• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

JayDub

Got a close call tonight while coming to work..in LA traffic no less. It was a mild tank slapper. Thankfully, I recalled being in a MAJOR tank slapper while on the course a couple years back. For those that do not know what a tank slapper is, its when the front wheels go haywire, shaking uncontrollably. For those that do know what Im talking about, you know how scary your first time is. Think fishtailing is bad? Hell, think dropping is bad? You havent been in a tank slapper. Its a combination of panic, hopelessness and an uncontrollable handle. If in a major one, there's very little you can do. But since this was a mild one...

I remembered that I need to relax my arm and center my weight, letting it correct itself. Making extra sure Im not putting too much weight to the back and especially to the front. "Don't fight it" I kept repeating to myself. "It'll only get worse." Easy to say, hard in practice. Sometimes you can't control panic. Your natural instincts tell you to hold on to the handlebars tighter, tightening your grip and your arms to try to straighten the bars and prevent falling.

It seemed like it was an eternity, and worse, I was splitting at the time it happened. Luckily I kept my line and didnt hit anyone, and people were nice enough to move their car to the opposite side of the lane when they saw me coming. The bike eventually stabilized but I was pretty shaken.

What are some of 2WG's close calls?

JayDub said:
Got a close call tonight while coming to work..in LA traffic no less. It was a mild tank slapper. Thankfully, I recalled being in a MAJOR tank slapper while on the course a couple years back. For those that do not know what a tank slapper is, its when the front wheels go haywire, shaking uncontrollably. For those that do know what Im talking about, you know how scary your first time is. Think fishtailing is bad? Hell, think dropping is bad? You havent been in a tank slapper. Its a combination of panic, hopelessness and an uncontrollable handle. If in a major one, there's very little you can do. But since this was a mild one...

I remembered that I need to relax my arm and center my weight, letting it correct itself. Making extra sure Im not putting too much weight to the back and especially to the front. "Don't fight it" I kept repeating to myself. "It'll only get worse." Easy to say, hard in practice. Sometimes you can't control panic. Your natural instincts tell you to hold on to the handlebars tighter, tightening your grip and your arms to try to straighten the bars and prevent falling.

It seemed like it was an eternity, and worse, I was splitting at the time it happened. Luckily I kept my line and didnt hit anyone, and people were nice enough to move their car to the opposite side of the lane when they saw me coming. The bike eventually stabilized but I was pretty shaken.

Damn, what caused it?

The closest shaves I can think of were things like it was a grey day and I turned onto a major road without seeing a car coming quickly, luckily the guy switched lanes in time to avoid me. Or I was on a long sweeping curve in a lane with street car tracks I was trying to avoid and couldn't maintain the tight angle & nearly went into the next lane sideswiping another car. Or once I signalled and tried to switched lanes while some guy in a Dodge Ram didn't see me and came barrelling up behind me at like 100 kmph and nearly hit me. I notice guys in pickups driving like huge jackasses seems to be a theme. The other two were my fault though, in hindsight I was really lucky not to get hit. *Knock on wood*

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Benjillion said:
Brammo_Enertiabike.jpg

Yeah, I said it. 8 grand, freeway legal, and no gas. Works for me.
I want the low end Roehr electric motorcycle coming out this year. They're probably going to cost an arm and a leg though. I'll have to wait for the price to drop.

roehr_1250sc.jpg

The ION looks pretty hot too but it's just a prototype.

ion_tom_bike_see1.jpg

LiveFromKyoto said:
Really? I'd always heard BMWs were rock solid. They must be slipping. Do you know what model he had?

Both bikes he owns/had owned were the R1100S. One of them died. They were both from late 90's/around 2000. The newer stuff is just complaints from other owners. I don't think he's going to bother with BMW anymore ,especially as he mostly just rides his RC51 now (and is eying the VFR). I think that, in general, BMWs are still built pretty solid, but if something does go wrong (which can really happen to any bike) or is wonky and just doesn't work as it should, many a time BMW is hesitant to provide warranty service. A lot of their first-year models are said to have glitches/bugs in them, which is often true of many bikes, however Big Four race replicas are one of the safest bets in my experience. One of the biggest I've read about was their F series ABS system when it first was introduced. So really, you'll end up getting a bike that wont necessarily be fully backed by the dealer. I mean, considering the premium one must pay to actually acquire a lot of BMWs I think it's a load of horseshit.

JayDub said:

No tank slappers, luckily. I think I came close to having one on my first bike, an 04 CBR600RR. That thing was tall, top-heavy, short wheel base, and no steering damper. The steering was almost dangerously sensitive at times.

Mostly for me it's been braking-related. I got cut off at 70mph by some moron guy (no turn signal, it's like he just drifted into my lane right in front of me). It was bad because he cut me off maybe five feet in front of me? He was going a lot slower, too. That was my first stoppie, and I did that on my 750. It didn't last long, as when I set it back down I was so close I had to lane split between him and the Corvette to my immediate right. That shook me up for a little while.

Next time was a slower speed, probably around 30mph. I was behind three Harley riders coming up to a stop light. I put my left signal on and get into the left-hand-turn lane. Well last minute one of the guys decides he also wants to go left and goes right in front of me. That stoppie actually stopped me. The other riders saw what he did and didn't follow him until they looked at me and I motioned them to follow. I don't think the jackass (or many who do these sorts of things, regardless of what they're driving) had a clue.

The last stoppie-related one was from a deer that stopped in front of me. As I slowed do a near halt it decided to jump out of the way, so I let off the front brake and I felt/heard the rear hit the ground again. I hadn't even realized I was on one wheel!

Once, due to some bizarre road construction I had a car make a right turn in front of me (I was in right lane, they were in left). And then instead of finishing their turn they just stopped. Right in front of me. Fucking moron...I wound up braking a bit, but since they were sitting there I just swerved around them.

One close call was due to me being a jackass/moron. I got onto this road that I had only been on maybe once before a couple months prior. It looked like the road opened up nice and straight once you got through this series of little corners. So coming out of the corner and seeing the road I pulled a wheelie, only to remember (luckily in time!!) this road has a sharp curve left up ahead. I set that thing down and went in hard to the brakes and then let off and went into the corner. My friend who saw it said it was a pretty good save. Next time we both went back there I messed around with him a little and pulled another wheelie (though much shorter) in that same area. Gave him a good laugh after.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I'm going stir-crazy, looking at bikes online all day. Now is the best time to buy, but the best time to sell is April so I'd have to swallow the cost for a few months if I get something.

These are the bikes I've been looking at, any opinions?

14myux2.jpg

BMW G650GS. I never really thought about dual sports before, but I've been thinking hard about a cross-China tour in a year or so and watching some footage of R1200s flying across the Gobi looks like the most fun shit ever. Like, I need to do that. The G650 is the entry level beemer, it's the most affordable place to start. The F650 actually has a detuned 800cc engine for only a grand more, but doesn't quite look as cool. Either way, I love the idea of enduro traction on the road.

I just passed the MSF yesterday (!!!) and I've also been looking at the entry level BMW Enduros. Today I came across a discouraging thread regarding the F650GS and it's numerous defects and recalls. I know you're looking at the G650GS but they are pretty similar which makes me hesitant to research this bike any further.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490550&page=18

Hi everyone, as I mentioned in my previous post, I just passed the MSF basic rider course so I've been browsing bikes nonstop since yesterday. Due in large part to the recommendations in this thread, I am 100% set on purchasing the Ninja 250R if I were to go with a sport bike. My main objective early on is to refine the basic technique taught to me in the MSF course, probably at an empty parking lot nearby. But since viewing The Long Way Round, I've had romantic notions of riding on road anddirt across long distances and treacherous terrain. :lol Should I still stay with the ~250cc sized engines if I want a dual sport bike?

PartlyCloudlike said:
I just passed the MSF yesterday (!!!) and I've also been looking at the entry level BMW Enduros. Today I came across a discouraging thread regarding the F650GS and it's numerous defects and recalls. I know you're looking at the G650GS but they are pretty similar which makes me hesitant to research this bike any further.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490550&page=18

Oddly enough, I was just talking to a local guy about a great deal on a '98 F650.

I dunno. Beemers have the wow factor, but if the build quality and service are as suspect as you guys are saying I'm not sure if I want to get into that.

The Kawasaki Versys is the bike that keeps running through my head lately.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
i'm looking for a leather jacket that works good in the summer and winter.

if that's hard to find, then i need one for the summer at least since spring is around the corner.

i have a marlon brando leather jacket i cant fit into anymore :lol

not looking for sporty or marlon brando

C.Dark.DN

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
Hi everyone, as I mentioned in my previous post, I just passed the MSF basic rider course so I've been browsing bikes nonstop since yesterday. Due in large part to the recommendations in this thread, I am 100% set on purchasing the Ninja 250R if I were to go with a sport bike. My main objective early on is to refine the basic technique taught to me in the MSF course, probably at an empty parking lot nearby. But since viewing The Long Way Round, I've had romantic notions of riding on road anddirt across long distances and treacherous terrain. :lol Should I still stay with the ~250cc sized engines if I want a dual sport bike?
go sit on bikes

LiveFromKyoto said:
Oddly enough, I was just talking to a local guy about a great deal on a '98 F650.

I dunno. Beemers have the wow factor, but if the build quality and service are as suspect as you guys are saying I'm not sure if I want to get into that.

The Kawasaki Versys is the bike that keeps running through my head lately.

I understand what you mean by "wow factor," I'm unable to stop looking through the thread below. People are posting stunning pictures of their F800's and F650GS's in scenic countrysides and mountainous territory. Looking at them makes me want to overlook some of the reliability complaints and say "fuck it, it's a BMW!"

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368910&page=132

edit:
Another one featuring sexy press photos. But take note of post #1980 in my previous link:

This thread is only for the new 650 & 800s with bad wheel bearings, faulty gas tanks, snapping chains, slipping clutches, snatchy throttles and good looks.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368910&page=133

DeathNote said:
i'm looking for a leather jacket that works good in the summer and winter.

if that's hard to find, then i need one for the summer at least since spring is around the corner.

i have a marlon brando leather jacket i cant fit into anymore :lol

not looking for sporty or marlon brando

Check out Tour Master's jackets. They have stuff for all seasons, leather, not too flashy/sporty looking (though one could certainly use them for sport, as they have CE armor and spine guards).

PartlyCloudlike said:

250 should still be fine I'd think. Though you should be aware a dual sport's tires are going to be less fit for the road in general and less fit for off road than a dirt bike's tires (which are not street legal). Unless you have prior dirt experience, I'd say it would probably be easier to just stick a bike like the Ninja.

PartlyCloudlike said:
I understand what you mean by "wow factor," I'm unable to stop looking through the thread below. People are posting stunning pictures of their F800's and F650GS's in scenic countrysides and mountainous territory. Looking at them makes me want to overlook some of the reliability complaints and say "fuck it, it's a BMW!"

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368910&page=132

Sigh...this is exactly what I'm talking about. That looks so awesome.

thesoapster said:
Though you should be aware a dual sport's tires are going to be less fit for the road in general

I've never ridden on that sort of tire - is the grip substantially worse on the road?

Ichigo

Just traded in my 2000 Sportster 1200 for this:
10qkxs9.jpg

'08 1200c-Bigger tank, rubber mounted (god the 2000 would vibrate), and fuel injected. I love it! Took it out for a ride Saturday, a little too cold for me but couldn't get enough.

LiveFromKyoto said:
I've never ridden on that sort of tire - is the grip substantially worse on the road?

There are different grades that can be bought in terms of tread depth/amount of tread. There will be less grip on deeper tread/treadier tires because there's less contact with the road surface. I figured rather than hassle with that, a true beginner might just stick to a street bike. Though if he's ridden off-road before he knows a bit about tires and whatnot and how to handle that sort of bike, anyway.

Flo_Evans

LiveFromKyoto said:
Sigh...this is exactly what I'm talking about. That looks so awesome.

Grip is OK (obviously less than a street tire) but but tire wear is greatly accelerated. :lol

BMW's are weird. Recently they have outsourced a bunch of shit and it seems QC is slipping. Mine has been pretty trouble free though so I can't complain. If I was going to get another enduro bike though I would probably get a KTM.

ay9coh.jpg

:D

thesoapster said:
250 should still be fine I'd think. Though you should be aware a dual sport's tires are going to be less fit for the road in general and less fit for off road than a dirt bike's tires (which are not street legal). Unless you have prior dirt experience, I'd say it would probably be easier to just stick a bike like the Ninja.

Thanks for the advice! I'll be getting a Ninja 250R to develop my skills. I'm in no hurry. First I'm going to spend my money on quality gear, then get the bike. I don't want to put myself in a situation where I purchase the bike, end up without enough cash to purchase all the essential safety gear, put off purchasing the gear and ride anyway, and regret it later on.

Can I ask you about body armor?

Are body armor jackets like these supposed to be worn under jackets? I imagine it'd be quite bulky! What type of gear do you ride with?

alpinestars_bionic2_jacket_MD.jpg

edit: NVM, I just read your earlier post where you list your gear. Although I'm still curious about that body armor jacket.

Gear: Shoei X-Eleven helmet, Spidi GP Kangaroo jacket, Spidi Penta gloves, Bohn Armor under the jeans (partially why I look like I have extra fat thighs...the thigh padding does not help! ), Sidi Vortice Air boots

To quickly answer your question about that armor, it looks like it's meant to be worn under a garment. It would look a little funny under most garments. Honestly I'd recommend an actual jacket designed for motorcycle use.

...And here...we...go. *deep breath*

Glad to hear you are concerned about gear. Don't listen to the fucking squids that try and put you down for it, either. I had someone tell me when I wear gear I look like I'm afraid I'll fall over. Had it not been for the gear I had on my accident could have been much, much worse (though as you read on you'll see I could have done better).

You do not need to replicate the gear I have per se. Spidi is not what I'd call "cheap". Keep in mind that relatively inexpensive (I say "relatively" because most of it is not cheap at all) leather gear is not going to ALWAYS be better than more expensive stuff.

I do recommend a leather jacket. I wore textile for a while, and honestly it's pretty hard to get a textile jacket that really fits the body well because of how ripply it can be and how loose it is in certain areas. With leather you don't have to worry about this quite as much because it tends to be more of a shell shape or second skin. Most tests confirm leather to hold up to abrasions much better than textiles. Some companies such as Dainese, a huge motorcycle clothing company that produces leather gear (including sponsoring Valentino Rossi, the best motorcycle racer of all time currently), tout a fabric called D-Stone. I've never come into contact with this stuff before (mainly because there are no Dainese dealers near me), but I've heard interesting things about it. It's supposed to be more abrasion-resistant than leather (not sure if that only means cow leather or all leather). However, keep in mind a well-fitting leather garment will not have ripples and will be smooth, allowing maximum protection. I'm not so sure D-Stone (which is apparently nylon-like) fits to form like leather does. Perhaps that is why racers do not bother with it (for less wind resistance/distraction, plus Dainese's top end suits are kangaroo). If a garment is rippled its ability to grind and take the abrasion from a rough surface is very much reduced. For the most part textile jackets I see being used are not going to be up to snuff with a leather garment. However, if you think a D-Stone jacket might be worth a look, check it out.

Whatever jacket you have, you should make sure it has CE rated armor, and it should have a CE-approved spine guard (or a pocket to add a CE-rated spine guard, which you should do if it lacks that piece of armor, as your spine matters). Gloves I also recommend to be leather and to be gauntlet-style (over the cuff/wrist of your jacket) with armor for your knuckles, wrist, etc. To get great hand/wrist protection it may mean moving to a more race-oriented glove. Where you will find a lot of difference between the less-expensive brands vs pricier is dexterity. With all that armor and relatively thick leather, things can get bulky. So that is something you should take into consideration comfort-wise (it can get easy to honk the horn instead of hitting your turn signal if the gloves don't let you move freely).

Now, for your pants, there are a couple ways to go. Usually I don't mind flapping quite AS much on the pants so I wear Bohn armor under jeans at the moment. Bohn armor is not CE rated, but the padding is good quality and I've heard good reports from its performance. You might also consider textile, armored riding pants, or leather pants (also armored). I made the stupid mistake of only wearing jeans for a while. Well, the night of my accident I landed on my right side. I fractured my pelvis on the right side. My Bohn armor that I now wear has some nice armor completely covering that area. That might have gone differently if I had been wearing the armor then. I might have not separated my shoulder's right AC joint if I had had CE rated shoulder armor. I had automatically assumed that the jacket I had on would have that level of protection, but when I went back and checked I discovered it was not. Again, it might have gone differently if I had had more competent armor there. So, it's best to avoid the "mights" if at all possible. I plan on going 2 piece leather when I am at a more sustainable waist size and feel OK shelling out the money (again, Spidi is not cheap).

A word (or several) about leather cost in general. Of course the more expensive brands are partially selling a name/design. However, there is something to be said for leather cuts. First, some leather cuts simply are not designed for me. They just don't fit well. This is partially why I chose Spidi (and continue to do so), because their stuff (for now at least) fits me the best. In terms of leather quality, companies like Spidi get their cow leather from Argentina, where the cattle are free range (no barbed wire fences to snag/tear their flesh). It's often considered to be among the best cow leather. More expensive garments tend to be made from less pieces of leather. This means that larger pieces that are less plentiful when making leather from a cow were used to make the garment. Because they are less plentiful, they are more expensive. The advantage of having fewer leather pieces is that there will be less stitching to fit everything together. This means there is a lesser chance of failure in the event of a slide because the garment is more uniform. So, this can drive costs up as well.

Boots. Ahh, boots. My favorite are by far Sidi. They are a little on the pricey side, but man. They are very comfortable (once broken in, if leather), have fantastic protection capability, and just about all the armor pieces and bits are replaceable. Check out their lineup. I have their hardcore racing boot, the Vortice (Air version). Thing is they're about $475. The Vertigos (what I had on during my accident and held up extremely well) are $300. There are other boots they have below those that may be worth considering, too. Keep in mind these are just MSRP, but you may find them for cheaper. If not inclined towards Sidi, Alpinestars also makes some good boots (as well as jackets, gloves, etc).

For helmets...this is probably one of the most chattered-about subjects. What's safest? I always say to wear a full-face. Some opt not to. Personally if I had been wearing anything less in my accident than a full my face would have gotten fucked up. It's not something I'd take chances with. My accident was at under 40mph, too. So, lucky I had my first X-Eleven on. Speaking of that helmet, those are SNELL M2005 and DOT certified. The Euro rating (ECE) is not shown on the X-Eleven, but the ones sold in Europe (marketed as the X-Spirit) do meet ECE. The safety ratings are one thing. How any manufacturer chooses to meet or exceed those ratings is another. For instance, you know how my X-Eleven is rated. Technically it carried the exact same rating as my friend's HJC helmet. We both still have our helmets after our accidents. Here is mine after the fact - http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/the_soapster/Bike/helmet.jpg. Although I do not have a picture of his, I will say I had to look twice to actually realize there was something wrong with his helmet. There were some marks on it, but it actually did not look too bad (of course it's not usable anymore safety-wise). I flipped over a car and smacked down on the pavement at <40mph. He went over a guard rail and landed in some water face-down (eek) probably going between 35-55mph on impact with the guard rail. While the crashes were different types, he did suffer a concussion from his accident (luckily nothing turned out to be wrong). I was scanned in the hospital and had nothing wrong. The haziness/partial consciousness I suffered was most likely due to shock. It could simply be the different crash type, but I would have thought his helmet would have sustained more damage to its shell. I'd have to say one of the best helmets out there right now is the Shoei RF-1100. It meets the new SNELL standard and receives a 5/5 from SHARP (http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/). I'd look at http://www.compacc.com/ for good pricing. I got an X-Twelve for about $210 less than MSRP, and the Twelve is a brand-new helmet (just like the RF-1100 which shares the same shell type). It also comes in five shell sizes. Many cheaper helmets tend to use one or two shell sizes and then just alter the padding size for the different helmet sizes. It's better to have a helmet with the least unnecessary bulk. If you are not into Shoei, the next helmet I'd recommend you to look at is the Shark RSR2. Basically, take a look at SHARP and look through the helmets they have tested. Many of them are also sold in the U.S./available here. In summary, not all helmets with the same ratings are equal safety-wise. This is because each manufacturer will meet the safety requirements for each rating in their own way. It's always possible to exceed safety ratings, also.

I...think that covers it. Jacket, pants, boots, and helmet. To reiterate some good places for gear price-wise, http://www.compacc.com/ and also check out http://newenough.com/. A lot of the time it is best to try on gear in a shop, but if this is not an option for you (a lot of brands are not sold in motorcycle shops) and you choose to shop mostly online, make sure to measure yourself and make sure they have a good return/exchange policy.

If anyone else here has words of wisdom on gear to add to or refute what I said, feel free.

daw840

Great post soap. I would just add something about gloves. I haven't ever gone down on my bike *furiously knocks on wood* but a buddy of mine did and he wasn't wearing any gear but a helmet. He said all the rest of the road rash was fine, but his hands were so fucked up he couldn't do anything with them. Which makes sense, because if you go down I would assume your natural reaction would be to put your hands down.

daw840 said:
Great post soap. I would just add something about gloves. I haven't ever gone down on my bike *furiously knocks on wood* but a buddy of mine did and he wasn't wearing any gear but a helmet. He said all the rest of the road rash was fine, but his hands were so fucked up he couldn't do anything with them. Which makes sense, because if you go down I would assume your natural reaction would be to put your hands down.

First, your avatar is amazing. And yes, you're right. The extremities (head, feet, hands) are quite important. I have a friend who got in a scooter accident (35mph) and was wearing tennis shoes. She had to get a skin graft on her right foot and have two of the toes amputated. So, if you follow what I said about getting armored gloves you should turn out OK. I was wearing Spidi Race Vent gloves in my accident and didn't have a bruise on my hands, but I landed on my side mostly, anyway. The boots I recommended (Sidi) are going to do a whole hell of a lot more than even a regular steel toe boot, and an over-ankle steel toe boot will do a whole hell of a lot more than tennis shoes.

daw840

thesoapster said:
First, your avatar is amazing. And yes, you're right. The extremities (head, feet, hands) are quite important. I have a friend who got in a scooter accident (35mph) and was wearing tennis shoes. She had to get a skin graft on her right foot and have two of the toes amputated. So, if you follow what I said about getting armored gloves you should turn out OK. I was wearing Spidi Race Vent gloves in my accident and didn't have a bruise on my hands, but I landed on my side mostly, anyway. The boots I recommended (Sidi) are going to do a whole hell of a lot more than even a regular steel toe boot, and an over-ankle steel toe boot will do a whole hell of a lot more than tennis shoes.

*bows*

Gracias mi amigo.

daw840

Scarecrow said:
Oh, dear Jeezo! Please tell this only happens to you sport bike maniacs and not standard riders like me :(

Well, if you somehow manage to get BOTH wheels off the ground in your standard and then rotating slightly, this will happen to you as well. lolo

PartlyCloudlike said:
Thanks for the thorough safety gear summary soapster, very much appreciated. If you don't mind me asking, how did your bike accident occur?

Sure. I made a thread about it some time ago (click for pictures) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341934

This past Thursday I was riding my motorcycle to an appointment. A 16 year old driver (who had been driving for two months) pulled out in front of me at a traffic light (it was red for him). Both the bike and I flew over the car. I wound up being hospitalized with a fractured pelvis, ribs, and a shoulder injury to the AC tendon [AC joint, actually]. I was there for four days and am now healing at home. I'm 20, and these are the first bone breaks of my life. The hospital sucked, though I did have good nurses. I just hated laying in the same spot for so long. The kid was found to be at fault and their insurance will be covering the various bills...

On the appointment bit (because some people had asked), it was one of the last warm days of the season (it was November 6!), so I just wanted to ride to where I was going.

Didn't you have an R1 Soapster? Or am I confusing you with another poster here in motorycle GAF? (i.e. what bike is that in your avatar?)

Anyway, I recently made an addition to my collection of motorcycles (heh). I have a Ducati 998, but I keep it in my parent's garage, since I don't have a garage myself. This means I'm usually without transport (cause I live in Amsterdam myself, student housing), so I wanted to purchase a motorcycle I could park outside (during the summer) without having to feel too bad about it. And here it is:

120i4vk.jpg

1zn7mo1.jpg

nl7hg5.jpg

29x81zs.jpg

A Yamaha YZF 750 R, it's the 1995 model with 32000 kilometers on the clock. Paid just 1500 euro's for it. It's my first 4 cilindered bike actually, so I can't wait to see what that's like.

Wow. Nice find!

Yes, I'm on an R1. My avatar picture was taken a few weeks after my accident when I was able to physically sling a leg over a bike. It's an Aprilia SL750 Shiver, a fun little bike to play around on.

Yeah it's a nice find I think, I'm unable to predict what components will explode when I drive it for more than an hour... :lol but yeah, it looks great and at that price it's a total steal I think. Now I'm just looking for a different exhaust, this stock one sounds a little tame.

How is that R1 of yours doing?

Fine for the most part. Could be better. A family member knocked it over and it cracked a big piece from the upper fairing ("face" of the bike). Have the replacement ready to install, but it's been too cold, and now I'm getting continually buried under snow. I really just want spring to hurry up...not too far away, actually.

Yes, a month or two, I can almost smell it now.

Shame about the damage, I'd hate to see my 998 knocked over... ouch. And you can't slap a family member :lol. You have to be all 'oh it's alright, don't worry, we'll just fix it'. But secretly, you're scarred for life.

Fallout-NL said:
Yes, a month or two, I can almost smell it now.

Shame about the damage, I'd hate to see my 998 knocked over... ouch. And you can't slap a family member :lol. You have to be all 'oh it's alright, don't worry, we'll just fix it'. But secretly, you're scarred for life.

I mean, it's a Japanese bike. A pretty sweet one at that, but yeah. I'd cry a bit harder if I had a 998 and it got knocked over I think. One of my last large motorcycle meetups I did last season I saw a 999 up close and got to sit on it, etc. May actually get a chance to ride it some day. That bike was just pure sex to me. Ducatis always look so good. They just tend to scare me away since I only really have room for one bike at the moment.

And yeah, I mean, I've pretty much gotten over it. I have R&G race cut sliders and Motovation swingarm spools on (now adding R&G fork protectors for full effect, as I have an Öhlins 25mm cartridge kit in the front now). They saved the rest of my fairings. The alien face of the bike just happened to stick out the furthest at that point, so that's why it happened. Then again you don't want long frame sliders, anyway, as that's a good way to give them leverage and can fuck the frame up (which they're supposed to be saving to begin with).

JayDub

20362_323491808981_589153981_4532572_5835805_n.jpg

20362_323491828981_589153981_4532573_7221036_n.jpg

20362_323491858981_589153981_4532574_2850181_n.jpg

Looks like my little girl is starting early.

Speaking of which, I was talking to one of my buds who work at Berts here in SoCal, and he was telling me how he got his daughter (almost 3) on one of those small little dirtbikes with training wheels and throttle restricter. I think thats a brilliant idea:lol

Hey soap, is that an Aprilia in your avatar?

I've heard varying things about them, but man, the Shiver is a sexy bike, and it beats out the competing Ducati Monster in tests:

ngcd1z.jpg

vht644.jpg

2ljq8lt.jpg

After hearing so much negativity about Beemers this is near the top of my list these days. It's not even crushingly expensive, though the maintenance might be.

daw840

Well, I found out that I just need a new fuse today instead of an entirely new starter solenoid!

Very strange setup on this bike. The fuse is actually just a piece of metal that connects two screws. It's literally JUST the filament. I really wish I would have bought a newer bike that didn't constantly need to be worked on. Seems like there is always something to fix on this bike.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Hey soap, is that an Aprilia in your avatar?

I've heard varying things about them, but man, this is a sexy bike in person, and it beats out the competing Ducati Monster in tests:

http://i48.tinypic.com/ngcd1z.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/vht644.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2ljq8lt.jpg

After hearing so much negativity about Beemers this is near the top of my list these days. It's not even crushingly expensive, though the maintenance might be.

Correct, it's the Aprilia SL750 Shiver. It's my brother's bike that I helped pick out for him (he wanted a fun bike that wouldn't be able to get him into quite as much trouble as a supersport). It has a nice grunt to it, and really, out of the box is a great bike. I like it a lot. I would not worry much about Aprilia maintenance. They're sometimes called the Honda of Italian motorcycling (though the RSV4 engine recalls might have some thinking twice). Those RSV4 recalls are being handled very nicely by Aprilia, though. They are coming out to the few customers who own the bikes' houses, shipping the bike back, putting new engine in, and bringing it back to the customer. No charge. That is service.

My brother's has over 5,000 miles on it, so while it hasn't had any bizarre little breaks etc it's not exactly well-worn. Most reports I've read from others on recent Aprilias have given them very high marks in terms of reliability. The one potential negative of the Aprilia I've found is its seat height. I'm OK with flat footing on one side and then tapping with the other, but some may not be. I have a 30" inseam.

Because the bike is tall, has high bars, no steering damper, etc, it flicks into corners very easily. I've leaned by brother's bike over a ways, scraping my Sidi's toe sliders on either side :)lol). It has powerful brakes out of the box, too. The bike has multiple throttle mappings as well as a gear indicator.

So, overall it's a good pick. It definitely has more guts than any of the Japanese 650 twins. Just be careful about parts/service availability. If you have a dealer relatively close to you who can do DEALER maintenance (anything you feel you cannot do/should not be doing), you'll be OK. They're a bit more stretched out than other dealerships.

thesoapster said:
Correct, it's the Aprilia SL750 Shiver. It's my brother's bike that I helped pick out for him (he wanted a fun bike that wouldn't be able to get him into quite as much trouble as a supersport). It has a nice grunt to it, and really, out of the box is a great bike. I like it a lot. I would not worry much about Aprilia maintenance. They're sometimes called the Honda of Italian motorcycling (though the RSV4 engine recalls might have some thinking twice). Those RSV4 recalls are being handled very nicely by Aprilia, though. They are coming out to the few customers who own the bikes' houses, shipping the bike back, putting new engine in, and bringing it back to the customer. No charge. That is service.

My brother's has over 5,000 miles on it, so while it hasn't had any bizarre little breaks etc it's not exactly well-worn. Most reports I've read from others on recent Aprilias have given them very high marks in terms of reliability. The one potential negative of the Aprilia I've found is its seat height. I'm OK with flat footing on one side and then tapping with the other, but some may not be. I have a 30" inseam.

Because the bike is tall, has high bars, no steering damper, etc, it flicks into corners very easily. I've leaned by brother's bike over a ways, scraping my Sidi's toe sliders on either side :)lol). It has powerful brakes out of the box, too. The bike has multiple throttle mappings as well as a gear indicator.

So, overall it's a good pick. It definitely has more guts than any of the Japanese 650 twins. Just be careful about parts/service availability. If you have a dealer relatively close to you who can do DEALER maintenance (anything you feel you cannot do/should not be doing), you'll be OK. They're a bit more stretched out than other dealerships.

Nice! Your bro has good taste.

I generally like Aprilia, for my money the RSV4 might be the sexiest supersport in the world, and it's got the performance to back it up. I'd look into getting one if I didn't think I'd murder myself on it. I get freaked out just sitting on a ZX-10.

You're making me feel good about the Shiver, most of the negative remarks I'd read online referred to shoddy wiring, and then just the usual accusations that the Italians use cheap/fragile parts, as well as the lack of availability of parts. There are a couple of dealerships in my city, but they all do Aprilia as more of a side thing, and don't maintain much of a stock. I haven't had a chance to sit on one, but I'm glad you say it's a tall bike. I'm 6'1 and I've mainly been looking at rides that will fit my frame better, but I don't really want a hog. I've never ridden a throttle by wire bike either, it sounds kinda cool.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Nice! Your bro has good taste.

I generally like Aprilia, for my money the RSV4 might be the sexiest supersport in the world, and it's got the performance to back it up. I'd look into getting one if I didn't think I'd murder myself on it. I get freaked out just sitting on a ZX-10.

You're making me feel good about the Shiver, most of the negative remarks I'd read online referred to shoddy wiring, and then just the usual accusations that the Italians use cheap/fragile parts, as well as the lack of availability of parts. There are a couple of dealerships in my city, but they all do Aprilia as more of a side thing, and don't maintain much of a stock. I haven't had a chance to sit on one, but I'm glad you say it's a tall bike. I'm 6'1 and I've mainly been looking at rides that will fit my frame better, but I don't really want a hog. I've never ridden a throttle by wire bike either, it sounds kinda cool.

Ahem. It was my suggestion :p (my taste doesn't suck, really!)

Anyway, worth sitting on for sure. Throttle response is quick, consistent, and most importantly quite precise. I have a "dealership" in my city for Aprilia, but they mainly sell scooters and don't really know what they're doing for the most part with the bikes. So I'd check to see that there's someone with a mechanic who has the capability to do any warranty work.

I'm 5'11, but as mentioned only 30" inseam. But yeah, regardless sitting on it is helpful because you can get a better feel for the machine. Oh, I should mention (though I'm sure you know it) wind protection on this bike is not really all that great. Though I think you can get a tall-ish screen now as an accessory? I know you can get a relatively small one (can be seen in my avatar maybe).

Here is some good onboard launch footage from the Euro Shiver introduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3nMd0PsOvs (and of course there is a part 2)

I'm taking the MSF course in April and hope to shortly thereafter buy myself a bike. I'm planning on going the route of the cruiser. Originally, I had planned on getting a Honda Rebel but after sitting on one and talking to some other friends who recently took up motorcycling, i think i may need something slightly heavier for my 1st bike. I've been kind of narrowed it down to a Honda Shadow Aero 750 or a V Star 650 Classic due to my price range restrictions and expectations for looks/features. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also @ Flo....seeing as how you also live in the STL area....do you know of the best places I can be looking for new bikes? And once I get a little experience under my belt, we should go for a ride sometime as well :D

daw840

Dahellisdat said:
I'm taking the MSF course in April and hope to shortly thereafter buy myself a bike. I'm planning on going the route of the cruiser. Originally, I had planned on getting a Honda Rebel but after sitting on one and talking to some other friends who recently took up motorcycling, i think i may need something slightly heavier for my 1st bike. I've been kind of narrowed it down to a Honda Shadow Aero 750 or a V Star 650 Classic due to my price range restrictions and expectations for looks/features. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also @ Flo....seeing as how you also live in the STL area....do you know of the best places I can be looking for new bikes? And once I get a little experience under my belt, we should go for a ride sometime as well :D

My buddy has a V-Star 650 and LOVES that bike. I have ridden it a couple times and also love that bike. So easy to maneuver for a cruiser.

This thread and last weekend are killing me. I completed the MSF course and bought a Ninja 250 just before the winter last year. Waiting for the Spring was awful but when it came I rode everywhere, as often as possible, until it was stolen in October.

Last weekend I was walking around the West Village after brunch and realized how much I missed my bike. Not having to worry about street parking spaces made cruising around the city a joy. I hope to buy another soon but am BROKE for the foreseeable future.

I have been riding for almost 3k miles now on my GS500. Lately though I've felt uncomfortable on the bike--not posture-wise, but just "squirrely"--it just doesn't feel like the bike is all that stable? I had a couple close calls at low speeds recently (namely, I felt like I almost went down twice on low speed turns, once because of a small chunk of tar that the front tire hit and the other because of new paint on the middle lines being slick) and I dunno--I just don't feel glued to the asphalt.

So...I dunno...maybe you just get used to it? Or is it possible that a different bike might feel more solid?

daw840

SnakeswithLasers said:
I have been riding for almost 3k miles now on my GS500. Lately though I've felt uncomfortable on the bike--not posture-wise, but just "squirrely"--it just doesn't feel like the bike is all that stable? I had a couple close calls at low speeds recently (namely, I felt like I almost went down twice on low speed turns, once because of a small chunk of tar that the front tire hit and the other because of new paint on the middle lines being slick) and I dunno--I just don't feel glued to the asphalt.

So...I dunno...maybe you just get used to it? Or is it possible that a different bike might feel more solid?

Every bike will feel different. I ride my 1984 Nighthawk and half the time I feel like I may need to have the seat surgically removed from my ass, but I ride my buddy's Harley and it's so heavy it seems to almost ride itself.

ChanHuk

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:

Setup your suspension if it's adjustable and get some better tires. I know a lot of people throw in the SV650 rear shock on the GS500, its not adjustable though.

daw840 said:
Every bike will feel different. I ride my 1984 Nighthawk and half the time I feel like I may need to have the seat surgically removed from my ass, but I ride my buddy's Harley and it's so heavy it seems to almost ride itself.

Hmm... I was thinking of shifting over to a more enduro style or something. I guess I just want my bike to feel stable.

SnakeswithLasers said:

Could be that with those two close calls, you're more squirrelly, not your bike. Give it a little longer and see, it could just be new bike jitters.

On my end, my bike is in storage and I am sad. :(

Dragona Akehi said:
On my end, my bike is in storage and I am sad. :(

Mine too, but it should be above freezing within about 5 weeks or so and I expect to be back on the road then.

Has anybody ever taken a racing course? I'm wondering if it would help my road skills at higher speeds, like on the highway. There's this S-curve on my way to work and all the cars do it at 60-80 Kmph (40-50 Mph) but I just can't take the angle at that speed unless I really nail the entry.

Top Bottom