• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I know there aren't many Harley fans here on GAF but I'll post this anyway. I recently traded in my 2011 Road Glide Ultra for a new 2016 RGU. I wasn't planning on trading in this soon but Harley's made lots of little improvements over the past few years that swayed my decision. I'll probably keep this one for at least a decade or 100,00 miles, whichever comes first.

I love harleys. I'm just not a fan of touring bikes in general though. I've put something like 4k miles on my sportster in 3 months I've had it. Most fun I've had on a bike other than riding dirt bikes as a kid.

23007837550_ecc507e663_k.jpg

Friend caught me on the way to tacos last night.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Gaf, I finally installed a new Polini variator and Kevlar belt on my Ruckus. Combined with the Yoshimura exhaust and stripped components, I'm edging close to 50mph.

Question- will I experience relativistic effects above 48mph?

Welp, according to my GPS (Ruckus speedo only goes up to 40) my bike does at least 52-55mph. It was perfect conditions - flat, zero wind, maybe even a tailwind. Head down.

One day I might even take it over the 520 bridge (if traffic is super bad).

Dougald

I know there aren't many Harley fans here on GAF but I'll post this anyway. I recently traded in my 2011 Road Glide Ultra for a new 2016 RGU. I wasn't planning on trading in this soon but Harley's made lots of little improvements over the past few years that swayed my decision. I'll probably keep this one for at least a decade or 100,00 miles, whichever comes first.

I like Harleys, but I mostly like proper Harleys like yours, which unfortunately my bank account does not agree with (they do NOT depreciate used in the UK). If it's not far too large for European roads, with a huge comfortable seat and luggage, then it's not a Harley... unless its a Night Rod.

Love the colour btw

Not my thing, but I can appreciate it for sure. Does this have liquid cooling? (edit: kinda looks that way...)

Not my thing, but I can appreciate it for sure. Does this have liquid cooling? (edit: kinda looks that way...)

Looked it up myself... apparently it's 'twin cooled' meaning it uses oil and air on the engine block but coolant to the cylinder heads.

916lbs running is amazing to me. Have never ridden anything heavier than my SV650, which weighs in around 375lbs.

Dougald

916lbs running is amazing to me. Have never ridden anything heavier than my SV650, which weighs in around 375lbs.

My Pan European was 660lbs wet and that was bloody heavy enough, parking it was a pain in the arse (though you'd never know it was so heavy once it was moving). At least Harleys are quite low so I suspect you don't feel the weight so much.

Dougald

Here's a good write-up of the coming EU legislative changes for new motorcycles

1. Stricter emissions targets. This is kind of a joke because at least in the UK there is no emissions check at annual inspection, but hey, a step in the right direction
2. Standardised OBD connections for onboard computers, so screw you Ducati and your mandate to go to the dealer to switch off a service light
3. Mandatory ABS on all bikes over 125cc. No arguments from me on this as long as the rider can switch it off if need be.

img_20151126_1800031dswy.jpg

Quick ride with Scotch before stashing the bikes for winter. Roads didn't dry up entirely today, but we still had some fun.

(Congrats on the purchase btw Mengy, looks like a serious bit of kit.)

Dougald

Stashing the bikes for winter? Wimps!

(Of course I'll probably only take mine out once or twice and then have to spend an hour cleaning off the salt after)

Yeah, have to go to Amsterdam this evening and I'm already dreading the traffic I'll no doubt get stuck in. Not to mention the nearly 20 euro I'll have to pay for parking.

Sucks not being able to use the bikes. Maybe I should get like a Diversion 900, cover it in that stuff you mentioned earlier and just have something to ride in winter.

Dougald

I'm off to look at some bikes this weekend with the Missus. Hoping what we get won't be too far away as guess who will have to ride it home in the cold. Maxheadwound would be pleased as she is tempted with the idea of getting a boxer BMW now.. just depends what there is for sale.

ACF-50 is what you need with the salt. America's greatest gift to motorcycling. The 900 diversion has a shaft drive right? That would be perfect for this time of year.

Dougald

So, after weeks of wrangling she finally put a deposit down on a new bike. Well out of her budget but within what I said I'd cover.

2002 BMW R1150R Rockster. Done a lot of miles (42k) but it's pretty clean, and those boxer twins go forever. She agreed with the colour.

Pricing just announced. £10499 for Africa Twin, and £11299 for the DCT version. http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/honda-africa-twin-price-revealed/28543.html

Pricier than I thought, but that would still put a 1 year old/ex demo in range in a years time...

So, after weeks of wrangling she finally put a deposit down on a new bike. Well out of her budget but within what I said I'd cover.

2002 BMW R1150RT Rockster. Done a lot of miles (42k) but it's pretty clean, and those boxer twins go forever. She agreed with the colour.

Hey, congratulate her for me. That is a great choice. Excellent color :D.

/edit: plus, I see the loud pipe is already fitted. Very good :p

Dougald

Just went to Motorcycle Live at Birmingham NEC, some pics:

I didn't get a photo of the new Africa twin because it was mobbed, but I did sit on it. It's a lovely bike... but I think the Multistrada is nicer. Especially as I can actually get both feet down on the newer Multistrada (with the low seat fitted)

/edit: plus, I see the loud pipe is already fitted. Very good :p

Haha, it's the road legal, baffled pipe rather than the race one. It sounds really really nice, not too loud, just a bit throatier. Even I think the stock R1150 pipes are a bit quiet.

Rizific

So I did it. 2015 Ninja 300 base with 1800 miles, $4800 out the door. No license or gear yet, so I won't get to ride it until probably January.

Watevaman

Nice looking bike, congrats!

I know the urge to ride it will be high, but wait until you get all that gear and take your time learning the ropes. Pretty soon you'll be having a blast.

Rizific

thanks all. not a fan of the green myself, but thats easily fixed. the dealer is closed on sunday and monday, so ill be taking delivery on tuesday or wednesday. anyway, i want to talk about helmets. so i went to my local cycle gear to try on a bunch of gear and when it came to helmets, the guy working with me seemed to be pushing a sedici strada on me after telling him my budget of $300. i came home to look it up and discovered that the sedici brand is cycle gear's in house brand. not that i have anything against that, but google search turned up basically nothing other than various threads stating that its cycle gear's brand.

now i went to another dealer and tried on a bunch of bell's, hjc, scorpions, and a shoei rf1200. and while the others felt ok (i guess) the shoei felt noticeably better. so ive decided on the rf1200. BUT revzilla currently has the shoei x-12 on sale for $400 which puts it $100 cheaper than the regular retail price of the rf1200. is this a no-brainer buy over the rf1200?

My Pan European was 660lbs wet and that was bloody heavy enough, parking it was a pain in the arse (though you'd never know it was so heavy once it was moving). At least Harleys are quite low so I suspect you don't feel the weight so much.

my thunderbird 1700 is nearly 750 lbs wet, but it doesn't feel like it -- it handles better in parking lots and u-turns than my veefer did.

Makki

So I did it. 2015 Ninja 300 base with 1800 miles, $4800 out the door. No license or gear yet, so I won't get to ride it until probably January.

after you ride it for a bit, get an aftermarket slip on and watch yourself fall in love with it again, it's really awesome cheap fun.

Nuova

Banned
thanks all. not a fan of the green myself, but thats easily fixed. the dealer is closed on sunday and monday, so ill be taking delivery on tuesday or wednesday. anyway, i want to talk about helmets. so i went to my local cycle gear to try on a bunch of gear and when it came to helmets, the guy working with me seemed to be pushing a sedici strada on me after telling him my budget of $300. i came home to look it up and discovered that the sedici brand is cycle gear's in house brand. not that i have anything against that, but google search turned up basically nothing other than various threads stating that its cycle gear's brand.

now i went to another dealer and tried on a bunch of bell's, hjc, scorpions, and a shoei rf1200. and while the others felt ok (i guess) the shoei felt noticeably better. so ive decided on the rf1200. BUT revzilla currently has the shoei x-12 on sale for $400 which puts it $100 cheaper than the regular retail price of the rf1200. is this a no-brainer buy over the rf1200?
The rf1200 is street oriented helmet that focuses on comfort. The X-12 is Shoei's race helmet which focuses on aerodynamics. I'd personally go with the X-12 because I would use it on the track. For just commuting rf1200. Can't go wrong with either, both world class helmets!

Really though, a $100 HJC is just as safe as a $400+ helmet sans Snell.

Edit: I recommend keeping away from cycle gear's brands Sedici and Bilt, they're not good :/

2002 BMW R1150R Rockster. Done a lot of miles (42k) but it's pretty clean, and those boxer twins go forever. She agreed with the colour.

Pricier than I thought, but that would still put a 1 year old/ex demo in range in a years time...

Grats to her on the new bike... I hope it gives her loads of fun miles.

Yeah, it's funny how the ones on the side always look awesome, but the one on the top is just ghastly.

So tell me... what did you think of the 1150cc twin :D?

Looks very clean btw!

a nice shot of le tigre 800xc from a couple weeks back

KDtWumM.jpg

As does this one, you ever ride it? :D

Congratulations! Good luck with getting your license.

This morning I drop a 50 pence into the air pump at the BP on my way and the nozzle did not seal properly so it deflated my tyres. Had to fight with the rude lady to get my money back. Now I am sitting with a front tyre that is 1.6 bar and a rear that is 2.3 bar. Off to the shops to get a foot pump as the bike rides like a dog

Dougald

This morning I drop a 50 pence into the air pump at the BP on my way and the nozzle did not seal properly so it deflated my tyres. Had to fight with the rude lady to get my money back. Now I am sitting with a front tyre that is 1.6 bar and a rear that is 2.3 bar. Off to the shops to get a foot pump as the bike rides like a dog

UK petrol station compressors are the worst. One day I'll get a decent electric compressor for home...

Yeah, it's funny how the ones on the side always look awesome, but the one on the top is just ghastly.

So tell me... what did you think of the 1150cc twin :D?

Looks very clean btw!

The 1150 boxer is very fun. It's definitely not fast, but neither is it slow.. more like "adequate". The power is always there, but it's never in a big hurry to get to you - torque is where the fun is on that engine for sure. The exhausts add just a little more bass and it sounds lovely when moving, I'll try and get a video sometime this week

It is very clean.. some of the engine paint has worn away but that should be easy to touch up as its black, the paintwork itself is perfect. Previous two owners were very meticulous in their servicing and record-keeping, we have everything down to the original BMW sales brochure.

Yeah, I tried a 1200 (GS) once and you got the sense that the engine needed to kind of spin up first and then the torque would come on. Made for a very pleasant ride though.

nico1982

UK petrol station compressors are the worst. One day I'll get a decent electric compressor for home...
Eh, petrol station compressors are useless 99% of the time everywhere. The problem is that people are careless with somebody else stuff. The only decent ones I found were electronic ones on the spanish highways.

I use a cheap bicycle hand pump with integrated gauge (it goes up to 5-6 bar, IIRC) and a simple metal "pen" gauge to confirm zero once in a while. The pump is still accurate after five years.

Yep, I use the same setup. Was afraid the indicator on the pump would be way off, but I recently got one of those pen gauges too and they both indicate the same pressure... Plus the bikes feel alright.

Dougald

I'm just waiting for Lidl to do a cheap air compressor again. Though I think I'd splash out and get a pressure gauge for it that wasn't built by the cheapest bidder

Oh I almost forgot, if anyone in the UK wants a free motorcycle HPI check I have one left and can run it for you, just PM me.

Just used one guys double action Halfords foot pump. All sorted. I have a 12v one at home but was lazy to get it out last night. A bike foot pump might be the way forward.

Rizific

took delivery of her today. rode it up and down my street for awhile. first time on a bike, but got the hang of it pretty quickly. ill stick to riding in circles around my culdesac until i take the msf.

took delivery of her today. rode it up and down my street for awhile. first time on a bike, but got the hang of it pretty quickly. ill stick to riding in circles around my culdesac until i take the msf.

Very nice looking machine. It does look great in white. Almost the same lights as the Honda car. Enjoy

Very nice. My wife is looking at the Ninja 300 (she likes the green and the black though). I'm looking at the 650 myself. Both super fun bikes to ride.

I'm always jealous seeing such big garages too.

Lovely day today for riding around Kent. Brisk but dry and sunny.

Probably the last decent ride till the spring so I picked up a battery tender, and while I was there got a power adaptor for my GPS so I can finally get that installed properly and ready for next year.

Saturday fettling sorted.

Bike went in for a quick check up on saturday. Enjoyed some nice coffee from the new machine. They checked the brakes and gearbox and updated the firmware of the bike.

All checked out perfect.

Ready for the winter

Dougald

Max, are you heading to the BMW Maidenhead showroom re-launch/hog roast on Saturday?

Might head down with the wife if the weather is acceptable, look for the bright yellow R1150R

Top Bottom