• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

If you're looking for some Held's, check out sportbiketrackgear.com because they're selling it on closeout price right now due to Held's US distributor problems. They're limited on sizes though. It took me a lot of searching just to find some Phantom II's last month, but I managed to get Motosport.com to price match sportbiketrackgear.

Go with the smaller fit and it'll usually stretch out. As long as it's not cutting off blood circulation, it should be ok after some use.

Nice cafe racer

2VtQfg0.jpg

Yup, that one is drop dead gorgeous.

It's a damn shame Harley doesn't have anything off the shelf like that. Cause that engine still is a thing of beauty but it's a shame it's only available in bikes that simply don't ride as well as something with that geometry.

And it simply looks better too. I mean, just look at it.

<3 <3 <3

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So the new 2015 Harley Road Glide has been spotted on the streets of LA:

2015-Harley-Davidson-Road-Glide-left-34.jpg

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/620/1...015-Harley-Davidson-Road-Glide-Spy-Shots.aspx

The new fairing looks a bit different, but that was expected. They've added a vent at the top of the fairing and two more vents along the sides of the headlights. No real shots of the inner fairing yet, but I don't really expect too much to change from the old fairing.

I can't wait to see it in person a few months from now and to test ride it. I doubt I'll trade in my 2011 Road Glide just yet, but hey if the changes are nice enough I just might.

I dont know about that look... it looks like they bolted this front end of a car as fairing

bkmruXL.jpg

They do make nice bike but that does not look good. PO ofc

Got up a little early today and went for coffee and a breakfast pie before work.

Really considering getting a fender eliminator kit and ditching my back fender / turning signals. Unfortunately everything I've read about it says you need to rewire some stuff and I really don't trust myself enough to do it.

Got up a little early today and went for coffee and a breakfast pie before work.

Really considering getting a fender eliminator kit and ditching my back fender / turning signals. Unfortunately everything I've read about it says you need to rewire some stuff and I really don't trust myself enough to do it.

Might be worth getting a quote to find out how much it will cost and if its not too much buy the part and let the guys fit it. It does make a big difference to the look of any bike. Nice bike guzzi's are awesome

If you're looking for some Held's, check out sportbiketrackgear.com because they're selling it on closeout price right now due to Held's US distributor problems. They're limited on sizes though. It took me a lot of searching just to find some Phantom II's last month, but I managed to get Motosport.com to price match sportbiketrackgear.

Go with the smaller fit and it'll usually stretch out. As long as it's not cutting off blood circulation, it should be ok after some use.

If you cannot get a hold of Held (heh heh) I have also heard good things about Racer gloves. They use really good materials and construction as well.

http://www.racerglovesusa.com/

Gritesh

It sounds great! It's a nice low rumble at low rpm's that evens out to a smooth sound through the range, it really barks if you chop it though!

Overall for looks and sound I'm pretty content!

Dougald

That orange and black goes so well together, beautiful bike!

Just as I return from my holiday, the British weather returns, so I missed out on going to the Ace cafe bike night yesterday. The Street hasn't played up again - I'm still going to go ahead and change the battery anyway, even though my multimeter reports it as "good", it's quite old. I've spoken to the sales guy I know at the local dealership and he says that the batteries in the Street Triple are notoriously underpowered for the bike (his exact words were, if you turn on the ignition and don't start it immediately, it will run the battery down to the point where it won't start in a few minutes). I've at least confirmed that the charging system on the bike is working. It's only happened twice though so I'm really just being thorough, to be honest.

After seeing an MSX125/Grom in the flesh on Wednesday, I really want to try it. Might try and wrangle a test ride at Honda, though I couldn't justify owning one to myself unless it was for commuting...

That orange and black goes so well together, beautiful bike!

Just as I return from my holiday, the British weather returns, so I missed out on going to the Ace cafe bike night yesterday. The Street hasn't played up again - I'm still going to go ahead and change the battery anyway, even though my multimeter reports it as "good", it's quite old. I've spoken to the sales guy I know at the local dealership and he says that the batteries in the Street Triple are notoriously underpowered for the bike (his exact words were, if you turn on the ignition and don't start it immediately, it will run the battery down to the point where it won't start in a few minutes). I've at least confirmed that the charging system on the bike is working. It's only happened twice though so I'm really just being thorough, to be honest.

After seeing an MSX125/Grom in the flesh on Wednesday, I really want to try it. Might try and wrangle a test ride at Honda, though I couldn't justify owning one to myself unless it was for commuting...

That was my same feeling about the GROM... It would be nice to use it in the winter months but they again I can just use my big bike. But do yourself a favour and ride it its just great fun. At first you feel like you are sitting over the front wheel and I was having my leg out around roundabouts. I have find a few sites that sell old BMW's and I am going to start looking out for an old R80GS. That is a bike i did a 7600km trip on and I just love the way it rides.

A am the same if I get a new or second hand bike i like to sort it out and learn about it. If I where you if you can swap the batt. Just for your own piece of mind.

I had a trip to Bahnstormer today to get my book stamped and did not see any signs of the new electric scooter. mmm they must be hiding it well.

Congrats Marv, great colours!

In other news, I completed work on one of the three bikes today. The M2 Cyclone is back up and running. Changed the oil, changed the filter, changed the transmission oil, checked primary chain tension and fixed a whole bunch of wiring issues. The maiden voyage was glorious, hadn't ridden a Buell since... april?

imag1559uokhc.jpg

Did they have a red one as well? Kinda needs to be red :D, though I must say, it looks almost equally tight in white. Interesting design. I like the Panigale inspired headlights.

Nice work on the F800, it's spotless. Long live the belt drive aye :p.

Dougald

Prepping my tiny replacement battery (Triumph really did under-spec these), and I see that I was partially wrong about the current one - it's not the original battery, but it is a crappy non-brand.

Seeing as it's such a critical part, and especially as the batteries are so weak on the Street Triple, I have no idea why you wouldn't just replace it with a decent unit.

Dougald

For some reason I've become really enamored with the idea of getting a little old BMW R65 or similar

m0Ghu64.jpg

But I did just get rid of 2 bikes because I can't afford to run more than one.. so maybe not. Maybe I'll wait until the wife gets a full license so I can buy it on the pretense of being a present for "her"

Yeah, I have to admit. Keeping the three I have up and running is quite a task
(thanks dad)
. Not only financially, but in terms of time as well.

You guys are making my dream of having 10+ bikes into a nightmare haha. I just want one from every major cafe builder and a Ducati Sport classic.

Dougald

I imagine that for modern bikes, Buell and Ducati need more fettling than most. I enjoy that part though, it's just the parts, the road tax, the insurance, the need to get it inspected every year... it adds up.

Of course in the UK now not only are pre-1960 vehicles tax exempt, but are also exempt from the yearly safety inspection. So that 1948 Douglas I've always wanted is a whole £100 a year less to run...

We're lucky that we still don't have an MOT here in the Netherlands. Not that it really matters (having your bike in the best of shape is even more in your own best interest than with a car :D ).

As for maintenance. It's the Buells that prove most expensive to own atm. My hope is that I'm now simply taking care of maintenance type stuff that was long overdue, and that they will in fact run without too many problems for a a modest period at least.

Still, right now it feels totally worth it. Riding the Cyclone yesterday was one of the very best feelings in the world. Literally grinning ear to ear.

Handling is also excellent now. Perfect, in fact. No wonder the guy sold it, it was unrideable the state it was in. I don't understand how you fuck up that bad when you're mounting new bits and pieces, or reassemble a front fork. Just read the fucking manual, pfff.

/edit: short vid of it running: http://youtu.be/8hhSq8JZle4

Watevaman

Speaking of Buells, my buddy bought a new Iron 883 this weekend. Ok, not related in any way except it's a Harley and Buell blah blah blah.

It's a very nice looking bike, looks and feels nice, but it's definitely not my style (I like humping my bikes, not hanging on). One thing that completely blows my mind is that there aren't some kind of heat shields on the exhaust though. Where you rest your feet at a stop makes it so easy to hit your calf/heel on the exhaust and burn the heck out of it. I barely tapped it with my foot 5 minutes after I shut it down and it caused a nice pink spot to develop, whereas my GS exhaust would be warm but not scorching by then.

Anyway, it's his dream bike so I'm happy for him.

Dougald

I quite like the 883, apart from the price. If I was paying the "Harley Tax", it'd have to be for a big-ass touring bagger like the Road King. There are just so many other bikes in the 883's class that I consider superior (except for the lack of an HD badge). You also pay through the nose for a Harley over here, though after a point they don't seem to lose *any* value at all, which is a plus.

Lack of shielding on the Bonneville exhaust is also why half my expensive Altberg riding boots are now the new owners problem. Melted leather is a bitch to clean off

For some reason I've become really enamored with the idea of getting a little old BMW R65 or similar

m0Ghu64.jpg

But I did just get rid of 2 bikes because I can't afford to run more than one.. so maybe not. Maybe I'll wait until the wife gets a full license so I can buy it on the pretense of being a present for "her"

Damn man.... I spoke to my dad last night and told him to keep close tabs on a 1986 R80GS that I rode on a big trip to see if we can get this bike back in the family. His friend that bought the bike is not using it.

ZuvnzBg.jpg

This was such a nice bike to ride

Dougald

Beautiful bike, the R80GS. Unfortunately it's now reached classic status and tends to go for stupid money (5 grand or so). Though ever since the Adventure bike craze, anything with "BMW" and "GS" on it has always commanded a premium

You touched metal at 'calf' or 'knee hight'?

I once rode a Harley that would've eaten my jeans if I hadn't been wearing boots. (The front pulley was exposed.) But that bike had been through some shit. Think it was an '82 or something.

Nasty place for a burn. Happened when you set your foot down I gather?

Was just browsing and stumbled across this bike (that is for sale), the most beautiful Yamaha ever built in my opinion:

_859vjfi.jpg

_851uks1j.jpg

http://link.marktplaats.nl/m789373239

I used to own one (a 5 valve per cylinder YZF750R), though not in colors quite as gorgeous as these.

iamblades

We're lucky that we still don't have an MOT here in the Netherlands. Not that it really matters (having your bike in the best of shape is even more in your own best interest than with a car :D ).

As for maintenance. It's the Buells that prove most expensive to own atm. My hope is that I'm now simply taking care of maintenance type stuff that was long overdue, and that they will in fact run without too many problems for a a modest period at least.

Still, right now it feels totally worth it. Riding the Cyclone yesterday was one of the very best feelings in the world. Literally grinning ear to ear.

Handling is also excellent now. Perfect, in fact. No wonder the guy sold it, it was unrideable the state it was in. I don't understand how you fuck up that bad when you're mounting new bits and pieces, or reassemble a front fork. Just read the fucking manual, pfff.

/edit: short vid of it running: http://youtu.be/8hhSq8JZle4

That should be the case in most situations,

There will always be a rarity premium on certain things though, but it is usually worth it in the long run.

Damaged

Nasty place for a burn. Happened when you set your foot down I gather?

Was just browsing and stumbled across this bike (that is for sale), the most beautiful Yamaha ever built in my opinion:

_859vjfi.jpg

_851uks1j.jpg

http://link.marktplaats.nl/m789373239

I used to own one (a 5 valve per cylinder YZF750R), though not in colors quite as gorgeous as these.

That has aged really well, so many sports bikes look dated very quickly especially with some of the awful paint jobs during the 90's

Went for a ride with my buddies this evening. It was most excellent. Swapped bikes halfway. So that's one of my friends trying out the M2 and the other having a go on the new Speed Triple.

img_2504phkse.jpg

img_2509y2kk2.jpg

Top Bottom