• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

Damn, sorry to hear it. Did you lock up the front?

It's frustrating but at least you are okay. Would be a lot worse if you broke a bone and put yourself out for months at a time.

Yep. There was a piece of hard plastic that I didn't see until it was too late. Front wheel hit it and locked and down I went.

Makki

Well, this happened yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7U31U5Wg_Y

Luckily the slider did its job and the damage is down to a scraped up front fairing, broken turn signal, scraped bar end, and scraped exhaust. Also, another scraped knee for me.

Im sorry to see that... little things add up quick to a big amount even on a low speed slide. I couldnt help but chuckle at what you were muttering at the end while you ran to the bike, what were you trying to say?

Watevaman

Im sorry to see that... little things add up quick to a big amount even on a low speed slide. I couldnt help but chuckle at what you were muttering at the end while you ran to the bike, what were you trying to say?

Haha, I was saying "stop" over and over because I didn't want my bike to suffer from oil starvation, which is a problem with them.

UMGAWA

Wow, amazing.
It's hard to comprehend that the H2R is stock..
Although, that GTR must be a masterpiece of modifications.

UMGAWA

The H2R is a track only version with 300HP. The street version H2 comes with 200HP.

What I meant is that the bike comes from factory with that amount of power. The bugatti and Gtr have had to be tuned and only the skyline manages to slightly walk away with the win. If it was a factory car it would have been trounced.

Jackson

Well, this happened yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7U31U5Wg_Y

Luckily the slider did its job and the damage is down to a scraped up front fairing, broken turn signal, scraped bar end, and scraped exhaust. Also, another scraped knee for me.

That sucks dude! For an accident I'm glad it was only minor to you and the bike. That was a super low speed crash and plenty of damage was done! I'm actually glad you dumped your bike, it looked like if you didn't you might have hit that car turning in front of you as you clearly weren't slowing enough in time.

Motorcycles are extremely fun toys, but they always demand the utmost respect.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Ouch!
But I do find it funny how we always go to our bike's rescue. I've had a few drops on mine before but I can't imagine on a more expensive bike.

8IJYxVf.jpg

600 miles service done! (was at 1100, lol.) i changed the oil myself previous at 200 just to make sure there were no microshavings in it, though.

when my z seized up and pitched me, i chased its slidin' ass down the road with an apparently torn calf ligature. only worry on my mind was checking out my bike. :-(

Watevaman

That sucks dude! For an accident I'm glad it was only minor to you and the bike. That was a super low speed crash and plenty of damage was done! I'm actually glad you dumped your bike, it looked like if you didn't you might have hit that car turning in front of you as you clearly weren't slowing enough in time.

Motorcycles are extremely fun toys, but they always demand the utmost respect.

Yep.

I ran through the situation in my head a lot after the accident. If I had used the rear (like I usually do on slower speeds), I likely wouldn't have crashed or it would've been easier to alleviate. I was so angry at the piece of plastic in the road, haha.

I took a 400 mile trip through Texas hill country yesterday. It was a damn good ride. The previous night there were tornadoes and some heavy flooding but I managed it with 0 rain.

Dougald

Yep.

I ran through the situation in my head a lot after the accident. If I had used the rear (like I usually do on slower speeds), I likely wouldn't have crashed or it would've been easier to alleviate. I was so angry at the piece of plastic in the road, haha.

I watched that video about 6 times and couldn't really figure out where you went wrong enough to drop the bike, so I would just chalk it up to bad luck. Glad to hear you're ok and hope you can find the few bits that need replacing on the bike relatively cheaply.

It does reinforce my belief that ABS/Traction Control is a good thing for street riding, and I'm glad it'll soon be mandatory for new large-cc models in Europe
so the rest of us can afford a used bike with ABS in 10 years haha

Watevaman

I watched that video about 6 times and couldn't really figure out where you went wrong enough to drop the bike, so I would just chalk it up to bad luck. Glad to hear you're ok and hope you can find the few bits that need replacing on the bike relatively cheaply.

It does reinforce my belief that ABS/Traction Control is a good thing for street riding, and I'm glad it'll soon be mandatory for new large-cc models in Europe
so the rest of us can afford a used bike with ABS in 10 years haha

There was a flat piece of plastic on the road so I don't know if abs would've helped me anyway.

Dougald

Well, it would have presumably stopped the front wheel locking after hitting it, though whether it would have done anything is hypothetical at best. In an emergency situation I'll trust a computer over rider skill for something like that any day

Dougald

Just bought my wife a brand new Shoei GT Air as her HJC was getting a bit long in the tooth (and she's been eyeing mine since I bought it last year). If any UK gaffers are looking for a new lid, Helmet City are giving away free Kevlar jeans with every Shoei.

I really am tempted by the idea of a V-Max for my next bike... it just seems a little intimidating to go from a Street Triple to all that raw power

I was actually considering a Rocket III, but the v-max seems a bit more practical (and cheaper). Not that I can afford either yet..

How do you feel about the Ducati Diavel? I think it would satisfy what you're looking for and be more usable than either of those bikes. That said either of those you mentioned with nice aftermarket exhaust sound absolutely incredible. The Rocket III I heard in person with aftermarket pipes reminded me of the "Bat" vehicle from TDKR when it first starts up lol.

Dougald

How do you feel about the Ducati Diavel? I think it would satisfy what you're looking for and be more usable than either of those bikes. That said either of those you mentioned with nice aftermarket exhaust sound absolutely incredible. The Rocket III I heard in person with aftermarket pipes reminded me of the "Bat" vehicle from TDKR when it first starts up lol.

I'd love a Diavel, the sticking point unfortunately is price! Though I did sit on it and didn't find it massively comfortable, but I wouldn't say no if I could find a cheaper one.

I'd love a Diavel, the sticking point unfortunately is price! Though I did sit on it and didn't find it massively comfortable, but I wouldn't say no if I could find a cheaper one.

While it's the highest MSRP, they're all within 4K of each other. Instead of a power cruiser you might consider one of the "super" nakeds? Super Duke, Tuono, S1000R, etc.? Not sure if that's what you're going for, though. It sounds like you have a bit of a wait, anyway. Prices will be lower for used ones. The two bikes you mentioned are fairly rare to see in my experience. I think you'd actually have a better shot at finding a used Diavel than a used VMAX or Rocket III.

Dougald

In the UK it seems to be the other way around. Very rare to see a used Diavel under £10k GBP, but there are *loads* of older V-Maxes, and a good selection of rockets between 5 and 10 grand

Cheapest Diavel listed on Auto Trader is £9500, about £4k more than the cheapest rocket :-( Of course it helps that the Rocket has been out a lot longer, I suspect if you're comparing like to like they are similarly priced, but then they'd all be too much for me

Harleys Street 750 is coming to the UK. I'd be interested in testing this one out to see how it compares with the Ducati and Triumph in terms of how nice it feels for the money.

9GBUVu9.jpg

Obviously it doesn't look as "premium" as other bikes from the Marque, but it does have a heck of a smaller price.

I know ATGATT can be very divisive but I would wholeheartedly agree. Look up what happens to skin or even regular cotton jeans at normal road speeds. A decent fitting helmet, gloves, *motorcycle* leather/textile jacket and boots that cover your ankles at least. You can get a lot of second hand gear on eBay and in terms of safety the most important thing with a helmet is that it fits, not the price (though try an expensive helmet and you'll never go back in terms of comfort). They should show you this in any safety class or competent store, but a full-face helmet should give you "hamster cheeks" without being uncomfortably tight, and you should ensure that its tight enough that it can't be rolled off your head.

I am interested in the 750 myself. Best friend has an 883 iron and it's beautiful. Cost is the main thing for me once I've passed all my tests.
The kawa Vulcan S is he front runner for me for a bike but if this 750 gets good reviews I may look in to it. Hoping I can get a test ride of both down the line. I hope it can have a cheap price

So this is coming home with me on Tuesday hopefully. 2006 Sportster 1200 for 6k.

Gonna start work on it right away to turn it into something like

Got a parts list thats a page long so far so I'm gonna switch out the simple stuff like bars / pegs / exhaust first.
Looks awesome! Congrats!

Houston flooded today so I took another vacation day and hit up the dealer to take care of a warped rotor under warranty. I've been here 3 hours. I could have changed it in like 20 minutes! Argh! What a waste of a day.

Can anyone recommend a bike lift? I have smallish garage in my apartment complex and I could work on my bike in so long as I could move the lift in and out.

Watevaman

Can anyone recommend a bike lift? I have smallish garage in my apartment complex and I could work on my bike in so long as I could move the lift in and out.

A stand or a a lift?

I haven't bought mine yet (been bumming others) but I'm going to be picking up an Abba superbike stand in the coming week or so. It attaches onto the swingarm pivot bolts so it's more like a center stand than a rear stand.

Abba also has their Abba Skylift that lets you lift the whole bike up hydraulically in 3 positions.

Depending on where you live certain choices may be more financially viable. The Abba superbike stand isn't available from anyone in the US so you need to order it from Blue Streak Racing in Canada and it's pretty expensive ($250/300). The Skylift is around $900 or $1000, I believe.

If you're talking about a paddock stand then there's really nothing better than a Pitbull in the US. They're expensive but they're super well made and worth it.

I am interested in the 750 myself. Best friend has an 883 iron and it's beautiful. Cost is the main thing for me once I've passed all my tests.
The kawa Vulcan S is he front runner for me for a bike but if this 750 gets good reviews I may look in to it. Hoping I can get a test ride of both down the line. I hope it can have a cheap price
Have a look at the latest motorcycle.com test between the Vulcan S, Street 750, and Honda CTX. The Vulcan is getting good reviews generally and I like that they (out of the shop) will change pegs, seat and handlebars to fit you.

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-out...750-v-honda-ctx700n-v-kawasaki-vulcan-s-video

I have an Iron 883 myself and love it.

Dougald

Typically I get the offer to buy some cheap last-minute Isle of Man TT tickets just as I've agreed to go to a wedding that week

Next year!!

Wifey should be seen in this, don't you think? Another GT air to match my white one.

Looks great. I have an RF-1100 and have sort of been wanting a GT Air. If I buy one though I don't think I would use the 1100 at all, so I would be setting aside a perfectly good helmet, which is hard to swallow.

Looks great. I have an RF-1100 and have sort of been wanting a GT Air. If I buy one though I don't think I would use the 1100 at all, so I would be setting aside a perfectly good helmet, which is hard to swallow.

Sitting with the 1100 too and really would have liked the internal visor. Another 2 years then I am up for a new one.

Dougald

I don't blame you, I would love to have lots of different lids but especially as I have a headset installed in mine, I know I'd only ever use one

Personally as much as I love the GT Air I do have more of an Arai head, so I am hoping Arai lose their hatred of internal visors in 3-4 years time when I replace my GT Air. My old chaser was just that little bit more comfortable, but the GT Air really checked all the boxes in terms of sun visor + comfort + headphone inserts

Sitting with the 1100 too and really would have liked the internal visor. Another 2 years then I am up for a new one.

Hm, so apparently you're supposed to replace them every 5 years. Is that supposed to be from date of manufacture? The Shoei site actually says 5 years since purchase, which sort of surprises me.

if yer a commuter or a tourer, go shoei -- you can't beat them for comfort, features, and general noise reduction.

if yer humping a supersport or have hooligan tendencies, go arai -- their helmets have MUCH less drag and better airflow.

Hm, so apparently you're supposed to replace them every 5 years. Is that supposed to be from date of manufacture? The Shoei site actually says 5 years since purchase, which sort of surprises me.

that is how I understand it... date of purchase as its suppose to be correctly packaged to avoid damage till you buy it.

Dougald

I must take terrible care of my helmets because mine become so scuffed and grotty after 3-4 years that I need to change. At least the GT air has a fully removable liner so I might make this one last another 4 years to the full 5. Though I'll need a new visor before then.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I replace my helmets every few years, with a cleanup of the lining every few weeks as it can be hella grody in the summer.

Dougald

Not bad! The GT Air is a bit pricier though, but you do get that internal visor.

The free kevlar jeans are not bad quality either. Not as good as my Hood Jeans (though I haven't found any that are), but probably about par with the Draggin Jeans my wife already had.

Edit: I can recommend Helmet City too, next day delivery from DPD, no problems. In my experience Lids Direct and Sportsbikeshop are also great.

Top Bottom