• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
thesoapster said:
The Ninja 250R as it is right now was introduced in 2008 for 3 grand. I'm pretty sure before the redesign it was 2.5k. For 09, it was raised to 3.5k, and now Kawasaki's site is showing it was 4.3k. It's a very popular bike and they know it. It is the model Kawasaki sells the most of out of any bike category, period.

edit: wait, I'm sorry. wrong price points. It used to be 3k prior to 08, then 3500 in 08, 4k in 09, now 4300.
I just passed the MSF course and I was looking into buying one but it's cheaper to get a used 500r than a new 250r these days. The 250s look a whole lot nicer though.

SapientWolf said:
I just passed the MSF course and I was looking into buying one but it's cheaper to get a used 500r than a new 250r these days. The 250s look a whole lot nicer though.

Yeah I know, the 500's haven't been changed in forever (used to be the same with the 250R but they're so popular they decided to make them even nicer).

The 500R/EX500 is a great machine.

Well, I'll be without the bike for three weeks or so, but it'll be worth it. The R1 is getting the Öhlins rear shock and 25mm front cartridge kit. Throwing in SS brake lines for good measure (as I've wanted them).

I was at the shop today getting some new brakes on the Ninja, an I had some time to kill so I started checking out some of the other bikes, sitting on them to see how they felt etc., and this thing shocked me as to how awesome it felt:

kawasaki%20VN1700%20Classic%2009.jpg

'09 VN1700 Classic. It seemed massive in person, like it had truck tires and a foglight on the front, great presence and sitting on it was just like ZOMG I AM THE MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE. Totally boss, just felt right the second I sat in it, spine went straight. I've never been interested in cruisers, but this thing felt great. Reviews seem positive too. I didn't have $14 grand to spare, but for the first time I'm really thinking about a cruiser for my next bike (not that there's anything wrong with my current one).

If you want to sit up straight but still have a sports-oriented bike, look at sporty standards, too.

(a few I can think of)

Kawasaki - Ninja 650R, ER-6n, Versys, Z1000

Suzuki - SV650, SV650S(F), Gladius, Bandit

Yamaha - FZ6, FZ1

Honda - Sport standard...hmm...I got nothin'

Triumph - Street Triple, Speed Triple

Aprilia - Shiver, Tuono

Ducati - Monster, Hypermotard, Streetfighter

KTM - Duke, Super Duke

There are still a bunch of other ones I'm forgetting. Point is you can have an upright-seating bike that is still sports-oriented. They're good fun. If I had the room I'd have one as a second bike. I've ridden a cruiser before (Vulcan 900), and I must say it really does not appeal to me. Comfortable, yes. However I could ride a standard forever, personally. In fact I'm not even uncomfortable on my R1. I think I get mentally worn out a bit, too, as when I sit on it I automatically feel like I need to go fast. When I'm on a standard, I feel OK not going as fast.

edit: Almost forgot, you can make your Ninja more comfy by changing the seat and raising the bars.

Yeah, I've never been into standards tbh, I find that on most I still lean forward a bit, even on bigger standards like say a Bonneville. which kind of defeats the purpose of it for me. I'm not even really into cruisers, it was just this one that just felt like it was built for my body; other models I've sat on not so much. It's made me think though, I was really looking hard at sports tourers like the Concours or K1300GT, but I'm thinking I might find a cruiser optimal for long rides. Having those handlebars up high kind of forces you into an upright position, which is easier on the back for long hauls.

I don't have any problem with my Ninja unless I'm going on a long ride -after an hour and a half I'm starting to wear down, but for the first hour or so I don't feel any the worse for wear. The seat is actually really comfortable for a sports bike, so no problems there, but raising the handlebars is an interesting prospect - though I still need to be able to get down into racing position. At 435 lbs. it's a relatively light bike and tends to sail in the lane at high speeds if I don't get down.

I guess it depends on what part of you is getting worn down on the longer rides. I've ridden hours at a time on mine without issue. How old are you? You could try some various stretches if your body gets tight.

edit: wait, 435lbs? Which Ninja do you have?

thesoapster said:
I guess it depends on what part of you is getting worn down on the longer rides. I've ridden hours at a time on mine without issue. How old are you? You could try some various stretches if your body gets tight.

edit: wait, 435lbs? Which Ninja do you have?

I've got a ZX600.

It's not a stretching thing with me, I find I just get really amped up when I'm riding. The engine on my bike is like sitting in a rock concert, those revs spike my adrenaline like whoa. So after an hour or two of that I'm ready to take a break. It usually takes me 20 minutes or so to totally come down from it.

The back comment was just in reference to the fact that an upright position is less fatiguing than a hunched over one, whether on a bike or sitting in a chair.

Went riding around this afternoon, weather's been pretty good for a Toronto November. I'm hoping I can squeeze in another 2-3 weeks of riding before putting the bike away for the winter.

I've ridden an Aprilia Shiver a good bit, as well as the Kawasaki Ninja 650R and ER-6n. They're a lot more relaxed to ride than a supersport. The Kawasaki 650 parallel twin is soooo easy to ride, too. But hey, if you really want a cruiser, go for it. I just think you could get the same level of comfort from a standard (upgrading seat if you have to, for instance) and still retain some performance capabilities like a sport bike (I've scraped my Sidi's toe sliders on the Shiver a few times). If you wanted the feet-forward stance, then a cruiser would make more sense to me. Also, check out used sport touring bikes. They offer so many comfort amenities.

edit: And yes, I'm hoping I'll have my bike back in time to do a ride or two before it becomes ungodly cold out there. Öhlins has a bit of a backlog, apparently, and will be working on my forks and modding my new shock some probably early next week. Then it all has to be sent back to the shop, have it all installed, etc. *sadface

Yeah, I might start looking around at streetfighters. One of them might be what I'm looking for. The Z1000, K1300R & B-King are pretty sweet looking bikes.

Got the bike back today :)

When picking it up and looking it over, the shop owner and I both quickly realized he had forgotten to do the SS brake lines. Oh well, I wanted it for the weekend at least. Will probably drop it back off this coming week and have it next weekend as well (with super cereal brake power).

As for the suspension...

It is currently set up for race settings. I had the Öhlins 25mm cartridge kit installed in the front forks along with heavier springs (damn my fatness; actually if you are over 160 or so the heavier springs may even then still be a better choice), and one of their TTX rear shocks. Everything was set up by them for "road racing" (more or less track settings). While firm, the suspension is so much nicer. I don't feel a lot of the bumps in the road now, and the feedback is fantastic. The rear shock itself can have its preload, compression, and rebound all adjusted by hand! In fact the preload adjuster is easily reachable while on the bike. Apparently this is so I can play around with it while riding, though I haven't made much of a change to it. I'll probably deal more with the damping settings, as the preload was set for my weight.

Overall, they are amazing and worth every penny. My stock suspension was not fantastic out of the box, and once it was set up and fully broke in it needed a decent amount of parts swapped out. The cartridge kit along with the rear shock was a great deal. Speaking of which, if you have been looking around at suspension upgrades, Öhlins is selling the cartridge kit for the forks along with a new rear shock for about $2k, which is a steal compared to the usual price. Apparently they are getting a 30mm cartridge kit next season or something along those lines, so they are clearing the 25mm stock. It's worth it for the sport riders.

I also tried out a tank bag today. After this, I've decided on a sportbike it's just not a good idea to have a medium-sized bag. It keeps getting in the damn way. I'm just going to get a nice backpack (the one I have now I've had since the 7th grade or so), as they don't bother me pretty much at all.

Toby

Well it took me a while but I finally got hit on my bike. Been riding on the road for around 4 years now, and some woman that wasn't paying attention rammed into the back of me at a walmart. Not hurt, just forced me forward and tipped my bike over. I consider myself lucky.
Every accident I have been in has been caused by a woman though...and it doesn't help that on the way home (without a front brake I might add) one had to jam on the brakes to keep from pulling out in front of me.

Anyone else have just a minor accident like that? There is only about $25 worth of damage and I almost just don't want to go through the hassle of getting the money from her, though I'm sure I will.

You can sue for whiplash now! W00 h00! Glad you're okay. I've never gotten into an accident, and it's kind of hard to even think about the reality of it, even though I know it can happen every time I get on that bike.

The temperature's about to go down to freezing this week, I guess this is it for this riding season. I'm going to try and see if I can stretch it out to Thursday until putting it away. My mission this winter: get a badass jacket. The one I have now is functional but kind of wack. I want a black sporty thing that looks like ballistic armor or something with no cheesy logos. I never seem to find quite what I'm looking for in the shops around the city, but there's a huge bike show in January, hopefully there'll be something slick there.

Toby said:
Well it took me a while but I finally got hit on my bike. Been riding on the road for around 4 years now, and some woman that wasn't paying attention rammed into the back of me at a walmart. Not hurt, just forced me forward and tipped my bike over. I consider myself lucky.
Every accident I have been in has been caused by a woman though...and it doesn't help that on the way home (without a front brake I might add) one had to jam on the brakes to keep from pulling out in front of me.

Anyone else have just a minor accident like that? There is only about $25 worth of damage and I almost just don't want to go through the hassle of getting the money from her, though I'm sure I will.

Shit that sucks. Glad that it was nothing serious, though.

No minor accidents with other vehicles. Only one accident that put me in the hospital. I had one "drop" once when leaving work on my last bike (the one that was in the accident and was destroyed later on). I didn't realize the hill was actually muddy, and it just slid out from under me. It cracked the plastic some around the left frame slider (obviously it just went right into the mud). Not too bad, it was very ride-able.

All my close calls/scares and my one accident have been caused by males. I'm not so sure the "men are better drivers, but are more aggressive" thing sticks so well anymore. I just tend to think 9/10 people, regardless, are horrible at driving. A lot of people that I ride in the car with scare me sometimes with their overly lax habits (including not signaling almost ever). That, and when people don't know how to properly turn their cars it makes me a bit nervous.

I did have one scare today when I was out playing around. I was on this two lane road, going through a relatively remote area. It's twisty and fun. I saw an oncoming truck with its emergency flashers on. I got over towards the side a bit more as he passe by me. As I went into the sweeping right turn and started hanging off, I saw why he had his flashers on - at the apex coming at me there was a gigantic piece of farm equipment rolling down the road. It took up over 3/4 of the road. I think I could have stopped in time if I had straightened up and went into my brakes hard, but I just picked the safe path and slipped right on by. It gave me a little bit of a heart flutter, but I'm finding more and more than I'm staying composed a lot better during these sorts of events so I actually have time to think.

thesoapster said:
Shit that sucks. Glad that it was nothing serious, though.

No minor accidents with other vehicles. Only one accident that put me in the hospital. I had one "drop" once when leaving work on my last bike (the one that was in the accident and was destroyed later on). I didn't realize the hill was actually muddy, and it just slid out from under me. It cracked the plastic some around the left frame slider (obviously it just went right into the mud). Not too bad, it was very ride-able.

All my close calls/scares and my one accident have been caused by males. I'm not so sure the "men are better drivers, but are more aggressive" thing sticks so well anymore. I just tend to think 9/10 people, regardless, are horrible at driving. A lot of people that I ride in the car with scare me sometimes with their overly lax habits (including not signaling almost ever). That, and when people don't know how to properly turn their cars it makes me a bit nervous.

I did have one scare today when I was out playing around. I was on this two lane road, going through a relatively remote area. It's twisty and fun. I saw an oncoming truck with its emergency flashers on. I got over towards the side a bit more as he passe by me. As I went into the sweeping right turn and started hanging off, I saw why he had his flashers on - at the apex coming at me there was a gigantic piece of farm equipment rolling down the road. It took up over 3/4 of the road. I think I could have stopped in time if I had straightened up and went into my brakes hard, but I just picked the safe path and slipped right on by. It gave me a little bit of a heart flutter, but I'm finding more and more than I'm staying composed a lot better during these sorts of events so I actually have time to think.

Bingo. This conversation reminds me of the time I was on a bus, and a lorry was in the rightturn roundabout lane, and the bus I was on had a green light to turn left. This idiot (who happened to be male) TURNED LEFT out of the roundabout, SCREECHED on his brakes (he had to be doing something ridiculous like 60km/h) and HONKED HIS HORN AT THE BUS. AT THE HUGE FUCKING BUS.

God if I had been on a bike at that time and place, I'm positive I'd have been killed.

Quick question(s) for you guys. I've been mulling over getting a motorcycle for a while now (posted in this thread a while back) and now I might be getting more serious.

Anyway, how would a Honda Rebel or Ninja 250R handle a long trip? Maybe 2,000 miles or so. From SoCal to Seattle (and back). I wouldn't think I have anything to worry about, but I feel apprehensive. I suppose I would have to fuel up pretty constantly. What is the typical miles per gallon on them? Can't seem to find much on the manufacturer's website, just the tank capacity (2.6 on Rebel, 4.8 on Ninja).

Also, what do you guys do with all your gear? I have a long walk to class from the parking lot, and carrying a helmet and jacket is slightly repelling.

I am so close to signing up for the MSF...

Material541 said:
Quick question(s) for you guys. I've been mulling over getting a motorcycle for a while now (posted in this thread a while back) and now I might be getting more serious.

Anyway, how would a Honda Rebel or Ninja 250R handle a long trip? Maybe 2,000 miles or so. From SoCal to Seattle (and back). I wouldn't think I have anything to worry about, but I feel apprehensive. I suppose I would have to fuel up pretty constantly. What is the typical miles per gallon on them? Can't seem to find much on the manufacturer's website, just the tank capacity (2.6 on Rebel, 4.8 on Ninja).

You'll have to fuel up every two to three hours. On my 500 (which has an 8L tank) I get about 200 highway km on it... I'm not sure if the new Ninjas have a fuel indicator. But the dealership will definitely be able to tell you how many kilometers/miles you can go before you should refuel. Bikes also do have an emergency tank, but it depends on the model how much fuel is there. Mine'll do at least another thirty kilometers, though I avoid trying to do that.

However, if you're just getting your bike, I wouldn't take such a long trip right away... Make sure you're used to riding a bike and all of its quirks before undertaking a long journey like that.

Also, what do you guys do with all your gear? I have a long walk to class from the parking lot, and carrying a helmet and jacket is slightly repelling.

Heh. Well, I'd try parking closer. But you'll get used to carrying your gear about. Pick comfortable SAFE boots to wear that'll be ok walking. You'll get used to it. As for the helmet I just carry it under one arm, but you can buy a helmet rucksack, which will carry not only your helmet but other things too. I don't have one because I'm cheap.

When the weather is good, and it isn't likely to rain (or I'm parked under a roof of some sort), I just lock my helmet to the bike. There's usually a Ring that'll be opened and closed by your bike key and you put your helmet there via the D-rings. Very handy.

Just get used to carrying about 8 kilos on your back (your jacket). :p

You will be rather conspicious, but I've met good friends by what were random strangers asking about my getup.

DOOO EEET.

Scarecrow

My goal this winter is to exclusively ride my bike to work. I live in Florida, so the weather shouldn't get too bad. These past two nights have been my first real tests, at about 50degrees ferenheit. I wore a few layers and two jackets and was pretty comfortable, even refreshing. My only problem is the fingers. Two sets of gloves aren't keeping them from eventually stinging by the end of the trip. Any suggestions?

Material541 said:

My honest answer? I love my Ninja but forget about driving all day for a week on it, the riding position on sports bikes just aren't made for that. As for the Rebel, a cruiser is definitely the right idea if you're looking at an Easy Rider style cross country trip, but a bike that small (250cc) is not ideal for highway/long distance driving. You want something with a bit more heft, both for power (top speed on a 250cc is not that high, especially with luggage) and so trucks etc. aren't blowing you around in their wake on the road. If you're a sane rider and take a proper training course, you can safely start out on a 600cc, which is fine for highway riding. I did. (And I'm still there, it's a decent place to be).

Most bikes have helmet locks (though it is possible for a thief to cut through the straps) or better, you can get hard lockable sidebags to stow your gear in.

I've never known anybody who's regretted it.

Scarecrow said:
My goal this winter is to exclusively ride my bike to work. I live in Florida, so the weather shouldn't get too bad. These past two nights have been my first real tests, at about 50degrees ferenheit. I wore a few layers and two jackets and was pretty comfortable, even refreshing. My only problem is the fingers. Two sets of gloves aren't keeping them from eventually stinging by the end of the trip. Any suggestions?

If you can buy a pair of tough leather winter gloves that aren't too thick (this is important), that should do the trick. They've gotten me through Canadian November just fine and I'm sure they could make it through a skid as well as my Joe Rockets.

JayDub said:
Oh christ, thats beautiful. What bike is that?

Moto Guzzi Griso.

Question to the Owner, is that the new 8 valve engine ?

LiveFromKyoto said:
If you're a sane rider and take a proper training course, you can safely start out on a 600cc

Not recommended. Especially if he wants to do long trips. 600cc sportbikes belong on a track. The old CBRF4 or YZF600R Yamaha are pretty nice commuters, but all the new 600 models are fairly terrible for that purpose. A new rider has no business on one.

Thanks a lot, everyone!

I think I shall buy a used Honda Rebel or something as my first bike. Then once I get the hang of it, I will move on to something larger.

I always tell people who are getting ready to buy their first bike that they should absolutely 100% buy the first one used. Better yet if it is already scraped up a bit, and this is because a lot of people drop their first bike (I did not. I ended up dropping my second one, which was nicer and newer, on a damn grassy hill I had gotten used to using while leaving work . . . dammit). You will not be guaranteed to drop it, but it's not an uncommon thing for a new rider.

As for starting size, this is always a topic of debate. First, it depends on the kind of riding you'd like to do. I've always wanted to ride sport, and that is how I started after the MSF. I got a somewhat beat up 04 CBR600RR. That was a big jump, no lies (250 twin to 600 i4). However, I grew a lot on that machine, as I also did on my 07 GSX-R750 (RIP). It honestly is different for everyone, what size is good. Keep in mind it's not just size (cc), but engine type and bike weight. Four cylinder sport bikes, although they come in 600cc at the small end, still produce a lot of power, more than a 750cc twin would. In general, 600cc sport bikes have a relaxed power band until close to 10,000RPM. This means they can be putt around somewhat (they can also be very fast and surprising to a new rider). The biggest hurdle is not starting/stopping or riding in a straight line for a new rider. It will be proper braking, turning, and exiting turns. That whole process and development of that set of skills is crucial, and learning on a supersport will likely make the process harder than on something smaller.

If you wish to do long distance riding, it is possible on a sport bike. However, there are only "relatively comfortable" rides in the race replica class. While I am perfectly comfortable and can do it for hours, it's not as comfy as sitting upright like on a standard. In general if you are doing lots and lots of distance riding, I'd shy away from a sport bike, especially if you aren't really planning on riding fast on twisty roads (and a lot of sport standards can do an excellent job at this, anyway).

In the 250cc class, I personally favor the Ninja 250R. They are harder to find used, but they are around if you look. They hold their value very, very well.

Whatever you buy, make sure you get adequate gear. Starting at the top, this means getting a full face helmet. I would recommend getting one that is DOT/ECE certified, or if you are willing, DOT/SNELL2010 certified (there are a few models out now that meet the 2010 spec that are nice). Don't try to save money by buying a cheaper helmet that is practically off brand and only has a DOT sticker on it. The employees at the shop should be able to help you find the correct helmet fit, but in general it should be tight on your head, but not uncomfortable. To test this, keep it on your head for a few minutes and make sure you do not feel pressure points. Helmet shells come in different shapes, and not all brands/models will fit your head. Try on a bunch of different helmets to see what you like.

As for a jacket, get one that has CE armor in it (including a spine guard). If you decide on a textile (which I personally do not like), do NOT get a mesh jacket. That mesh will easily disintegrate in a crash, making the jacket essentially worthless. I've seen the after effects and they are not pretty (road rash is not cool). I personally favor leather, as it is worn as almost a second skin. Its heavier nature makes it so that it does not flap around in the wind. Textile jackets, on the other hand, will do this. The downsides of leather are that it requires more care and is more expensive. Generally leather will outperform textiles for crash abrasion resistance. Good brands for leather (that I have seen) include Icon, Alpinestars, Joe Rocket, Teknic, Dainese, Spidi (my choice). There are a few others out there, but generally you just want something that is constructed out of fewer pieces of leather. This means less leather is stitched together, making for a safer crash garment that will hold up better. This also means it will be pricier, as it's easier to throw a jacket together from many pieces in the slaughter process vs cutting large single pieces for use in the jacket.

Wear tough, over-the-ankle boots. In the event of a crash, you'll be glad you did. As for gloves, get ones that have a decent amount of armor in them to better protect your hands.

ChanHuk

Banned
So its been 3 weeks since my bike has been at the shop for repairs and AAA still has not approved of any repairs yet. This is giving me mad rage that I'm putting around in a POS Ford Focus.

As for a starting bike, do yourself a favor and don't get a SS. Big burly men ride 250s. The powerband on a 600 I4 will throw you off because it sucks up until about 10k. Get a twin of some sort as their powerbands are more linear. If you want best of both worlds, get a triple like I did :D

Death Dealer said:
Not recommended. Especially if he wants to do long trips. 600cc sportbikes belong on a track. The old CBRF4 or YZF600R Yamaha are pretty nice commuters, but all the new 600 models are fairly terrible for that purpose. A new rider has no business on one.

Well, I can only speak to my own experience. Like I said, I started out on one and I never felt like it was something I couldn't control. Keep it in 3rd unless you really need more, remember where 60 klicks is on your throttle, don't take curves like a jackass, and keep an eye on the road surface watching for junk and you should be fine. I do agree that a sport bike is not what he's looking for though.

Is it common for motorcycle batteries to need charging? Or should I just get a new one? With my car, if my battery died and it wasn't because I'd left my lights on, I'd just get a new one... But I'm not sure how motorcycle batteries work.

Specifically, I have a GS500 and my battery has been getting pretty weak over the last month, to the point where some mornings it won't even turn over now. I just don't know if I should try to get it charged at a shop, or if I should just head to Sears and buy a new one.

Edit: As for 600cc I4 as starters. I think this thread is great information for new riders to figure out what they need: http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13483

daw840

SnakeswithLasers said:
Is it common for motorcycle batteries to need charging? Or should I just get a new one? With my car, if my battery died and it wasn't because I'd left my lights on, I'd just get a new one... But I'm not sure how motorcycle batteries work.

Specifically, I have a GS500 and my battery has been getting pretty weak over the last month, to the point where some mornings it won't even turn over now. I just don't know if I should try to get it charged at a shop, or if I should just head to Sears and buy a new one.

Edit: As for 600cc I4 as starters. I think this thread is great information for new riders to figure out what they need: http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13483

Actually it's very common for them to lose some power. Motorcycles don't really have an "alternator" like a car does. Although they do have a charging system of sorts, it's not as powerful as a car. Go buy a cheap trickle charger from Sears and just plug it in overnight once a week or so and you should be good to go.

ChanHuk

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:

Your battery is on its way out if you ride your bike daily or you're not riding long enough for the bike to recharge the battery.

Flo_Evans

Scarecrow said:

Might be overkill for florida but you could look into some heated grips/gloves. I have seen some people use crazy looking gauntlets that cover the entire handlebar area and look pretty warm, but also silly.

daw840 said:
Actually it's very common for them to lose some power. Motorcycles don't really have an "alternator" like a car does. Although they do have a charging system of sorts, it's not as powerful as a car. Go buy a cheap trickle charger from Sears and just plug it in overnight once a week or so and you should be good to go.

ChanHuk said:
Your battery is on its way out if you ride your bike daily or you're not riding long enough for the bike to recharge the battery.

I'm so conflicted between these two posts. I do ride my bike every day, and it's back and forth to work--so not very far. But I think I might try one of those chargers though...

Flo_Evans

SnakeswithLasers said:
I'm so conflicted between these two posts. I do ride my bike every day, and it's back and forth to work--so not very far. But I think I might try one of those chargers though...

Try a charger/maintainer and if it doesn't work on your old battery at least your new one will last a long time. :D

41okJc3WvSL._SS500_.jpg

daw840

SnakeswithLasers said:

If your not at highway speeds for at least 20-30 minutes, you probably aren't charging your battery at all.

Flo_Evans said:
Try a charger/maintainer and if it doesn't work on your old battery at least your new one will last a long time. :D

41okJc3WvSL._SS500_.jpg

Something like this is kind of mandatory for a bike owner. Ideal winter storage includes taking your battery out of the bike and charging it up every month to six weeks until spring.

Sweet. I'll get that one pictured. Now I just am hoping that my battery is 12v--but of course it is, right?

Edi: Ya, it's 12v. And I bought the Junior model of that charger--only $20 on amazon, and it'll be here Thursday. God, I love Prime. I'll be riding to work by Friday. =D

daw840

SnakeswithLasers said:
Sweet. I'll get that one pictured. Now I just am hoping that my battery is 12v--but of course it is, right?

Edi: Ya, it's 12v. And I bought the Junior model of that charger--only $20 on amazon, and it'll be here Thursday. God, I love Prime. I'll be riding to work by Friday. =D

You can also just push start the bike and ride for an hour or so. Just be sure to get it up to a good cruising speed and maintain it. Also, when push starting a bike be sure to put it in 2nd gear when you pop the clutch and it should start right up.

daw840 said:
You can also just push start the bike and ride for an hour or so. Just be sure to get it up to a good cruising speed and maintain it. Also, when push starting a bike be sure to put it in 2nd gear when you pop the clutch and it should start right up.

That sounds like what I needed to know when it wouldn't start when I was at the grocery store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9D3TBy6hYI And there's a video on how to do it. =)

daw840

SnakeswithLasers said:
That sounds like what I needed to know when it wouldn't start when I was at the grocery store.

Yeah. I tried on my bike over and over and over and over and just ended up nearly killing myself. Then I switched to 2nd gear and it was easy as hell. I was pissed to say the least.

ChanHuk

Banned
I got my spiffy new RF-1100 in today in Monolith swatch and its a gorgeous helmet. Too bad I can't give you guys a review since I have no bike.

ChanHuk said:
I got my spiffy new RF-1100 in today in Monolith swatch and its a gorgeous helmet. Too bad I can't give you guys a review since I have no bike.

Very cool. You should post up some pictures :)

Benjillion said:
Brammo_Enertiabike.jpg

Yeah, I said it. 8 grand, freeway legal, and no gas. Works for me.

Range, charge time, performance specs?

edit:

So, $8k plus 10% tax credit, so come tax return time it's about $7,200. Four hours for a full charge, good for 2,000 recharges, so if you use it every single day and charge it every day it'll be about 5.5 years of life (though I wonder about how much it will degrade by that point and how much charge it would hold). 324lbs (not too bad) weight, and it has a top speed of up to 65mph (though apparently this is not recommended as battery drain will be rapid), though posted in the range of 50-60mph. Range is approximately 42 miles.

So, really, it's almost like a scooter replacement. I cannot foresee taking this on the highway (at least not for any extended period of time, as at close to highway speed the battery charge suffers). I think if I wanted an economical commuting solution I'd probably go with a Ninja 250. It would take me quite a while to catch up to the Enertia's price in gas.

I'd be more interested in an electric bike that has a bit more juice at the wrist and had a range of closer to 150 miles before a recharge. Who knows when that will come along.

Anyone give me some quick tips on rain riding? It just started coming down and I've got to head home soon. I have my gear here, so I'm good in that department, but I've never ridden in the rain. Obviously I'll be going slow, watch out for paint and other slick surfaces, stay out of puddles... Anything else though?

It's been raining off and on all day though, so at least most debris and initial slip has washed away...

Flo_Evans

SnakeswithLasers said:
Anyone give me some quick tips on rain riding? It just started coming down and I've got to head home soon. I have my gear here, so I'm good in that department, but I've never ridden in the rain. Obviously I'll be going slow, watch out for paint and other slick surfaces, stay out of puddles... Anything else though?

It's been raining off and on all day though, so at least most debris and initial slip has washed away...

Go slow. Really ease on the brakes/gas. Do your best to keep your visor clear, I find sometimes a quick look to the left/right will make the water slide off the lens. Don't forget to check your rear, X2 if you are stopped at a light. Flashing your brakelights (gently press the rear just enough for the light to go off before you start to slow down) can be helpful in letting others see you. Try not to freak the fuck out if you lock a wheel or start the back end spinning.

Just be smooth, stay as far away from other cars as possible. Get home and have a nice cup of hot coco!

Flo_Evans said:
Go slow. Really ease on the brakes/gas. Do your best to keep your visor clear, I find sometimes a quick look to the left/right will make the water slide off the lens. Don't forget to check your rear, X2 if you are stopped at a light. Flashing your brakelights (gently press the rear just enough for the light to go off before you start to slow down) can be helpful in letting others see you. Try not to freak the fuck out if you lock a wheel or start the back end spinning.

Just be smooth, stay as far away from other cars as possible. Get home and have a nice cup of hot coco!

Thanks man. =)

What should I do if I lock? Same thing as if it was dry (front locked: let up, then quickly re-apply, back locked: keep it pressed)?

Edit: And is the rain "1 million times more dangerous than normal riding" or just tricky and requires caution and experience?

Flo_Evans said:

Also use engine braking to your advantage. On my bike, the brakes are absolute shit in the rain, but a good focus on speed and gear keeps me comfortable. Rain riding is masochistically fun.

Flo_Evans

SnakeswithLasers said:
Thanks man. =)

What should I do if I lock? Same thing as if it was dry (front locked: let up, then quickly re-apply, back locked: keep it pressed)?

Edit: And is the rain "1 million times more dangerous than normal riding" or just tricky and requires caution and experience?

Some people like to keep the back locked if it locks, but I have always let off. There is a slight chance when the rear is locked and you are sliding kind of sideways of the bike hooking back up and bucking you off, but IMHO it is better to release the back wheel assuming you are still headed in a straight line. I would just do what you normally do.

IDK how much more dangerous it is, the worst part is visibility (both yours and other motorists) of course you have much less available (and variable) grip levels, but of you are comfortable on your bike finding these (then staying away from them!) should not be much of an issue. Ride off road a few times and the rain is no big deal. :lol

Awesome, thanks both of you...

Speaking of "off road" ----right now I have the GS500, but when I upgrade I *reeeeeally* want to get a BMW F650 or F800. Drool.

Flo_Evans said:
Some people like to keep the back locked if it locks, but I have always let off. There is a slight chance when the rear is locked and you are sliding kind of sideways of the bike hooking back up and bucking you off, but IMHO it is better to release the back wheel assuming you are still headed in a straight line. I would just do what you normally do.

Right. If you have a decent slide going sideways/diagonally the wheel regaining traction could throw you off (that and it sometimes happens to racers who are on bikes that have a really fast, immediate HP hit and it breaks their traction unexpectedly, and then the bike really starts to lose composure as it regains traction). Straight line usually not to big of a deal. Under heavy braking I've slid into corners a bit (though it's not entirely recommended :lol )

I went for a ride yesterday (it peaked at around 47 degrees!). Slipped on some ice in the morning, though. Haven't gotten my heart racing quite like that in a while. I thought I was going to drop it, but luckily I was quick and didn't need too much of a push with my leg to stay upright. Overall, though, it was quite fun. I must say that it is amazing to me how much weaker my forearms get when not regularly riding. My left forearm especially was getting cramped from my clutch :lol

thesoapster said:
I went for a ride yesterday (it peaked at around 47 degrees!). Slipped on some ice in the morning, though. Haven't gotten my heart racing quite like that in a while. I thought I was going to drop it, but luckily I was quick and didn't need too much of a push with my leg to stay upright. Overall, though, it was quite fun. I must say that it is amazing to me how much weaker my forearms get when not regularly riding. My left forearm especially was getting cramped from my clutch :lol

You've either got huge balls or you're crazy. I put my bike away two weeks ago. Whatever I get out of that ride is just not worth hitting an ice patch for.

Top Bottom