• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

The new xdiavel is certainly bold. Looks great though

Holy shit, they're actually going to produce that? It's beautiful.

I was thinking from the perspective of a fearful beginner such as I.

At that price, the 400 version doesn't make much sense sadly.

I did predict that Ducati probably doesn't go much cheaper than they did with the normal Scrambler. So I was right there, but then the question becomes, who are they going to sell these to?

Also, take some lessons and that MSF thing. Not sure how that goes over the States (what type of lessons you can choose), but even the standard Scrambler can't be an intimidating bike. Low seating position, high handlebars, not crazy powerful. You'll be fine.

Dougald

Holy shit, they're actually going to produce that? It's beautiful.

A snip at £15,795, though its absolutely gorgeous.

I did predict that Ducati probably doesn't go much cheaper than they did with the normal Scrambler. So I was right there, but then the question becomes, who are they going to sell these to?

I have no idea either. The Icon is so much better value, and according to a Visordown article I found, can be restricted down to A2 power. Were I a beginner I'd rather get the 800 and either restrict it or ride it as is, depending on my license

And here's another promo shot of the bike contending with the Multistrada to be my next ride. Still waiting on some pricing though Honda!

lHZtJRT.jpg

Dougald

That's basically the same price as the Honda CB650F as an example. That doesn't seem right. Hell the Harley Street 750 is only £5795!

Yeah, the Harley is a much better bet for an A2 license as there is also a restrictor kit. I just don't understand who will be buying the 400.

(Honda looking good as well btw, love the colors).

It clearly won't be as exciting as the Ducati, but it just looks great. Luckily I live near a combined Honda/Ducati dealership so I plan to test them both next year.

Watevaman

Got a video for you guys. This is from back in July or August, I think, right after I replaced my punctured rear. The "action" starts around 4:00 and the uphill section ends around 8:00. It's nothing special, just a nice road I like to go out to every now and again. I also want to say this is a closed course somewhere not on planet earth and also that I am in no way a professional or anything. Many of my habits are bad and I know that, but I strive to get better every ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39RVA66Y-lg

Apologies for the wind noise and the string bouncing around. I tied my suction cup mount to my grab handles in case it jiggled loose and didn't know about the flapping string until I got home.

Dougald

In that case Doug, I'm casting my vote for the Honda :D

Any particular reason out of curiosity?

On paper the Ducati is faster, handles better, has more features... but the Africa Twin is just iconic. I can't really put into words why I'd consider it over a Multistrada, but I would

Got a video for you guys. This is from back in July or August, I think, right after I replaced my punctured rear. The "action" starts around 4:00 and the uphill section ends around 8:00. It's nothing special, just a nice road I like to go out to every now and again. I also want to say this is a closed course somewhere not on planet earth and also that I am in no way a professional or anything. Many of my habits are bad and I know that, but I strive to get better every ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39RVA66Y-lg

Apologies for the wind noise and the string bouncing around. I tied my suction cup mount to my grab handles in case it jiggled loose and didn't know about the flapping string until I got home.

Damn you have some big wide open roads out there. That uphill section looked like great fun though, nothing like the satisfaction hooking that up just right

Any particular reason out of curiosity?

On paper the Ducati is faster, handles better, has more features... but the Africa Twin is just iconic. I can't really put into words why I'd consider it over a Multistrada, but I would

Well, I guess I'd rather have a new Honda for the price of a 4 year old Ducati. And I like the fact that the Africa Twin probably does have some actual off road capability. Also looks pretty great. Not necessarily that much less striking than the Multistrada. Especially in those colors.

Dougald

Estimated pricing on the new Triumph classic range from a nearby dealear:

Street Twin - approx £7,400
T120/Black - approx £9,800
Thruxton - approx £10,500
Thruxton R- approx £11,800

That makes the Street Twin virtually the same price as a Scrambler Icon, with the premium bikes carrying the more premium price. I think, Triumph fanboyism aside, I'd have the Ducati over the Street Twin.

Edit: and so passes the CBR600F3... down to a 1 bike garage again for a little while

nico1982

Never heard of this company or bike before
Blasphemy! :p

Benelli is the oldest motorcycle company in Europe. They were quite succesfull in racing until '70s but extremely unlucky financially, and a Chinese firm bought the company in the early 2000. Now they sell small displacement bikes on a budget, and enjoyed some success (the BN302 is among the Top 40 bikes in Italy).
Their new marketing policy is to reuse the most popular brands for the new bikes. And it is sad. Google up the Benelli Tornado and compare it with the two new bikes just announced at EICMA. At least the Leoncino, on paper, is head and shoulders above the Scrambler 400 :p

Dougald

Scramblers really are the newest fad in biking, aren't they? They're the new Cafe Racer.

I don't mean that in a bad way either, anything that brings new riders is fine by me (and the Retro fad is what brought me to biking)

Doubt anyone here is attending but I'll be at IMS this weekend. All of saturday and maybe sunday. My friend has a booth so I'll be hanging out with him. I'll make sure to take a good amount of photos.

Finally managed to convince someone near me to get a Buell as well. My dad bought this beauty last weekend:

img_20151121_165050cdbb5.jpg

2002 M2 Cyclone with the S1 tail conversion. Volcano Grey / Molten Orange.

Now I just need my friends to see the light as well, aye Scotch? :p

Dougald

Man, that orange paint is LOUD. I dig it though, it goes really well on a Buell.

Unfortunately we didn't get out to look at any bikes last weekend, but the wife did go see a GSF600 and a GSF650 today... she hates them. I think we are down to a naked SV650 (near impossible to find in the UK), a Deauville, or my dark horse choice of an older Monster 600... she is balking at the servicing costs on the Monster though.

Is it really that bad on a Monster though? The 916, sure, but an air cooled variant? Is it the intervals or is the actual service more expensive as well?

Dougald

It's the belt intervals (24 months) that are putting her off. I guess we could *possibly* do that ourselves but it's not a thing to screw up

Honestly I'm almost tired of working in her price range and thinking of just doubling her budget to £2000-3000 with my own money just to get a better class of bike in there. That would open up the Suzuki Gladius (SV650 successor), and maybe the Monster 696 which I think is much better on service intervals.

Would go with the prettier 696 in that case. Never rode the Gladius, but the 696 has excellent handling. Very manageable.

As for the intervals, that 24 months stuff is a bunch of nonsense if you ask me. As long as you ride it regularly. Just change them when they've done their miles. Big service on my Monster 1100s was 688 euro. Not bad at all imho (needs that every 12.000km), unless she's riding it daily.

y'all 'll have a laugh at my profligate ways (my peeps did, my wife less so, although this was with her approval), but i sold the modded scooter for a tidy profit and got this:

Rey06V9.jpg

2016 goose v7ii stone. got it as a demo bike for a chunk off (has a small ding in tank from shipping). souful little gent, and fun for backroads and city sportin'!

Dougald

My wife has a yellow shoei (not the neotec though, a GT Air) and it's actually a lot nicer in person if it's the same shade as hers. Bloody bright though, definitely not for everyone

y'all 'll have a laugh at my profligate ways (my peeps did, my wife less so, although this was with her approval), but i sold the modded scooter for a tidy profit and got this:

2016 goose v7ii stone. got it as a demo bike for a chunk off (has a small ding in tank from shipping). souful little gent, and fun for backroads and city sportin'!

Haha, somehow you're even worse than me. Congrats, looks like a lot of fun.

i have other helmets. this one's for commuting -- i need DAT UGLY to catch the eyes of seattle eastside commute twats!

I hear that.

Scotch

Finally managed to convince someone near me to get a Buell as well. My dad bought this beauty last weekend:

2002 M2 Cyclone with the S1 tail conversion. Volcano Grey / Molten Orange.

Now I just need my friends to see the light as well, aye Scotch? :p

Who knows. :p Definitely wanna test ride a XB12 Lightning some day.

Rizific

subbing. ive been wanting a motorcycle for some years now. i commute a lot as a part of my job, seeing a few patients in their homes a day. i bought a car earlier this year in january and it already has over 25k miles, with two months still left to hit that 1 year mark. for the days that i dont need to carry/deliver equipment or supplies to my patients, i plan to use the motorcycle. recently ive been loving the look of the yamaha r3, but a few years ago i was initially interested in the ninja 250. well today i happened to find a used 2014 ninja 300 abs with 27xx miles on it for $4500 but is currently on their year end sale for $4000. 300s are going for MINIMUM $4500 all the way up to $5500 on craigslist in my city and surrounding cities. i feel like this is a good deal and i should have bought it on the spot. i think i want to ride it for at least a year or until used R3s hit the market then sell the ninja at no loss and get the R3 that i want. what do you think gaf? this will be my first bike btw.

Dougald

The only thing I see going wrong with your plan is you may well want something bigger than that R3 in a year. Ninja 300 is the definitive American starter bike though so you'll be grand with it. Go for it.

Get a hayabusa

I think that's a bit slow for a first bike TBH. Plus it only weighs 584lbs wet, hardly anything

Scotch

The only thing I see going wrong with your plan is you may well want something bigger than that R3 in a year. Ninja 300 is the definitive American starter bike though so you'll be grand with it. Go for it.

Yeah, I rode a Honda CB1 / 400 for 2 years (which should be quite a bit faster than the R3), and by the second year I was getting pretty bored with it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I know there aren't many Harley fans here on GAF but I'll post this anyway. I recently traded in my 2011 Road Glide Ultra for a new 2016 RGU. I wasn't planning on trading in this soon but Harley's made lots of little improvements over the past few years that swayed my decision. I'll probably keep this one for at least a decade or 100,00 miles, whichever comes first.

Top Bottom