• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

He just wants to be different than every other Gaffer.....

Booked my Street Triple in for a valve clearance check next week, got to get 2 new tyres put on after that, and a new textile jacket for good measure... the season has definitely started, thank god for my motorcycle savings account.

Ha. No haven't tried the Street Triple yet. But guess I should given the pretty overwhelming positive views on them. It's partly I like the style of the BMW, having something a bit different, and I don't need the sharpness of the Triumph. But I will go check them out. I probably don't need the R version - I'm not that good, and it's a little taller for my short legs.

Dougald

How tall are you? I'm 5'7" and can flat-foot the standard Triple, but not the R. I didn't have any real trouble riding the R, though.

I will say the one advantage on the R is those 4-pot brake calipers instead of the 2-pots on the standard. Not enough to make me regret not buying the R.

Evo X

Ha. No haven't tried the Street Triple yet. But guess I should given the pretty overwhelming positive views on them. It's partly I like the style of the BMW, having something a bit different, and I don't need the sharpness of the Triumph. But I will go check them out. I probably don't need the R version - I'm not that good, and it's a little taller for my short legs.

Trust me. You want the R version. It's barely any more expensive, but has way better brakes and suspension.

I love my Street Triple. Once you ride one, I'm positive you will too.

How tall are you? I'm 5'7" and can flat-foot the standard Triple, but not the R. I didn't have any real trouble riding the R, though.

I will say the one advantage on the R is those 4-pot brake calipers instead of the 2-pots on the standard. Not enough to make me regret not buying the R.
I'm 5'7" too. I have sat on the R in the shop and was manageable. Might go check them out at the weekend. Didn't realise the brakes were also upgraded - thought it was just the suspension.

Dougald

I'm 5'7" too. I have sat on the R in the shop and was manageable. Might go check them out at the weekend. Didn't realise the brakes were also upgraded - thought it was just the suspension.

Not sure where you live but if you're in the London area Jack Lilley Ashford are recommended, they have a very large stock of bikes.

I'm in Kent. Was just browsing Jack Lilley. We've been to their Romford store before and very helpful. I thought their other store was Ashford Kent but it's Ashford Middlesex. Not as convenient for us.

Another good place to go and view a large range of Triumphs. The guys are really great and very helpful. I also agree that you have to go and look at the Triumphs and take them out for a spin. Really great bikes and they also do good deals.

http://www.bulldogtriumph.com/

This is going to be way to far to drive for you.....

Dougald

do you use them for servicing?

They're doing my valve clearances (and spark plugs/air filter, because why not if I'm paying someone to remove the tank) next week. I generally do the basics myself now but they are pretty honest and used to do all the work on my Bonneville. Expensive but they are a main dealer.

Also if I take my bike there I get to take a demonstrator as a coertousy bike for the day, which is almost worth paying dealership prices.

I normally get my MOT done at a local guy very near to them, very honest and quick.

They're doing my valve clearances (and spark plugs/air filter, because why not if I'm paying someone to remove the tank) next week. I generally do the basics myself now but they are pretty honest and used to do all the work on my Bonneville. Expensive but they are a main dealer.

Also if I take my bike there I get to take a demonstrator as a coertousy bike for the day, which is almost worth paying dealership prices.

I normally get my MOT done at a local guy very near to them, very honest and quick.

nice man, getting a demo for the day helps allot.

Dougald, Bonny for you

MARIA’S STRIPPED-BACK BONNEVILLE (trial bike)

gfIb3lJ.jpg

FOQqZyZ.jpg

wHF3IdY.jpg

Welp. My exhaust leak still wasn't fixed. The nuts came loose again on my way home today. The position of the headers is cocked and keeping it from making good contact with the port so I said screw it. Its an excuse to change out the headers. So I order Vance and hines dresser duals for my bike and they get in Thursday.

I am taking Thursday off of work to install them. But for tomorrow and Tuesday I am... *sigh* taking my car. Its been over a year since I drove my car to work. :(

Tips for removing GoPro mounts

To apply GoPro adhesive mounts please follow these 3 steps:
- Apply the mount to a smooth, and fully cleaned surface. A textured surface or any imperfections to a smooth surface can keep the adhesive from making a strong bond.
- Firmly press the mount into place ensuring full contact over the entire surface area.
- Be sure to apply the mount at room temp, and also allow at least 24 hours for the mount to properly adhere to the surface.

NOTE:
To remove the adhesive mounts, you can use a hairdryer or heat gun to soften the adhesive and slowly peel it back.

Please note that you will not be able to reuse an adhesive mount once you remove it.

Dougald

I had one of their "Vario Touring" screens on both bikes. They have the variable section on the top, very good at redirecting airflow

Just received my new Textile jacket, RST Adventure II to replace my battered 4 year old Hein-Gericke jacket

It's nowhere near as good as a higher-end jacket from BMW, Rukka or the like, but a good compromise. I have the matching Trousers already and they are really great for all-season use. Huge vents in the summer and really warm in the winter.

I've got a BMW Neon Shell jacket and it has been superb over winter, except the neon parts are getting filthy, and it looks silly on the Harley.

Will be getting this Rev'it at some point

1yivHZj.jpg

I had one of their "Vario Touring" screens on both bikes. They have the variable section on the top, very good at redirecting airflow

Just received my new Textile jacket, RST Adventure II to replace my battered 4 year old Hein-Gericke jacket

It's nowhere near as good as a higher-end jacket from BMW, Rukka or the like, but a good compromise. I have the matching Trousers already and they are really great for all-season use. Huge vents in the summer and really warm in the winter.

That is a nice looking jacket. I got the cheaper buffalo jacket and been very happy with it. Damn man that leather jacket looks awesome.

the screen's a bit fuggo, but it gets the job done. i can go 100+ now without having my helmet tear my head off, although OBVIOUSLY i would never go that fast because it is ever so irresponsible

It's been raining as well as freezing (by night) here for a couple of days now. Which, sometimes, leaves the roads tantalizingly free of salt and then absolutely filthy with it again when there's even the slightest hint of frost.

Getting there...

Evo X

Damn this weather.

Usually, we'll have a random nice day or two during the season where I can take the bike out for a quick spin to keep it running right during the winter months. At least that's what I did with my Ducati the past couple of years. But this season has been so consistently brutal with the freezing temperatures and snow that I haven't had a chance to take the STR out for over 3 months

So today I tried to start it to at least let it run in the garage, but seems the battery is dead. Just heard a bunch of clicking noises, no ignition.

RIP little triple. You were so young with only 600 miles on you. ;_;

But seriously, what am I supposed to do? Is it possible to jump start it with a car or is there another option?

Also, is it better if I start it now to let it run while stationary or wait until the weather warms up in a month or so when I can actually ride it?

Dougald

Buy an Optimate, stick it on that to recharge/recondition, then just ride it. They're not super cheap, but it's better than buying a new battery every year or so.

Leave it on the Optimate when it's parked and your battery won't die in the cold/from lack of use again. My Wife still hasn't bought one, so I have to swap mine over to her bike every 2 days.. No dead batteries this winter!

Watevaman

First off, don't jump it with a car. I've heard bad things about the differences in power output and frying electronics or something. I don't know, I ain't no scientist.

I would throw the battery on a tender first. They're cheap, and good to have. They've got auto-storage settings that keep the battery charged without overcharging.

You could run it now, but to be honest, the bike isn't going to charge the battery up enough in just one ride, so it would be dead again in a month.

edit: If you do need a new battery, and have the money to spare, look into Shorai. I'm too cheap to buy one but I've heard great stuff about their weight and their power.

And yeah, I'm like Dougald. I have three batteries (2 bike, 1 mower) on my tenders right now. Keeps them charged throughout the winter when I'm not using them, and the vehicles start up perfect first time when the warm weather rolls around.

Evo X

Thanks guys. Just ordered a tender. Should have done so months ago.

Bike is still relatively new so hopefully the battery isn't too far gone to be saved.

If that doesn't work, then that Shorai replacement looks to be ~$150. Guess that's the price I pay for being unprepared.

Dougald

I'd love a Shorai, especially as the standard acid battery in the Street Triple is very small and dies pretty easily, so it would be a lot more battery in the same space

But again, I'm cheap. Yuasa and a tender it is. I found the easiest thing to do on the street triple is run the cable out under the seat and ziptie it to the frame under the seat. Looks a little ugly but it's hardly noticeable and easier than taking the seat off every time.

Flo_Evans

Yeah if your bike is going to sit for a few months a battery tender is pretty much a necessity.

I've jumped a bike with a car before but not really recommended. Car alternator throws out a lot of power and you can blow fuses and fuck up the ECU.

You could also roll it down a hill and pop start it, again dangerous and should really only be attempted in emergency stranded in the middle of nowhere situations... if the battery is super dead on a fuel injected bike this will not work.

Buy an Optimate, stick it on that to recharge/recondition, then just ride it. They're not super cheap, but it's better than buying a new battery every year or so.

Leave it on the Optimate when it's parked and your battery won't die in the cold/from lack of use again. My Wife still hasn't bought one, so I have to swap mine over to her bike every 2 days.. No dead batteries this winter!

Second that... optimate or CTek. They connect to the battery and you just plug in and forget. They also work with the BMW canbus system. Also the new models has a winter cycle to keep the battery in good condition during the cold days in the garage.

I've jumped my DR650 several times with my Honda Accord but when I tried to jump it with my parents Mitsubishi Montaro it blew the fuse in my battery tender adapter. We ended up having to remove the side panels, seat, and battery bracket to get at the battery directly.

So I guess the lesson here is don't jump start off a car/truck that's running. I forgot about that rule but was fortunately saved by the fuse.

Edit: Stumbled across a photo I took of my Dad's Harley when I borrowed it for a day-ride last summer and thought it was too good not to share.

Dq3gTIsh.jpg

Jump started my old 998 a couple times with my brothers Citroen Saxo back in the day. Was all good :D.

Man, that bike went flat if you left it sitting for more than an hour.

Waiting on fed ex to deliver my exhaust. I took today off so I could install it and tomorrow off so I could joy ride but it is 4 30 and it isn't here yet!!!

Luckily I removed everything last night from the old exhaust and so if it comes soon I can still finish it.

Waiting on fed ex to deliver my exhaust. I took today off so I could install it and tomorrow off so I could joy ride but it is 4 30 and it isn't here yet!!!

Luckily I removed everything last night from the old exhaust and so if it comes soon I can still finish it.

nice man, want to see some photos of the new exhaust.

Also, I am absolutely positive my neighbors hate me now.

All joking aside, I woke up to find my car with a flat this morning. When I get it off the car I wouldn't be surprised to find that its been slashed.

For two hours last night I was using a hammer and book to put my mufflers on and then after that I was chasing down exhaust leaks. Fuck 'em. It was only 8pm!

Top Bottom