• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

in winter, all i do on my bikes is commute -- fun rides are at a minimum. therefore, i have too much time to THINK about bikes, instead of riding them in a more entertaining manner.

thank god the tuono v4 1100 and r1200rs are 2016 imports...

Jackson

in winter, all i do on my bikes is commute -- fun rides are at a minimum. therefore, i have too much time to THINK about bikes, instead of riding them in a more entertaining manner.

lol u get a new bike every 3-4 months I swear

Watevaman

I learned a while ago not to look at bikes, it just gets me dreaming. Instead, I look at parts for my bike and upgrades I might be able to do.

Days when I get to go out and look at a bike (and buy it maybe) are some of my most fondly remembered ones. Part love for the bike, part excitement over possibly being burned by a total lemon (or the opposite of that and finding a total steal) and part assuaging guilt over spending so much money by taking comfort in the knowledge that we're all flying on a big rock through infinite space where nothing really matters that much anyway.

There's an honest to god S1 Lightning for sale, right here in the Netherlands by the way.

Roland Sands do a full bolt on no cutting or drilling upgrade for the R nine T, and damn it looks sweet

vDHyP5G.jpg

UIRk3iR.jpg

Dougald

That RnineT really is a modders dream as that entire tail section is user-removable, right? No cutting needed

Something about the boxer engine on a street bike looks awesome too.

I thought all Roland Sands ever did was put some different-coloured parts on and change the stock seat for a brown one

Yes that is correct... All the parts you can buy and bolt on. No cutting or drilling needed. The only thing you cannot buy is the pipe as they are still testing it as it needs to be quieter for EU rules.

Every part is around £260 .... Still in the end you will have a nice looking machine.

Loosen some bolts and you have this

jZP5G3j.jpg

Love that R nineT. Looks amazing in person.

I checked out the Indian Scout yesterday. Didn't ride it yet but was very comfortable. Really cheap looking at and feeling switchgear. Surprisingly bad.

Oh and my fiancee's Iron has arrived at the dealers...shes picking it up Saturday when I am unfortunately over the other side of the world.

KWniz09.jpg

Love that R nineT. Looks amazing in person.

I checked out the Indian Scout yesterday. Didn't ride it yet but was very comfortable. Really cheap looking at and feeling switchgear. Surprisingly bad.

Oh and my fiancee's Iron has arrived at the dealers...shes picking it up Saturday when I am unfortunately over the other side of the world.

KWniz09.jpg

nice looking machine... like the silver tank but they can update that fork boots

Dougald

Looking good!

But I like yours better :) But maybe I am just thinking about having to repolish all that chrome....

I think it's about time I did another bike trip.. Less space on the street triple though

Dougald

I definitely will be. At £6995 for the base model it's better than a Bonneville - £600 less than a T100 and £200 more than the mag wheel Bonnie. It's a steal.

Of course, I'll be buying a used/ex-demo model if I do get one, so even less money!

Would never ever buy a demo bike though. Cause then you know pretty much for sure that no one ever bothered to get the oil up to temperature.

Dougald

Directed the wife on changing her brake pads at the weekend, calipers were FILTHY inside. Clean your calipers every now and then guys.

Trying to work out my maintenance needs for this year, the history on the Street though being documented is a little spotty. I believe it's time for a valve clearance check which is the only thing I won't do... pricey. I've decided to be cheap and do sparks/oil/coolant/air filter myself as it should only take a spring afternoon. After all that we'll see how much money is left for tyres....

Maybe not a Ducati anyway...

Well, come to think of it. My former brother in law was in the market for an ex-demo 2015 BMW G1200 adventure. The sale was postponed though cause of some kind of critical engine failure, like a pretty major bearing or a seized piston or some shit like that. So regardless of brand, those ex demo bikes are a bit iffy in my view.

Directed the wife on changing her brake pads at the weekend, calipers were FILTHY inside. Clean your calipers every now and then guys.

Trying to work out my maintenance needs for this year, the history on the Street though being documented is a little spotty. I believe it's time for a valve clearance check which is the only thing I won't do... pricey. I've decided to be cheap and do sparks/oil/coolant/air filter myself as it should only take a spring afternoon. After all that we'll see how much money is left for tyres....

How much does a valve clearance check run you over in the UK?

Dougald

No idea on the Street Triple yet. When I had a major service on the Bonneville it was about £470 from the main dealer, which included a valve clearance, but that was a much simpler bike to work on.

The wife had Honda quote her something like £190 for the clearance or £290 for clearance + adjusting if it needs changing on her CBR600F. You would think the Street Triple would be a bit less considering it's a 3-cylinder, but I've heard its a bit of a pig of a job. At least there isn't any labour for removing fairings..

Watevaman

Not looking forward to ever doing a valve adjustment on the zrx. 16 valves vs the gs' 4 won't be fun.

Edit: And the 24 if i ever get a cbx will be murder

Dougald

Honestly, I could certainly get away with not doing it. But I just don't like risking it with a "new to me" bike. I know for sure it wasn't done last year, and even though I think the every 2 years Triumph say you need a major service on the Street Triple is crazy, I might as well get it done now for peace of mind.

At least I know that I'm not doing it myself. I like DIY but just doing it once on the wifes single-cylinder (which didn't even have shims) was enough to put me off even bothering on anything larger than a twin. I'll pay for the peace of mind and lack of fustration.

If I were to get a Harley, that's what I'd get... After selling the Bonneville I'm not sure I'm ready to go back to all that chromework though. It's very rewarding, but a pain in the arse!

I know a chap with a VTX that gets used all-day, every day, all-weathers. He just gave up cleaning it, all the chrome is behind several inches of grime at this point. Actually looks quite badass, but I'm sure the finish is ruined forever.

Hehe, looks like a lot of work, all that chrome.

Its not too bad. Once or twice a year take 2 or 3 hours to get a good wax everywhere. Then after that it's light maintenance cleaning. I do it once a week. If it rains during the week it takes me about an hour. If it doesn't rain its a dry bath with a microfiber cloth and takes about 15 minutes.

Maybe you should come to Texas. Riding weather all year long. I commute 80 miles a day, 5 days a week and still have gorgeous enough weather to go out for a relaxing spin.

10k miles in the last 3.5 months of 2014.

But now I find myself looking at cheap sport bikes for when I dont feel like lugging my 820 pound monster in stop and go traffic for errands and whatnot

^ I'm jealous, it's so hit or miss over here with the weather.

Honestly, I could certainly get away with not doing it. But I just don't like risking it with a "new to me" bike. I know for sure it wasn't done last year, and even though I think the every 2 years Triumph say you need a major service on the Street Triple is crazy, I might as well get it done now for peace of mind.

At least I know that I'm not doing it myself. I like DIY but just doing it once on the wifes single-cylinder (which didn't even have shims) was enough to put me off even bothering on anything larger than a twin. I'll pay for the peace of mind and lack of fustration.

Yeah, though I wouldn't worry too much about the intervals in terms of time, just actual mileage.

Jealous. I have a few more months to wait. Just seeing what used bikes pop up at my local shop... so far only a 2006 FZ1, a little faster than I want. And no ABS. But still.... :eek:

did 200ish miles sunday in 60 degree weather. circled camano island. a lovely time!

today got up to 64ish degrees, but i was stuck in the office. used lunch break to loop lake sammammish at inappropriate speeds. :-D

Jackson

did 200ish miles sunday in 60 degree weather. circled camano island. a lovely time!

today got up to 64ish degrees, but i was stuck in the office. used lunch break to loop lake sammammish at inappropriate speeds. :-D

I took my wife out in the car for a... Er... spirited drive on some roads up there! You and I should go on our bikes sometime.

Riding New Zealand and North America are my 2 biking dreams

Lol where though? There's too many places to drive here! Too many different biomes!

Jealous. I have a few more months to wait. Just seeing what used bikes pop up at my local shop... so far only a 2006 FZ1, a little faster than I want. And no ABS. But still.... :eek:

Dude you're getting a new bike?! Killer! :) have you Demo'd a ninja 636? You had a ninja 250 right? Perfect upgrade! Fast as heck but really made for the street, not the track. I regret not making a used one my first bike. Newer ones comes with ABS, engine modes and traction control ;)

Dougald

I suppose I should really head back to the continent soon, having all of Europe at my doorstep is something I sometimes take for granted. The Channel Tunnel is super easy for bikes too, just ride onto the train, sit there for 20 minutes and ride off into France.

Thinking of a run to Scotland later this year, that's probably more "practical" on a Street Triple - I'm not lugging camping gear on it! The Scottish highlands really are spectacular, it's just the pain of getting up there from the south.

I suppose I should really head back to the continent soon, having all of Europe at my doorstep is something I sometimes take for granted. The Channel Tunnel is super easy for bikes too, just ride onto the train, sit there for 20 minutes and ride off into France.

Thinking of a run to Scotland later this year, that's probably more "practical" on a Street Triple - I'm not lugging camping gear on it! The Scottish highlands really are spectacular, it's just the pain of getting up there from the south.

Scotland would be pretty awesome on a bike. Maybe I can convince my friends to make a trip up there, make it a group effort.

Dougald

You can get a Ferry to Newcastle from Amsterdam IIRC, would make it an easy trip. Only about 5 hours in the saddle from Newcastle to Inverness

Dougald

Probably only a couple hours to Scotland proper, but I seem to recall you run out of dual carraigeways after a certain point which does slow you down (maybe not if you're on a Ducati)

Haven't posted for a while since my bike has been out of commission and I didn't have the funds to get it fixed but man it's great to be riding again.

Has anyone ever gone on the EDR ( El Diablo Run)? I'm going to go this year for sure. I'm not sure if it's only known about in California but here's a cool video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia4egi4Yxik

Anyone in Southern California interested? It's from May 27th to June 1st.

Top Bottom