• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

CFMOORE!

quick question about paint. where is the best place to go to match the color of my tank so i can paint a replacement seat cowl i purchased? i initially just though something like Home Depot color matching, but then figured that would be the completely wrong kind of paint.
So where can i go to get it matched for my purpose? Thanks!!!

YsoX21p.jpg

Dougald

The original V-Max is still a great looking bike, too. As long as you get the USA-esque "full-power" version and not the wussy version that was originally offered for sale here

Yeah, it's a pretty cool 'cult' sort of bike. Lusted after one ever since I was young, inspired by its appearance in the Joe Bar comics.

We even had our red tabby cat named after it back then 'Max'.

Jeez. I whine about the 30's. Down to mid 20's everything is okay except my gloves. I'm just going to get heated gloves next year. I haven't found anything unheated that actually does well for an hour at highway speeds under 40 degrees.

Dougald

Jeez. I whine about the 30's. Down to mid 20's everything is okay except my gloves. I'm just going to get heated gloves next year. I haven't found anything unheated that actually does well for an hour at highway speeds under 40 degrees.

I have those giant mittens that go over the handlebars but even those aren't enough after half an hour of sub-zero (metric) temperatures. I use a pair of keis heated undergloves in the winter and they are fantastic.

Those 3-finger Rukka gloves I bought for this winter have been awesome too. Highly recommended, you lose body heat much slower.

Piggus

Any Honda PCX 150 owners here? I should be getting one next month. Would like to hear some thoughts from people who have one or who have ridden one before I buy.

I wish we had more options for large wheel scooters in the US. There were so many bikes I saw in Indonesia that I would love to own here but aren't available. The PCX 150 seems pretty damn nice though.

Evo X

EDIT: On second thought, this was probably too serious of a topic to bring up in a thread about our shared hobby.

Carry on.

Palpable

Thinking about getting a crotch rocket in the future. Only bike I've ever ridden was a Honda 100cc dirtbike back when I was 14. Been 10 years, but I want to get a crock rocket now. I'm thinking of getting a Kawasaki Ninja 250r. That a good starter? I'd want a used one, too.

Dougald

Thinking about getting a crotch rocket in the future. Only bike I've ever ridden was a Honda 100cc dirtbike back when I was 14. Been 10 years, but I want to get a crock rocket now. I'm thinking of getting a Kawasaki Ninja 250r. That a good starter? I'd want a used one, too.

Perfect starter bike if you're in the US, that or the 300 are both very popular starter bikes there and with good reason

Dougald

Unfortunately I couldn't tell you as I'm across the pond.. several of the US gaffers here have owned Ninjas though

A very quick google shows a lot of reasonable looking bikes out there in your price range ($2000-2500) so I'm sure you could find something decent, just remember bikes normally have a lot less mileage on them than cars and to check everything over if you're buying private. It's a faired bike so scuffs on the plastics will quickly reveal if its been dropped, and always a good idea to check condition of chain/sprockets, brake pads, tyres, etc as these will add up, especially if you don't do your own maintenance.

Don't forget to leave some money over for gear and an MSF course or similar.

Buying a good second hand bike requires a fair bit of practice. Myself I've bought (quite an alarmingly) high number of used bikes, but I still miss faults sometimes. Therefore it would be wise to bring someone experienced with you when you are checking out a potential bike.

Things to look out for (in addition to Doug's points):

- oil leaks (if they are cleaned up, take the bike for a properly long test ride to warm it up and see if oil appears anywhere on the engine. Oil leaks mean changing gaskets which means a lot of work or money)
- really open it up (on an open stretch of highway) in the final gear, from a low rpm, if the clutch slips [more revs and no accelaration] that is another costly repair, between 2 and 500 $)
- prior to riding the bike, inform yourself of how many gears the bikes has, check if you can use all of them without the bike slipping out of gear
- does it sound/feel healthy accelerating through the rev range? If there are coughs/hiccups/irregularities it could mean the carbs are due for a checkup/refresh
- when riding at say 25 miles an hour, let go of the handlebars and see if it veers to the left or right (because it should not), if it does, this could indicate a potential misalignment somewhere, or worse: a crashed bike with either a bent frame, bent swing-arm or bent front forks, don't buy this bike whatever the owner says is causing it
-new front and rear tires can run you anywhere between 200 and 350 bucks, take that into account
- does the brake lever (and the bike) vibrate when you apply pressure to the brakes? Maybe the brake disc is worn out. (those are about 250 dollars, yup, per disc you high roller you)

Stuff that is harder to see

- shot critical engine bearings (crankshaft/big end)
- scored cylinder walls
- worn out piston rings

Not sure how you find out about issues like that without looking inside the engine, but needless to say, it is a lot less likely to occur in a bike that: does not issue great plumes of blue-ish smoke from the exhaust, is low mileage and has a complete service history. Complete service histories are - incredibly - rare for some reason, so a big plus whenever you find one that has it.

There's also a lot of bike (model) specific issues that you usually find on old message board posts by googling 'buyers guide ninja250r' or something like that.

Good luck :D

Dougald

Hopefully heading to Triumph & Ducati tomorrow if I don't have to work. Can't afford to replace my bike for a year or so but a man is allowed to dream..

Edit: annd just checked my tyres, both coming up on needing to be replaced. I could probably get another season out of them but I want to change for some touring tyres. Especially after a friend of mine dropped his street triple in the wet the other week. I don't need the performance from a sport tyre.

My rear tyre is up for renewal. But if I can get the deal on the new R1200R I might not have to worry.

Dougald, are you going to do some test rides?

Dougald

Just don't let it lapse if you do keep the bike! A 5mph drop doesn't hurt you but it did ruin his indicator, gear lever, bar end and mirror...

I will see what they've got, really I'm going with a friend who is thinking of buying a new bike. I'd like to try the Scrambler or a Monster if I can.

Just don't let it lapse if you do keep the bike! A 5mph drop doesn't hurt you but it did ruin his indicator, gear lever, bar end and mirror...

I will see what they've got, really I'm going with a friend who is thinking of buying a new bike. I'd like to try the Scrambler or a Monster if I can.

Keep us posted... my rule is to test ride them all as the dealer make enough money out of us in other ways.

Would be great to hear how you find the monster and scrambler

Had a quick blast on the scrambler today. Ducati are going to sell a truckload of these things. Perfect riding position for me at 5'7". Pulls like crazy! And brakes just as fast. Really easy to turn in with the wide high bars. Almost wished the bars were a bit more turned in at the ends.

rUlmQH7.jpg

Dougald

Hah I also just had a go on the Scrambler! The engine and handling are spot on, though if I were to complain I found the throttle a little snatchy. Great fun to ride in town though, everyone should try it, it corners so fantastically

Yes both throttle and brakes very snatchy/grabby but I expect that's partly getting used to them. Handling and ability to just drop it into corners is spot on. The acceleration is quite awesome - but I'm coming from a Grom and Harley so that's probably some of it.

Dougald

It's by no means a powerful bike, but neither is it underpowered. It's powerful enough for what it's designed for, town and country roads.

The last two days have been pretty exhausting emotionally at least as far as my bike goes. :p

Thursday night I started hearing what sounded like a knock or piston slap on my bike. Thought it was bad gas. Ran it dry and filled it up and no difference. Went to the dealership and was told "All HD's sound like that and it's normal" which I figured is what I would get from what most Harley call the stealership. Came home and realized that I was missing nut on my exhaust flange. Bought one to replace it but there is a specific torque sequence so I have to remove the other nut as well but it was torqued to hell and stripped til it was round. Had to go buy some grip tite sockets and was able to get it off pretty easily with those. Torqued both nuts down to spec, reinstalled my heat shield and I'm back in business!

I'm canceling my extended warranty though. If this is how it's going to be when I have an issue then fuck them. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and experienced when it comes to cars so I'll just learn my way around twin cams and I'll get refunded 1,700 bucks. CAM AND TRUE DUAL EXHAUST HERE I COME!

The last two days have been pretty exhausting emotionally at least as far as my bike goes. :p

Thursday night I started hearing what sounded like a knock or piston slap on my bike. Thought it was bad gas. Ran it dry and filled it up and no difference. Went to the dealership and was told "All HD's sound like that and it's normal" which I figured is what I would get from what most Harley call the stealership. Came home and realized that I was missing nut on my exhaust flange. Bought one to replace it but there is a specific torque sequence so I have to remove the other nut as well but it was torqued to hell and stripped til it was round. Had to go buy some grip tite sockets and was able to get it off pretty easily with those. Torqued both nuts down to spec, reinstalled my heat shield and I'm back in business!

I'm canceling my extended warranty though. If this is how it's going to be when I have an issue then fuck them. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and experienced when it comes to cars so I'll just learn my way around twin cams and I'll get refunded 1,700 bucks. CAM AND TRUE DUAL EXHAUST HERE I COME!

Ugh man :(

What some of those guys pass off as work... Depressing.

Btw, I think I'm ready to admit I'm not exactly blown away by the Scrambler's styling. Particularly those high handlebars and weak looking tank. Just not feeling it. Does it look any better IRL or?

Dougald

Btw, I think I'm ready to admit I'm not exactly blown away by the Scrambler's styling. Particularly those high handlebars and weak looking tank. Just not feeling it. Does it look any better IRL or?

If I'm honest, it looks great from afar. However yesterday my friend was back to back testing the scrambler and Bonneville, and the scrambler just feels.. cheap. Everything is plastic, and it just doesn't look the part in direct comparison. It rides a hell of a lot better, but those high bars were not particularly comfy. I feel like the Bonneville is a stylish, premium bike that needs more power, and the scrambler is a great handling but cheap Ducati.

After sleeping on it I think I would prefer to have that scramblers monster engine in an actual monster.

The scrambler looks great from a technical perspective but from what I've seen it just looks like it would be uncomfortable as hell for my body type.

If I'm honest, it looks great from afar. However yesterday my friend was back to back testing the scrambler and Bonneville, and the scrambler just feels.. cheap. Everything is plastic, and it just doesn't look the part in direct comparison. It rides a hell of a lot better, but those high bars were not particularly comfy. I feel like the Bonneville is a stylish, premium bike that needs more power, and the scrambler is a great handling but cheap Ducati.

After sleeping on it I think I would prefer to have that scramblers monster engine in an actual monster.

That is weird as in the photos it looks really nicely put together.... but then for 7500 pounds they have to skimp on some bits. But yes its going to sell loads.

How about the (sorta) new Monster S2R or the 'old' 796? That has to be the same engine basically. As a matter of fact, the S2R and 796 have got 12 more horsepower (87). In many ways I also kind of prefer the 796's handling to my own 1100s, though that could have something to do with the suspension setup. I should have a pro take a look at that sometime. That ohlins kit should do better than what the 796 came with after all...

Dougald

That is weird as in the photos it looks really nicely put together.... but then for 7500 pounds they have to skimp on some bits. But yes its going to sell loads.

My friend summed it up as the Bonneville just feels more "premium". The scrambler wins hands-down as a riding experience though, I could take corners effortlessly, and in the 0-60mph range it isn't even remotely lacking on power. They are going to sell shedloads, but for me at the moment, I think I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

I should also mention if you test ride anything at Ducati in Reading you have to pay a non-refundable £10 deposit.

How about the (sorta) new Monster S2R or the 'old' 796? That has to be the same engine basically. As a matter of fact, the S2R and 796 have got 12 more horsepower (87). In many ways I also kind of prefer the 796's handling to my own 1100s, though that could have something to do with the suspension setup. I should have a pro take a look at that sometime. That ohlins kit should do better than what the 796 came with after all...

That is definitely what I would go for. I'm not going to drop the Street Triple for a while yet though..

Couple pics from yesterday (898 is not mine unfortunately):

My friend summed it up as the Bonneville just feels more "premium". The scrambler wins hands-down as a riding experience though, I could take corners effortlessly, and in the 0-60mph range it isn't even remotely lacking on power. They are going to sell shedloads, but for me at the moment, I think I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

I should also mention if you test ride anything at Ducati in Reading you have to pay a non-refundable £10 deposit.

That is definitely what I would go for. I'm not going to drop the Street Triple for a while yet though..

Couple pics from yesterday (898 is not mine unfortunately):

Did you take it on the motorway?

It's by no means a powerful bike, but neither is it underpowered. It's powerful enough for what it's designed for, town and country roads.

I think a combination of the weight and gearing, plus what I am coming from, makes it feel plenty powerful enough at least up to mid 70s.

Dougald

I think a combination of the weight and gearing, plus what I am coming from, makes it feel plenty powerful enough at least up to mid 70s.

Speeding up at motorway speeds was a little sluggish, but nowhere near as pokey as the competition from other retro bikes (Bonneville I'm looking at you). The 0-70 Sprint coming into the motorway was perfectly fine

It's best on back roads, which is where you're going to have the most fun anyway. Turns on a penny.

Went to test ride the BMW R1200R sport on Sat and what a great bike. That new boxer engine has loads of poke and the riding is so comfortable. I am going to upload a small vid when I can get it fully edited.

I had a look at that F800R and man that is a good looking machine. They had the blue and the white one. Also for 80 pounds a month that is a damn good deal.

BnSCTHN.jpg

YmqofuH.jpg

0U4X5Rn.jpg

Dougald

That 800 looks great, though at almost the same price as a Street Triple, I'd still go for the Triumph. If you are going for finance though that is a very good payment, seems like a slam dunk if you're already in the BMW finance ecosystem

I was checking out the new Tigers in Triumph on Saturday, they are great looking bikes, but I still would rather have a GS. The Triumph triple is a fantastic engine, but there's just something about that boxer that makes it so fun. As Triumph have essentially copied the BMW styling, it really just comes down to which engine you want IMO.

the 800 isn't a boxer; it's a rotax p-twin mill. it sounds like a boxer at times, but it's vibey as hell over 4.5k rpm. the triple in the tiger is SO much smoother, although both pull about the same.

i'd take a street triple over the f800r every time. it's faster, smoother, has a way better gearbox and suspension (in the r model), and it's just a better all-around hooligan bike.

r1200r? it's fun and torquey as hell, but at that weight and price, there are MUCH better handling and performing bikes in the same general displacement class. you REALLY hafta love the boxer engine or the rondel logo to go for it. now, the rs...that's the one i'd go for. for the money, i'd get the s1000r instead, or a ducati monster 1200, or a diavel, or a gsx-f 1000, or YES a tuono v4r...

Top Bottom