• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

good to know. Would love to get one next week, but with Christmas coming up just saving money aside for it and protection so hopefully a Valentines gift to myself...

Dougald

I would think its main weakness would be dual carriageway riding. If you're planning to mostly ride in reasonably urban areas its perfect, the brakes and suspension are way overspecced compared to most 125s.

The other bike I'd recommend maybe looking at is the Yamaha MT-125, but the MSX can be had for much less money, and it just looks so *fun*

^ I love the powerband of my sv650. The torque is brilliant.

I've had a naked 03 for about a year now--it was my first bike after getting my license late last summer, and really the only thing I've ridden outside of some 70s beater Kawasaki 150cc for the MSF course. Has been a great bike to ride, nice linear throttle, easy to maintain. Only downside is the positioning for my height is a little uncomfortable on long rides, and the lack of any fairing makes 60+ on the highway a bit uncomfortable.

Thinking of buying something new now or early next spring, will probably test a DRZ 400SM to explore "more fun to ride and less incentive to get on the highway, abuse it as much as you want, super light weight, pretend I'm going to find some trails" and then F800 GS to explore "okay let's just admit we're on the highway some percentage of the time and have a bit of wind mitigation, and actually get some useful storage so you're not wearing your bike messenger bag everywhere, and be more comfortable on multi hour rides since you're 6ft tall".

Hooligan-Hoedown-4-Poster-Updated-WEB.jpg

If you live in southern california or even the bay area and you have nothing to do this weekend. I'll be here ripping up shit on my bike. Tickets still available and theres group rides meeting in SF / LA / Ventura.

Flo_Evans

i test rode the s1000xr and found it unpleasant. it's fast as balls, but the vibes in the upper rev band are high resonance and nails-on-chalkboard grating. the s1000r doesn't have this problem, so i dunno what's up.

Hmm I tested one one today and didn't notice (I am used to a big thumper vibes tho...)

Was it still in "break-in" mode? The demo my dealer had was rev limited and wouldn't allow wheelies... Probably for the best :p

I did get a nice deal on a klim badlands pro jacket now I am stylin'

Nice jacket!

Was it still in "break-in" mode? The demo my dealer had was rev limited and wouldn't allow wheelies... Probably for the best :p

I love that some manufacters (can) do this now. Always feel bad for the poor sod who buys a demo that's just completely trashed already (which used to be pretty much all of them).

Flo_Evans

It was pretty interesting, you could basically give it WOT and the front tire would lift a few inches then it would cut the throttle just enough to bring it down smoothly while still accelerating. I'm usually not one for electronic nannies but it was really impressive how hamfisted you could ride it and still be quick/safe.

sgjackson

went to aimexpo yesterday and sat on/looked at a shitload of bikes

the bike that surprised me most was the kawasaki vulcan s - the ergofit stuff really works. i'm a bigger dude at 6'2", and i sat on the one they had set up for extended reach and it was probably the best fitting bike i sat on at the show, and if i were looking for that kind of cruiser i'd probably start there. it was basically that and adventure bikes that didn't make me fold up like an accordion, lol.

also got fitted by an arai rep - at 61.5cm i'm smack in the middle of their xl sizes. the rx-8 fits me best compared to their other helmets - i also tried a signet q and a defiant but one had a pressure point in the forehead and the other was tight in the temples. the rx-8 was consistently firm around my whole head but not totally tight or anything. if i had 600 to drop on a helmet i'd look at that first, but i'm in more budget helmet territory so i'm wondering if i can use that information to narrow down what helmets i should be looking at out of like, hjc/bell/scorpion/icon territory in terms of fit.

Good news guys, that buyer did turn up last Thursday and he actually emailed me back with an offer late Friday night. It was 500 below what I asked. So I told him 7750 was the absolute minimum. He then tried to play hard to get for two days (by waiting 24 hours before answering each time, as if that would change anything), but I guess he knew as well as I did that he's already paying peanuts for what's pretty much a new bike. Odds are I'm going to regret this someday. Though I'm happy to get a reasonable price for it and one less bike in the garage also feels good.

Never go over three bikes GAF. Just don't do it. You'll be changing oil, tires, keeping track of tire pressures, battery levels for what feels like every weekend of the year. Just don't do it :p.

He's picking it up on Tuesday. Hope all goes well.

Riding season is coming to a close around me :(

Never go over three bikes GAF. Just don't do it. You'll be changing oil, tires, keeping track of tire pressures, battery levels for what feels like every weekend of the year. Just don't do it :p.

I guess I hit the limit a couple years ago then :p
hdeu4ce.jpg

I settled on the DR650 since it can do what all 3 of those bikes could do. Once I get a more comfortable seat that is. 2 hours on the stock seat is torture.

Anyone Ridden a Honda MSX 125 (Or Grom in America)?

Looking at a fun 125 to help me learn more which after passing any test I can still have fun with and enjoy. Reviews seem to be favourable but just wondering what Neogaf thinks?
Yeah I had an MSX for that exact purpose - something super fun to practice while doing my advanced access. But for me where I live I need to be able to ride on the dual carriage way and plodding along at 60-65 on a good day just makes you feel vulnerable. And I'm a fatty which makes it very slow uphill and makes me look redicilous.

Highly recommend to go test one though. If I still lived in London proper I'd have kept it for sure. Up to 45ish mph it's an absolute blast.

RoyalJordanian even rides one!

Well, the '96 600F is a bit of a slouch compared to a modern 600. But even though she had to pass her test on a comparable bike she never really used the power of that CBR anyway... and we all know the adage "more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". Whatever she's happy with is fine by me, after all, that's the point

It mostly reaffirms my belief that clip-on handlebars are horrible and anyone who can use them for more than 10 minutes without hating themselves is either a god or insane.

i'm done with clip-ons myself. HOW OLD AM I? SO OLD.

It was pretty interesting, you could basically give it WOT and the front tire would lift a few inches then it would cut the throttle just enough to bring it down smoothly while still accelerating. I'm usually not one for electronic nannies but it was really impressive how hamfisted you could ride it and still be quick/safe.

wheelie control. my tuono had it. it was necessary. i turned it off because "AH DUN NEED NO FUCKIN' COMPU-TAR HELPIN ME RIDE" and i wicked the throttle on an on-ramp and let's just say i moved it to setting 1 when i got to the office :-O

Damaged

wheelie control. my tuono had it. it was necessary. i turned it off because "AH DUN NEED NO FUCKIN' COMPU-TAR HELPIN ME RIDE" and i wicked the throttle on an on-ramp and let's just say i moved it to setting 1 when i got to the office :-O

Did the same test riding the new 1100 Tuono, 1 is about the right setting, 4 on the traction control. Then it can slide and lift the front without throwing you at the scenery. Made me feel like a god until I got cocky and turned it down, it reminded me who was actually in control pretty fast

Dougald

What do you guys think about the Ducati Scrambler?

I've ridden one, it handles fantastically (though as drinky says the throttle is very snatchy) and was great fun.

My problem is it just felt cheap to sit on. It rides great but for the price you expect a more premium feel, something the (worse handling but similarly priced) Bonneville has in spades. I'd personally prefer a Monster as that's where the engine is from anyway... try it out and see what you think, it's all down to personal preference as it's by no means a bad bike, I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Good news guys, that buyer did turn up last Thursday and he actually emailed me back with an offer late Friday night. It was 500 below what I asked. So I told him 7750 was the absolute minimum. He then tried to play hard to get for two days (by waiting 24 hours before answering each time, as if that would change anything), but I guess he knew as well as I did that he's already paying peanuts for what's pretty much a new bike. Odds are I'm going to regret this someday. Though I'm happy to get a reasonable price for it and one less bike in the garage also feels good.

He's picking it up on Tuesday. Hope all goes well.

Good luck mate, and I know what you mean about 3 bikes, running two was too much for me as it was.

Hoedown was an amazing time. Riding 4 and a half hours on my knobby tires was more exhausting than I had imagined it would be. Didn't manage to hit any dirt unfortunately (besides some shoulders on the ride up and a few off ramps). Can't wait for the other rides I have planned in the next 3 weeks.

I've been waffling back and forth for a few years on whether to get a bike or not... and I'm thinking I will. I honestly have no interest in riding on city roads, but I'd love to go riding around in the country, by the beach, fire roads, etc. That sounds fun.

I have a tendency to gravitate towards more classic looking bikes, but beyond looks, I don't know a ton on bikes.

Here's what I like:

Moto Guzzi V7

Ducati Scrambler (I'm partial to the Urban Enduro)

Triumph Scrambler (I really dig it)

Kawasaki W800 (My favorite in looks, but isn't sold in North American anyway)

Honda CB1100 (probably too much bike for me)

I'm not working at the moment, but I'm hoping to get my license late next year sometime.

Watevaman

Man, I really want a CB1100. Wouldn't complement the ZRX very well (they're pretty similar purpose) but it'd be nice to have an air cooled I4 with FI.

Where do you live ntgyk? I got my v7 because I thought I wanted to go on cool beachside rides and cruise around the city, jump forward to a year later and I realized what I really wanted to do was hit dirt and go offroading (hence building the harley I did). If you live close to the kind of riding you want to do you'll probably be happy. If you have to drive 45 mins to get to some fireroads / beach / whatever else you might end up not happy with your choice.

Where do you live ntgyk? I got my v7 because I thought I wanted to go on cool beachside rides and cruise around the city, jump forward to a year later and I realized what I really wanted to do was hit dirt and go offroading (hence building the harley I did). If you live close to the kind of riding you want to do you'll probably be happy. If you have to drive 45 mins to get to some fireroads / beach / whatever else you might end up not happy with your choice.

I live in Surrey BC. Does that help? Metro Vancouver area.

Dougald

If you get some solid road training under your belt then I feel like the Triumph, Kawasaki or Guzzi would all be solid choices - the Ducati is a bit aggressive on the fuelling and the Honda probably too big. The one thing to remember is pretty much all the bikes you listed except the Ducati Scrambler are quite heavy for a beginner, though lighter than a big cruiser. If you like the classic style those are about the smallest bikes you can get.

My first bike after getting through the licensing requirements here was a Bonneville. As long as you stop smoothly it was very forgiving as the engine isn't particularly aggressive. The Kawasaki is basically the same bike without the Triumph badge.

If you only want a new bike, Triumph are announcing the all-new 2016 Bonneville/Scrambler/etc models next week, otherwise I recommend a post 2007 model with fuel injection as I always had little problems with the fuelling in mine.

I've been waffling back and forth for a few years on whether to get a bike or not... and I'm thinking I will. I honestly have no interest in riding on city roads, but I'd love to go riding around in the country, by the beach, fire roads, etc. That sounds fun.

If off roading is what you're interested in, I'd look at something that was designed for that. Stuff like the Scramblers you listed look great and, in the right hands, can probably handle some dirt, but they are a bit on the heavy side I think. Even though Steve McQueen made it look easy :D.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
A dual-sport, maybe?

I gotta say, the Scrambler is one sexy bike. Always gets attention.

Fort dirt, I'd say it's best to start with a dirtbike and come slasses. Street riding, which is what I mostly do isn't going to help much in varying grip levels.

Good luck mate, and I know what you mean about 3 bikes, running two was too much for me as it was.

Thanks! It went really well, the guy just came by to pick up the bike. He presented the agreed upon sum in cash before he went for a test ride. We then signed it over to him and off he went.

Back to three :D, feels damn good. Though yeah, bit odd to see someone drive off on something you took great care of for such a long time. Seemed like a decent enough fellow however, I'm sure it's in good hands.

No, you're right, I really hadn't expected to sell it this late. Guess the price was right?

Also saves me 5 or 6 months worth of insurance and taxes on the bike. Good stuff.

Nander

I have a tendency to gravitate towards more classic looking bikes, but beyond looks, I don't know a ton on bikes.

Here's what I like:

Dude, excellent selection of bikes! Throw in Yamaha XSR700 and those are the exact bikes I'm considering for my next bike. Leaning heavily towards the Moto Guzzi V7II right now, it seems to be quite a nice update over the first version (especially now that it has ABS).

Flo_Evans

I wouldn't take the guzzi off road unless you know what you are doing... or installed some crash bars for those heads.

The Triumph is probably the most gravel ready (no low hanging radiators, tucked in exhaust.)

The ducati does win points for a high fender that will not pack with mud (although the standard tires are going to be worthless in mud).

I would seriously recommend picking up an old dual sport to learn to ride gravel roads though, DRZ400 is about perfect learner and can be had for cheap. You will drop it so get some proper gear as well...

I'm just such a sucker for design it's hard to consider anything else I would like.

Apparently Ducati is putting together a 400cc model of the Scrambler. That might just be the perfect fit. My ideal bike might be a 400 cc bike that's a cross between the Urban Enduro and Classic with better tires.

Would that be better?

Flo_Evans

I'm just such a sucker for design it's hard to consider anything else I would like.

Apparently Ducati is putting together a 400cc model of the Scrambler. That might just be the perfect fit. My ideal bike might be a 400 cc bike that's a cross between the Urban Enduro and Classic with better tires.

Would that be better?

Lighter in general = better if your primary use is gravel and off road. It will be worse on the interstate though, where I try to spend as little time as possible but sometimes you have to use them to get where you are going ASAP.

I just bought a Ducati scrambler off some guy with buyers remorse who should have bought the GS he ended up on, first.
Took it for a short ride to the registration check.
Damn, it's such a fun bike! Small but mighty. It has dual termis that are not obnoxious but have a pleasing bass sound.
Not the best for touring, lacks all the latest bmw gizmos. No good for track, but for my needs (I was going to spend about the same on a Vespa!) this bike is great.
Yeah it has that whole hipster thing around it but I don't care about the beards and lumbersexual wear, it's just a great bike!

Lighter in general = better if your primary use is gravel and off road. It will be worse on the interstate though, where I try to spend as little time as possible but sometimes you have to use them to get where you are going ASAP.

I want to avoid highways and interstates tbh. Even city streets, I'm not terribly keen on, at least here. I really do not want to deal with cars, haha. I just want to ride the bike.

Edit:

Lol, I showed my mom the Ducati Scrambler Classic, she says it looks like a cartoon

Dougald

The classic is nice in person too, here's a pic I snagged at the London Motorcycle show earlier this year

It doesn't have the cool license plate holder though, instead opting for a more traditional tail

Dougald

For my money I love the 2015 XJR1300, but I can't wait to see the new revamped Bonnevilles on the 28th

I really like the current retro trend of mixing the old and new rather than straight up nostalgia. I'll never get the true retro Ducati I want though, the sport classic.. it was ahead of its time, and the pricing on used is mental now. It's legitimately cheaper/the same price to get a brand new Scrambler.

For my money I love the 2015 XJR1300, but I can't wait to see the new revamped Bonnevilles on the 28th

I really like the current retro trend of mixing the old and new rather than straight up nostalgia. I'll never get the true retro Ducati I want though, the sport classic.. it was ahead of its time, and the pricing on used is mental now. It's legitimately cheaper/the same price to get a brand new Scrambler.

They actually go for more than the Scrambler I think. I know what I would pick though :p

Flo_Evans

See old BMW won best in a few classes with Motorcycle News

BMW R1200R best naked
BMW 1200XR best adventure sport
BMW 1200RT best tourer

That ducati scramber is also in there... like the look of them allot

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/

BMW makes good shit. Kind of surprised the KTM super adventure took the 1200GS big adventure bike crown, maybe they didn't want to look biased. :p

Personally I agree though I think I'd rather have the Ktm. Still waiting for them to make a 690 adventure.

Dougald

I love that KTM Adventure. I feel like the big GS is a road bike with aspirations of riding in the dirt, while the KTM is a dirtbike that also happens to be able to do highway speeds

The KTM may have the looks and ability, but my money would still go to the BMW, it's so well sorted. Plus the most dirt it would ever see with me would be parking in a field for a car boot sale

They actually go for more than the Scrambler I think. I know what I would pick though :p

I did look just now, the absolute cheapest I can find in the UK is the same price as a brand new scrambler, only it had 16k miles on the clock. You can't argue with it on looks though:

ooZrAS3.jpg

Sport Classic looks even better than the GT:

93214d1310289516-sporkbsxm.jpg

Why these didn't sell better than they did will forever remain one of life's great mysteries :p. If I had owned one of these instead of the Monster, I don't think I could have sold it. Would have made sense even, not to sell it.

Top Bottom