• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Bloody terrible bike to have in the winter though, it has no protection whatsoever.

Myeah, though the difference between a naked and most other bikes that do have some wind protection is still minute. When you're out on a bike in winter, you're going to be cold, no matter what.

Dougald

If you Rev it up at the lights for a bit the underseat exhaust warms you up... Not really practical though

I am only a little way off my savings target for buying a multistrada... The bad news is we need to do some renovation work in the house, so looks like it'll be 2017 before I replace the street triple. I'm still testing the Africa twin but I have all but decided on buying a 2010-2012 1200S Touring at this point

nico1982

I really like the styling of the 2016 Speed Triple, with the slightly less aggressive lights. Not sure why you'd need the extra power though, that 675 is plenty quick at anywhere near legal speeds.
The difference in torque makes for a totally different ride, especially in the mountains, or on higher gears and/or with a passenger. You end up using the gearbox a lot less too. This last point might NOT be a plus.

I hoped for Triumph to ditch the underseat exhausts on the new Speed at the last minute, but it is still a (pricey) accessory. Much worse is their choice to shrink the tank to 15 liters. When your "supernaked" is undergunned in every aspect of the engine department, mileage might be a selling point.

Dougald

Use the gearbox LESS? I generally change up to second, get to whatever speed I want, then bosh up the rest of the gears once I'm at cruising speed

I guess if you are doing lots of miles it comes into its own though. Except apparently not with that abysmal tank size. Great engine though, if only the Tiger Sport were less "visually challenged" it would be up there for my new ride... I have been spoilt by the torque in my 675.

Its really for what you want to use the bike and everyone has different needs.

I have a big bike and like the torque but I do not really use it in the traffic I get stuck in every day. If I could be riding sunny cool open road or mountain passes every day then yes. But currently its no need. The Speed Triple is just a great bike and has won best bike here in the UK for a few years now.

We will see... I am also keeping my eye on that new KTM duke r the 690cc. Maybe a bit of a hooligan bike would be good.

Buell, just get a Buell. Any Buell.

I rented a Buell for a day and had great fun. Its a perfect second bike as it look awesome, sounds awesome but loves to cook your balls on mild days. lol

QRWUA6C.jpg

Ahasverus

Hey guys I'm a complete newbie and I'm about to drive for the first time, and because gaf has the best answer for everything I wanted to ask you what kind of gloves and helmet are the best? I live in a tropical country so no mega cold protection is needed, I'm more concerned about falls and, god forbid, hits.

Dougald

The best helmet is the anything that fits properly, full-face. If it's safety approved you're basically paying extra money for comfort and ventilation. If you don't know how to fit a helmet correctly, buy one from a shop that does.

For gloves full gauntlets are safest but as you're in a tropical country I'd probably go for some short, lightweight perforated leather gloves. I'm a big sucker for Dainese gear but they are expensive so that would depend on your budget. Something with hard armour in it is nice. What about jacket, boots and trousers?

Ahasverus

The best helmet is the anything that fits properly, full-face. If it's safety approved you're basically paying extra money for comfort and ventilation. If you don't know how to fit a helmet correctly, buy one from a shop that does.

For gloves full gauntlets are safest but as you're in a tropical country I'd probably go for some short, lightweight perforated leather gloves. I'm a big sucker for Dainese gear but they are expensive so that would depend on your budget. Something with hard armour in it is nice. What about jacket, boots and trousers?
Thx! No need for the last as I'm riding in a suit :p I know it's not the safest thing but I'll be sure to get some when I go in my first road trip. So anxious.

Rizific

So I've been in Hawaii for the past few weeks and there are tons of riders (mopeds and motorcycles) riding without helmets. My cousin says that everyone is required to wear them, but no one does. I cringe every time I see one without a helmet. Like, WHY?

Been looking around for another bike. I still have the guzzi and I'm still ripping up trails on my harley but I kind of want something I can carry another person + camping stuff on. Then I saw this today.

Dyna chassis, mid controls, 110 ci engine, two-into-two exhaust. Dual disc brakes up front. Sort of an odd size tire out back — a 160/70-17 bias-ply, and then up front you get a more conventional 100/90-19. ABS is standard. Those tires are wrapped around gold aluminum wheels.The big 110 engine produces a claimed 115 foot-pounds of peak torque at 3500 rpm (a 13-percent bump from the standard Low Rider’s 103). A heavy-duty clutch puts the power to the ground via a six-speed Cruise Drive transmission. Out back, those twin shocks are nitrogen-gas charged Premium Ride units, while a cartridge fork resides up front.

Unfortunately the price tag is fucking horrendous

This Low Rider will set you back $16,699

Probably 19 / 20 grand with taxes?

Dougald

I quite like that Harley in all-black with gold rims, very stylish. Unfortunately price is what kills them in Europe for me altogether, except for the Street 750 which is very competitively priced, I guess due to different import costs as they are not made in the US.

Just 2 weeks until the London Motorcycle show... hoping to get a look at the new Speed Triple, and another gander at the Africa Twin.

I quite like that Harley in all-black with gold rims, very stylish. Unfortunately price is what kills them in Europe for me altogether, except for the Street 750 which is very competitively priced, I guess due to different import costs as they are not made in the US.

Just 2 weeks until the London Motorcycle show... hoping to get a look at the new Speed Triple, and another gander at the Africa Twin.

The Twin is in the shops as far I know. That show should be great. I usually go to the NEC one.

Damaged

Well the insurance finally paid out on my stolen Aprilia, got £4250 out of them which is pretty good considering I'd put 60,000 plus miles on it in the last four years.

Decided to get a cheap little runner as a fix up project so got a tidy (ish) 93 Honda CB400 super four for a grand and I'm doing it up peice by peice.

So far I've ordered some new custom hagon rear shocks, a set of progressive front springs with a thicker oil, new clocks with a kph to mph conversion (it's a Japanese import so no mph speedos), braided brake hoses, pirelli diablo rosso 2's, a new seat cover (had a horrible blue pleather seat) and a little bubble screen for the clocks. Needless to say I'm making the most of having trade accounts through work hahaha.

Will post pics as I get on with the work and parts start arriving :D

Well the insurance finally paid out on my stolen Aprilia, got £4250 out of them which is pretty good considering I'd put 60,000 plus miles on it in the last four years.

Decided to get a cheap little runner as a fix up project so got a tidy (ish) 93 Honda CB400 super four for a grand and I'm doing it up peice by peice.

So far I've ordered some new custom hagon rear shocks, a set of progressive front springs with a thicker oil, new clocks with a kph to mph conversion (it's a Japanese import so no mph speedos), braided brake hoses, pirelli diablo rosso 2's, a new seat cover (had a horrible blue pleather seat) and a little bubble screen for the clocks. Needless to say I'm making the most of having trade accounts through work hahaha.

Will post pics as I get on with the work and parts start arriving :D

Great stuff, keep us posted with photos when you get time

Damaged

Great stuff, keep us posted with photos when you get time

Will do mate, re-covered the seat today which took about four hours and I ran out of light before I could take a picture of the seat on the bike. I'm pretty happy with the results considering I've never tried it before.

So following my thread on getting back in the saddle, I've just bought my first bike in over a decade.

Tried out a few before getting on this and just felt confident as hell on the thing, after not riding for so long I feel I need something I feel safe with until I get my mojo back. Really easy ride. Figure I'll use it for a couple of years until I'm off my P's and then look at something a little bigger, possibly a Triumph Scrambler or Bonneville.

Anyway model is Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS cafe with extended reach pegs and seat. Same 650cc parallel twin as the Ninja. Getting it delivered on Tuesday. Very excited!

sooguzb0.vz3_.jpg

Dougald

Nice! Parallel twins tend to be very forgiving so you should be very happy with it. We expect some real pics when you pick it up!

Damaged

Very nice looking Bike zorlaczerohero, look forward to seeing pics of it when you pick it up :)

Right, a few quick phone pictures of the bike and progress so far.

This is just after I got it, note the horrible blue seat

Stripped the seat, removing sooo many staples, looks like whenever its been re-covered they hadn't bothered to do the job. It took about two and a half hours to get them all off in the end.

After lots of swearing and wasted staples this was the end result, its far from perfect but considering I havent done this before I'm pretty proud

Looks pretty good on the bike and I think that the bike looks much better for what was a very small job really

Next job is to pick up new fasteners for the rear suspension, and to try and get the new Hagon shocks fitted tomorrow

Dougald

That is a nice solid job. How did you cover the grab handle (or did you not have to, I can't quite tell if it's blue in the before picture or not)

Damaged

Thanks all, it actually came with a new grab handle which saved allot of work. The whole thing cost me £66 including the tools for the job

Dougald

That's about £15 less than I paid to have my ST1100 seat reshaped, and they didn't even re-cover it! Would have been twice what you paid for a re-cover, so well worth doing it yourself unless you want something more fancy

Damaged

Looks great, that CB400. Looks a bit beefier than the CB1. Twin disc brakes as well I see. Any other big differences?

Thanks, I think there was a few minor engine changes, it went to twin from mono shock, and the obvious styling differences. Think it was part of the re design of the CB1000 at the time

That's about £15 less than I paid to have my ST1100 seat reshaped, and they didn't even re-cover it! Would have been twice what you paid for a re-cover, so well worth doing it yourself unless you want something more fancy

Yeah I spoke to a few places nearby and it was twice the cost with them having the seat for a week minimum. It's my only mode of transport so that wasnt an option, plus I have spent more than I probably should have on new suspension and a new Bell Bullitt helmet haha

Dougald

It sounds like Triumph will unveil a new Tiger Sport at the London Motorcycle show next week.. would be good to see it in the flesh. If they've managed to make it less ugly I wouldn't mind trading up to one of those

Wolfe

Picked up some used Vortex clip ons today to replace the stock ones after I slightly bent the left handlebar, I still need to get stands before I mess with that. Why did those things have to be so easy to sell when I didn't have a bike :(

On another note watched Kick Ass 2 again today, forgot how much I like the look of those Panigales.

50F and sunny here in Maine today in February, unheard of, going to get the SV650 out again. Sadly dealer has not taken possession of new bikes for the year just yet, was hoping to get some early test rides in...

Dougald

I like the tasteful amounts of green, it looks really nice. I like the more modern trend with cruisers

Just took the bike out for the first time this year and it's not too bad. Roll on spring...

Where do you live? Looks nice out. Bike as well!

Blue Mountains, about 90 minutes outside Sydney. Great place to ride, wonderful views after every turn, but also a lot of weekender car and bike users who think it's a race track! When I get setup with a camera I'll record a short ride around my area.

OraleeWey

GAF thinking of joining "2wheels". I've been heavily looking at the Kawasaki KLR650 2015/2016. Especially the camo one.
f8df695f-40bc-45fc-80cd-6b7bec7a1e42.jpg

I'll be using it as a commuter bike in NOVA (Northern Virginia). I can't wait. I'm still deciding but I've got a lot more to research. If I do choose to get this bike I'll be getting the proper gear. Most likely overpants/overjackers. I'm just not sure if they'll also work for winter riding as well?

Edit: What do you guys with some experience think of the KLR650? I know it does a lot of things, it just doesn't do anything in particular well. But people who ride them, Love them.

Dougald

I've not ridden one but they seem like the perfect beginner adventure bike. Simple, slowish and rugged as anything. Lots of people swear by the KLR

I suppose the other option in that class would be one of the smaller BMW GS models, but the KLR sounds great

My exhaust has a plate and ring that mounts onto the back of my transmission. Twice the plate has snapped in half from pressure but last week from what I can tell the plate came off of the transmission and was hanging down off the exhaust. I was doing some hard braking in traffic last week from 70 mph when I heard a sound like a gunshot and felt the bike jolt. It looks like it that plate hit a joint in the road and flew off. I'm really lucky it gave so easily. After that I searched around and it seems like its pretty common and most people just go without the mounts. I should have searched sooner. I bought 3 of those fuckers after each one broke at $50 a piece.

OraleeWey

I've not ridden one but they seem like the perfect beginner adventure bike. Simple, slowish and rugged as anything. Lots of people swear by the KLR

I suppose the other option in that class would be one of the smaller BMW GS models, but the KLR sounds great
I don't know much about BMW. But the KLR seems to be perfect for me,I think. I'm tall, 6 foot 0 inches. I also weigh 220-225lbs. I'm hoping I can lose those extra lbs to get to 200. But anyway, this motorcycle has me hooked. Been watching videos non stop. Other notable mentions is the DRZ400.

I know the KLR is a tall and a heavy bike. I don't know how that would translate to me considering it will be my first motorcycle ever. But I finally want to "ride". I'm hoping it would make my commuting much better. U should mention it's only 11 miles tops. 4 miles out of highway and about 7 miles highway. Only problem is that I do have to face traffic. I was originally considering the Ninja 250cc, but I don't really want a sport bike. Ehh, idk, I'd prefer a dual sport. Even though 90% of the time my tires will be on pavement. Unless I feel like being adventurous.

Edit: I only wish I knew someone who rode so they could teach me. Otherwise I'll have to teach myself.

Top Bottom