• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

They are doing some nice stuff with the R-NineT base

MqhMFQi.jpg

Dougald

Gotta love that R nineT, shame about the price, I think I'd rather have the R1200R than a stock nineT

Some incredible customs coming out of it though, which I guess was BMWs intention with the design of the bike.

StuKen

Plans for a solo ride from Dublin to Bilbao in north Spain coming together now. Ferry, eurotunnel and accommodation booked.

Day 1 - Dublin to London. Will get the ferry to Holyhead and then down to London overnighting with family. About 500km
Day 2 - London to Poitiers - This is the big one. London to Folkstone for the eurotunnel to Calais. Then Calais on to Poitiers. 760km and a whole lot of French tolls.
Day 3 - Poitiers to Guernica - A shorter 580km run through Bordeaux down to the Spanish border and a night in Guernica before hitting Bilbao the following morning.

Then it's 3 days driving around the Basque mountains, a music festival and then the return journey back through Châteauroux and not Poitiers. All in all, this is an almost 4000km round trip.

Excited. GS need a service, a new set of tires and a wash before going anywhere.

Makki

So having been bikeless since my ZX9 got backed into for over 3 weeks I'm going insane watching everyone riding....

The shop that had my bike finally did an examination and so far there's 3 grand worth of damage and labor since in the US they dont repair fairings, only replace. Well, turns out they didnt even check the tranny issue I brought up so they think it will get totaled given that it refuses to shift into neutral. Now I get to wait some more for them and the insurance company to duke it out as to repair or write a check, and I get to worry about being lowballed on the value for the bike for a while longer.

Dougald

Plans for a solo ride from Dublin to Bilbao in north Spain coming together now. Ferry, eurotunnel and accommodation booked.

Day 1 - Dublin to London. Will get the ferry to Holyhead and then down to London overnighting with family. About 500km
Day 2 - London to Poitiers - This is the big one. London to Folkstone for the eurotunnel to Calais. Then Calais on to Poitiers. 760km and a whole lot of French tolls.
Day 3 - Poitiers to Guernica - A shorter 580km run through Bordeaux down to the Spanish border and a night in Guernica before hitting Bilbao the following morning.

Then it's 3 days driving around the Basque mountains, a music festival and then the return journey back through Châteauroux and not Poitiers. All in all, this is an almost 4000km round trip.

Excited. GS need a service, a new set of tires and a wash before going anywhere.

Sounds great! Euro Tunnel is a breeze on the bike, you should have a great time. The toll
roads in France you're taking can be quite dull, but there is some great scenery along the way.

stock suspension. it rides low. only farkles are the pipe and the frame sliders. or maybe it's my fat 188-lb. desk jockey ass!

yup, it's shiny. only ~1200 miles on it -- just broken in

Jackson

This is, by far, the most crazy motorcycle related video I have ever seen. (its old though, so you might have seen it!)

The biker has way more guts than brains, but hey, he didn't die! So I guess he won...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r37sYhXsM

At first I was like... this is fake. It's just staged between friends for hits, but nope it's real! Here's a local Alabama Newstation report about the incident http://www.wvtm13.com/13-investigates/13-INVESTIGATES-Road-rage/29317960

STRAIGHT BONKERS!

Finally brought the sporty home. Already got new shocks / bars / pegs / exhaust coming in the mail. Coming from brembo breaks to stock harley ones is super noticeable. I felt like i really had to go hard on the breaks to get the bike to stop. Maybe it needs new pads though? Anyone got any input?

Dougald

Maybe swap the pads for some aftermarkets, or look into getting braided hoses if you don't have them already. Though I'm not sure it'll make a massive difference

Finally brought the sporty home. Already got new shocks / bars / pegs / exhaust coming in the mail. Coming from brembo breaks to stock harley ones is super noticeable. I felt like i really had to go hard on the breaks to get the bike to stop. Maybe it needs new pads though? Anyone got any input?

looks nice in the white

Comes with the territory :)

Dougald

CBR600F passed its MOT, so looks like it will see 20 years on the road before the next one. Not without trying mind, the throttle was sticking so I spend Saturday getting at the return cable (Honda only provides an adjuster on the bars for one of the cables) under the tank/airbox.

I have to say as much as I love Triumph you have to hand it to the Honda, I'm not sure my Street Triple will be going so strong in 2030. Starts on the button and rides like it just rolled out of the dealership.

The stock pads are crap. And the OEM calipers are too small for even the sporty IMO. I've got the Harley OEM brembos on my road king and its a world of difference

Dougald

Saw three sets of EU guys on bikes today on my way to Birmingham. All with kit on the back and full turing mode.

Jealousy.

I am looking at booking for 2016 now, as soon as my finances are a bit straighter than they've been the last 2 months. Camping, either with your own tent or a pre-erected one, seems to be the only way to go without breaking the bank.

Damaged

Yeah TT is always a killer for me as Im very near the ferry terminal to get over there, this year its even worse as I'm sat working in the dealership staring at two Aprilia RSV4's with hundreds of bikes going past every few hours for each ferry!

Dougald

Quite funny really, I'm not near Liverpool but it's only really a 3 hour ride to catch the ferry for me, but I've never been, whereas I'm sure lots of bikers across the world would kill to go.

Next year for sure! Even if just to get a photo of me + my bike in Douglas for the terrible joke factor.

Dougald

I was wondering when that video would show up on gaf. You see the same comments on reddit. I just can't read that stuff any more, some people are insane.

For my 2 cents as I don't post in those now, this is why I stay as far away from road rage as possible. It ain't worth it.

To give an example, a friend of mine was once very nearly knocked off by a chap in a beamer, at the lights he politely told him so, and the bloke then tried to run him off the road. You never know what kind of crazy is behind the wheel

Dougald

In more positive news, Sena is releasing the 10C, a bluetooth headset with Camera built-in:

ihqulim.jpg

It's backwards compatible with the SMH10 units my wife and I use, I am very tempted to pick one up instead of buying a GoPro and having both attached to my helmet.

To give an example, a friend of mine was once very nearly knocked off by a chap in a beamer, at the lights he politely told him so, and the bloke then tried to run him off the road. You never know what kind of crazy is behind the wheel

BMW (cars) and Mercedes also tend to attract a certain "variety".

Almost had 'fracas' myself with some lowlife in a Mercedes about a year ago. He was right on my ass when I slowed to make a turn so that I could check for bicyclists whose paths I would cross. I looked around, annoyed, when the guy decided to actually physically nudge my bike with his car. At that point I stepped off the bike and gestured like 'wtf dude?'. He got out of his car and got right in my face, threatening to beat me up. Luckily his friend then also got out of the car, not to help him, but to calm him down.

Can't take any chances these day. Just keep your distance, keep your head down and perhaps most importantly: swallow your pride.

In more positive news, Sena is releasing the 10C, a bluetooth headset with Camera built-in:

ihqulim.jpg

It's backwards compatible with the SMH10 units my wife and I use, I am very tempted to pick one up instead of buying a GoPro and having both attached to my helmet.

this would be nice...

Watevaman

By the way, how's the bike Watevaman? I saw that video when I was on holiday. Rotten bit of luck :(.

It's doing fine so far, thanks. Only thing I need to replace is the front turn signal, fairing, and get a frame slider to replace the one that wore down.

Got some work I've gotta do to it coming up soon, like a valve adjustment and bleeding/replacing all the fluids.

ihqulim.jpg

That is awesome! I'm gonna have to check this out. I love my smh10

Wolfe

This is, by far, the most crazy motorcycle related video I have ever seen. (its old though, so you might have seen it!)

The biker has way more guts than brains, but hey, he didn't die! So I guess he won...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_r37sYhXsM

At first I was like... this is fake. It's just staged between friends for hits, but nope it's real! Here's a local Alabama Newstation report about the incident http://www.wvtm13.com/13-investigates/13-INVESTIGATES-Road-rage/29317960

STRAIGHT BONKERS!

What a piece of shit, sticking a loaded gun in someones face while your finger is on the trigger over an argument, out in public no less?

Human trash.

Edit: The motorcycle dude was being a huge idiot chasing the guy down too, everyone's a loser in this one! Just glad no harm actually came to either party.

Makki

Gents, I got a call from the other party's insurance and was told I would receive a check for an amount that is close to what I paid for the bike. Now, since the damage is cosmetic I am wondering if it it is legal for me to not fix the damages with the payout and sell the bike as is instead... If I fix it with the payout I would have invested close to 7 grand for a 97 Ninja and I feel like its a stupid thing to do. I dont want to break a law or do sneaky crap though so if it aint right it gets fixed.

Evo X

Here is old Guy Martin on the BMW RR taking a lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njvdy7bcQHM&feature=youtu.be

Absolute insanity. I don't think my brain could process going through there at half the speed.

Gents, I got a call from the other party's insurance and was told I would receive a check for an amount that is close to what I paid for the bike. Now, since the damage is cosmetic I am wondering if it it is legal for me to not fix the damages with the payout and sell the bike as is instead... If I fix it with the payout I would have invested close to 7 grand for a 97 Ninja and I feel like its a stupid thing to do. I dont want to break a law or do sneaky crap though so if it aint right it gets fixed.

It's your money now, you are free to do whatever you want. As long as you disclose the damage when you are selling, it is perfectly legal.

Makki

It's your money now, you are free to do whatever you want. As long as you disclose the damage when you are selling, it is perfectly legal.

Alright thanks for the info Evo. I feel bad for not giving the shop anything other than the inspection fee since they've waited on the insurance check for a week

Absolute insanity. I don't think my brain could process going through there at half the speed.

true that is point, hold on and hope you come out the other side haha

Schuhu

Neo Member
Welp crashed today after a long tour. Rear tire hit a hole in a shitty road and went sideways. Doing 60km/h with legal limit 70. Full free gear prevented anything major. My foot is swollen and got minor rashes but even though the hospital found nothing they wanted me to stay the night so here I am.

Bike slid across the road but thankfully no oncoming traffic. Brake lever is busted and a scratches on the side of course but seems salvageable.

Happened after 10 000km riding and on the bike. Could be worse.

Edit happened on a straight part

Dougald

Sounds like bad luck. Glad to hear you were riding sensibly with gear and are OK, and of course that the bike sounds like it's not too banged up!

Welp crashed today after a long tour. Rear tire hit a hole in a shitty road and went sideways. Doing 60km/h with legal limit 70. Full free gear prevented anything major. My foot is swollen and got minor rashes but even though the hospital found nothing they wanted me to stay the night so here I am.

Bike slid across the road but thankfully no oncoming traffic. Brake lever is busted and a scratches on the side of course but seems salvageable.

Happened after 10 000km riding and on the bike. Could be worse.

Edit happened on a straight part

wow man, I am happy all is still working and you get out the hospital without any problems. Gear is always your best protection as a first.

Went for a nice ride with the wife on the back... really easy to do two up riding with the R1200R.

Saw the new R1200RS and then new XR.... damn that XR is going to sell allot as its a touring seating position with all the fun of the RR tuned down engine. Track day and even getting to the track would be fun.

Makki

My foot is swollen and got minor rashes but even though the hospital found nothing they wanted me to stay the night so here I am.

Hope you got discharged quickly and are feeling better.

Went to a demo even at a Ducati dealership in Ocala, FL. The roads didnt lend themselves to experience the amazingness of the rides BUT I still can't believe I got to trash around a 899 Panigale!

The ride position was extremely different yet comfortable, it was like sitting on top of the gas tank and my arms were closer to me which was nothing like the 2015 ZX6R/10R GSXR or R6. It was also the skinniest supersport I've ever ridden, and the engine noise was intoxicating. I would never buy the bike though because I'm 5'-6" and I my legs didnt reach the gas tank cut outs to wrap my legs around it so I touched the frame of the bike instead and it hurt my knees.

I also rode a Hypermotard and that shit was unbelievable... nothing like a DRZ 450SM and given the price point I'm not surprised. 0-60 in no time, great suspension and incredible comfort for a tard.

if i wanted a supersport, it'd be a tough call between the panigale 899 and the daytona 675r. prolly go with the trumpet for the reliability, but both are very streetable and moderately comfortable.

Dougald

Absolutely love that RS, a little pricey for me new but in a few years I could definitely see myself owning one.

Currently watching the TT coverage, watching it back to back with an F1 race I tuned out of after half an hour really shows the difference, hah.

Top Bottom