• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

Ignore the fact that the pipes are the only shiny part right now. Its been non stop rain for a couple of weeks here so what's the point in washing? Haha. Below are two pics and a new exhaust video!

C'mon son, that whole damn thing is cleaner than the cleanest part of the rex. Looks good, though.

Only 2 more weeks until I'll have my bike back with me and hopefully all the snow/salt will be off the ground by then. Looking forward to another year of riding.

C'mon son, that whole damn thing is cleaner than the cleanest part of the rex. Looks good, though.

Only 2 more weeks until I'll have my bike back with me and hopefully all the snow/salt will be off the ground by then. Looking forward to another year of riding.
Haha I dont know why the pictures came out making her look so shiny, but there is oil, dirt and water stains on every inch that isn't the new exhaust heat shields. Thanks man.

Hope you're back on two wheels soon!

Sounds and looks awesome! And yeah that whole bike is cleaner than the cleanest part of my poor Harley. Wash day today. Maybe after a country spin if this weather holds out.

Edit: Stumbled across a photo I took of my Dad's Harley when I borrowed it for a day-ride last summer and thought it was too good not to share.

Dq3gTIsh.jpg
Damn that is gorgeous. I love the 2-1 exhausts.

Thanks guys! No tunnels around here but I was finding lots of routes through overpasses yesterday.

Dougald

Got mine cleaned up earlier today too, I figure that winter is almost done so I finally cleaned all the ACF-50 off that's been covering it since winter. Plus I was doing some DIY and accidentally coated it in MDF dust..

Off to Triumph tomorrow for valve clearances and new tyres after that.. then I am good till the MOT

Watevaman

Just ordered some stickers for the rear fender on the ZRX. Looking forward to doing a little decorating on there since I'm gonna be keeping it on (don't want to get the rear all dirty when riding in rain). Will post some pics whenever they come, which hopefully will coincide with me picking the bike up from my parents' house.

Dougald

Just rode the old style street triple (mine) and a 2014 back to back. The new one is just that little bit more refined in terms of handling, feels nicer. Godawful mirrors though, might as well not have any.

Dougald

There's so little in it really I think it all comes down to which style you prefer. I prefer the underseat exhaust but it gets so hot in the summer. The clutch bite point is higher on the modern bike and first gear is taller, but considering I never felt like first gear was too short on mine, these are relatively minor.

I don't see how anyone could live with those horrible stock mirrors though.

Evo X

The biggest change I noticed when I rode the older street triple and the new one was the sweet intake snarl on the 2014.

And LOL if you think those mirrors are terrible, do not attempt to ride a Ducati sportsbike. The ones on my 848 Evo vibrated so bad I could not see shit through them.

Dougald

Didn't notice any audible difference to be honest, the intake is pretty loud on mine as-is

But then I was filtering & in rush hour traffic, didn't really get over 50mph..

Dougald

Left it there for the day, needs to cooldown for valve clearances anyway and I'm not waiting for that much labour. Going to change the oil myself this weekend..

RGvS4OP.png

Here's the loaner squeezed into the garage with my other crap. I wish I had something the size of Drinky Crows...

Still, be glad you have a garage at all :D. I need to worry about other people knocking over my bikes.

There's an old lady who has her spot next to mine whose car is banged up like you wouldn't believe. It is worrisome.

Dougald

I didn't when I first got my license, I used to box it in the corner between my car and my wifes.. don't miss that

Having any sort of garage in Europe is a real luxury these days.

So hot! Is that the 883 or 1200? And how well does it cruise on the freeway?

It's the 883 Iron. Goes along the motorway (I'm in England :p) just fine at 65-70mph. It gets a bit of wind blast sure but that's just the style. I'll probably go for a small screen or headlamp visor at some point to push the worst of it out of the way.

Dougald

£295 lighter now, valves were to spec (as expected really, the triple engine is pretty bulletproof). New air filter, sparks and balanced throttle bodies too so now all I really have to do is change fluids and get some new tyres on.

Dougald

Par with main dealer pricing really. Won't be taking it back in there until the valve clearances need doing again though, everything else is so easy to do, especially on a Naked.

How was the ride on the loan bike and do you feel a difference now that the throttle bodies are balanced? On my old BMW gs it made a big difference but then it was very long overdue.

Dougald

How was the ride on the loan bike and do you feel a difference now that the throttle bodies are balanced? On my old BMW gs it made a big difference but then it was very long overdue.

Didn't make a huge difference as they were pretty good already, but now it is spot-on. Didn't charge me for it actually, just more of a "while they had it hooked up to the computer" type-deal. Saves me hooking it up to tuneecu.

The loan STR is pretty much the same as mine, though I do find that the experience on the "bug-eye" bike is a little different as I'm pretty sure the clocks are lower down. Unfortunately I was working yesterday so didn't get more than a 4-mile each way test ride. Quite happy to have the "same" bike as I had to filter/lane-split the whole way there and back due to roadworks.

Time to order some tyres today... currently have BT-016 sports tyres on the Street and I think I am going to change for some touring-focused BT-023s. Should last longer and perform better in the wet, and I doubt I ride enough to need the sport boost the 16s give.

Dougald

I was umming about getting some Pilot Road 3s, but I have had such great experience with the 23s on my previous bikes I decided to stick with what I know. Plus I just called my tyre guy and he has the Bridgestones in stock so sold, will go out today.

Actually I ran Avon Storms on the ST1100 and while being "cheaper" than the other brands they were pretty damn good.

Agreed, if they work well with your bike, there's little reason to risk something else. Still, if you're ever in the mood for something else, that's the brand I'd recommend.

Watevaman

Pretty much everyone in the motorcycle club at my college runs some number Pilot Road and they love them. I would've thrown some on the rex if they were available in a 170 rear, but I couldn't find one in that size, so I went with regular Powers.

Dougald

Fantastic, I finally have tyres that aren't square!

they were actually square when I got them, though I'll probably square these off too

Feels good, but it's also why it kinda sucks to have such nice new tires. Always makes me kinda anxious on extended highway drives that I'm just gonna square them off again :p.

In any case, Doug, you've inspired me to contact my Buell guy for a new rear tire for the M2. I'm done with that ancient, rock hard Pirelli thing that's on there now. Not a very sexy tire either.

Made the deal and took delivery yesterday

DaqUmLz.jpg

I am impressed with how easy its to ride and how much fun it is. I will have to sort out some hand grips and a Akro can at a later stage. I am also looking at pastic wrap for the tank area to prevent some scratches.

It should come with velcro hand grips as the torque punch is instant.

Congrats, that's a great looking boxer, Max! Love that red trellis frame.

Did you take a bath on the trade-in, or did they make you a fair offer?

Congrats, that's a great looking boxer, Max! Love that red trellis frame.

Did you take a bath on the trade-in, or did they make you a fair offer?

They cleared my finance and I managed to get a great rate (Paying less). Very happy. The quick shift pro is super smooth with the up and down shifts. Also its the first boxer I rode that it feels like they have put oil in the gearbox haha. No clunky shifts. The ride by wire is also very responsive.

DaqUmLz.jpg

I am impressed with how easy its to ride and how much fun it is. I will have to sort out some hand grips and a Akro can at a later stage. I am also looking at pastic wrap for the tank area to prevent some scratches.

Very nice. Congrats on the new bike.

Dougald

DaqUmLz.jpg

Lovely, lovely bike. I do like that colour scheme too! I am really coming around to the idea of a boxer engine in my next bike too.

Plastic wrap is a good idea, mine has a fair few scratches on the side from previous owners knees

Cheer guys for the grats on the new bike. I rode in again this morning and its just so comfortable and easy to get around the traffic. Must sort out the gps bracket so I can get lost a bit over the coming weekends.

if they sorted out the gearbox in the non-rt boxer bikes -- and it sounds like they did -- then i'm also interested in them again (despite being on a household bike purchasing moratorium until the end of 2016, <sob>)

Haha, I hear that. Got into a bit of an argument with my girlfriend when I presented her with my plans of trading in the M2 towards a nearly new 1125CR.

Top Bottom