• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Looks cool

sVgrRRh.jpg

nico1982

omksewol.jpg

First (short) ride of the new year! Not very sunny, 6-7 °C and quite humid, but the we had almost 15 °C in november, so I cannot complain.

Don't mind the indecent parking, there was literally no one around and I stopped there just the time to take the pic :p

omksewol.jpg

First (short) ride of the new year! Not very sunny, 6-7 °C and quite humid, but the we had almost 15 °C in november, so I cannot complain.

Don't mind the indecent parking, there was literally no one around and I stopped there just the time to take the pic :p

This is a nice shot by the way, where do you live?

Dougald

Looking nice!

I hate this time of year, I just can't bring myself to go through the effort of gearing up and then cleaning the bike afterwards, all to go out and get soaked/frozen. My Street Triple is sat firmly in the garage until March I reckon.

Ezalc

Looks cool

sVgrRRh.jpg

What model is that?

Anyway, I don't have a motorcycle, though the want for one is increasing in the past few months. Thing is that the model I most like is the Harley Davidson Iron 883, I just find that shape really nice and since I don't care for speed it seems to be a good motorcycle for traveling. Then again I'm a complete beginner with these things so I could be horribly wrong, something like that wouldn't be bad for a beginner right? I honestly don't even care for the brand I'd just want a model with that shape.

I use the bike every day on my trip to work as the traffic is just doing me nut in. I would love to use the car but at 10pound for a days parking and free bike parking it does not make sense. How is the wifes BM doing?

Dougald

The Harley 883 or Street models are both fine choices as beginner bikes if you've had some lessons, they're light (for the class) and not over powered

If you are married to the style there is also the 800 Triumph Bonneville, Ducati Scrambler, Kawasaki w800 and Guzzi V7 to consider which are all classically styled standard bikes.

How is the wifes BM doing?

Sat in the garage mostly I'm afraid! She doesn't like to ride when it's dark out so won't be commuting until March I expect. Just got most of what I need to service it in though as it needs doing

What model is that?

Anyway, I don't have a motorcycle, though the want for one is increasing in the past few months. Thing is that the model I most like is the Harley Davidson Iron 883, I just find that shape really nice and since I don't care for speed it seems to be a good motorcycle for traveling. Then again I'm a complete beginner with these things so I could be horribly wrong, something like that wouldn't be bad for a beginner right? I honestly don't even care for the brand I'd just want a model with that shape.

Its a custom from some guy... looks awesome what they do with the bikes

What model is that?

That was an R-NineT at one point (BMW).

Harleys aren't the best handling bikes due to odd geometries, weight and wheel sizes (large front wheel looks cool but serves no purpose), but you'll probably get used to it quickly and the engine is an absolute blast, so you're pretty much guaranteed to have fun regardless of its other qualities.

Makki

Did rear wheel bearings this weekend and they were absolutely fucked. Weeping rust and the seals all bubbled up. No idea how old they were since I bought the bike used with 38,000 miles but here they are:

If anyone wants to tackle this job in the future I recommend buying a bearing puller from ebay, they only cost 39.99 and made the job really easy. For pressing the new ones in I just used a hammer and a big socket to beat the outer lip.

Did rear wheel bearings this weekend and they were absolutely fucked. Weeping rust and the seals all bubbled up. No idea how old they were since I bought the bike used with 38,000 miles but here they are:

If anyone wants to tackle this job in the future I recommend buying a bearing puller from ebay, they only cost 39.99 and made the job really easy. For pressing the new ones in I just used a hammer and a big socket to beat the outer lip.

I can think, I had to do this on a boat trailer a few years ago and it was more swearing than fixing. At least its done now.

Dougald

I changed the swingarm bearings on my Pan European... It was then I decided to just pay a shop to do any other bearing change, it was indeed mostly cursing

Trickytoon

Neo Member
I changed the swingarm bearings on my Pan European... It was then I decided to just pay a shop to do any other bearing change, it was indeed mostly cursing

Same here - changing head bearings on a 25 year old bike (and by the state of them, 25 year old head bearings) nearly made me want to give it all up. Having said that it was a walk in the park compared to the water pump on a Pan European!!

I read in the new MCN that the new Honda Africa Twin is getting some good write ups. Really good price and a great all round bike.

Might have to go and test ride one when the dust has settled.

Dougald

I'm still going to take the Africa Twin for a ride. It's a good looking bike at a reasonable price, I'm just worried that parallel twin is a bit underpowered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoA0ftZNO3o Good little video from BMW on the RnineT scrambler. I love the way it looks, and know it's supposed to be a "cheap" RnineT, but I'm a little disappointed they went the Triumph route of not including a rev counter on the base model. For my money I would probably get the R1200R though, as it's better equipped for similar money

I'm still going to take the Africa Twin for a ride. It's a good looking bike at a reasonable price, I'm just worried that parallel twin is a bit underpowered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoA0ftZNO3o Good little video from BMW on the RnineT scrambler. I love the way it looks, and know it's supposed to be a "cheap" RnineT, but I'm a little disappointed they went the Triumph route of not including a rev counter on the base model. For my money I would probably get the R1200R though, as it's better equipped for similar money

On the R1200R you can change the screen view and I am riding it without the rev counter. If you ride a boxster you sort of know by sound when to change. But then again you can drop it back on the other mode if you want to do some track days. I just wish mine had a bit more off road use as I would like to go and explore a bit of the gravel paths if I come across one. So this might be a nice easy to ride bike. But we will have to see.

Currently I am using the bike to sit in traffic to work and back. I would like to have a slimmer bike to filter more. The new speed triple looks great for that and it sounds awesome same as the new duc monster 821

Dougald

Well, I had the base model Bonneville which also lacks a rev counter and to be honest I didn't need it, but in 2016 we should really get one as standard. The RnineT scrambler does look very premium in other respects though, at least, more so than Ducati's Scrambler

You're right about filtering on a boxer, forget about it anywhere but the motorway I expect! The new Speed Triple certainly does look nice, though I think the Street Triple is actually better at lower speeds. If only the Tiger Sport wasn't so ugly it would be a perfect upgrade for both of us.

Well, I had the base model Bonneville which also lacks a rev counter and to be honest I didn't need it, but in 2016 we should really get one as standard. The RnineT scrambler does look very premium in other respects though, at least, more so than Ducati's Scrambler

You're right about filtering on a boxer, forget about it anywhere but the motorway I expect! The new Speed Triple certainly does look nice, though I think the Street Triple is actually better at lower speeds. If only the Tiger Sport wasn't so ugly it would be a perfect upgrade for both of us.

I also had my eye on the new 2016 Duke R 690. Looks awesome and would be a great fun bike but most of the guys are complaining that its vibrating as hell.. but I hope that is the 2015 model and not the new 2016 model. It would be great if BMW does a nice fun hooligan bike 800 cc.

Dougald

Well, the KTM is a big single so I'm not sure how much they could fix the vibrations... it is a great looking bike though. If I were getting another Naked, I'd probably go for a Ducati Monster or the Yamaha MT-09. I'd love a Super Duke but it's probably a bit much power-wise. Premier Bikes up in Didcot are pretty good if you are in the market for the KTM, it's where we bought the R1150.

I really want to ride a africa twin. I suspect I will still like the KTM better but its $4k less...

Yeah, the price Honda has set it at is a steal for what you're getting. Unlike the rest of Honda's current lineup it actually looks exciting too. I really love the style of it, they could so easily have copied everyone else but they have sort of gone their own way with the bike

Pictured: best colour

Made it through the first season on my 250. I understand what people mean when they say you tire of it, but I'm glad to have made my minor mistakes on it. I'm pretty excited to see what it feels like to be on something with a bit more acceleration later this year

MutFox

Banned
Currently looking for a womans helmet for my GF, though it seems there's not as much choice.
If the size is available, there shouldn't be any difference with getting a mans helmet right?

nico1982

Currently looking for a womans helmet for my GF, though it seems there's not as much choice.
If the size is available, there shouldn't be any difference with getting a mans helmet right?
Shape is important too. There are no women specific helmets that I'm aware off, but women have usually rounder heads than men, so narrow shaped helmets are a tough fit. Webbikeworld is one of the very few sites that attempts to include shape informations in their reviews. It might provide some useful information.

The best will be to go to a shop with a wide range and just trying them on. There are many differences in shape, weight and comfort and then the price.

Try and get her a full face as they are much lighter and you will have more choice as a start.

I have a motto, good helmet as I only have one head.

Yup, usually there's one or two brands of helmet that fit a person better than others. Trick is to find those brands, so go to a shop that has many and try a bunch of them on. It should be a pretty snug fit (little to no movement) but not uncomfortably so. Good luck!

oooh ooh I have been youtubing the last week and the sound of a street triple is looking better and better. That is for what I use the bike.

This is the problem with when the weather is to cold to ride I start looking at other bike. lol

Dougald

The old one with cool round headlights or the newer nasty bug-eye headlights?
I may be a little bit biased as I own an original style bike

Seriously though, I've ridden them both and there isn't a whole lot of difference. First gear is a bit taller on the newer model (though it was tall already), and the lack of an underseat exhaust, while less cool, is quite literally cooler in the summer. Mine is unrideable at low speeds during heatwaves. Bloody terrible bike to have in the winter though, it has no protection whatsoever. The R is a little bit taller, and on balance I think it's probably worth it for the 4-pot brakes, though the 2-pot calipers on mine are perfectly serviceable.

I really like the styling of the 2016 Speed Triple, with the slightly less aggressive lights. Not sure why you'd need the extra power though, that 675 is plenty quick at anywhere near legal speeds.

PuSn0YG.jpg

Top Bottom