• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Jackson

Any time really!

Friend sent me the trip he tracked

l3DOuoM.jpg

This place is so epic for cars/bikes

senahorse

Going on a small two day trip in a couple of weeks and was considering some form of security for our bikes. There will be a couple of times we will be away from the bikes for quite a while and although I am not anticipating us being in high crime areas I would like some peace of mind. The problem with our dual sports is they could easily be thrown in the back of truck and so I was hoping for some form of deterrent. I have been looking at disc alarms but a lot of them (especially the xenas) seem to go off easily and I would rather not have an alarm going off for no reason at crazy hours of the morning. Has anyone had good experiences with any particular disc alarms/locks? I don't really have the time to wire up any full blown immobilisers etc so was just looking for something easy to throw on.

Dougald

I hate alarms and alarmed disc locks and have come to the conclusion that the best security is good insurance

That said when I last did a trip we took a couple of heavy duty chains and locked our bikes together. Hard to stick them on a truck like that.

I hate alarms and alarmed disc locks and have come to the conclusion that the best security is good insurance

That said when I last did a trip we took a couple of heavy duty chains and locked our bikes together. Hard to stick them on a truck like that.
I agree. Ignition locked, forks locked and chain it. If someone wants it they will take it and an alarm isn't going to do much to dissuade them.

Dougald

^lol, I would say that's unsurprising because they all do, but for some reason I keep buying them now and then, normally for some ludicrous amount at petrol stations

I agree. Ignition locked, forks locked and chain it. If someone wants it they will take it and an alarm isn't going to do much to dissuade them.

I did the whole alarm thing but it was far more of an inconvenience to me than anyone trying to steal it. What put it over the edge for me was seeing videos of thieves who just pick the bike up, chuck it in the back of a soundproof van and drive off.

If I'm parking in town sometimes I'll use a normal disc lock + reminder cable, but that's more about making my bike look less enticing than the one next to it.

I did the whole alarm thing but it was far more of an inconvenience to me than anyone trying to steal it. What put it over the edge for me was seeing videos of thieves who just pick the bike up, chuck it in the back of a soundproof van and drive off.

If I'm parking in town sometimes I'll use a normal disc lock + reminder cable, but that's more about making my bike look less enticing than the one next to it.
Yep. My first bike had an alarm, but I dont plan on doing it again. You can deter an opportunistic thief with basic security - as in they can't just hop on and ride off. But if someone has set their eyes on your bike there isn't much you can do except inconvenience them a small bit.

Evo X

Since everybody's posting up pics, figured I'd join in.

Gave the STR it's first hand wash of the season so it's sparkling clean!

VdXN1Mq.jpg

Evo X

that colours looks great and you did a awesome job cleaning

Thanks!

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning. Got into all the nooks and crannies and wiped down every single part I could get my hands on.

When the weather is nice out, I find it very satisfying and almost meditative giving my vehicles some personal attention. Sure, you can pay someone else to wash them, but no one else will take care of your things the way you do!

Just got home from the Deus 2015 bike build off. The entire event was a great time. From what I counted there were 35 people that entered. I took a ton of pictures but I'll just post my favorites.

Originally started off as a Puch I believe? This was built by a 13 year old. Pretty insane.

I didn't get the model this started off as but I'd love to have this just to drive it around my neighborhood.

Honda CB1100 turned into a tracker. I should have gotten a picture of the pipes but man they sounded really nice.

And easily my favorite of the day was this amazing BMW.

The wooden seat is obviously not really road worthy but man that paint job is awesome.

Oh yeah someone with my dream bike parked right next to me. Had to get a picture.

So I put 200 miles on the the Tiger already. I'm almost ready to call it the perfect motorcycle. I test rode a 2014 XC before I rode the 2015 XCx (that I eventually bought) and it was night and day. The suspension, the throttle map, the cruise control, the VERSATILITY. I took it through the mountains with the wife and it's just a peach in the corners. Mind you, the last time I rode those roads I was on an STR, and it still felt AMAZING. On startup it sounds so much like the STR, with just a touch more bass. I drove through a gravel parking lot on purpose. I'm rambling. I love this bike.

Damaged

Seeing as we are all posting nice bike pictures. It's not my bike but one we just got back into work after sending it for a custom paint job :D

Still waiting for the 1100 tuono to arrive for my test ride :'(

Dougald

No new pics from me I'm afraid, was working the whole long weekend. Trudged out in the rain this morning to take the Street for its MOT, safe for another year (the bloke actually said it was well looked after, hah)

My local Harley officially opens on Saturday so I might try and get down to check it out

No new pics from me I'm afraid, was working the whole long weekend. Trudged out in the rain this morning to take the Street for its MOT, safe for another year (the bloke actually said it was well looked after, hah)

Nice, well done :)

My local Harley officially opens on Saturday so I might try and get down to check it out

In their current line-up I kinda like the Forty-Eight. Anything that caught your eye recently?

Dougald

I'm also a big fan of the 48 and softtail slim. I quite like the Night Rod too, though if I'm honest there isn't really anything in their lineup that I feel like is best in class.

If only they still had Buells in there, I'd be quids in. I'll still own one someday as I feel like you can't really be a biker without having had a Harley and a Ducati at some point.

Yeah, and considering how little time I'm spending on my Ducati, I feel pretty confident in recommending something Buell. It really is a shame Harley pulled the plug. Weirder still they've also stopped making the XR1200. That at least appeared to fill the gap a little bit.

Night Rod sounds glorious though, like, really damn good

Flo_Evans

I got something good for you guys (hopefully...) but I am slammed at work.

1 pic for a preview:

p8N5xky.jpg

250 miles in a day and I felt great, 1200GS is just smooth as hell on the interstate. I left at 7:30AM and got back at 7:30PM. If you take out the time off the bike (4 hours) my moving average was around 30mph, not bad. whats awesome is the GS tells you this itself, I just had to do the math to check if it was right :)

I hit 120 in an empty back stretch with no signs of struggle... kind of want to take to a long track and see what it can really do.

Now I want a big ass adventure bike (this is my brothers). Oh wait, I always wanted one just the KTM 1190. :)

Awesome pic! Looks gorgeous.

I did 300 miles around the beach on Sunday.

Today was productive as hell. Finally sealed an exhaust leak that had been bugging the shit out of me. And I installed new grips...
PvFRVsw.jpg

Flo_Evans

Finally got a chance to edit together my time lapse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U_q01xJwDc

I set the gopro to take a 12mp photo every 30sec. Then I went through and adjusted exposure to match (got a bit lazy near the end...) threw out bad frames (mostly selfies) then added to Final Cut and attempted to pause/stutter the frames to the beat... I kind of like it, really did it as a test for much better trips/roads.

Haha. I font know what it is but I promise in real life the tank had dirt and bugs all over. Comes out pretty in pictures though! I just cleaned her and god what a pain. Bug guts are the worst.

damn I can think so... I was lucky. When they fitted my gps they pressure washed it and 5 days later for the service they cleaned it again. But I know its not fun. I had a GS back in South Africa and they come with spoke wheels and I liked to keep it clean. That was skin off knuckles every time

That's true.

But it kinda sucks to have it just standing there. I don't ride it as much as the Buells and it feels like a waste. On the other hand, I'm the first owner and that's a special attachment to have as well. Eh, difficult.

Stopped working earlier today to have a look at the bike in question though and holy shit. It really does look like it just rolled off the assembly line. Seems like as good an opportunity to own an almost new (Sportster type) Buell as I'm ever going to get.

Dougald

I look at it like this: you can always find another Ducati, but another Harley era Buell? They will only get harder to come by in that condition.

Top Bottom