• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Finally got my Ninja 250 back from the shop. Woot! Warranty replacement on the cooling fan.

In the meantime, test rode...

Ninja 300 - Felt nearly identical to my 250. Not worth the upgrade.
ER6-N - Fun motor, short front end, foot position not all that comfortable to me.
ZX6-R - Insanely sharp, instant upshifts, lots of power, big forward lean, cramped footpegs. Not for me.

So far, I still prefer my 250R. :lol

Does anyone have an opinion on the new yamaha fz-07? (MT-07 in Europe I believe) I really like the look of the bike and have read nothing but good things about it.

Im in need of a new bike my crappy Craigslist 96 ninja 250 is in need of repairs and i don't want to put any money into that piece of shit.

I like the way it looks and yes, it does get glowing reviews. Also doesn't hurt that it's a lot of bike for the money. Perfect amount of power, especially moving up from a 250.

Finally got my Ninja 250 back from the shop. Woot! Warranty replacement on the cooling fan.

In the meantime, test rode...

Ninja 300 - Felt nearly identical to my 250. Not worth the upgrade.
ER6-N - Fun motor, short front end, foot position not all that comfortable to me.
ZX6-R - Insanely sharp, instant upshifts, lots of power, big forward lean, cramped footpegs. Not for me.

So far, I still prefer my 250R. :lol

Heh, if you think the ER6 has a short front end, I probably shouldn't recommend the Monster 696.

Why don't you.... try a Buell? Tube model preferably. :D

Watevaman

I need to stop looking at bikes on CL. I keep finding bikes that I can technically afford, but I have it in my head that by the time I sell my current bike, the ones I'm looking at will be sold and I'll be bikeless.

friend of mine is the finance manager at the local triumph dealership, and he keeps trying to entice me to buy one of the 2013 americas or speedmasters for a ridiculously good price...

Dougald

I've ridden the America and it's an enjoyable bike (though a bit low to the ground for me). It does lack power though, as it's basically just the Bonneville engine with less excitement

Dougald

Went out to the post office, bike had a little moment on the way back and wouldn't start - control panel lit up but wouldn't crank. "Turning it off and on again" seemed to do the trick, though

As it's a new to me used bike and given my history of starting problems with used bikes, plus the fact my wifes bike was on the Optimate last night... I'm looking squarely at the battery as the culprit.

Went out to the post office, bike had a little moment on the way back and wouldn't start - control panel lit up but wouldn't crank. "Turning it off and on again" seemed to do the trick, though

As it's a new to me used bike and given my history of starting problems with used bikes, plus the fact my wifes bike was on the Optimate last night... I'm looking squarely at the battery as the culprit.

Did you buy this bike from a dealer? I would let them know as you can get money out of them if you give them a bit of hassles.

Dougald

Yeah I got it from a Triumph dealer, but because the dealers so far off, it would cost me the same in petrol to go there and back as it would to just get a new battery

Honestly when it comes to consumables like that I'm not too bothered usually.

Yeah I got it from a Triumph dealer, but because the dealers so far off, it would cost me the same in petrol to go there and back as it would to just get a new battery

Honestly when it comes to consumables like that I'm not too bothered usually.

Its just always good to let them know that the bike that you bought with great effort is costing you more money. The secondhand dealer get away with way to much I think and its just out of principle really. When I got my car they did not tell me it needs a service so I took it to a local guy and he it needs a major service. I squeezed them for paying half the service and all my fuel costs up to Leicester and back. They make more than enough money out of people.

My valve stem on my back tire on my DR650 is leaking. Is there a way to fix this without replacing the whole tube? I was hoping to go for a ride tomorrow.

Edit: I think it's the actual valve and not the rubber or anything else.

Watevaman

Had a nice ~180 mile ride today. Made a bunch of passes over this mountain road to scrub my *new* (I think they have about 1000 miles on them now) Sport Demons in and get rid of those chicken strips that y'all were chatting about before. As promised before, here are some pics:

wp_20140705_12_21_47_pro__highres_by_watevaman-d7pcwxl.jpg

wp_20140705_14_40_17_pro__highres_by_watevaman-d7pcy8g.jpg

wp_20140705_14_39_25_pro__highres_by_watevaman-d7pcy9t.jpg

threw some yogi in there because what the heck, it's yogi

Damaged

Had a nice ~180 mile ride today. Made a bunch of passes over this mountain road to scrub my *new* (I think they have about 1000 miles on them now) Sport Demons in and get rid of those chicken strips that y'all were chatting about before. As promised before, here are some pics:

Good effort! not a trace left! Also reminded me that I took a couple of snaps the other night out for a ride that I meant to post

Much though I wish I had a few mountain roads right on my doorstep living on a peninsula does have its benefits

Luray, hmmm...this mountain road wouldn't have been 211, would it :p ...very popular road! I used to go to Luray/the valley in general because my grandparents (now gone) used to live there.

Watevaman

Yeah it was 211. Made about 3 passes over it before heading home. There were a ton of bikes out today, including this Panigale that was making passes with (well, quickly past) me.

Here is a quick video I did with the gopro mounted on the lefthand side of the helmet.

http://vimeo.com/100025008

This will allow you to see the field of view when normal riding. I still need to make some small adjustments as I get going. Also another tip is to get some velcro and strap the remote to you bikes yoke or your right arm to stop and start recording.

Hope this helps

Dougald

Here is a quick video I did with the gopro mounted on the lefthand side of the helmet.

This will allow you to see the field of view when normal riding. I still need to make some small adjustments as I get going. Also another tip is to get some velcro and strap the remote to you bikes yoke or your right arm to stop and start recording.

Hope this helps

Great video, I still gotta get a GoPro at some point...

Side note, by the looks of it your office is round the corner from mine!

Gritesh

Hope this helps

Wow.... nice roads to ride on.

What the hell am I doing living in Canada, only thing I got is overcrowded city roads and highways..

Wow.... nice roads to ride on.

What the hell am I doing living in Canada, only thing I got is overcrowded city roads and highways..

That road is not that great as its full of holes from the farm trucks. But its a nice little ride in the morning. I found a bit of a longer ride this morning and going to see if I can do a video of this. Its much better.

wow cool video. I am really surprised and how great those go pros are. I hope to see more of your vids in the future.

---

also , I finally got around to cleaning the bike. Looks much better, decided not to polish the pipes though

edit: damaged, great photos!

Damn, that bike is spotless. How long did you take to clean the machine?

Nice shots everyone.

Still knee deep in the middle of a move myself, but once that's over I hope I can get around to fixing the bikes. Post some new pics. I miss riding :(

Beautiful Fazer.. you must be proud of it!

Yep, the building is on the same park... Not that I ever go to the office much, but if you see a black street triple...

haha what is the chance... yes we are at the first turnoff when you are past the pond. Nice area and nice and close to the main links to get into london.

Dougald

That keyless start and luggage unlock on the r1200 would be cool to have.... But those are "touring Europe" bikes really

Damn, that bike is spotless. How long did you take to clean the machine?

3 or 4 hours maybe. I prob could have finished sooner but I went a bit overboard waxing the gas tank.

Beautiful Fazer.. you must be proud of it!

Thanks, and yes I am.

--

Has anyone ever owned an old, small displacement honda. I am talking specifically about the cub/supercub/passport/postie bikes. I want one so bad. Hoping to find a ct110 for a few hundred bucks and convert it into something like this:

Izayoi

Banned

Hope this helps
Man, those European roads look crazy... I thought some of the stuff we had here was sketchy for bikes, but it's nothing like that. You're all nuts!

Damaged

Hope this helps

Nice I need to try mounting my gopro on my helmet at some point, I have a chest harness that I use occasionally

wow cool video. I am really surprised and how great those go pros are. I hope to see more of your vids in the future.

---

also , I finally got around to cleaning the bike. Looks much better, decided not to polish the pipes though

edit: damaged, great photos!

Man that is so clean, looks great :D

Here's one of my attempts at a video from my ride yesterday. I still need to figure out the best mounting position for it.

http://vimeo.com/100112714

Looks good, personally I would lift it a little higher so you can see more of the road.

Here is a vid of mine from last year, I need to get out for a proper run with it in Wales this year.

http://youtu.be/y1DrGpx1Opo

I did attempt a timelapse video but it didn't really work ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bI53R_TWFI ) . Got some reasonable pictures though

Speedo edited for reasons...

Dougald

Man, those European roads look crazy... I thought some of the stuff we had here was sketchy for bikes, but it's nothing like that. You're all nuts!

You guys are just spoilt! Nothing like a narrow, hedge-lined, pothole-filled road at 60mph to put hair on the chest... Maybe sometimes I wish I had a nice wide, flat road

Currently on the south coast of England surrounded by awesome biking roads.... Only problem is I don't have the bike!

So I think it's time to replace my gloves. Both hands are pretty much at this state. Anyone got any recommendations? I basically ride all year long since I live in LA so I don't need some heated thing but something that would stay a little warm in winter nights would be great. I'm using a pair of Alpinestars SMX-2 so worst comes to worst I'll just get another.

Izayoi

Banned
So I think it's time to replace my gloves. Both hands are pretty much at this state. Anyone got any recommendations? I basically ride all year long since I live in LA so I don't need some heated thing but something that would stay a little warm in winter nights would be great. I'm using a pair of Alpinestars SMX-2 so worst comes to worst I'll just get another.
I've got a pair of Firstgear Navigators, and I love them.

I actually had an expensive pair of A-stars before and in a little under a month I wore a hole in the thumb on my throttle hand, returned them for the Firstgears and don't regret it one bit - they're a huge upgrade. Way more comfortable, and waterproof as well.

I'd recommend some Held's if you can get your hands on them right now. My favorite gloves by far. Their old US distributor went out of business, but from what I heard, they have a new one and stores should have them back in stock soon.

Dougald

Saw a bloke on one yesterday, it looked comically small on him, but it just made me want one even more. They look great fun.

Held or Knox Handroid.

iamblades

This guy has it right:

Held or Knox Handroid.

Held and Knox make the best gloves money can buy

I was sad to learn the Knox gloves don't fit me. "Medium" too small and "large" too big.

Unless the medium stretches a lot...

Like most gloves, they will have a bit of break-in time. However if holding your hand still/straight inside the medium hurt then that won't work. Why didn't large work? A tiny bit of free space in a couple fingertips is no big deal, though if all couldn't reach the gloves may just not work. Not sure if the fit differs between models. While I have now (unfortunately) successfully tested Knox Handroid gloves twice, you can always go for Held. Honestly the top end Held gloves may actually protect better.

Top Bottom