• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

haha, wtf. check this out, jackson: a ride report for a panigale 899 and a tuono v4r crossing the us -- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970336

Found a dealer about an hour and half away from me that has more bikes in stock and will have to go and test this machine.

Went to the lunch of the new S1000RR, R1200R and F800R. Man that R1200R is a sweet roadster and the seating position is just so comfortable. I am also very impressed with the look and feel of the F800R.

We all know the S1000RR is a solid fuel motor with wheel.

Dont know why but I am so missing the boxster engine. Does not have all the performance but its such a classic ride

Harley riders here never nod at me, glad to see you're the exception to the rule that keeps me nodding at them! Riding on the right is a lot more fun, being able to wave with your left hand is much better than a quick nod

Do you have a bluetooth kit to chat with the fiancee? My wife and I use Sena SMH-10 units, they are fantastic for bike-to-bike comms

Yeah we use the Cardo Scala G9x. Only problem is it's very quiet - I don't know if it's my speakers or the install. I tried it yesterday with my cheap ass iPhone earbuds and it works significantly better, so I'm going to get some of these custom moulded things to combine the ear bud with sound reduction. http://www.ultimateear.com/products/soundear-motorbike.php

Yeah we use the Cardo Scala G9x. Only problem is it's very quiet - I don't know if it's my speakers or the install. I tried it yesterday with my cheap ass iPhone earbuds and it works significantly better, so I'm going to get some of these custom moulded things to combine the ear bud with sound reduction. http://www.ultimateear.com/products/soundear-motorbike.php

I have been using the ultimaears for along time. It does not have the headphones in but they are awesome. Its made for your ears and they take a bit of time to get use to but super nice.

Haha awesome. I don't know if I can do 4,000 miles on the 899. Some guy in America did 16,000 miles on a 1199 S... Like a crazy person. He got semi-famous and so Ducati rewarded him with the very first US 1199 R lol

i wouldn't want to be panicking for gas stations every 100-120 miles! or having to slather my wrists in icyhot every evening... :-(

i just thought it was funny that they picked THOSE two bikes to do a cross-country tour. even a 250cc scooter is saner; at least it's comfortable...

Harley riders here never nod at me, glad to see you're the exception to the rule that keeps me nodding at them! Riding on the right is a lot more fun, being able to wave with your left hand is much better than a quick nod

Do you have a bluetooth kit to chat with the fiancee? My wife and I use Sena SMH-10 units, they are fantastic for bike-to-bike comms
I nod/wave this everyone on two wheels. The scoot riders in my area are usually the ones who don't wave or nod.

Dougald

I nod/wave this everyone on two wheels. The scoot riders in my area are usually the ones who don't wave or nod.

It's more that a lot British Harley riders (except sportsters, oddly), seem to fall into 2 categories

- Stockbrokers who take it out once a year and don't know to do it/don't care
- "he's not on a Harley/he's on a crappy sportbike, I won't nod"

Scoots generally don't nod because, as Fixed said, no-one nods at them. Or they're 16 years old riding in shorts/flip flops and more concerned with making as much noise from 50cc as they possibly can.

generally folks up here wave, even the scooter riders, who are usually on non-chinese > 50cc scoots (i.e. they are not riding liquorcycles).

i wave to everyone, because i'm a tard. if i don't get a wave from someone (who isn't operating the clutch or negotiating traffic), it's USUALLY a harley rider when i'm on a sportbike, and vice versa. a lot of adv riders are old cranks who refuse to wave at ANYONE, what with their weird libertarian "pretend people don't exist" ethos.

I had to look up "liquorcycles" and found this definition on urban dictionary that gave me a chortle.
Prefered method of transportation for DUI offenders. After losing his license for drinking and driving, Bob traded in his whip for a sweet-ass liquorcycle

Anywho, people around here riding motorcycles are pretty good about giving the wave. If I was riding my old Shadow then I would occasionally get snubbed by the sport bike riders and vice-verse when I had the Kawi Versys. I now get snubbed occasionally by cruisers and sport bike rides equally now that I ride a DR650 (which is going to be freed from winter storage soon! WOOT!)

Man the last couple of days have been incredible riding weather. Lows in the 50's and highs in the mid 70s with clear skies. Mmmm. Global warming

Got a phone call from Mr BMW, they are working on some prices for me.

If it all goes well I might be back on the old oil pump engine
Not Bahnstormer? I'm heading there tomorrow to test the new F800R and they told me today they're doing 3.9% APR on the new models. I'm more than a bit tempted but must clear some garage space first!

Watevaman

Haven't even heard of that, but it makes me really want to do the BRP soon. Probably gonna take a few days, throw a tent on the back of the ZRX, and take it easy down the whole thing.

Not Bahnstormer? I'm heading there tomorrow to test the new F800R and they told me today they're doing 3.9% APR on the new models. I'm more than a bit tempted but must clear some garage space first!

Jip they are the guys i have been buying most of my bikes from. Excelent service and man I had a sit on that 800 and its a nice bike. The matt blue is just a awesome look. You going to Maidenhead or Alton?

I saw the deal they are doing and it really good for BMW. They need to drop down on the deals as the other bike dealers arte doing very low rate.

Enjoy and keep us posted

Dougald

Man the last couple of days have been incredible riding weather. Lows in the 50's and highs in the mid 70s with clear skies. Mmmm. Global warming

bloody americans. Worst of the winter is over here though, another month till the season starts in ernest I think.

I am looking at the new R1200R sport. Its not as mad as your machine but I dont get to use my current bike to its full potential and I do miss the old boxer engine.

So if the guys do me a good deal I am in.

That is a nice looking bike
though I prefer the RS
- keep us posted so I can live through you without selling my Street Triple after less than a year

bloody americans. Worst of the winter is over here though, another month till the season starts in ernest I think.

That is a nice looking bike
though I prefer the RS
- keep us posted so I can live through you without selling my Street Triple after less than a year

Yes the RS is going to be a good seller but I am keen for something naked.... back to basics. I dont do allot of miles and I dont get time to get to the track. I do use the bike to day to day commuting and going on a nice ride on weekends. So I think the bike will suit me for now. But I have to try and keep this one for more than 2 years.

Jip they are the guys i have been buying most of my bikes from. Excelent service and man I had a sit on that 800 and its a nice bike. The matt blue is just a awesome look. You going to Maidenhead or Alton?

I saw the deal they are doing and it really good for BMW. They need to drop down on the deals as the other bike dealers arte doing very low rate.

Enjoy and keep us posted

Maidenhead. My company has an office here and I have to visit from time to time - might as well get something out of having to come all this way! Plus I won't give my business to the snobs in BMW Park Lane.

Maidenhead. My company has an office here and I have to visit from time to time - might as well get something out of having to come all this way! Plus I won't give my business to the snobs in BMW Park Lane.

I bought my 1150gs from Park Lane way back in 2004. I then found that the main guy left and started up Bahnstormer Alton with a partner. And so the story goes. Alton was the place to go and buy as they would always go out of there way to help. Then they opened up Maidenhead. Good bunch of guys.

Have a chat with Ryan at Maidenhead.

Yeah I've been dealing with Ryan. Really liked the F800R Sport! Way better in the front end (looking and handling) than the previous model. Ryan's going to see what he can do with my MSX as a part trade - he knows someone who knows someone who's after an MSX so let's see...

Also had a sit on the R1200R Sport - absolutely awesome! But too much bike and money for me right now. Hope you get it.

I'm gonna be in the Monterey, CA area late June/early July. I think I'm two weeks early to see the Superbike champsionship at Laguna Seca. Doh!!

Duderz

Banned
I made a thread about this but I needed to vent in here with like minded riders.

I ride my motorcycle to work often. I arrived at work at 8:30 in the morning, and when I came outside for lunch at 2:00pm, I see that my bike's front wheel is right against the front curb (odd, since I didn't park that far in the parking spot) and that the handle bars are oriented to the right (very odd, as this is not the proper way to park a bike). Thinking that someone decided to have a good time on my bike and sit down, I am very annoyed and immediately check for damage around the engine, mirrors, side panels, and front forks / fenders. No sign of damage, so I decide in the future that I will put a cover on to deter anyone from doing something as selfish and stupid as this.

Once I get home however, my Dad immediately notices it. My entire rear fender is completely bent. I have no clue how I missed this, but YEP, sure enough, some asshole must have thought the parking spot was empty, hit the bike and pushed it forward enough to hit the curb (thank God the kickstand didn't give way), and drove off. I am completely furious. Tomorrow I'm going in to work early to check and see if the building I'm at has any sort of security cameras that I can look at. If not, can anyone give any advice as to where to proceed? This is an office building with hundreds of employees (including Rockstar San Diego, I recently found out!), so I doubt I can do much except request an email blast and hope for the best.

...I think I'm screwed.

Dougald

Unless they have it on security cameras, it doesn't sound like there's much you can do except take it on the chin and thank your lucky stars that kickstand miraculously stayed down

Bastard.

^ sounds good, I like em both.

I made a thread about this but I needed to vent in here with like minded riders.

I ride my motorcycle to work often. I arrived at work at 8:30 in the morning, and when I came outside for lunch at 2:00pm, I see that my bike's front wheel is right against the front curb (odd, since I didn't park that far in the parking spot) and that the handle bars are oriented to the right (very odd, as this is not the proper way to park a bike). Thinking that someone decided to have a good time on my bike and sit down, I am very annoyed and immediately check for damage around the engine, mirrors, side panels, and front forks / fenders. No sign of damage, so I decide in the future that I will put a cover on to deter anyone from doing something as selfish and stupid as this.

Once I get home however, my Dad immediately notices it. My entire rear fender is completely bent. I have no clue how I missed this, but YEP, sure enough, some asshole must have thought the parking spot was empty, hit the bike and pushed it forward enough to hit the curb (thank God the kickstand didn't give way), and drove off. I am completely furious. Tomorrow I'm going in to work early to check and see if the building I'm at has any sort of security cameras that I can look at. If not, can anyone give any advice as to where to proceed? This is an office building with hundreds of employees (including Rockstar San Diego, I recently found out!), so I doubt I can do much except request an email blast and hope for the best.

...I think I'm screwed.

:(

I always park my bike on the curb. Preferably with something shielding it.

Treat that kickstand to a beer or two.

Duderz

Banned
Story looks to be heading in a very positive note - the guy responded to a cardboard sign I made and we exchanged info. Apparently he backed into the bike. I was just so thankful he came forward. What a huge relief.

Met a cool bro who happens to be 55 years old st the grocery store. He has a Harley Electra Glide and we both hate our local dealerships. Now we have been texting and discussing upgrades and whatnot.

senahorse

Great weather outlook for tomorrow, 20-29C (68-84F), route plugged in, sat imagery downloaded to GPS. Has also been raining a bit lately so it won't be too dusty, Saturday morning ride is going to be great :D

geopic_zps71838883.png~original

senahorse

I am using Garmin Basecamp with the birdseye subscription (lets you download satellite data). The GPS I am using is the Garmin Monterra:

5007162_monterra.jpg

I have a cradle wired into the bike so it charges/provides power when the bike is running. It also provides turn by turn, music etc via bluetooth so I can hear it on the Sena headset. It all works really well and am very happy with it.

I am using a combination of OSM generic maps as well as the Garmin Topo (for off-road) and street maps.

Dougald

Story looks to be heading in a very positive note - the guy responded to a cardboard sign I made and we exchanged info. Apparently he backed into the bike. I was just so thankful he came forward. What a huge relief.

Great news!

I am taking my wife up to London tomorrow for the super-romantic London Motorcycle Show.. will try and get some decent pics

Great news!

I am taking my wife up to London tomorrow for the super-romantic London Motorcycle Show.. will try and get some decent pics

We're going up tomorrow. Taking the fiancee's boy who will be climbing on EVERYTHING. As will I no doubt. And have another gander at that R1200R and try to convince myself the F800R is enough...

Dougald

We're going up tomorrow. Taking the fiancee's boy who will be climbing on EVERYTHING. As will I no doubt. And have another gander at that R1200R and try to convince myself the F800R is enough...

If you see a man with a beard wearing a Triumph leather jacket... it's probably not me because I'm sure that will describe a couple of thousand people there. But if he's excitedly climbing on a Scrambler, it may well be me

Top Bottom