• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

No I watched the F1 race yesterday. Have the motoGP on DVR for later :)

Should have rode to work today, looks like its going to hit 70... cold and rainy rest of the week. :(

Alright, I will not spoil anything then. Don't wait too long to watch though, the shit that went down is bound to hit even the more mainstream parts of the media.

Interesting. The most consistent complaint I've read about the Ducati Scramblers is how uncomfortable those seats get after an hour or so of riding.

Granted, those are about the Icon model. I wonder if the Classic or the Urban Enduro use a totally different seat altogether?

The Enduro, Classic, and Full Throttle all had different seats (I think the Full Throttle had a suede seat, lol), but they were all nice and comfy.

I dunno, I liked how small the bike was. The Triumph and Moto Guzzi felt... bigger? I sat on the Scrambler, and it just felt... good. Not too big, but maybe that's just my fear of motorcycling steering me away from the bigger bikes to something that "feels" more manageable.

If a 400 CC version of the Scrambler hits, would that be a better option for me?

I think next June-ish, I'm gonna sign up for Pacific Riding School here in Surrey. They got a great rep for training and safety. My friends who have bikes recommended them, and so did the guy at Ducati.

I dunno, I liked how small the bike was. The Triumph and Moto Guzzi felt... bigger? I sat on the Scrambler, and it just felt... good. Not too big, but maybe that's just my fear of motorcycling steering me away from the bigger bikes to something that "feels" more manageable.

That is exactly how your first bike should feel. The taller, bigger, heavier a bike is the less 'manageable' a bike is going to feel, for beginners especially.

If a 400 CC version of the Scrambler hits, would that be a better option for me?

On the one hand, low capacity bikes are a growing market and I would suspect Ducati wants a piece of that. But they are a premium brand and, in many cases, low capacity also means cheaper components. (If they want to be able to compete with the other companies doing this). And I think think the Scrambler is about as cheap as Ducati is willing to go.

They used to have a 400cc Monster, but that was for the Japanese market only. And it's been a long, long time since they had that.

But I might have missed some rumors...

If they are doing a 400cc version though, it being lighter would probably make it better suited for the off road use you have in mind.

Pretty excited for the new Bonne announcements on Wednesday. I know that "bobber" version is a mixed bag but I'm really interested in turning something like that into a hardtail chopper.

79579.jpg

Sport Classic looks even better than the GT:

93214d1310289516-sporkbsxm.jpg

Why these didn't sell better than they did will forever remain one of life's great mysteries :p. If I had owned one of these instead of the Monster, I don't think I could have sold it. Would have made sense even, not to sell it.

Love the Sport Classic. Ive seen and ridden with a few guys that own them, they all have the same complaint though. Its a torture rack riding position. Long reach to the bars. I would still love to own one just for short rides.

ravien56

Alright, I will not spoil anything then. Don't wait too long to watch though, the shit that went down is bound to hit even the more mainstream parts of the media.
I saw it. I still think Rossi kicked him off. Speaking to a few people at work, some believe he did not though.

I saw it. I still think Rossi kicked him off. Speaking to a few people at work, some believe he did not though.

In the middle of the race...
uh yeah that looked clearly intentional to me

If you look at the aerial
he wasn't kicked off per se, but Rossi definitely was trying to slow him down/run him to the outside. He's convinced Marquez was screwing with him and intentionally holding him back so he cannot win the championship. Their lap times possibly suggest he's right. Rossi's move was a dick one but may have very well been in response to some very shitty moves on the part of Marquez.

My mom likes the Classic Ducati Scrambler.

My dad likes the Full Throttle Ducati Scrambler.

I think I somehow sold them on it. Lol.

I need to somehow combine the Classic, the Full Throttle, and the Enduro into the ultimate Scrambler.

My mom likes the Classic Ducati Scrambler.

My dad likes the Full Throttle Ducati Scrambler.

I think I somehow sold them on it. Lol.

I need to somehow combine the Classic, the Full Throttle, and the Enduro into the ultimate Scrambler.

You can get the icon
The buy the parts that appeal with the $ saving even selling the ones that come off, There isn't much difference between all 3 "plus" models vs the icon, it's just a few parts each.

Dougald

Personally I would get the Icon and then swap out the exhaust (yes, even with my loud exhaust hatred) and then put on either the Comfort or Classic seats. You can even buy the stainless steel side panels and classic logos separately it seems. There are *loads* of accessories from Ducati

I suppose the classic does have the spoked wheels which would be stronger and do have the look. Having had spokes before though I can tell you they are a huge pain to clean, and more of a pain if one breaks (though that's more Triumphs rubbish old rear wheel design, which they quietly changed)

Spoked rims also leak air, means you have to check pressures more often.

And the tires have tubes. So puncture repair is more difficult. They look great but the puncture repair process is a killer.

In the middle of the race...
uh yeah that looked clearly intentional to me

If you look at the aerial
he wasn't kicked off per se, but Rossi definitely was trying to slow him down/run him to the outside. He's convinced Marquez was screwing with him and intentionally holding him back so he cannot win the championship. Their lap times possibly suggest he's right. Rossi's move was a dick one but may have very well been in response to some very shitty moves on the part of Marquez.

If you look at the aerial/helicopter shot, it's clear that he did not kick him. There's absolutely no way. His foot did slip off the footrest, but Marquez was already on the asphalt by then.

The one explanation I could think of when I was watching it - that Rossi did want to slow him down, but only to look at him as if to say 'What the hell are you doing?' - was later voiced by Rossi himself as well. That Marquez decided he was going to turn in, despite something blocking his way, is why he fell. Rossi couldn't have planned for that.

To be fair, Rossi did ask for Marquez to pester him as he did when Rossi publicly voiced his suspicions about Marquez doing everything to sabotage Rossi's chance at winning championship. He just hadn't expected Marquez to double down on that shit as hard as he did. Nationalism runs fucking deep in those parts of Europe. And Lorenzo and Marquez are both Spaniards. Rossi is Italian. So Rossi's probably right, laptimes indicate the same thing. (Marquez not simply passing but slowing down.)

So, who's in the wrong here? In my opinion: no one is. There's nothing in the rules that says Marquez can't deliberately fuck with Rossi. But then there's also nothing that says Rossi can't close the door when Marquez tries to run around the outside. Marquez fell off the bike. Fuck with the bull motherfucker :p.

Still hope Rossi can pull off a miracle. That guy is awesome and he deserves it.

Flo_Evans

If you look at the aerial/helicopter shot, it's clear that he did not kick him. There's absolutely no way. His foot did slip off the footrest, but Marquez was already on the asphalt by then.

The one explanation I could think of when I was watching it - that Rossi did want to slow him down, but only to look at him as if to say 'What the hell are you doing?' - was later voiced by Rossi himself as well. That Marquez decided he was going to turn in, despite something blocking his way, is why he fell. Rossi couldn't have planned for that.

To be fair, Rossi did ask for Marquez to pester him as he did when Rossi publicly voiced his suspicions about Marquez doing everything to sabotage Rossi's chance at winning championship. He just hadn't expected Marquez to double down on that shit as hard as he did. Nationalism runs fucking deep in those parts of Europe. And Lorenzo and Marquez are both Spaniards. Rossi is Italian. So Rossi's probably right, laptimes indicate the same thing. (Marquez not simply passing but slowing down.)

So, who's in the wrong here? In my opinion: no one is. There's nothing in the rules that says Marquez can't deliberately fuck with Rossi. But then there's also nothing that says Rossi can't close the door when Marquez tries to run around the outside. Marquez fell off the bike. Fuck with the bull motherfucker :p.

Still hope Rossi can pull off a miracle. That guy is awesome and he deserves it.

I agree marquez was fucking with him... but I still think he intentionally kicked him.

semi-related http://theatricast.com/hitting-the-apex/ This looks pretty cool, going to try and go to the STL one.

Duderz

Banned
Seems the Triumph dealers are ignoring Triumph HQ's request to show off their new line tomorrow!

12193631_726472504119566_2373451954845773247_n.jpg

12193375_726472547452895_4845512477505162171_n.jpg

12108870_726472580786225_2800524780128991939_n.jpg

12063666_726472674119549_6023510017703809337_n.jpg

12038039_726472720786211_2723897767798041198_n.jpg

12143330_726472760786207_6609416108106030178_n.jpg

11140285_726472804119536_7311569406670656609_n.jpg

That faired Thruxton R is probably the closest I'll get to a Paul Smart Ducati. Pret-tay pret-tay good.

I watch half of it... and its just mad.... super exciting stuff. Looked to me that Marc was riding a bit aggresive and trying to get under him the whole time. But then again they should have calmed down for a lap or two and then attack again.

Dougald

That Street Twin is a fine looking bike

Edit: does that mean they'll be in dealers tomorrow? Because if so I'm going down for a nose

MCN: Ducati tease small Scrambler

Ducati really are going after the new riders.

Damn, so I did miss some rumors!

Well, there's your bike NTGYK.

It's all... Falling into place.

I'm really fond of those spoked wheels though.

You can get the icon
The buy the parts that appeal with the $ saving even selling the ones that come off, There isn't much difference between all 3 "plus" models vs the icon, it's just a few parts each.

I'm gonna wind up with a garage of parts and treat my bike like Lego, putting parts on and off, continually changing it depending on my mood.

Dougald

According to an article I found, the new T120 is 1200cc and makes 105Nm of torque... Almost enough to convince me to get another Bonneville

xFhYbo2.jpg

Duderz

Banned
This increase in power is all well and good, and I'm thankful for a six speed transmission now, but the biggest question on my mind: How much do these things weigh? The 865cc Bonnevilles were beefy as is.

Dougald

Big article from Visordown with lots of photos.

VisorDown said:
With three new engines:

The 900cc high torque engine of the new Street Twin.

Delivering a massive peak torque figure of 80Nm at a low 3200 rpm – which is an amazing 18% more than the previous generation, delivered low down and across the whole rev range.

The 1200cc high torque engine of the Bonneville T120 and T120 Black.

Built specifically for the modern classic riding style, it produces a massive peak torque figure of 105Nm at a low 3100 rpm – more than 54% higher than the previous generation T100.

The game-changing 1200cc high power ‘Thruxton spec’ engine.
With immediate, exciting power delivery and a massive peak torque figure of 112Nm at 950 rpm – an amazing 62% higher than the previous generation Thruxton.

In old money that's about 59,77 and 82 lb ft of torque respectively. No horsepower figures yet

and here's the official video

Dougald

Last time I prattle on about the Triumphs... this weeks MCN claims that the Street Twin & T120 will come in around £8k, the T120 Black around £8.6k, the Thruxton at £9k and the Thruxton R at an insane £12k

Take that with a grain of salt though.

Clearly you're not hipster enough for this new wave of faux-classic bikes

Hah, I guess. Though most people 'probably have never heard of' Buell ;).

Last time I prattle on about the Triumphs... this weeks MCN claims that the Street Twin & T120 will come in around £8k, the T120 Black around £8.6k, the Thruxton at £9k and the Thruxton R at an insane £12k

Take that with a grain of salt though.

That ... seems not too bad actually. The Thrux R does have a lot of really expensive looking stuff on it.

Why are the Street Twin and T120 the same price though? There's a 300cc difference, right?

Dougald

what's the pound to dollar conversion usually like for triumphs?

Nowhere near the exchange rate as our prices include tax, plus Britain.. Add ~1000 to the number and that'll probably be close to your dollar amount I reckon.

Edit: the Bonneville Newchurch was £7000 in the UK and $8700 in the US, according to the internet. So a bit more than my estimate. Also the reason why I can't believe the Street Twin is suddenly estimated to retail at £8k.

sgjackson

Nowhere near the exchange rate as our prices include tax, plus Britain.. Add ~1000 to the number and that'll probably be close to your dollar amount I reckon.

Edit: the Bonneville Newchurch was £7000 in the UK and $8700 in the US, according to the internet. So a bit more than my estimate. Also the reason why I can't believe the Street Twin is suddenly estimated to retail at £8k.

if it's going to cost me 15k to get a thruxton r with the fairing i'm out

Top Bottom