• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Fixed1979

Made the deal and took delivery yesterday

I am impressed with how easy its to ride and how much fun it is. I will have to sort out some hand grips and a Akro can at a later stage. I am also looking at pastic wrap for the tank area to prevent some scratches.

It should come with velcro hand grips as the torque punch is instant.

Congrats on the new bike!

I'm starting to get a bit of an itch to get out but we're still in the dead of winter here. I was even contemplating flying somewhere and renting a bike for a weekend just to get out, though that seems like an incredible amount of work.

For the Street owners here, does anyone have the heated grips? I was thinking about getting them for this spring but I'm not sure if they would really help as my hands would still be exposed to the cold wind...

Dougald

For the Street owners here, does anyone have the heated grips? I was thinking about getting them for this spring but I'm not sure if they would really help as my hands would still be exposed to the cold wind...

I've considered it but I've had heated grips before and they're nowhere near good as heated undergloves! Plus when you sell the street you don't have to buy grips again.

MRSA

Banned
So I've been comptemplating trading my Daytona for a Bonneville, I'm old and sometimes looking at my bike makes my back hurts.

Anybody here own one? Its that or a Speed Triple.

took my tuono in for the 600 mile service and got a 2015 super duke r as a loaner for the day.

HOLY TORQUEBALLZ. this bike really roars and pours, as it were, but it also felt kinda flimsy? cheap? i mean, it's $3k MORE than my tuono, but it felt, i dunno, less substantial and didn't handle quite as well. mighta been the soft suspension settings and the tires, but it didn't feel as slick or telepathic in the handling department as a street/speed triple or a tuono. the fueling wasn't bad -- the ride-by-wire throttle was only a little notchy when rolled off quickly -- but it didn't feel NEARLY as well sorted as my tuono or the triples. everything kinda felt like there was a little delay.

man, though, that front wheel comes up with some AWESOME drama. i about shat my textiles. :-(

Dougald

So I've been comptemplating trading my Daytona for a Bonneville, I'm old and sometimes looking at my bike makes my back hurts.

Anybody here own one? Its that or a Speed Triple.

Had one for 3 years. They are really comfortable and handle well, but they certainly aren't fast. Brakes are like tin cans too, I would have put a 4-pot caliper on mine if I kept it longer. I loved the thing to bits though.

Go give it a try, they encourage you to ride in a much more relaxing way than most bikes.

Can see summer is with you guys.. here its still 1 deg in the mornings but at least the sun is out.

It may still be cold in the mornings but that won't stop me heading out for the first decent run of the year on Saturday! As long as there's a bacon sandwich at some point I don't mind getting a bit chilly.

Evo X

Looks like I will finally be able to take the bike out of hibernation next week. Weather forecast says we will get a few days ~50F.

I have 2 stage heated grips on my Street. My previous bike didn't. They definitely make a difference. My hands stay completely warm. I wear some heavy duty Dainese race gauntlets that have pretty good wind protection though.

took my tuono in for the 600 mile service and got a 2015 super duke r as a loaner for the day.

HOLY TORQUEBALLZ. this bike really roars and pours, as it were, but it also felt kinda flimsy? cheap? i mean, it's $3k MORE than my tuono, but it felt, i dunno, less substantial and didn't handle quite as well. mighta been the soft suspension settings and the tires, but it didn't feel as slick or telepathic in the handling department as a street/speed triple or a tuono. the fueling wasn't bad -- the ride-by-wire throttle was only a little notchy when rolled off quickly -- but it didn't feel NEARLY as well sorted as my tuono or the triples. everything kinda felt like there was a little delay.

man, though, that front wheel comes up with some AWESOME drama. i about shat my textiles. :-(

lol, yes. The Super Duke R is insanity. I couldn't keep the wheel down when I took it out on an extended ride. I agree with your statements. It didn't feel particularly solid in terms of response compared to the other bikes you listed.

But, it was probably the torqueiest fucking thing I've ever ridden. I enjoyed hooning around in it, but I wouldn't buy one.

Fixed1979

I have 2 stage heated grips on my Street. My previous bike didn't. They definitely make a difference. My hands stay completely warm. I wear some heavy duty Dainese race gauntlets that have pretty good wind protection though.

Are they the Triumph grips? I'm a little torn between heated grips and gloves, I just don't want to have to deal with setting anything up right now...

Evo X

Are they the Triumph grips? I'm a little torn between heated grips and gloves, I just don't want to have to deal with setting anything up right now...

Yeah, Triumph grips. $230 I believe. The dealer mounted them on the bike along with the quickshifter, so I have no idea how much of a hassle it is to do the install yourself.

I've never used heated gloves before so I have nothing to compare it to.

I mean, it's just a nice thing to have on chilly evenings and help a bit riding later into Fall and earlier in the Spring. Not a must have feature or anything. If they weren't already on the bike when I bought it, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

the triumph heated grips are great and don't add any bulk or extraneous cabling. i have them on the tiger and they are a HUGE help in the cold months. have the dealer install them -- it's an hour labor, tops, maybe less.

Did a Reading to Maidenhead motorway trip this morning and its all fun upto about 85mph. Then the wind blast does get a bit much for me. But then I dont weight anything. I am so far very happy with the bike. Fun to ride but something to get use too is the non telelever front suspension.

Dougald

Grips/Gloves both have their pros and cons

Gloves are better for the real cold weather than grips in my experience, and don't require any wiring in beyond routing a connection for the battery somewhere

Grips are way more convenient, especially if you're out somewhere and it starts to get a little chilly, but you have to declare them on insurance (at least here where even a sticker probably counts as a modification)

In an ideal world I'd have both.

Did a Reading to Maidenhead motorway trip this morning and its all fun upto about 85mph. Then the wind blast does get a bit much for me. But then I dont weight anything. I am so far very happy with the bike. Fun to ride but something to get use too is the non telelever front suspension.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the bike. That is one boring stretch of road, and quite exposed, not the best for a Naked bike, I have the same problem on my Street Triple when I do any prolonged motorway run. At least it keeps you awake.

iZcELAZ.png

Looking good for the weekend (at least Saturday) here too!

I'm planning on choosing my next bike to be something good for 2-up riding (in the next couple months most likely).

In terms of features, I'm thinking what's important would be comfortable seats, maybe ability to take some luggage, enough power, perhaps ABS? Anything I'm overlooking?

Flo_Evans

I'm planning on choosing my next bike to be something good for 2-up riding (in the next couple months most likely).

In terms of features, I'm thinking what's important would be comfortable seats, maybe ability to take some luggage, enough power, perhaps ABS? Anything I'm overlooking?

Look for easily adjustable rear suspension. I also think shaft drive makes allot of sense if you plan on having a passenger most of the time.

Fixed1979

Thanks for the advise on the heated grips/gloves. Going to take the weekend to think about it but I'm leaning towards just taking a chance on the grips, it'll be a pain in the ass to install but once it's done it's done...

MRSA

Banned
Had one for 3 years. They are really comfortable and handle well, but they certainly aren't fast. Brakes are like tin cans too, I would have put a 4-pot caliper on mine if I kept it longer. I loved the thing to bits though.

Go give it a try, they encourage you to ride in a much more relaxing way than most bikes.

Sounds like my kinda style nowadays, I want something to cruise around lazily, it's probably why I didn't enjoy my D675 as much as I did my SV650.

Another option would be to convert my D675 into a street fighter ala Street Triple R.

Thanks for the advise on the heated grips/gloves. Going to take the weekend to think about it but I'm leaning towards just taking a chance on the grips, it'll be a pain in the ass to install but once it's done it's done...

I think bikes should all come standard with the stuff especially here in the UK as its more cooler than really hot. All cars come with heaters so all bikes should have heated grips lol.

I was also looking at heated clothing over the winter months and I just no its going to drive me nuts to have to plug in and plug out. I can see me getting of the bike and breaking something with me walking away from the bike and I am still plugged in.

Keiss does a battery heated vest that looks good but all the really nice stuff runs from the battery. You also need to make sure you battery and alternator can handle the extra poll of the grips or gloves.

Dougald

Keiss does a battery heated vest that looks good but all the really nice stuff runs from the battery. You also need to make sure you battery and alternator can handle the extra poll of the grips or gloves.

I have this, and the Keis undergloves

I've actually powered them several times from the 12v port of a portable battery pack before, when I couldn't be bothered to plug into the bike! The vest is TOASTY.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Coldest you ever ridden in?
For me it was 26ish, way lower with wind chill, wearing summer gear. Why? Because midterm stress.
With snow, around 30ish in Feb. Again, midterms. I was just chillin' going slow.

Dougald

Hmm, probably about -5C (so low 20s) with ~70mph wind chill. Full winter gear, heated gloves, heated vest, handlebar muffs. Still got frozen after about 40 minutes. I've never ridden in the snow, not least because it's so rare here that even driving a car is dangerous enough with the road conditions + other drivers.

I'm happy enough riding in anything over 5C/40F without heated gear.

I have this, and the Keis undergloves

I've actually powered them several times from the 12v port of a portable battery pack before, when I couldn't be bothered to plug into the bike! The vest is TOASTY.

Do you have the link for that vest. I have a down body warmer that I wear under my jacket with the lining but it would be nice to have something a bit thinner under my jacket.

Now you're asking... it doesn't say anywhere on the vest. I think it was the X20 as mine has the heated glove sockets inside too (so you can power everything from one cable)

Does it have a collar? as the x20 is the only one that has the collar and it also heats up the neck?

Watevaman

For me it was 26ish, way lower with wind chill, wearing summer gear. Why? Because midterm stress.
With snow, around 30ish in Feb. Again, midterms. I was just chillin' going slow.

18F to work in summer gear. I was very lucky we ended up having a slow morning at work, because I couldn't feel my hands for a good few hours. I don't think I would do something like that ever again.

1F out right now...hard to believe it will reach into the 50s this coming week. I'll finally be spending some time outside in the garage getting things back together :)

Anyone here ride with a gopro on there helmets? Where do you mount it and how do you start and stop the recording? I am keen to start having it on for every ride as I might get some nice shots.

Flo_Evans

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14982456&postcount=231

Worst conditions. I think it has been colder but never this icy/snowy.

Anyone here ride with a gopro on there helmets? Where do you mount it and how do you start and stop the recording? I am keen to start having it on for every ride as I might get some nice shots.

I used to do side mount, just reach up and turn it on. I switched it over to top mount (cause it seems like thats where most motocrossers put it :p) its a bit of a stretch but still easy to reach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTkB8xHWvME < video of last years 1st ride.

Watevaman

I'm concerned about the lack of sound. Already have enough trouble getting noticed by people in cars and SUVs.

You're not gonna be noticed anyway unless you're right next to a car (which is bad positioning) or in front of them. That is, unless you're somehow running a pipe that's exiting forward. I really don't buy the "loud pipes save lives" thing and that's with both my GS500 and ZRX having some pretty loud exhausts.

As to the EV question, a guy in the club at school has a Brammo Empulse R and while he likes the way it rides, he doesn't like having to plan his trips so that the batteries last long enough. It's a crazy looking bike, though, and it's insane that he can do a burnout and the only thing you hear is the chain spinning and not much else.

Lets just say they should at least be a teensy tiny bit more likely to hear my bike :p

And hell yeah, spring is definitely here! Went for awesome ride today after my rear tire was replaced. Riding a bike during the first days of spring is such bliss.

So after I installed my exhaust last weekend I was haunted day and night by the fact that the pipes were crooked. I mean, I did install them in the dark. So today I took everything off and installed again. They are still the teensiest bit crooked but not enough to make me care.

And since today was the first day without rain in like two weeks without rain I gave her a quick dry bath...
C3Jj78i.jpg

Time for a ride since the rain is supposed to start up again tomorrow!

Top Bottom