• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Duderz

Banned
Nope, not my first bike. Just hesitant to barely be able to tiptoe with a $13k bike. I'm hoping the aftermarket seat will make it so that I can at most get on the balls of my feet, otherwise I may either need to deal with it or stick with the Street Triple. Still investigating.

That's also what I'm looking at getting. With the lower setting and low seat it gets the seat height down to 790 so should be pretty doable at 5'7".

Dougald

You're never going to get both feet down but if you just put one down and shift your arse over to that side at stop lights, its do-able with a light bike, just intimidating. All down to personal preference I guess.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I always take comfort in that Pedrosa is 5'2" and is one of the best MotoGP riders.

I forget her name but there was one popular female writer motorcyclist who did demos of her picking up a dropped heavy bike.

The only time he puts his foot on the floor is at the start.... rest of the way its taps open all the time.

Hope he is ready for this weekend and his arm pump problem is better

got the viffer dynotuned. with the pipe, i went from 92 rwhp to 100ish, and after break-in i SHOULD have about 103 rwhp. top speed is 148 mph.

D9m63fO.jpg

also the throttle response is perfect now, and the vtec in lower gears is smooooooooth.

Was practicing slow speed U-turns on the SV and dropped it on its left side at about 5 km/h. DOH!

Only damage I could see was a bent clutch lever, but I have a shorty lever that I was going to install this weekend anyway.

This comes a week or two after it fell off the kickstand (my fault), also onto its left side, no damage that time. I did 15000 km on the old bike with no incidents and I've now dropped my new (used) bike twice in 500km.
thanks obama

At least I don't have the lower fairings on. And frame sliders are on order.

Watevaman

I am going to miss all the great mountain roads around me when I move out in a few weeks. Found a great loop about 90 miles long today and can't wait to do it again.

Damaged

Now that im not riding 90 odd miles a day I finally decided to give the Aprilia a good deep clean and polish,... four hours later and a full bottle of Rock Oil SOC gone I am regretting that descision. The wheels look great now but I need another bottle of SOC so I can do the inside of the swingarm and around the front sprocket.

Also, I have realised that I hate cleaning wheels with twin discs on, I mean how the hell do you get the bits in the middle without ripping your hands to shreds?

Also, I have realised that I hate cleaning wheels with twin discs on, I mean how the hell do you get the bits in the middle without ripping your hands to shreds?

Yeah cleaning that stuff is a nightmare.

Something like this can make it a little easier, but the trouble is, they tend to fall apart after a little while:

motorcycle-engine--wh8cqsi.jpg

Dougald

I'm lazy, I use a motorcycle cleaning spray like S-Doc 100 or Castrol Greentec - spray it on, agitate any really horrible areas with a sponge gently, then hose the bike down after 5 minutes and chamois off the moisture. Almost as good as a proper cleaning job without the effort.

Yeah, that stuff works pretty well. Though it's expensive and I always feel bad when I go through 20% of a flask trying to cover all the dirty bits. And then half of it drips off before it gets a chance to soak in. Though what does manage to hold on, does the job, yeah.

Shitty phone pic I took yesterday (because why not?):

img-20150517-wa0001farq0.jpeg

Took the bike over to my dad to figure out why the oil light was coming on last week. Turned out to be a faulty sensor. We had put in a new oil sensor after the big clean up, the old adage (if it ain't broke...) therefore held true once again. We put the old one back in and it's fine now.

I really need to figure out how to properly capture the sound of this bike for you guys, it's so good. There's this tunnel that goes under the train station here in Leiden, fairly long, like 600 meters or something? When you really open it up, you'd half expect the tunnel to start collapsing for all the noise that is generated behind you. Doug, you would not approve, haha.

In other news, I bought one of these:

motolug-model-te6fo1f.jpg

Which means I can bring two bikes with me when I go to France this Friday. The primary objective of the trip is participating in this event: http://www.klimmentegenms.nl/ (My dad, my brother and I are in a team together), we try to bike up the mountain (Mont Ventoux) a couple of times to raise money for multiple sclerosis. But afterwards it's time for some relaxation and I will no longer be sad (like last couple years) that I won't have a motorcycle with me.

Such glorious roads around that mountain.

Dougald

That Buell is a sweet looking machine. I have thought about getting a bike trailer as well, but now my wife rides we can both just bike on holiday, so it's not so pressing. The number of times I've been away in some fantastic rural countryside, limited to pootling around in a Dacia is depressing.

Doug, you would not approve, haha.

Like yes, approve no ;-)

Haha, already very tempted to add a Firebolt to the collection. There was one here a couple of weeks ago, an XB12R for 1500 (!) euro. About 60.000 miles on the clock, so pretty worn out. But I should have bought it immediately for that price. Didn't do it for some reason, when I came to my senses later that afternoon it was already gone.

:'(

Dougald

I really am tempted by the idea of a V-Max for my next bike... it just seems a little intimidating to go from a Street Triple to all that raw power

I was actually considering a Rocket III, but the v-max seems a bit more practical (and cheaper). Not that I can afford either yet..

Yeah, they look very cool and sound amazing. Wondered whether I could get away with buying one a couple months ago. Sat on this one at the annual bike fair thing here in Utrecht:

Look how it made me smile :p

My dad warned me away from it though. Handling and brakes are supposed to be an absolute nightmare, especially when you're used to near telepathic handling from Buells or Street Triples.

Of course, riding it just because it's an incredibly cool bike can also be an end in itself. And I always thought of the V-Max as the proper Japanese answer to Harley Davidson. Not a straight up copy, but something that does its own thing.

Dougald

Yeah I think the v-max is the ultimate squid bike.. just point it in a direction and go

Cornering would be the dealbreaker for me as I can't think of many long straight roads in the UK that aren't motorways. I heard the brakes were "okay", I think the newer bikes have larger calipers which help but I couldn't afford one of those. I guess I should test ride one sometime really.

Thinking of getting a motorcycle, you guys think a cb500x is a good start? I'm also 5"5' so idk about the heights and stuff

that is a good bike to start with but you can also look at the Yamaha MT-07 that is getting rave reviews.

This range of bikes is massive and you have so much to choose from. Let the fun begin

Looks like I'll be browsing through this whole thread as soon as I get home! Any tips on ways to practise to get better at handling? Or just anything in general? Im reading my dmv booklet looking to take my permit test next week and then sign up for some classes

Jackson

Looks like I'll be browsing through this whole thread as soon as I get home! Any tips on ways to practise to get better at handling? Or just anything in general? Im reading my dmv booklet looking to take my permit test next week and then sign up for some classes

Don't panic. That's how you crash. If a corner is tighter than you thought, if you need to suddenly brake at something ahead of you. Stay calm. Most crashes can be avoided if you're level headed. Also be aware of things around you, like where cars are or where they could be coming from.

Dougald

Good riding is all about being smooth with the controls. If you drop the clutch or grab a fistful of brake you're going to have at best a very jerky ride.

Find some good classes and I'm sure you'll be fine. I would say with some good training under your belt your preferred starter bike would be a good fit

Evo X

Practice slow maneuvers and tight turns in a parking lot. Most people drop bikes while riding slow, not fast. You can use the lot to practice emergency braking too. Progressively and smoothly grab the brake until you are at the limit of traction. In an emergency, you will react instinctively. If you are used to slamming on the brakes, you WILL lock up and crash.

Another tip is that you will go where you look. Remember to keep your head up and look through the turn instead of focusing on the lines or looking straight.

Will also reiterate All Gear At All Times. Doesn't matter if you just want to go around the block. Put on your helmet and other gear.

Good luck on your classes and test! Riding is an amazing adventure and you are always learning. I've been riding for 13 years and am still finding ways to improve.

Watevaman

Hope you find all the info you need motherxwolf. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

What do you say we create a "beginner" post, guys? Maybe something with resources for new riders and recommendations on each of our own preferred beginner bikes?

thanks guys! a beginner thread would be awesome but if i'm the only one asking i wouldn't want it to go out just to die, there's tons of info on this thread

Dougald

Harleys Street 750 is coming to the UK. I'd be interested in testing this one out to see how it compares with the Ducati and Triumph in terms of how nice it feels for the money.

9GBUVu9.jpg

Obviously it doesn't look as "premium" as other bikes from the Marque, but it does have a heck of a smaller price.

Will also reiterate All Gear At All Times. Doesn't matter if you just want to go around the block. Put on your helmet and other gear.

I know ATGATT can be very divisive but I would wholeheartedly agree. Look up what happens to skin or even regular cotton jeans at normal road speeds. A decent fitting helmet, gloves, *motorcycle* leather/textile jacket and boots that cover your ankles at least. You can get a lot of second hand gear on eBay and in terms of safety the most important thing with a helmet is that it fits, not the price (though try an expensive helmet and you'll never go back in terms of comfort). They should show you this in any safety class or competent store, but a full-face helmet should give you "hamster cheeks" without being uncomfortably tight, and you should ensure that its tight enough that it can't be rolled off your head.

Dougald

That bike looks so different it might as well be a whole new model. Looks awesome though, I plan on doing a custom build of my own someday, though if it looks 1/10 as nice as that I'll be blown away

Flo_Evans

Cool little video, I had forgotten Orlando was a bike fiend as well as an actor. Nice.

I like what he said too, I feel the same way. I get super focused on the ride and my bike and all other distractions fade away. It's like a hyper aware state where your motions are automatic but you are concentrating really hard on riding well. You can feel the tires, feel the transmission click into gear, feel the clutch grab, feel the power build in the engine as you feed it gas :)

I love riding.

Jackson

Did a little flyby on my ride today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT_Eke8DRYw

Man, it sounds so much different in a third person. You can hear all the crackles and even one of the loud "pops" from my exhaust on decel. Hope y'all enjoy it. I'm gonna try and get another one before I leave these nice mountains for good next week.

I liked it... I wanna do something like that haha. But cut out all the bs before and after! Just need the fly by, not you placing the camera down. :p EDITING!!!

Man, it sounds so much different in a third person. You can hear all the crackles and even one of the loud "pops" from my exhaust on decel. Hope y'all enjoy it. I'm gonna try and get another one before I leave these nice mountains for good next week.

Excellent! Was half expecting you to wear your HEV suit though.

I like what he said too, I feel the same way. I get super focused on the ride and my bike and all other distractions fade away. It's like a hyper aware state where your motions are automatic but you are concentrating really hard on riding well. You can feel the tires, feel the transmission click into gear, feel the clutch grab, feel the power build in the engine as you feed it gas :)

I love riding.

Yeah, when all that stuff comes together it feels so very good.

very nice man... did you use a external mic or just the built in mic? That sounds like a nice smooth revving bike

Watevaman

I liked it... I wanna do something like that haha. But cut out all the bs before and after! Just need the fly by, not you placing the camera down. :p EDITING!!!

Haha, yeah, this was a direct upload from my phone but next one I'll hopefully have a camera person so I won't need to worry about that.

very nice man... did you use a external mic or just the built in mic? That sounds like a nice smooth revving bike

This was the built in mic on my phone (Nokia Lumia Icon). I'm pretty happy with the way the sound turned out.

Well, this happened yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7U31U5Wg_Y

Luckily the slider did its job and the damage is down to a scraped up front fairing, broken turn signal, scraped bar end, and scraped exhaust. Also, another scraped knee for me.
Damn, sorry to hear it. Did you lock up the front?

It's frustrating but at least you are okay. Would be a lot worse if you broke a bone and put yourself out for months at a time.

Top Bottom