• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Yamaha MT-25:

Duknweq.jpg

Yamaha are really knocking it out of the park with these beginner-friendly lower cc bikes. The MT-125, 25 and R3 are all great looking machines that look bigger than their engine capacity would suggest.

Yamaha MT-25:

Duknweq.jpg

Yamaha are really knocking it out of the park with these beginner-friendly lower cc bikes. The MT-125, 25 and R3 are all great looking machines that look bigger than their engine capacity would suggest.

agreed, a nice small bike for the winter months that is cheap to run but still looks good and its fun to ride.

Taking the express lane to work is awesome because I can just cruise at 70 the entire way. Until I get to the end of it and realize I don't have a shifting peg anymore. Beautiful start to the relationship with my Harley.

Taking the express lane to work is awesome because I can just cruise at 70 the entire way. Until I get to the end of it and realize I don't have a shifting peg anymore. Beautiful start to the relationship with my Harley.
Put some blue loctite on it. It was probably installed without it. Since that footpeg is aftermarket I'm assuming your shiftpeg was too. My whole shift lever fell out once 35 miles from the nearest dealer in rush hour traffic. You are not alone.

Also, I check for loose bolts around my bike at least once a week. So far I have had my saddlebag, shift lever, front cylinder exhaust flange nuts and exhaust mounting bracket nuts come loose on my Road King. Check Harley forums. Shit shaking loose is pretty common.

Yeah I cannot even fault H-D there. I put aftermarket rearsets on my bike, and like a dummy I didn't use any Loctite. While out I felt my shifts getting super sloppy/weird..sure enough it had vibrated out after months of use. I did it properly when I re-installed.

Dougald

Sounds like when the chainguard shook off my wifes original Chinese bike... of course the difference being that it was Chinese, so even though I put loctite on all the bolts it still fell off!

I imagine that big V-Twin doesn't help, though.

Yeah I cannot even fault H-D there. I put aftermarket rearsets on my bike, and like a dummy I didn't use any Loctite. While out I felt my shifts getting super sloppy/weird..sure enough it had vibrated out after months of use. I did it properly when I re-installed.
Yep. The Harley service manual calls for blue loctite on basically every bolt.

Sounds like when the chainguard shook off my wifes original Chinese bike... of course the difference being that it was Chinese, so even though I put loctite on all the bolts it still fell off!

I imagine that big V-Twin doesn't help, though.
Haha! The newer ones aren't so bad. I may be wrong but his 06 Sportster is not a rubber mounted engine so that bad boy is going to vibrate like hell. The only ones that vibrate in the new lineup are the softail models. My road king was smoother than the Kawasaki Nomad i test rode.

I'm not sure what it is but I've also found that my Harley is sensitive as hell to actual torque value. I've never used a torque wrench in my life until I bought my first Harley and it solves a lot of headaches with shit coming loose.

Dougald

Friend of mine is considering trading his Street Triple for a Night Rod.. I told him to do it, though that may have been out of self-interest.

I had a chance to ride the VROD a couple of weeks ago, didn't find it all that impressive. Handling was crap, braking was crap and the power delivery not even close as exciting as ony my Buells.

Is the night rod markedly different? Love the sound and the look of the night rod though.

Dougald

^See, I love the night rod, but that just looks ugly to me

Except the wheels, I love those Harley-specific solid cast wheels. They just look so different

Here's BMWs r Nine T scrambler concept. Pretty nice

x5cyMpq.jpg

Jackson

I had a chance to ride the VROD a couple of weeks ago, didn't find it all that impressive. Handling was crap, braking was crap and the power delivery not even close as exciting as ony my Buells.

Is the night rod markedly different? Love the sound and the look of the night rod though.

Same reaction I had. Looked cool. Rode terrible.

Dougald

I haven't been posting so much as I've just spent the last few weeks finalizing spending my new bike money on a house (so no Rocket 3 for me any time soon, but at least I didn't have to sell the striple)

However it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere now and I'm determined to get out on the bike and get some pics, I expect you all to do the same!

I haven't been posting so much as I've just spent the last few weeks finalizing spending my new bike money on a house (so no Rocket 3 for me any time soon, but at least I didn't have to sell the striple)

However it's summer in the Northern Hemisphere now and I'm determined to get out on the bike and get some pics, I expect you all to do the same!

Tell me about it... a house is a good investment but man it loves to eat your money

Dougald

Now that it's nearly over (completes tomorrow), I am thinking of celebrating by finally getting a nice Dainese 2-piece suit..

I will! Need to fix something on my M2 though :D.

I didn't notice until after I had parked the bike that the expansion chamber on the rear shock had come undone and was merrily scraping along the asphalt as I was blasting down the highway after midnight. Must have been quite a sight to see me causing a rain of sparks all the way from Amsterdam to Leiden.

I feel lucky that it didn't catch on anything...

/edit: with a picture of the aftermath ->

aip2qajp0imaolswozc0c2npbp.jpg

I've been on another trip to New Zealand. Every time I go down there I think about hiring a bike (or getting my old 250 that's still sitting in my parents garage back on the road). Some of the roads just begging to be ridden. Didn't have a lot of time this trip so will see if I can get sorted for the next one which will be 4 weeks over the next Southern Hemisphere summer.

Got a flat on my way home today. 30 miles from home I get a real bad vibration coming through the bike and then my rear wheel starts to hop. The dealer sent a tow truck but I won't have a new tire on it until tomorrow. Luckily I have the wheel and tire warranty. It was $400 when I purchased the bike so it will basically pay for itself with just this incident.

I knew something was wrong as soon as I left work. The first turn out the bike felt squirrely and it started to weave. I figured it was a balancing or steering bearing issue and I was good to hit up the dealer by my house. 5 miles down the freeway and it completely crapped out. What a day.

Dougald

We wanted more posts but... not like this! Hope you guys all get it sorted

Drinky, at least you didn't run out with your Tiger ;-)

I've been on another trip to New Zealand. Every time I go down there I think about hiring a bike (or getting my old 250 that's still sitting in my parents garage back on the road). Some of the roads just begging to be ridden. Didn't have a lot of time this trip so will see if I can get sorted for the next one which will be 4 weeks over the next Southern Hemisphere summer.

I hope you know that I now hate you. Biking in New Zealand is the top of my bucket list, but the rental prices are a bit too high to do it on a whim. Unfortunately my wife won the coin toss for our next holiday so it'll be a few years before I get to go out there.. so I expect you to go back and live my dream for me!

Looks like they are close to the production model. Gone is the upside down forks... we are back to normal forks. If you look past the Austin Powers paint job its going to be a nice retro bike.

HpE45M0.jpg

I'll be joining this crowd real soon!

Been wanting a bike for so many years. Since the beginning of college. I'm a working man now and I'm going to go ahead and make the jump this summer.

Everyone is so damn annoying. "Oh I know someone who died on a motorcycle." How is that an appropriate response to someone following one of their dreams?

That's pretty inappropriate yes. I know someone who was killed in a car, I don't bring it up when people buy new cars or go for a drive!

What are you planning to get?

Makki

Would it be dumb to buy a new 2013 R6 considering it's been the same bike for years? It's 9400 OTD. There's some deals on 2013-2014 Ninja 636s but not as good, 8900 or so before fees...

Dougald

Would it be dumb to buy a new 2013 R6 considering it's been the same bike for years? It's 9400 OTD. There's some deals on 2013-2014 Ninja 636s but not as good, 8900 or so before fees...

Not if you like the looks of the current model and you're getting a price reduction based on it being a bit long in the tooth (heck, look at almost every Suzuki and their pricing).

I think its still a great looking bike.

I'll be joining this crowd real soon!

Been wanting a bike for so many years. Since the beginning of college. I'm a working man now and I'm going to go ahead and make the jump this summer.

Be prepared to spend all the time you're not riding wishing you were riding. Oh, and spending all your disposable income on gloves instead of video games. You'll love it!

Dougald

It seems the insect-like bug lights are probably on their way out (see the new R1), but that R6 looks so nice it'll end up as era-defining rather than dated, imo.

Kind of like my wifes CBR600F and it's single triangular headlight.

Edit: oh, top of a new page! er... here's a Rocket III to make it look nicer

That R6 does still look pretty nice. I'd go for the Daytona myself if I was in the market for a supersports.

I'd guess they're not far away from updating it trickling down from the new R1. Which might end up the with the current models getting even better deals.

That's pretty inappropriate yes. I know someone who was killed in a car, I don't bring it up when people buy new cars or go for a drive!

What are you planning to get?

I'm probably facing the same dilemma that you all have heard over and over. Get a Ninja 250 to learn and sell relatively soon after, or get something like sv650 to hold onto a little bit longer. Not sure yet.

And yeah, I already dropped $800 total on a helmet and jacket :/ Hoping I can keep everything under $4k

Couple of pics for the new page from my latest trip to France (first the Provence and then Normandy). Not my bikes sadly, I was going to bring them on that trailer I bought specifically for that purpose, but it was too much work preparing for the cycling (up the Ventoux, three times in one day!) part of the trip to bring the motorcycles as well. Anyway, motorcycles (and one Honda Dax):

Watevaman

Finally got around to ordering an ABBA Superbike Stand this morning. Looking forward to its arrival, as the ZRX hasn't been ridden much in fear of not having a stand to maintain it on. It's looking like it'll take a week or two for the stand to get here, so when it does, I'll be sure to get a video overview/review up for everyone.

Couple of pics for the new page from my latest trip to France (first the Provence and then Normandy). Not my bikes sadly, I was going to bring them on that trailer I bought specifically for that purpose, but it was too much work preparing for the cycling (up the Ventoux, three times in one day!) part of the trip to bring the motorcycles as well. Anyway, motorcycles (and one Honda Dax):

that monkey is awesome. Looks like you had some nice weather. Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom