• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Damaged

Whoo! I love my job! just found out I got a couple of free tickets for the Goodwood festival of speed next weekend and they are letting me take the new 1200 Caponord Rally :D

Damaged

No problems, will be packing my camera gear so should have plenty. Only downside is that im there for the saturday and Rossi is only there on the sunday!!!

Makki

Not if you like the looks of the current model and you're getting a price reduction based on it being a bit long in the tooth (heck, look at almost every Suzuki and their pricing).
I think its still a great looking bike.

I went and looked at it and thought so too, regardless of updates that may come to it this year or the next I like the shape so here it is, MY brand new 2013 R6 lol:

7bfZ9Nl.jpg

Before tax and tag it was 8600 which I think was a good deal. They also gave me the first 600 mile service for free and as a bonus, a can of Yamalube spary polish.

that monkey is awesome. Looks like you had some nice weather. Thanks for sharing

You're welcome :). And yeah, the weather was great. Solid 25 degrees the whole time we were there, just perfect.

I went and looked at it and thought so too, regardless of updates that may come to it this year or the next I like the shape so here it is, MY brand new 2013 R6 lol:

Excellent, you did good! Now remember, just park it on the sidewalk :D

Makki

Thanks all! Because of fathers day I didnt have time to give it a nice wash and take some good shots so I will do that next weekend. Im finding it almost impossible to keep it under 8600 RPM like the manual wants you too, its super quick

Fixed1979

Most likely a stupid question coming up here but...When I did my spring oil change after winter storage I ended up over-filling the oil so I had to remove the drain plug to get the excess out. Based on my limited knowledge I'm guessing that the crush washer got used up the first time I sealed it and then when I took out the plug to drain and then tightened it again the washer wasn't really doing as good of a job as it should have? I've been keeping an eye on it and my oil level, my oil level has remained constant but I have developed a slow leak which I'm assuming is from the plug because of the washer (it's either the plug or the filter).

I bought a new washer over the weekend and I was just going to remove the plug, put on the new washer and tighten it up again, top of the oil and clean the area around the filter and plug. Does this seem like a reasonable plan or is there something else I should also do?

Watevaman

I believe that's what my friend has on his Daytona. They're grippy as hell when warm, but shit cold and already are nearing the end of their life at ~3k miles. They can be great tires if you're doing a lot of spirited riding and not hoping to get a lot of life out of them.

Dougald

Most likely a stupid question coming up here but...When I did my spring oil change after winter storage I ended up over-filling the oil so I had to remove the drain plug to get the excess out. Based on my limited knowledge I'm guessing that the crush washer got used up the first time I sealed it and then when I took out the plug to drain and then tightened it again the washer wasn't really doing as good of a job as it should have? I've been keeping an eye on it and my oil level, my oil level has remained constant but I have developed a slow leak which I'm assuming is from the plug because of the washer (it's either the plug or the filter).

I bought a new washer over the weekend and I was just going to remove the plug, put on the new washer and tighten it up again, top of the oil and clean the area around the filter and plug. Does this seem like a reasonable plan or is there something else I should also do?

Should be fine, if you have a torque wrench, torque the bolt to manufacturers spec when you do it. Some people do reuse crush washers but they are meant to be "one use only". I actually just use copper washers instead of special crush ones as they are dirt cheap and I can keep a lot of them about for this sort of thing. They are soft enough that they're basically the same afaik.

Did you change the filter too? Oil could be coming from there if so, logic dictates its coming from whatevery you changed!

Jackson

It finally happened!

Ever been in your car and saw a biker coming the opposite way and wanting to throw a peace sign their way? You want to say! I'm one of you guys! I'm just in my car right now! But if you do your look pretty dumb. Right?

Anyway I took my sports car to a biz trip and took a detour on the way to a known twisty cliffside road which I've never been on before. I see a bike coming around a tight corner on the mountain side into a short straight and he has to know there's only one reason I'm on this road in this car and he throws down a low peace sign and I threw one back.

Feels good man.

That's it. Dumb story. Mission accomplished. Lol

Fixed1979

Should be fine, if you have a torque wrench, torque the bolt to manufacturers spec when you do it. Some people do reuse crush washers but they are meant to be "one use only". I actually just use copper washers instead of special crush ones as they are dirt cheap and I can keep a lot of them about for this sort of thing. They are soft enough that they're basically the same afaik.

Did you change the filter too? Oil could be coming from there if so, logic dictates its coming from whatevery you changed!

Thanks, yup, so far I've replaced the filter and oil each winter and spring. I don't think I torqued the drain plug properly the first time either, but I remembered my wrench this time. Hopefully this will be a quick fix.

It finally happened!

Ever been in your car and saw a biker coming the opposite way and wanting to throw a peace sign their way? You want to say! I'm one of you guys! I'm just in my car right now! But if you do your look pretty dumb. Right?

Anyway I took my sports car to a biz trip and took a detour on the way to a known twisty cliffside road which I've never been on before. I see a bike coming around a tight corner on the mountain side into a short straight and he has to know there's only one reason I'm on this road in this car and he throws down a low peace sign and I threw one back.

Feels good man.

Haha, that is pretty damn cool, especially if he did it first.

It finally happened!

Feels good man.

That's awesome! I always have to fight the instinct to give a wave when I am in my wife's car.

Thanks, yup, so far I've replaced the filter and oil each winter and spring. I don't think I torqued the drain plug properly the first time either, but I remembered my wrench this time. Hopefully this will be a quick fix.
I reuse my crush gaskets and washers usually 2-3 times. I've never had a leak. Id be surprised if the leak is actually from that washer.

GONZO

Just bought myself a new set of tires.

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II.

Good purchase?

I've gone through four sets of these tires already. They're very good tires for street and light track use. I'm averaging about 4200 miles out of a set so far. Sharp turn in and good feedback.

Anybody have a dual sport?

I had a BMW 650 GS last year. Hated it. Im sure the bigger ones are nice, but IDK dual sports seem to suffer from" jack of all trades" syndrome. By that I mean they are serviceable in every riding condition. However, when you are on the road, you'll wish you had a sport bike or cruiser. And when you are off road, you'll lust for a proper dirt bike.

Edit: To be fair: If you have serious off road skills, I am sure dual sports are great fun once you leave the tarmac. I did not possess such skills.

Edit 2: dual sports are ugly :)

Jackson

Just bought myself a new set of tires.

Pirelli Diablo Rosso II.

Good purchase?

Nice! My bike has Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa's and I dig them a lot. Good purchase indeed.

Rosso 2's are harder than Corsa's and last longer but have less grip, but they're great for street.

4000 miles on a set of a tires? Man, that's gotta be love. I'm kinda peeved that my crappy Harley Dunlops only get me about 15k. They also have ass handling

4000 miles on a set of a tires? Man, that's gotta be love. I'm kinda peeved that my crappy Harley Dunlops only get me about 15k. They also have ass handling

These two are related ;)

15.000 miles on a motorcycle tire is insane.

Most I ever got was 8000 miles on a Pirelli Diablo rear tire. Not sure yet how many my Michelin PP2CTS can handle, I'm dividing the miles over a couple of bikes so we'll see.

senahorse

Anybody have a dual sport?

I do, a WR250R, I find road riding rather boring personally and to me it's just a necessary evil in order to get on the dirt. I have been on a number of multi day trips on it as well. I just did a ride last month, about 450km's almost entirely off-road with quite a bit of single track. I find the WR to be really good off-road and there isn't much compromise really in my opinion if only slightly heavier than a dedicated dirt bike.

newparts_zps6b783f4e.png~original

PfMh1bC4YM7P41KbMKTFl6fCVRIl-5AQ5jyKrHkO9Ho=w1620-h911-no

I love it :D

These two are related ;)

15.000 miles on a motorcycle tire is insane.

Most I ever got was 8000 miles on a Pirelli Diablo rear tire. Not sure yet how many my Michelin PP2CTS can handle, I'm dividing the miles over a couple of bikes so we'll see.
Man! For once Harley guys are spoiled. We complain when we only get 10k. People report up to 20k on Michelin Commanders and Dunlop American Elites

Dougald

I put about 4k miles on the Bridgestone Battlax's I had on the Bonneville, I think the rear had another 2k of life left in it when I sold the bike, front another 4k.

I had some Avon Storms on the ST1100, those would get about 8-10k going on history. God knows what the Street Triple gets, I just put 2 new Battlax's on at 6000 miles, though there was still a bit of life left, I wanted something a bit better in the wet.

GONZO

Yeah,

Good sport bike tires are a whole other level compared to cruiser tires when it comes to wear. I push my bikes rather hard with at least one track day a month during the season. I could use harder compound tires but those tend to carry a higher price point so it almost is a wash.

Watevaman

Bah, the company that I bought the ABBA stand from is in Canada and it turns out they were missing some of the kit for it (the adapter that makes it fit the swingarm pivot bolts), so they had to order them from ABBA in England. So now I've got parts in Canadian customs which will then be shipped to me in the US, having to go through customs again. Why this is annoying to me is my chain has gone pretty much 500+ miles without being lubed due to me not having a stand along with some other work I'm waiting on the stand to do. This is what I get for putting off buying a stand for so long, haha.

I've been riding my bicycle lately, so when I got back on the SV I thought I had a flat tire or something from how low it rides in comparison. Oops. :p

Dougald

Bah, the company that I bought the ABBA stand from is in Canada and it turns out they were missing some of the kit for it (the adapter that makes it fit the swingarm pivot bolts), so they had to order them from ABBA in England. So now I've got parts in Canadian customs which will then be shipped to me in the US, having to go through customs again. Why this is annoying to me is my chain has gone pretty much 500+ miles without being lubed due to me not having a stand along with some other work I'm waiting on the stand to do. This is what I get for putting off buying a stand for so long, haha.

That sucks, if you ever need more parts ordered direct from ABBA I'd be happy to have them delivered locally to me then send them on to you.. save at least one customs trip

In the meantime, do what the guy at one of my local Triumph dealerships does, stick it on the sidestand, then lift up the rear wheel and spin it to get the chain lubed!

Will tell you guys all about it later, but eh... this happened today:

img_3668c9rkc.jpg

Now I'm off to bed, been a long day and we're going to Assen tomorrow for the MotoGP :).

Damaged

Well that was an Interesting day, 561 miles on the new Caponord 1200 rally, met Agostini and Stoner, and had a quick chat with Leon Haslam about the new RSV4RF. Got to love a job with perks

Evo X

Perfect 73F and sunny weather, beautiful scenery along the river, and great food led to one of the best days I have ever had on a motorcycle!

Had to ride 80 miles out of town just to get to this road, but it was SO worth it. Smooth pavement, low traffic, high speed limits, and zero cops.

Also had a empty highway on the way back home, so I figured I'd try to top out my STR. Highest speed I got to was 141mph fully tucked with the throttle pinned in 6th gear. The bikes theoretical top speed listed online is 142mph so I think I did pretty damn good!

For those that ride naked bikes, you know just how fast that really is. The wind resistance is INSANE when you're going that fast. My head was ferociously getting pushed back and upwards to the point where it basically felt like it wanted to separate from my body. I wonder if that's where the term "breakneck speed" comes from.

Here's a few pics I snapped.

F3iB5xB.jpg

d8fl129.jpg

6WOXWEB.jpg

vdqU4QE.jpg

Cool pictures guys. Did Stoner have anything interesting to say, Damaged?

Yeah baby!

I remember when Buell closed down and collectors were raiding their garbage bins!

I would not have been above that, had I lived anywhere near there around that time.

I'm confused. What happened?

He added to what is fast becoming the largest Buell collection in Western Europe, I think ;-)

That is correct :D, well I'm working on it.

The dealer where I bought my Monster had an interesting trade-in a while back. A 2010 Buell XB12 Lightning (long version). Acceptable mileage (18.000km), but they asked 8000 for it and wanted me to pay another 750 in addition to trading in my Monster. Which is a shit deal. My bike was worth more than the Buell. So I let that one go.

However, last week a new ad appeared on our 2nd hand trading website thing (marktplaats) for an XB12X Ulysses, 2006, with just 8000 miles on the ODO. He asked 4900. Needless to say, I called him pretty much immediately to make an appointment. Drove down there the next day and this guy turned out to be the exact person you would want to buy a motorcycle from. Took good care of his stuff, worked at what I think is the Dutch DMV (RDW here in the Netherlands) so really into bikes and cars. He had imported this Buell from Belgium last year when it had just 2400 miles on the clock. It had been sitting in some rich guys collection (next to Ferrari's and a Ford GT) doing pretty much nothing for ten years. He then used it to go on long trips for two seasons with his wife (also a motorcyclist), except she had a big KTM adventure bike and he was complaining he just couldn't keep up with the 150 bhp orange monster.

Which is why he wanted to sell it. Just perfect.

Planning on finally selling the Ducati now, going the private route first. Might end up with a whole lot more money in my pocket now that I'm not trading it in. Also very pleased that I went with a Uly instead of another Buell that would have been too similar to the ones I already own.

Damaged

Cool pictures guys. Did Stoner have anything interesting to say, Damaged?

Sadly didn't chat much as he had to go do his run up the hill, seemed to like Goodwood, was very positive of the new Honda road going GP bike (who's name escapes me but it does look stunning), but I figured he's probably being paid to say that. All in all much more approachable than his history or media would let you believe.

Oh and congrats on the latest Beull addition to the garage! always loved the front disc on the outside of the rim on those bikes

Dougald

I just carry them with me. I used to have a top givi top box which would hold everything, but I don't have a plate that will fit the striple, plus it's ugly

If you ride to work daily I recommend just getting a top box, they are really useful even if they are a bit ugly

Saw a grom this weekend with a full size dude on it and it was just cool. We are having major roadworks on my way to work and I was working on the wife to allow me to get this little filter tool. mmmmm only time will tell.

Tg8r3GI.jpg

Dougald

I want a Grom, but working from home I can't justify the expense! The black one with the gold forks looks like a miniature version of my striple.

I was hoping to get out on the bike tomorrow as I'm off work, but it looks like it might be a bit too warm, especially with my heated seat (or I can just ride faster I suppose)

I want a Grom, but working from home I can't justify the expense! The black one with the gold forks looks like a miniature version of my striple.

I was hoping to get out on the bike tomorrow as I'm off work, but it looks like it might be a bit too warm, especially with my heated seat (or I can just ride faster I suppose)

stand up riding to get max airflow... they say its going to be close the 30 here in the uk... now that is just mad

Dougald

33 on Wednesday, which is pretty crushing for people used to our moderate climate

I would be alright on all my vented gear at higher speeds, but dead going through towns. It's actually supposed to be a bit cooler on the south coast so maybe I'll take the striple down to the seaside for some fish and chips one day.

33 on Wednesday, which is pretty crushing for people used to our moderate climate

I would be alright on all my vented gear at higher speeds, but dead going through towns. It's actually supposed to be a bit cooler on the south coast so maybe I'll take the striple down to the seaside for some fish and chips one day.

damn that sound like a nice idea for a ride out.

Top Bottom