• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

£12k for the Thruxton R is hilarious honestly. You can get a gently used Norton Commando 961 for not much more money.

Of course you could still get the regular Thruxton and add the fairings, but still.

£12k for the Thruxton R is hilarious honestly. You can get a gently used Norton Commando 961 for not much more money.

Of course you could still get the regular Thruxton and add the fairings, but still.

Hmm, yeah, just converted the 12 on xe.com. That's nearly 17.000 euro without added taxes and import cost and whatever.

That would be way, way, way too expensive, even considering the premium bits.

Duderz

Banned
Since the Thruxton R is competing more with the BMW RnineT than it is with the Norton Commando (lol) I fully expect it to be competitive in pricing with that bike. $14 -$15k.

There's a Ducati Sportclassic at a dealer for $17k here in Los Angeles. Not that I have any desire for a Thurxton but I'd rather pay the 17 than 14-15 for a Triumph.

I know this is illegal but this video kinda got me wet, ok maybe not wet but yeah :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOtIDZ6dTmk

also you never see the speed going over ~120kmh so it's not THAT bad

He is driving on the right so my guess it is somewhere in europe = lax authorities who don't yet go after youtubers boasting publicly about their exploits.

That speedo is in MPH. An S1000RR can do 90mph in first at redline. He shifts a lot, e.g. at 1:11 he is in 2nd gear, 103mph at 12000 rpm.

Thirdly he is an idiot (obviously). In his quest for a viral video if he came around a bend to find a family doing a u-turn he'd be boned, and so would some kid. People like this guy are exactly why bikers get a hard time from the authorities everywhere.

He is driving on the right so my guess it is somewhere in europe = lax authorities who don't yet go after youtubers boasting publicly about their exploits.

That speedo is in MPH. An S1000RR can do 90mph in first at redline. He shifts a lot, e.g. at 1:11 he is in 2nd gear, 103mph at 12000 rpm.

Thirdly he is an idiot (obviously). In his quest for a viral video if he came around a bend to find a family doing a u-turn he'd be boned, and so would some kid. People like this guy are exactly why bikers get a hard time from the authorities everywhere.

Eh, I don't know man. I wouldn't exactly feel charitable to anyone dumb enough to be doing a u-turn directly after one of these turns (or anywhere on that road for that matter). Besides, it's not like he's still doing 100mph in those hairpins. The only real problem I see in this video (well, aside from the fact that the average speed is excessive cause he's on a damn superbike) is that Golf he overtakes near the end. He's well across the line when I don't think he can see whether there's oncoming traffic or not. That is very irresponsible.

^agreed, he shouldn't be on the road. Save it for the track.

Still, we shouldn't be surprised that people do this. Otherwise, why would they even be selling those 200bhp monsters with license plates? I know I didn't get into bikes to be puttering along the speed limit all of the time. Though yeah, when I do go over, it's not half as much as the guy in the video cause I'm on a lumpy v-twin.

Dougald

There is a difference between "enjoying the acceleration" (as the UK police safety course puts it) and flying around blind corners like it's Silverstone, though. That video certainly isn't the worst example I've seen though, but it's riding like that which gives the general public a dim view of bikes, and leads to more regulations

Dougald

Talking of tracks, a friend of mine has a 998, he actually takes 2 weeks in spain a year. Pays a shipping company to freight his bike ahead, flys in and spends 2 weeks riding various tracks, then has it shipped back. That's the way to enjoy your sportbike for sure

Dougald

The Reading toy run is the 6th December this year. Worth a rideout for those of you in the South East UK who fancy braving the cold

Talking of tracks, a friend of mine has a 998, he actually takes 2 weeks in spain a year. Pays a shipping company to freight his bike ahead, flys in and spends 2 weeks riding various tracks, then has it shipped back. That's the way to enjoy your sportbike for sure

Damn... that sounds pretty good. Now I miss my 998 :p.

Summer of 2009:

dsc_0114ukoa1.jpg

So what is now going to happen with Rossi... is he going to start from the back of the grid in the next race? Or did he loose some points. Because even the back of the grid he can get to the front. Dont know why but I am not a big Marc fan. He is good but have this fake happy face. Maybe its just me

Kick.. we where talking about news articles the other day.. Only bad news sells. That is why they always pull the worst out of the bag.

Looking forward to the next race to see if he can get up there for some points

I know this is illegal but this video kinda got me wet, ok maybe not wet but yeah :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOtIDZ6dTmk

also you never see the speed going over ~120kmh so it's not THAT bad

Back when I first started riding and hitting the streets, this is basically what me and a bunch of people did late (11pm+) every Wednesday night and early Sunday mornings. We probably even have videos, but we hit well over 100mph on public streets doing stupid shit. Looking back at it, it was pretty stupid, but we all eventually grew out of it and went into track riding.

And now here am I with barely any time to ride at all. :(

Dougald

According to MCN, the Z125 won't be making it to the UK. Not sure why as the Grom seems to sell really well here. I wonder if that means it won't be coming to the US either, as the EU seems to get more variety from the Japanese manufacturers than North America

Walking Dead” fans: Prepare to take a wild ride with Norman Reedus.

AMC has announced that Reedus, who plays the hunky but volatile Daryl Dixon on the zombie-themed drama, will host a series about motorcycles.

Dixon, a motorcycle aficionado, will travel the country on his bike and interview collectors, mechanics and motorcycle craftsmen. The 46-year-old former model will also make rest stops at biker bars and tattoo parlors.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/walking-dead-hunk-host-bike-show-article-1.2416814

Hopefully this ends up rad. I've met the dude twice at bike events and he legitimately seems to have a real love for all motorcycles. I know a few people that build bikes that are trying to get on the show.

senahorse

Really liked this video they did last month: https://youtu.be/Fh88exSsQ-g

Great video, really encapsulates what I love about adventure riding, riding off and on the trail and seeing some amazing things and having fun all the way :). I really like this bike, it could be my next one. Bigger adventure bikes have put me off in the past because they are more road orientated than dirt, this on the other hand is built for off-road but like my WR it has a 6 speed gear box so highway cruising is perfectly doable.

In other news I went to go for a ride this morning and found a I had a dead battery (haven't ridden for a little while due to life getting in the way) so went down the local auto shop and they had CTEK XS 0.8 chargers on sale, so I bought 2 :D

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gaf, I finally installed a new Polini variator and Kevlar belt on my Ruckus. Combined with the Yoshimura exhaust and stripped components, I'm edging close to 50mph.

Question- will I experience relativistic effects above 48mph?

Flo_Evans

Carefull Stinkles once you break the 50mph barrier its like Event Horizon

NdAuU5v.jpg

Do you see what is left of my passenger?

I was taking pics of a charity bicycle ride when some dude totally ate it so I gave him a ride back to his car. Didn't notice he was bleeding like crazy all over my scoot :p

Wear gloves people!

Dougald

Glad to see you took it off road and dumped it, that means it's a true trail bike now! Most people would have just put in their garage and ridden it down to Starbucks twice a year

That fat rear tyre is great, reminds me of the Suzuki Van Van. A much bigger, cooler Suzuki Van Van.

Watevaman

Glad to see you took it off road and dumped it, that means it's a true trail bike now! Most people would have just put in their garage and ridden it down to Starbucks twice a year

That fat rear tyre is great, reminds me of the Suzuki Van Van. A much bigger, cooler Suzuki Van Van.

I wish I knew the VanVan was a thing. Seems they reintroduced it back in 2003 but it doesn't seem to be in the US. Luckily, we got the Yama TW200, but it's a shame cause the price is so high even on used ones.

Interesting topic I figured I'd post here. So, over the weekend I let about 4-5 people take my bike out and hit some trails. I didn't really have any worry since I trust the dudes I ride with. However one of my friends eventually told me "I don't know why you're being dumb and letting people ride your bike, I would never let anyone ride mine even on cement let alone dirt".

How do you guys feel about letting friends ride your bikes? Personally I don't care since that harley is a dirt bike in my eyes and I want my friends to have fun on it.

Watevaman

I swap bikes with my friends from time to time. I'll always let one friend ride it since he let me learn on his and he's very gentle with things. Certain friends that I know are a bit more rambunctious aren't allowed to.

Flo_Evans

Good friends I know will make it right if they break it, sure no problem. People that "used to ride" or I don't know very well no.

Kid with the trike got a raw deal :p

The trike is actually faster. Its due for a new battery so I I am thinking of upgrading it to 18v and really getting it moving.

Dougald

I have about 3 close friends who I'm happy to let ride my bike. I know if there were to be any damage that there would be no question of them paying for it, same as if I were to damage theirs.

Good friends I know will make it right if they break it, sure no problem. People that "used to ride" or I don't know very well no.

The trike is actually faster. Its due for a new battery so I I am thinking of upgrading it to 18v and really getting it moving.

Ah, are they both your kids?

Top Bottom