• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Got the TomTom 400 yesterday and mounted it at least, but need to figure out how to wire it in.

DLfRbAB.jpg

Dougald

Annnd bought. Picking up the SV next week. :D

Gotta find an OEM exhaust though, it's way too loud.

Looks lovely, congrats! Buying a bike and wanting to fit the quieter, OEM exhaust? We are a rare breed, you and I...

So I know a lot of you guys do basic maintenance on your bikes. Oil changes and the such. If I wanted to learn that plus fixing random problems here or there would a service manual be the best route? I'm 100% going to pick up a harley next month and since learning to work on my Guzzi is near impossible I figured it would be a good bike to start on. I have access to a lot of tools since my dad restores cars so I'd pretty much only be going out of pocket for a bike lift.

Do you have Haynes manuals in the States? I've had one for every bike I've ever owned, they are indispensable for maintenance, even if some of their suggestions are a bit anal.

Got the TomTom 400 yesterday and mounted it at least, but need to figure out how to wire it in.

DLfRbAB.jpg

that is a good looking GPS.... I think old TomTom is slowly taking over. They are really good with the road stuff and now to get into the biking site is a good move.

I have been using the Tomtom app on my iPhone and its just awesome. A year old Garmin that I got from my dad still need map updates that I have to pay for. That is bulltwang

Enjoy

I was due to sit CBT tomorrow but had to cancel as my work are very short staffed (My dad is my boss).

homersimsponwaiting.gif.

Damn.... good luck for the next time. I would just like to get it out the way as quick as possible. I learn one way. Get it all in my head and then do the test. Then forget most of it lol

In the pipeline for end of this year to middle of next year.

Looks like 3 models and the price is going to be much lower for the entry model. Based on the air-cooled engine. Also loads of custom bits and bobs. Might even compete with the Ducati scrambler price

IhZm9QH.jpg

Watevaman

Looks sexy as hell. I'd personally probably throw a windshield on it and maybe some higher bars and then just putt around on some trails.

I assume that's a concept or render of some sort. If it looks like that in real life and is in that Scrambler price bracket then holy schmoly.

My new TomTom has a cool "Thrill" feature. Hit that, put in a couple of waypoints, and it'll do a circuit hitting the waypoints and you can pick from straight, windy, very windy roads. Might go for a blast later to test it out.

My Harley seems smoother now (thank goodness). Did 80 mile trip Tuesday and back Wednesday and it was far better than when I picked it up from the shop. I was a bit overoptimistic taking my thermal liner out of my jacket though. Brrrr!

I'm going to replace the slip-on exhaust with an OEM muffler, but apparently the slip-on meant you had to cut the mid-pipe.

Can I just put the OEM muffler back on and use some type of coupler or bracket to reconnect it to the mid-pipe? Or do I need the full OEM exhaust?

Can't imagine there being any actual cutting involved. Sometimes the after market exhaust does come with a new linkpipe that eliminates a part that used to house some kind of exhaust valve for instance. In that case you would have to scrounge up both muffler and original piece of tubing. But it's hard to say what is required in your situation.

Might have to just suck it up and live with the fact your bike is going to continue to sound more awesome than stock.

Can't imagine there being any actual cutting involved. Sometimes the after market exhaust does come with a new linkpipe that eliminates a part that used to house some kind of exhaust valve for instance. In that case you would have to scrounge up both muffler and original piece of tubing. But it's hard to say what is required in your situation.

Might have to just suck it up and live with the fact your bike is going to continue to sound more awesome than stock.

:lol

I mean, the sound is good. But I would have to wear earplugs every time I go riding, and it gets way more attention from the cops. :p

Watevaman

:lol

I mean, the sound is good. But I would have to wear earplugs every time I go riding, and it gets way more attention from the cops. :p

I wear earplugs on any ride that goes outside of town and the ZRX isn't even that loud, that's just good if you want to keep your hearing.

I mean, it's your bike, but think of the children.

Yeah, I admit, it can be a problem. For instance, I don't think I can use any of my three bikes to attend the GP event at Assen this year. All of them are too loud and the one that might not be doesn't have any indicators at the back and misses one mirror. (Not that much of an issue normally, but with the Assen TT, cops are going to be out in full force to write as much tickets as they possibly can).

Looks like we're going by car again.

Dougald

Call me boring but my neighbours can't moan at me and the police can't pull me for it. I wear earplugs if I'm going on the motorway for a long period of time though, that wind blast really starts to drain your will to live.

Still won't stop the Green Party here calling for the abolition of large cc motorcycles through "discouraging" their use, though. A policy that I am 99% sure is due to them being a bunch of NIMBYs who don't like anything louder than a bumblebee.

I assume that's a concept or render of some sort. If it looks like that in real life and is in that Scrambler price bracket then holy schmoly.

My new TomTom has a cool "Thrill" feature. Hit that, put in a couple of waypoints, and it'll do a circuit hitting the waypoints and you can pick from straight, windy, very windy roads. Might go for a blast later to test it out.

My Harley seems smoother now (thank goodness). Did 80 mile trip Tuesday and back Wednesday and it was far better than when I picked it up from the shop. I was a bit overoptimistic taking my thermal liner out of my jacket though. Brrrr!

Yes that is a render... but as you can see the cheaper shocks and the basic-ness (if that's a word) can maybe get the price down. It would be great to get a base model and then add stuff to what you like it to look like.

My R1200R and S1000R is just over 10 grand (10200 OTR) so they can easily get to under that.

Call me boring but my neighbours can't moan at me and the police can't pull me for it. I wear earplugs if I'm going on the motorway for a long period of time though, that wind blast really starts to drain your will to live.

Still won't stop the Green Party here calling for the abolition of large cc motorcycles through "discouraging" their use, though. A policy that I am 99% sure is due to them being a bunch of NIMBYs who don't like anything louder than a bumblebee.

Hahahah the Green Party...

I am going through the Theory test just now (Been so long since I did it for my car (13 years!) and it says to wear earplugs on long journeys to avoid fatigue caused by the noise

haha, I would like them to come in between 8500 and 10000 for the top range model. Retro, basic and back to basic's is the word of the year at the moment.

This is my bike that got me hooked on the BMW bikes... my dad should not have sold it as they are going for really good money and they just ride awesome.

Cqri7x3.jpg

That sounds awesome! I've never been interested in a TomTom but I am now

Farkles have begun.

I ordered some shorty levers for the SV, chinese but cheapish ($40). I had a pair on my Ninja and they were great. I ordered silver/silver, as that way the (cheap) paint won't fade in the sun.

Will have to see if I need new swingarm spools. Might also grab some frame sliders, not sure.

Jackson

Doing a 300 mile (480km) round trip tomorrow around our bay. Stoked! :) Might be a bit cold, but full leathers will help with that.

Flo_Evans

Doing a 300 mile (480km) round trip tomorrow around our bay. Stoked! :) Might be a bit cold, but full leathers will help with that.

Man that sounds nice. Going up by the sequoias? Drove my rental car up there once and was like fuck I should have rented a bike. Weather here has been amazing. Going to have to ride this weekend for sure.

edit: what bike are you taking? Get some gopro footage for us. :)

UMGAWA

I'm going to replace the slip-on exhaust with an OEM muffler, but apparently the slip-on meant you had to cut the mid-pipe.

Can I just put the OEM muffler back on and use some type of coupler or bracket to reconnect it to the mid-pipe? Or do I need the full OEM exhaust?

Yep, on the SV its a cut off job.

You can buy a baffle for your two brothers exhaust, it'll be a tonne easier to place than re welding or purchasing the 40 gallon drum they call a OEM exhaust.

http://www.twobros.com/soundsuppression/sparksoundarrest

Dougald

Wow, is the tiger 800 really 2 grand more than a Street Triple?

I would still have the 800 over a smaller GS, though I think the big GS *just* edges out the explorer for me. I have ridden the 800 and it is a great bike for commuting/long rides, very smooth power delivery, tall, and easy to filter with despite its height. It's also lightweight enough that a short bloke like me could back it down his steep driveway without dropping it, which is a plus.

Flo_Evans

Anyone else going for a ride this weekend? Take some videos and pics please (Jackson)... :) I am riding the 1200GS out to nowheresville mo.

Here was a a ride 4 years ago where we introduced our buddy to DUAL SPORT. Now he works for Triumph.

https://vimeo.com/21296420

Skip to 2:30 for the regional sales manager of triumph USA almost losing his DRZ400 in the river... :p

Anyone else going for a ride this weekend? Take some videos and pics please (Jackson)... :) I am riding the 1200GS out to nowheresville mo.

Here was a a ride 4 years ago where we introduced our buddy to DUAL SPORT. Now he works for Triumph.

Skip to 2:30 for the regional sales manager of triumph USA almost losing his DRZ400 in the river... :p
I think I'll be riding to the beach tomorrow morning.

Nice vid thanks for sharing... looks like fun

Flo_Evans

Nice vid thanks for sharing... looks like fun

yeah my Bro shot that when he got his 800GS... if you look I am the dude that hands him a strap to tie to the DRZ400 :) Just riding my G650X, that I now realize I have had since '07.

I thought that thing was pretty sweet for dual sport IDK why he ended up selling it.

To buy other bikes I guess.

He currently has a 1200GS (in my garage hehe taking it out this weekend) a husqvarna 510, and an old R90 in parts somewhere else.

senahorse

Went to go for a ride to our favourite forest this morning, after a record rainfall (for the month) yesterday, we thought conditions would be great (mud is fun :D) and then came across this:

closed_zpsexppqape.jpg~original

on closer inspection:

gm_zpsamm4jcoq.jpg~original

last_zpsk6xpilbq.jpg~original

And this is how it is when it's dry:

googlemap_zpsuhdp2pja.png~original

Jackson

jGS9Too.jpg

eotXNx5.jpg

Was an epic trip up the scenic highway 101. What a great highway. Great sweeping high speed turns and lots of technical tight turns along the coastline of the puget sound.

Started in the capital city, Olympia. Then took the ferry back to avoid rush hour traffic.

My buddy will upload his gopro vid this weekend.

Evo X

Sounds like a fun ride Jackson!

Both bikes look super hot. Have you two swapped at all to feel the differences between the them?

Jackson

Sounds like a fun ride Jackson!

Both bikes look super hot. Have you two swapped at all to feel the differences between the them?

Ya I've ridden the 675R around a bunch. It's a very managable bike. The ergo is kinda weird. It sits very different from other superbikes. Very far forward. Its kinda uncomfortable. Also It's not super quick, but it handles very well. It's a great middleweight track/canyon attack bike, but a bad commuter. The 899 is was more comfy. I was gonna get a 675R before I demo'd the 899. The Panigale felt more raw and visceral and a bit more scary, so I chose that. You got a duc, you know how it is. :p

Evo X

Ya I've ridden the 675R around a bunch. It's a very managable bike. The ergo is kinda weird. It sits very different from other superbikes. Very far forward. Its kinda uncomfortable. Also It's not super quick, but it handles very well. It's a great middleweight track/canyon attack bike, but a bad commuter. The 899 is was more comfy. I was gonna get a 675R before I demo'd the 899. The Panigale felt more raw and visceral and a bit more scary, so I chose that. You got a duc, you know how it is. :p

Haha, yep!

I was actually going to buy a 675R too before I got my 848 Evo.

The 675R had very light and nimble handling along with a smooth motor that loves to redline. In terms of ergos, the best way I can describe it is that I felt like I was sitting "on top" of the bike on the Triumph vs "being inside" of the 848 like we were both a single machine.

I enjoyed the theatrics of the Ducati more as well. The exhaust popping on decel never fails to put a smile on my face. :D

Top Bottom