• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Went for a ride with my buddies this evening. It was most excellent. Swapped bikes halfway. So that's one of my friends trying out the M2 and the other having a go on the new Speed Triple.

img_2504phkse.jpg

img_2509y2kk2.jpg

nice man... some good photos and it looks like a nice evening out

Why thank you :D

And really? Buell prices that high over in the UK?

/edit: just had a look, over 6000 pounds for that S1 Lightning! That's... steep, though it seems the S1 is the first in line for an increase in value due to rarity and positioning as the top of the line bike.

nice man... some good photos and it looks like a nice evening out

Yeah man, it was perfect: temperature around 22-23 degrees and almost no cars on the road.

Dougald

Not as pricey as a Harley, but for what you get for the money, they are overpriced unless you *really* want a Buell.

I'm waiting for the price of a Diavel to come down anyway. Hopefully I can afford one in a couple years when I tire of the Street Triple.

Well, I wonder where Buell bikes are going to end up in terms of value. A lot of them were probably wrecked and a lot were used as donor bikes for chopper projects because the Buell engines were more potent than standard sportster mills. Which means that, from the already low number of Buells produced, not that many are left, let alone ones that are in a somewhat original condition. So maybe the current prices aren't that crazy. And similar bikes, Ducati Monster 900/1000 maybe?, are often more expensive (in good conditions) than these Buells.

Dougald

I think decent, original condition Buells will only go up in value.. a future classic and piece of American Motorcycle history

Unless Harley bring the brand back in a couple of years.

That would be pretty awesome. Think I'd be first in line if they make a new bike with a Harley engine (instead of the later Rotax ones).

In any case, it's a good time to jump in Dougald :D.

Dougald

Hah... well if I come into a few grand than I can spend, I'll consider it.....

Talking of reviving motorcycle history, the Ariel Ace looks like it's going to be an absolutely insane bike, though at £20,000 I don't think they will sell many. If it's anything like the Ariel Atom (the only time I've felt legitimately terrified driving a car), then it'll be awesome.

Pity Triumph are really the only British marque to come back and release bikes at an affordable cost. They must have called John Bloor a madman when he went to buy the land where the old factory was for housing development, and ended up buying the name and rebuilding the company.

Yes! The other spec looks even better imho:

ariel-ace-04_800x0wypdtd.jpg

Almost looks like that Confederate bike of a few years ago. Excellent, though yes, very likely too rich for my blood.

Dougald

Lovely warm evening, stupid me decides to take a route that starts with the motorway (getting my bike nice and hot) and ends with my legs melting in roadworks in a country village. I forgot about the underseat furnace that is my exhaust.

We may like our beer warm in England but I sure am glad I had some cheap stuff in the fridge.

Dougald

Nope just discomfort! Imagine someone standing behind you aiming a hairdryer at your backside, that's pretty much it

Only really noticeable under 30mph, too. I just chose a poor route with too much traffic

Nope just discomfort! Imagine someone standing behind you aiming a hairdryer at your backside, that's pretty much it

Only really noticeable under 30mph, too. I just chose a poor route with too much traffic

Might be worth a check to see if the heat shielding is still there as it should not be that hot. Or you can get some shielding and just stick it in. Very easy to do. Its silver on the one side and sticky stuff on the other side. Snip and stick

Dougald

From a look about its a pretty common complaint with the underseat models. I read that sticking exhaust tape on can help a bit, but apparently a lot of the seat-heating comes from the engine anyway.

The real solution is to get a lowboy exhaust... or just ride faster! At least I'll be warm in the winter

Or, if upgrading was on the agenda anyway, get a carbon fibre exhaust (I can ride the Monster all day and still touch them with my bare hands). Personally I wouldn't go for a low mounted exhaust on a Triple, really does a look a lot better high up.

Dougald

Yep honestly the underseat was part of the reason I went with an older model (that and not having to spend a penny over the sale price of my old bikes)

Here's your problem:

Let's take a look under the seat... the coolant reservoir?? I'm not sure how hot that gets, but it probably doesn't help..

"Luckily" in Britain it's mild and raining (or at least overcast) about 360 days a year. So it'll come in handy

Gritesh

Yep honestly the underseat was part of the reason I went with an older model (that and not having to spend a penny over the sale price of my old bikes)

Here's your problem:

Let's take a look under the seat... the coolant reservoir?? I'm not sure how hot that gets, but it probably doesn't help..

"Luckily" in Britain it's mild and raining (or at least overcast) about 360 days a year. So it'll come in handy

That's the rear brake reservoir is it not?

Edit nope that's coolant..

Dougald

Oh yeah, on the Pre-2010 models, Triumph apparently also located the rectifier UNDER THE SEAT

So you can imagine why those were all recalled to have the rectifier replaced... they were shorting out and killing the alternator

Damaged

Here's your problem:

Genius,... Where shall we put the coolant? I know! in a place with no airflow next to the electricity source....

Still a bloody lovely bike though

Dougald

Despite all the moaning and the fact we're having a heatwave, I just went out for an hour on the bike anyway. It's so much fun you almost forget about the heat. Just gotta stick to the 60mph backroads

The solution is... don't ride under 30mph! You can see the temperature rising on the gauge the moment you drop below 30.

Damaged

Despite all the moaning and the fact we're having a heatwave, I just went out for an hour on the bike anyway. It's so much fun you almost forget about the heat. Just gotta stick to the 60mph backroads

The solution is... don't ride under 30mph! You can see the temperature rising on the gauge the moment you drop below 30.

Yeah the joys of italian bikes means that my fan isnt kicking it at the moment so I just cant stop haha

Watevaman

Just went for one of those rides with no destination, just searching for nice peaceful scenery and roads. Found a nice route, piddled along for about 120 miles total. I ended up in horse and wine country and was just admiring the huge swaths of land the farms had, barely quick enough to keep the bike up. It was a great day to clear my head.

Dougald

Crazy, in England, lane splitting is a daily fact of life for every rider. Every traffic light, if there's room for me to safely go to the front, you'd better believe I will. Doesn't excuse those who do it at highway speeds though.

Just went for one of those rides with no destination, just searching for nice peaceful scenery and roads. Found a nice route, piddled along for about 120 miles total. I ended up in horse and wine country and was just admiring the huge swaths of land the farms had, barely quick enough to keep the bike up. It was a great day to clear my head.

Those rides are always the best, just pick a direction and head in it. The number of places you'd never realise are on your doorstep otherwise are huge

took the erc yesterday, was a nice refresher. i think i'm functionally competent at u-turns now. duder at the class dropped his brand new cvo road king, and he hadn't installed his crash bars yet --- ouch.

edit: nice 600rr, above!

Dougald

That is a sweet helmet design. Real shame about the R6, a friend of mine had the same model/colour, awesome bike.. but looks like you got something even nicer now

senahorse

Love that helmet. We're making a real, DOT approved Master Chief helmet. I can't wait. I'm gonna totes rock it on my ONI customized Drop-Shock Ruckus

LOL cool, is that going to be a dual sport helmet? This is the helmet I use for dual-sporting:

stig-dan-arai-768x1024.jpg

Arai XD4, has a bit of an MC vibe about it (this is not me or my actual one)

So I finally decided to give the rear fender on my bike the chop.

Couldn't find a picture of my bike from behind so I just gotta use a stock one for reference.

Went from

To

Much better in my opinion. Just waiting on the new signals to come in for the front and rear and I should be good. The dude working on my bike is going to make a bracket for the license plate today. Not much else I want to do to the bike cosmetically other than that though. I might go with a smaller exhaust or maybe wrap the pipes.

Also need a new rear tire heh.

Top Bottom