and I've never heard of a prison guard doing it for the love of the prisoners so I'd expect that to be quite rare. The people who let her lay unconscious or dead for hours certainly weren't here to help her.

vern

I'm not sure what country you're from, but in the U.S. basically everyone has heard the many horror stories about awful, abusive juvenile detention employees. There is a mountain of precedence for me not to assume anything positive about the people who work here. Also juvenile detention is not a rehab or therapy organization. It is jail and they are guards, and I've never heard of a prison guard doing it for the love of the prisoners so I'd expect that to be quite rare. The people who let her lay unconscious or dead for hours certainly weren't here to help her.

I'm from the USA and didn't work in a juevinile detention center when i did work with this population, but we did work closely with the juvie in the area. I worked as a teacher for students with severe emotional disabilities and behavior disorders. We were essentially a detention center, 95% of the students stayed at our facility overnight and weren't allowed to leave campus without staff members. Many students had ankle monitors.

Nearly everyone from my experience was looking out for those kids. The few bad apples were chewed up and spit out quick. This is in a relatively progressive state though. The south is probably different I'll give you that.

TalonJH

Another update
FRANKFORT, KY (WAVE) - The Governor's Office and the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet have fired two people as a result of a teenager's death at a juvenile detention center in Elizabethtown.

According to a statement from the Kentucky Department of Corrections, Reginald Windham, an employee of Lincoln Village Juvenile Detention Center for more than a decade, was dismissed for failing to carrying out required bed checks on 16-year-old Gynnya McMillen on Jan. 11. Windham previously was placed on special investigative leave and was notified of his dismissal Friday morning.

Lisa Lamb, director of communications for the Department of Corrections, said before news reports were published late Friday, the Justice Cabinet had not been made aware that Windham's work record included previous disciplinary actions. Lamb said that while the previous disciplinary issues were not connected to McMillen's death, they revealed a pattern of unacceptable behavior for someone who supervises youth.

Also late Friday, Bob Hayter, who served as commissioner of the Department of Juvenile Justice since November 2014, was relieved of his duties.

Lamb said Kentucky State Police and the Justice Cabinet's Internal Investigations Branch are close to completing investigations into McMillen's death. Their findings will be released to the public to the fullest extent allowed by law, she said.

McMillen, who was brought to the Elizabethtown facility after an altercation with her mother in Shelbyville, is believed to have died in her sleep while alone in her cell. So far, Hardin County Coroner Bill Lee has not been able to determine McMillen's cause of death.

http://www.wave3.com/story/31178320...etention-center-in-elizabethtown?sf20626537=1

(Shaun) KING: Why I believe 16-year-old Gynnya McMillen was murdered

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-16-year-old-gynnya-mcmillen-murdered-article-1.2567120

For nearly 6,000 nights of her young life, 16-year-old Gynnya McMillen went to bed and woke up just fine.

On the very first night she ever spent in jail, just hours after a law enforcement officer forcefully put her into a martial arts hold for four minutes and 15 seconds for refusing to take off her sweatshirt during the intake process, she never woke up.

No drug overdose, no suicide attempt, none of that. It just so happens the one night her heart decides to stop is the first night she ever spent in jail? I'm not buying it.

And oh, it also happens that the four minutes and 15 seconds she was placed in the martial arts hold are the only parts of her short stay that weren't filmed. Officials claim that the camera was broken.

Now, at a press conference today, Kentucky Justice Secretary John Tilley admitted “some of the misconduct smacks of outright indifference.”

Four staffers have been suspended, while two others are on leave after the incident.

After her initial autopsy was inconclusive, an in-depth medical examination determined that an irregular heartbeat may have caused her death.

Or maybe, just maybe, being roughed up by a bunch of grown men caused her heart to give out?

A whole host of adults failed Gynnya McMillen and their actions are absolutely what caused her death.

Her mother, who can be painfully heard cussing Gynnya out on an initial 911 call, is at least partly responsible. She frequently lost custody of Gynnya and only had visiting rights when Gynnya died. On the 911 call, the mother says to Gynnya, "You dumba-- w--re, you're gonna spend the rest of your g--d--- 2 1/2 years in a g--d--- insane asylum with the rest of the retarded kids."

While the mother is saying this, she admits to the 911 operator that some man is forcefully restraining Gynnya, who can be heard screaming in the background. This continues for several minutes until he lets her go and Gynnya leaves the house.

Even though it was never clear that she committed a crime of any sort, a caseworker then recommended that Gynnya McMillen be taken to jail — a decision that proved fatal.

This sloppiness on the part of the caseworker was partly responsible for the death of Gynnya McMillen.

Then, from the very moment she entered the Lincoln Village Regional Juvenile Detention Center, adult after adult failed Gynnya McMillen.

With no sensitivity to the fact that this was her very first time being locked up and that she was leaving a very volatile and hurtful situation, guards decided to use a martial arts hold for four minutes and 15 seconds after Gynnya McMillen allegedly refused to take off her sweatshirt. Many other methods of de-escalation could have been considered there.

We'll never know what that hold, applied so soon after she was restrained by another grown man at her mother's house, might've done to Gynnya. What we do know is that multiple officials at the jail claimed they checked on her when they didn't and falsified records to make it look like they performed the required well-checks on her every 15 minutes.

By the time 911 was called, Gynnya McMillen was stiff and cold. She had been dead for many hours. One guard actually ate the food he said she refused. She didn't refuse it, she was dead.

The physical and emotional abuse from her home and the terrible job done by the caseworker combined with the violence and criminal neglect of law enforcement inside of the jail all caused the death of Gynnya McMillen.

She didn't die randomly. Adults, a lot of adults, killed her.

Griss

That's desperately sad, but there's just no way to show causation. Can being put in a hold cause your heart to give out, hours later? Isn't it more likely that she simply had a heart defect if her heart was weak enough to be affected by that kind of behaviour? Was it her mother's acquaintance's restraint or the worker's aikido hold that put the fatal stress on her heart (if that's what happened?). Was she regularly subjected to violence / restraint at home (as the 911 call might suggest?)

We just don't know, and I doubt we can ever say. He's dead right that a lot of adults failed this poor girl, and it breaks my heart. But to say they killed her or murdered her is a very different thing altogether, and I can't stand behind that.

CLBridges

Damn, that's sad. And the mother has to live with the fact of her last interaction with her daughter was negative, life ehh. Will wait for more information to be brought to light on this one.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That poor girl never had a chance. At any point in her life.

Damn, that's sad. And the mother has to live with the fact of her last interaction with her daughter was negative, life ehh. Will wait for more information to be brought to light on this one.

Her mother had multiple negative interactions with her and in fact didn't even have custody of her.

That's desperately sad, but there's just no way to show causation. Can being put in a hold cause your heart to give out, hours later? Isn't it more likely that she simply had a heart defect if her heart was weak enough to be affected by that kind of behaviour? Was it her mother's acquaintance's restraint or the worker's aikido hold that put the fatal stress on her heart (if that's what happened?). Was she regularly subjected to violence / restraint at home (as the 911 call might suggest?)

We just don't know, and I doubt we can ever say. He's dead right that a lot of adults failed this poor girl, and it breaks my heart. But to say they killed her or murdered her is a very different thing altogether, and I can't stand behind that.

The one way I could see a hold causing a death is breaking up some arterial plaque and causing an embolism, I'm not too sure what the odds on that actually are though.

Her brain was presumably deprived of oxygen during the choke-hold and she never woke up. For all we know, she was dead within minutes.

I don't believe this was murder but it absolutely was manslaughter and those at this juvenile detention centre should be held responsible for her death. If they are not then the system is broken and no one in that state is safe.

Edit; Something similar happend in the UK at a Police Station. A man had his head strapped with a restraining belt (not whit it is supposed to be used for - though they said it was authorised) and died from heart failiure. All caught on video. The Guardian But of course it's never a simple thing to take the Police to court. The Guardian
Thing is it happens all the goddam time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom