• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

My Street Triple hasn't been out since the start of January when I had to commute for a week. Given that it seems to be getting colder every day I think there isn't much chance of an early start to the riding season this year

Looks and sounds awesome!

I am jealous of your garage, bloody thing is half the size of my HOUSE. I hate being English sometimes...

I hear that. The garage is the real star of that video.

I MAED A VIDEO 4 U.

please note: bike is wet AND dirty. i am a REAL MAN.

http://youtu.be/HjDzPXfXopg

note: may still be processing.

No, I kid, it sounds fantastic. Enjoyed the commentary too, interesting to hear you guys actually speak.

Made a similar video after washing the X1 yesterday (was afraid some salt had gotten on it, haha), no talking though (turn up the bass):

http://youtu.be/AfR9vzUE-Mg

love it. flawless all-rounder. i mean, i can't think of a legit problem it has except it's a bit of a sailboat in crosswinds. triumph triple, flawless transmission, comfy saddle, offroad capability, cruises at 85-90 effortlessly and pleasantly, immune to the elements...and isn't boring like a v-strom? it's all win, baby!

nice vid, as well. man, the buell v-twins make a killer sound -- vaguely desmo, but with a sportster's rawness. wish more sportbikes had belt drives...

i vaguely considered getting an ebr 1190sx, but i hate our ebr dealer in the area and i was afraid that bike would be too REAL for me. the tuono makes me a little bit nervous itself -- under 25 mph, it is palpably frustrated and needs some taming via clutch slippage -- but it's packed with nannies that the ebr naked doesn't have.

i've made a few ride videos with "drinky crow" commentary back when i had the street triple and the america. they're a bit amateurish as i hadn't sorted the mic out, and i found gopro studio to be as shitty as itunes as far as software goes. i'll post 'em when i get a chance. washington state is beautiful!

Evo X

Man, riding in the midwest blows. We have two seasons. Winter and Construction.

Where are all you guys from? We should plan a legendary 2 wheel GAF meetup & ride this summer.

Flo_Evans

Man, riding in the midwest blows. We have two seasons. Winter and Construction.

Where are all you guys from? We should plan a legendary 2 wheel GAF meetup & ride this summer.

I'm in St. Louis. I had planned a huge cross country GAF meetup ride but then I had kids. Last year (or maybe it was 2 years ago??) I met up with Dahellisdat for a ride. He has kids now too, not sure if he still has the bike.

Hey gaf,

So I'm back seeking some advice. My bike got stolen last week by some kids, luckily the police found it the a couple of hours later. It was sightly damaged from the theft and now I need to repair it.

So, the breakdown recovery guy told me that the bike's battery was drained and that I needed to get a new ignition because of the way the bike was hot-wired. Is any of this correct? I realise it's hard to comment without seeing the bike but I'd appreciate any advice.

I was thinking of getting this lockset and replacing the lockset myself. Would this work?

I really can't afford to go to the dealer any more, after my crash I've spent a lot of money on repairs and getting new helmet etc.

sounds ace. love those fat shotgun barrel pipes. :drool
Even though I love the refined sound of euro sport exhaust something about the boat engine blub blub blub sound just gets me hard
Very nice. Love the Road King too. Damn I'm already thinking about the next Harley!
That's how it was for me. I'm a pretty big guy and everyone at the dealership tried to talk me out of the sportster saying I would be back very soon looking for something bigger. I thought they were just salesmen being salesmen. I was looking at bigger bikes after a couple of weeks. Haha. But I loved my iron. I learned so much on it and it was cool as fuck too. I miss it for hopping around town. I kept it for 18 months but what pushed me was I went from a 7 mile commute one way to a 40 mile one way. Had to go for a touring at that point. Right? Or maybe it was an excuse :)

Hey gaf,

So I'm back seeking some advice. My bike got stolen last week by some kids, luckily the police found it the a couple of hours later. It was sightly damaged from the theft and now I need to repair it.

So, the breakdown recovery guy told me that the bike's battery was drained and that I needed to get a new ignition because of the way the bike was hot-wired. Is any of this correct? I realise it's hard to comment without seeing the bike but I'd appreciate any advice.

I was thinking of getting this lockset and replacing the lockset myself. Would this work?

I really can't afford to go to the dealer any more, after my crash I've spent a lot of money on repairs and getting new helmet etc.
They definitely could have damaged the ignition in the theft process. Hit up a good independent mechanic. I avoid dealerships like the plague

Since I have not taken an exhaust video, pretend I did (same pipes): http://youtu.be/JG9vQfvMPVM

Onboard (which I did take): http://youtu.be/ZqSr0EvfsPk

Since the advent of this 60fps YouTube thing (and getting a new computer) I'm thinking about editing the footage I got from the last time I went to the track and uploading that.

Damn I miss that sound from my sportster.

Here's my road king from this morning...

http://youtu.be/O2QsGlW4wWE

That sounds better than most aftermarket exhaust I hear on H-Ds.

Since I have not taken an exhaust video, pretend I did (same pipes): http://youtu.be/JG9vQfvMPVM

Onboard (which I did take): http://youtu.be/ZqSr0EvfsPk

Since the advent of this 60fps YouTube thing (and getting a new computer) I'm thinking about editing the footage I got from the last time I went to the track and uploading that.

I have much love for the crossplane sound. So raw for an I4.

Damn I miss that sound from my sportster.

Here's my road king from this morning...

http://youtu.be/O2QsGlW4wWE

Nice, yeah that's a real Harley alright, interesting how it is again very different from the Sportster engine. Must be the extra cubes.

I love how all of us are exposing our noise fetish with no holding back.

The sound difference between the Twin Cam (road king) and Evolution (sportster) engine is mainly due to the cam design. The evo engine has 4 cams with a single lobe each which gives it that quick choppy sound. In order to get that on mine I have to do a cam swap. I think I'll be doing that anyways.

This is what I want...
http://youtu.be/aMnFB7DDmus

Jackson

Ooh found a vid my friend took from October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni3FvPnMewM#t=140

We did a quick Mercer Island run. It was his first time and the road was damp due to the tree cover so it wasn't a fast run, but... LOOK AT THIS ROAD! Gotta look out for driveways though.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/47....421,-122.2128305/@47.5583083,-122.2012004,15z

Like 5 minutes off the highway from where I work/live lol. Fun lunch run.

He upgraded to the 675R from that 300 so it'll be fun this spring to see that new bike.

took the tuono on a peninsula + hurricane ridge run to break it in, got 200 miles on the clock.

i thought the z was fast. i was wrong. i was SECOND FUCKING GEAR passing cars at 80-90, and still wasn't redlining. after 4k, this bike PUKES power all over the rev band.

and the handling! i'd just countertap the bars to pass, get on the throttle, wheel lifts a bit and BAROOOOOOOOM bye bye motherfuckers! it tips so easy into corners, and the weight makes me feel really planted.

hit ~125 on hwy 101 in a clear spot before i chickenshitted out. omg omg omg adrenalin spooge. my helmet was on a little loose and i thought it was gonna rip my head off.

this is a serious doomface murderbike. i'm gonna hafta REALLY play it smart. the temptation to pass EVERYONE and slam it over in blind curves so i can throttle out like a bastard is waaaayyyy too strong. i'm gonna HAVE to do a track day very soon just to make me feel worthy of this bike.

when i got back, though, i ordered the gel seat. my ass is lit up worse than marcus bachmann's after a matt drudge costume party. (also the oem seat is a little slippery with my rain pants, gave me a mild pucker moment when i had to brake aggressively.)

after that, touring flyscreen. i mean, the lack of a screen keeps my speed down thanks to the wind, but, y'know...

also, i hate to sound like a shrieky little fanboy, but that v4 bellow is straight-up junkie music.

and the gearbox with the quickshifter makes the z seem like a caveman banging gears with rocks.

well, i'mma pass out now. too much adrenalin!

Watevaman

I hope quickshifters become a thing for all sport (or sport oriented) bikes in the future. I really want to try one but until I get around to getting an S1000R or whatever, I think most are aftermarket?

Jackson

I hope quickshifters become a thing for all sport (or sport oriented) bikes in the future. I really want to try one but until I get around to getting an S1000R or whatever, I think most are aftermarket?

Nah pretty much all new super sports have 'em in 2014-2015 models. You can't go back to non-quick shifters after you've done them. Also rev match downshifting... wooo... soooo good

I'm not sure I would like having a quickshifter. I think it's probably more satisfying doing it the old school way. I like the coordination aspect.

Also, I'm jelly Drinky. I bet that V4 is quite intoxicating. But I'm not sure I want a bike that can get me thrown in jail in 1st or 2nd gear. :lol

Nah pretty much all new super sports have 'em in 2014-2015 models. You can't go back to non-quick shifters after you've done them. Also rev match downshifting... wooo... soooo good
But rev-matching is the fun part.

i'm so conditioned to manually rev match for my downshifts that letting the computer do it still freaks me out. i turned it off for now on the tuono...

fuck clutching for upshifts (or preloading for upper-gear clutchless), though! i'm so over that. ;-)

Jackson

I'm not sure I would like having a quickshifter. I think it's probably more satisfying doing it the old school way. I like the coordination aspect.

Also, I'm jelly Drinky. I bet that V4 is quite intoxicating. But I'm not sure I want a bike that can get me thrown in jail in 1st or 2nd gear. :lol

But rev-matching is the fun part.

Quickshifting is awesome because you don't even let off the throttle you just goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... and flip your foot up. It's so great.

For me perfectly rev matching every time is the fun part. I get the smooth feel, I get the cool blip sound and I get zero goof ups. Makes you feel like a bad ass with zero effort lol

Don't knock it till you tried it. Cause you can't go back. :p

Dougald

The Street Triple R I tested had a quickshifter... So much fun. It's actually a bolt on part on the triumph but I can't justify the expense + insurance bump

Man that Tuono is nice. You're right an 800ish Tuono would be amazing.

My fiancee and I took the Harleys on a little weekend away. Only around 80 miles ride each way to a B&B (our first trip away on them so didn't go too far). Took the long way home but Google Maps on iOS is a pain to map non-main roads. We had to keep stopping at waypoints and remapping. I'll get the new Tomtom when it's out in April.

And btw Kriega 20 is perfect for the back of the Sportster! Pricey bag but great quality.

Oh and there is a huge camaraderie for motorcyclists it seems. Got loads of nods/waves from other bikers - regardless of what they were riding.

Dougald

Harley riders here never nod at me, glad to see you're the exception to the rule that keeps me nodding at them! Riding on the right is a lot more fun, being able to wave with your left hand is much better than a quick nod

Do you have a bluetooth kit to chat with the fiancee? My wife and I use Sena SMH-10 units, they are fantastic for bike-to-bike comms

Top Bottom