• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Fixed1979

no chicken strips on the f800st, but i have a bit on the z -- it's heavier and i still tend to enter corners slower on it. they'll go in time! (i also did a track day on the f800st, so i kinda cheated.)

edit: also, brag time! i was taking the vespa in to get an manufacturer ecu reflash, and the tech gal said "man, you must ride the shit out of this thing!" worried that this presaged some awful (read: expensive) revelation, i said "uh, not THAT hard, what's wrong" and she laughed and said "first vespa i've seen without chicken strips". true story, i *do* ride that little 278cc bitch like i stole it, and have nearly gotten a knee down countless times. it's just so easy to throw over doing 30 mph intersection turns!

Visualizing someone getting a knee down on a Vespa has made my morning!

For some reason I'm picturing a full race suit and knee sliders, on a fully-decked out mod vespa with about a hundred mirrors on the front

Hah, and that kitty holding on for dear life somewhere.

In other news, the Monster has a flat tire which means I now have 3 bikes out of commission. Ugh.

Dougald

In other news, the Monster has a flat tire which means I now have 3 bikes out of commission. Ugh.

Man that sucks.... that's what you get for buying Italian and American I guess!* What about one of those plug repair kits to keep you going? I've heard mixed things about them

*(says the man with British and Chinese bikes in his garage, which is definitely a worse combo)

Yes that sucks... I have used the mushroom plug and the glue sticks and they work great. The mushroom is a bit more effort as you need to get access to the inside of the tyre where the sticks can be done from the outside. This now all depends on where the hole is?

I have spent the whole weekend filing down my tyres so that I can have smaller chicken fillets.... just joking. Thanks for the tips.

Haha. Well it was just the case for me - I was getting a good bit of lean angle but my cornering technique was not so good overall. My bike hasn't been on the track since 2012 (a couple tires ago :p ), and even the best corners here don't allow for a ton of lean angle. If you stay in your lane, get on the line fast, and hold your lean as you roll on the gas smoothly to exit, there's not much room to get way down low...and I'd have to be carrying a bit (BIT) faster speed as well to make that level of lean possible.

Yes that sucks... I have used the mushroom plug and the glue sticks and they work great. The mushroom is a bit more effort as you need to get access to the inside of the tyre where the sticks can be done from the outside. This now all depends on where the hole is?

Man that sucks.... that's what you get for buying Italian and American I guess!* What about one of those plug repair kits to keep you going? I've heard mixed things about them

*(says the man with British and Chinese bikes in his garage, which is definitely a worse combo)

Ah yes, well... at least we're having more fun than the next guy when our bikes do decide to run properly :p.

But yeah, those plug repair things do work. Once used one on the old YZF750 I had. Didn't even notice it was there and was able to use the tyre for another 1500 miles or so. That repair plug was kind of umbrella (or mushroom) shaped. Can't remember whether the tyre had to come off for it to work. I don't think so. But I'll definitely check it out, beats renting a van and having to haul it off to the dealer.

Good news is that the tire was entirely worn out anyway and needed to be replaced anyway. It was just an expense I was kinda hoping to postpone for a little bit.

However, I do have another punctured pirelli tyre lying around, might be able to fix that and buy completely new tyres next year...

Watevaman

Passed 18k miles on the GS yesterday!

ph001313_by_watevaman-d7on8uj.jpg

not many, but it's weird how when I bought it in 2010, it had a mere 7xxx miles on it (it's a 1990 model) and in the time between then and now I've put almost 1.5x that on it, including the year it was in my garage sitting.

That's a nice shot. Love it. Congrats on the mileage as well! Most I ever managed up till now was about 13.000km (not even miles) on one bike.

For some reason I'm picturing a full race suit and knee sliders, on a fully-decked out mod vespa with about a hundred mirrors on the front

i've thrown up sparks from the center stand tangs a buncha times. low center of gravity plus low weight plus 12" tires means it's stupid easy to shove over in ANY corner. if i ever seriously wreck in the immediate future, it's gonna be on the scooter. :-(

Dougald

Passed 18k miles on the GS yesterday!

not many, but it's weird how when I bought it in 2010, it had a mere 7xxx miles on it (it's a 1990 model) and in the time between then and now I've put almost 1.5x that on it, including the year it was in my garage sitting.

Congrats, awesome shot! Looking at those clocks is making me nostalgic for the GS I learnt on, must get one when we replace the 125. I still remember when I hit 25k on the Bonneville, I was about 4 miles from home having ridden 400 miles up from central france, great feeling.

Wife completed a rite of passage last night by snapping one of the plastic clips off her fairing when we were putting the bits back on after upgrading her spark plug etc. Glad to know that doing that isn't just limited to me and old Honda's.

The new BMW electric scooter has landed and I have booked a test ride. If you want to give it a try you can book the test rides that started from the 15July to middle of Aug. I am so keen to give this little scooter a go. I know its not going to replace the big bike but man at the moment I only do 6.5miles to work and the big bike is not even warmed up.

I hope it rides like crap so my wallet can stay in my pocket.

AZxnUkc.jpg

I know its not going to replace the big bike but man at the moment I only do 6.5miles to work and the big bike is not even warmed up.

Oh man, I always worry about that exact same thing. I often just take the long way home in the hopes of getting some extra heat in the engine.

That's quite a big plus for electric bikes though, being able to punch it from the very first minute.

Dougald

I just saw the price... £13,500!

I don't care if it runs on air at that cost.. I bet it's got a nice torquey engine, though. Cool features too, it even applies the brakes automatically when you put it on the sidestand.

I just saw the price... £13,500!

I don't care if it runs on air at that cost.. I bet it's got a nice torquey engine, though. Cool features too, it even applies the brakes automatically when you put it on the sidestand.

Agreed, this is really for the early adopters to get there teeth into something different. Its almost the same price as my bike so not going to save any money on it. But hell a free test ride had to be done

qly0eaI.jpg

Gritesh

Which Exhaust system for my Ducati Monster 1100 evo?

I was looking at the Termi's but here in Canada its $2200 for the kit, kind of only want to spend around $1000, was thinking of the Spark High mount kit but not sure if that's a good system or not.

Which Exhaust system for my Ducati Monster 1100 evo?

I was looking at the Termi's but here in Canada its $2200 for the kit, kind of only want to spend around $1000, was thinking of the Spark High mount kit but not sure if that's a good system or not.

I spent a few months back in 2011 thinking about that very issue for my Monster 1100. In the end I went with Termignoni because they are the only manufacturer that offers an official Ducati adjusted ECU along with the package. I suppose you could get similar results by having the ECU reflashed by a third party, but I never really felt comfortable with that solution. Still... it's an option, of course. It's also cheaper probably and it allows you to look at exhaust systems other than Termi's.

Zard and - like you mentioned - Spark both have really good looking stuff for instance.

Oh and Maxheadwound, ask them if that scooter comes in red, hehe.

Gritesh

I ordered a slip on today.

I ended up going with the Shift Tech Carbon GP2 shorty. I really wanted the Termi's but I just couldn't justify the pricing on it, and I really wanted to expose as much of that SS arm as I could.

Here is a reference picture, ended up costing 600 shipped to my door plus the DB killer insert.

999_0_zps1bf3ab40.jpg

I will be sending in the ECU to a shop over the winter to get it reflashed and at that point I will change out the Air Filter to a high flow one as well, but I really didn't want to be down on my bike for 2 weeks of my short Canadian riding season so I will run just the slip on for the time being.
Apparently other Monster owners have ran just the slip on just fine, plus I have my stock can if it causes me any issues.

I ended up going with the Shift Tech Carbon GP2 shorty. I really wanted the Termi's but I just couldn't justify the pricing on it, and I really wanted to expose as much of that SS arm as I could.

Here is a reference picture, ended up costing 600 shipped to my door plus the DB killer insert.

999_0_zps1bf3ab40.jpg

I will be sending in the ECU to a shop over the winter to get it reflashed and at that point I will change out the Air Filter to a high flow one as well, but I really didn't want to be down on my bike for 2 weeks of my short Canadian riding season so I will run just the slip on for the time being.
Apparently other Monster owners have ran just the slip on just fine, plus I have my stock can if it causes me any issues.

Damn that is a nice looking can and bike.

Flo_Evans

I might be crazy but I don't think a ECU flash is needed at all for a slip on and a foam filter. Cams, larger injectors, full headers, bore and stroke mods... yeah. But I think you will be fine... of course a good tune will bring an extra few ponies - and totally void your warranty.

(Yeah, that's another reason why I went with the 'official' option.)

However I do highly recommend another mapping for your ECU. My bike ran so much better after I switched it out for the 'racing' ECU. Not in terms of horsepower, but it just felt smoother, was able to breathe more freely and wasn't as rough in the lower rev ranges. Worth every penny imho. Totally transformed the bike.

Good call on the short exhaust! Looks great.

Gritesh

Yeah I'll definitely send it for a tune over the winter.

I'll be sure to post pics when I get it in and installed. The money I saved over the termis will allow me to pick up a fender eliminator and some cf pieces too

The new BMW electric scooter has landed and I have booked a test ride. If you want to give it a try you can book the test rides that started from the 15July to middle of Aug. I am so keen to give this little scooter a go. I know its not going to replace the big bike but man at the moment I only do 6.5miles to work and the big bike is not even warmed up.

I hope it rides like crap so my wallet can stay in my pocket.

Well, it looks pretty sleek for a scooter. That being said, I am generally not a fan of scooters. They just feel unbalanced compared to a bike.

Izayoi

Banned
Will I need a Power Commander if I'm just doing a slip-on? I've heard varying opinions on this from all around the web.

Also, what's the best mount spot for a GoPro? I like the video a chest mount produces, but I don't like the idea of not being able to hug the tank when I want to.

Well, it looks pretty sleek for a scooter. That being said, I am generally not a fan of scooters. They just feel unbalanced compared to a bike.

I agree, was never a scooter fan but a good old vespa or something like a rukus is just nice. I love new tech and that is the only reason I am so keen to give it a test ride. The zero bikes have been out for some time but never got good reviews but as BMW do things they make sure its a good product. Well we hope. But as Dougald said for that price is going to be difficult to drop the cash on something that I cannot take out for a day drive.

Will I need a Power Commander if I'm just doing a slip-on? I've heard varying opinions on this from all around the web.

Also, what's the best mount spot for a GoPro? I like the video a chest mount produces, but I don't like the idea of not being able to hug the tank when I want to.

Hey man... I just mounted my gopro and with a bit of reading from other guys it now mounted on the left hand side of the helmet. The reason for this is the lens is the furthers from the helmet and you get a really nice view of both hands and a clear view of the road. Mine is stuck inline with the visor gears. Hope this helps.

What I did is to use the gopro app and to hold is with the video on to see my view. Then to stick it on. Also make sure you clean it with some rubbing alcohol for a strong bond

Dougald

After a lot of swearing last night I finally got the wifes bike installed with a 16T front sprocket instead of a 15T. Getting the sprocket on was easy, the hard part was the chainguard was already dangerously close to the chain, and I guess the extra 0.5mm width of the new sprocket was too much, so I had to spend half an hour getting a spacer on the chainguard to stop it rubbing. Good news is now her bike will actually do 45mph in 4th gear, so there's that.

Actually have to go to the office later so I'll get an excuse to ride mine...

As for the power commander thing: when I bought new cans for my Monster 620 I didn't adjust the mapping and it was fine, didn't break or start to act weird or anything. But, like I said a few posts up, I noticed quite a big difference when I did combine the new exhaust with a 'race' ecu for the 1100 Monster. So yeah, it's kinda hard to say. Maybe emission restrictions were tighter in '10 (compared to '05 when I purchased the 620) and the difference is more noticeable when the 1100 was freed of them. Of course, the bigger displacement might also be a factor in it being a big difference.

I'm definitely not an expert on these matters though, this is just my personal experience. I'd ask around on SV specific fora maybe.

Gritesh

Thinking about coming down from Canada with some guys to Montana to do some riding in August, has anyone ridden around there? I hear Logans Pass and Lolos is amazing

Dougald

^Awesome Rally spec wing!

I love the older 70s "pre-spaceship" goldwings.... Though I'm still adamant that my retirement plan is to buy a nice flying armchair and ride around Europe.

^Awesome Rally spec wing!

I love the older 70s "pre-spaceship" goldwings.... Though I'm still adamant that my retirement plan is to buy a nice flying armchair and ride around Europe.

Nah man, at least a bagger with a ridiculously loud set of pipes. Something that at least has some note of savagery to it :D. Though I think that the older you get, the more you will benefit from something light and manageable. Can't imagine pushing 500 pounds of bike in and out of a garage at 70 something.

Dougald

That's why the Goldwing has a reverse gear!

To be fair you have a point, I could barely move the Pan European around at 26, so...

Just had a nice Whisky with a few blocks of ice... never thought it would be nice but a nice warm evening and that its awesome. Way off topic but hey its good

Izayoi

Banned
Hey man... I just mounted my gopro and with a bit of reading from other guys it now mounted on the left hand side of the helmet. The reason for this is the lens is the furthers from the helmet and you get a really nice view of both hands and a clear view of the road. Mine is stuck inline with the visor gears. Hope this helps.

What I did is to use the gopro app and to hold is with the video on to see my view. Then to stick it on. Also make sure you clean it with some rubbing alcohol for a strong bond
As for the power commander thing: when I bought new cans for my Monster 620 I didn't adjust the mapping and it was fine, didn't break or start to act weird or anything. But, like I said a few posts up, I noticed quite a big difference when I did combine the new exhaust with a 'race' ecu for the 1100 Monster. So yeah, it's kinda hard to say. Maybe emission restrictions were tighter in '10 (compared to '05 when I purchased the 620) and the difference is more noticeable when the 1100 was freed of them. Of course, the bigger displacement might also be a factor in it being a big difference.

I'm definitely not an expert on these matters though, this is just my personal experience. I'd ask around on SV specific fora maybe.
Thanks dudes, I really appreciate all of the help! <3

Now this is a custom goldwing:

http://i.imgur.com/NQR1llS.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Sexy as fuqqq. Every bike could do with less fairings, I think. Naked bikes are just the sexiest fucking things.

Watcher

Does anyone have an opinion on the new yamaha fz-07? (MT-07 in Europe I believe) I really like the look of the bike and have read nothing but good things about it.

Im in need of a new bike my crappy Craigslist 96 ninja 250 is in need of repairs and i don't want to put any money into that piece of shit.

Top Bottom