• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

The round lights were the best. The cynic in me is pretty sure Triumph only ditched them because they ran out of stock of the units from the old Sprint

Any advices when buying a used bike?

I found a used 2015 GSXR 600 for $7k

It's being sold by a dealership but I don't want to risk buying a broken bike, seems pretty cheap for a relatively new bike.

Dougald

If it's a dealer and a year old, I'd be more concerned with making sure the paperwork is in order and it's up to date on servicing, etc. That and a good look to see if it's clearly been dropped, and the condition of your consumables (if you need a new set of tyres that's another £300 on top of whatever you pay, etc). As long as they're reputable anyway...

If you're buying something older or privately Fallout has a ton of tips I'm sure, I'm not even going to try.

Dougald

13 or 13k? Probably an unsold pre-registered machine the dealer ordered last year if 13, would be my guess. Can you run a vehicle check against the plate where you are?

The rotor shows signs of damage/deformations? Vitrified brake pads? Anyway, I'd get a new pair of pads and check if the issue persists. Keep the old ones and finish them off once the issue has been solved.

Uhh, could be anything. I suspect pads are the likely culprit though. Brake disc could be warped a little, but I doubt you have a run off gauge to easily test that. I assume the tyre is tip top? Only other thing I can think of would be wheel bearings

My money's on the pads though
Thanks guys. Tire has a bit of cupping but I wouldn't think anything near what would cause this. Very slight. No visible damage on pads either.

I'll replace the pads and see after that. Thanks again!

It only did 13kms. Could be stolen?

Not sure what kind of tricks sellers sometimes use over in the US, but here in the Netherlands, dealers occasionally communicate prices without BPM and BTW, which are added environmental (significant) and sales (also significant) taxes. Could be that the actual price is quite a bit higher.

7k seems very low if it is indeed a completely new bike (13 miles on the odo, not 13.000). What does that bike go for new? 14k or something like that?

Dougald

Nice bike Doug! Can't wait to see the sick wheelie vid you promised us! ............... :)

I promise you the only way that video is ending is with a smashed up Italian bike and a very sad looking man!

I finally took your advice when I got the bike home last night and ordered an Abba superbike stand for maintenance, should be arriving tomorrow

Watevaman

I promise you the only way that video is ending is with a smashed up Italian bike and a very sad looking man!

I finally took your advice when I got the bike home last night and ordered an Abba superbike stand for maintenance, should be arriving tomorrow

Good news, it makes maintenance much easier to do by yourself.

A few tidbits I've learned while using mine on the rex:

-It will probably feel really weird the first few times you lift the bike up. Even with the leverage, you're still lifting 400+ lbs of bike and you want to make sure everything is as upright and straight as possible. What I do is put the stand on, keep the kickstand down, then pull up on the stand's lever while lifting the bike off the kickstand. This makes the stand completely level on the ground and you can be sure nothing's gonna fall.

-On the right side of the stand, the part you slide on after the left side is mounted, I found the bottom set screw to always be a little loose. What I normally do is tighten the bottom, then the bolt into the swingarm, and then retighten the bottom to make sure nothing has slid loose. I'm making this sound complicated but you'll see what i mean.

Good luck and let us know how you like it. I'm sure the red stand will fit well with the red bike.

Just 13 kms, not 13k which is driving me crazy.

I'll try to run a vehicle check, if there's anything wrong with it I'm avoiding it.

Could be a steal tho, no idea

Dougald

Call and find out, I would bet that it's just an unsold pre-registered model or cancelled order, those sound like delivery miles

I realised last night just how complacent the Street Triple made me at riding. Not only do I now have to be in the right gear, but I have to go back to remembering which one I'm in! I had an absolute blast riding around the countryside though, I'll try and throw up some footage at some point

Evo X

Got the annual service done 2 weeks ago and the bike is 100% fresh!

Just came back from a late night ride with some buddies and had a blast. Friend picked up a KTM 390 which he is in love with. Says it's so easy to toss around.

Perfect 71F weather, no traffic, smooth roads. This is what I live for.

Quick cell phone snap at the Dunkin Donuts we pulled over at.

B9r8ozs.jpg

Dougald

Like all of the MT/FZ range, it's incredible value for the price. I suspect the Triumph is a better bike, but for the money, the 07 and 09 are just brilliant. I love the entire range, even the questionable grey and high viz styling they're going for

The only reason I ended up discounting the 09 variants and bought a Monster is I didn't really fancy going from one Triple engine to another.

07:
nBgjBQx.jpg

09:
7z6Atsw.jpg

10:
Dtw2gtr.jpg

I had to post the MT-10 / FZ-10 because not having an extra £2k to order one of those from Yamaha is the only tiny bit of buyers remorse I have regarding the monster!

Watevaman

Question for you all, hoping to get perspective from both buyer's and seller's side. What would make a high mileage, been dropped bike appealing to you in an ad? I have a target amount for the ZRX but it seems a lot of people see high miles (it has almost 35k) and damage as an instant "oh, let me lowball the crap outta you" card. For those of you that have sold bikes privately, how did you make it appealing and for those of you that buy used, what makes a bike more appealing than another?

Dougald

Personally, on a private ad I just want to see as much info as possible. You can tell a lot about a bike by how well someone actually bothers to advertise it - the number of poorly-spelt, one line ads I see for bikes is mental. In the same vein, decent pictures that are oriented the right way around, which is something baffling that I see all the time as well.

I know you do your own servicing but if you have a record then it might be good to quickly detail what's been done and when. I don't mind when someone's done their own maintenance, but there's a difference between "trust me mate I serviced it" and "x was done at y miles"

Personally, on a private ad I just want to see as much info as possible. You can tell a lot about a bike by how well someone actually bothers to advertise it - the number of poorly-spelt, one line ads I see for bikes is mental. In the same vein, decent pictures that are oriented the right way around, which is something baffling that I see all the time as well.

I know you do your own servicing but if you have a record then it might be good to quickly detail what's been done and when. I don't mind when someone's done their own maintenance, but there's a difference between "trust me mate I serviced it" and "x was done at y miles"

Yup lots of info is what I always appreciate in an ad.

Watevaman

Your dog does not want to put up with your shit, Doug.

But I'm glad you like the stand. I personally think they should be bundled with every motorcycle purchase and I am incredibly sad that mine will no longer have a use when I get rid of the rex (TW's don't have an adapter kit).

OraleeWey

Check this bike out guys

https://imgur.com/a/LrCQX

My dog hates motorcycles (the noise) and actively gets pissed off whenever I go in the garage or put my gear on

I had my fist encounter with a dog Thursday. I know I'm supposed to slow down, then speed up and leave him behind. The owner was there and was telling the dog to stop chasing me. I wasn't really worried about myself, I was more concerned with hurting the dog. Anyway, he stopped chasing me and when I turned around, the lady was very apologetic to me. "I'm sorry, you shouldn't have gone through that, I'm sorry". She kept apologizing and I just kept telling her that it was okay. No biggie.

Funny thing is that as soon I saw the dog, I KNEW he was going to chase me.

Also, saw your video man. Looks like you're having fun out there. I was going to ask you... You have your camera mounted on the top of the helmet right? I kinda want to try that.

Dougald

Luckily my dog just runs away from the bike. The few times I've encountered one chasing me I've been able to avoid and ride away

My camera is a Drift Ghost mounted on top of the helmet, it comes with a curved adhesive mount that makes it easy to install

I ordered my new bike! Put a deposit down today on a new BMW R1200RS Sport SE! Should be ready in 2-3 weeks. So excited. Ordered the grey model cause it comes with the gold callipers (the blue/white model has gold forks but black callipers). Keyless ignition, alarm/immobiliser, 790mm seat height option, and finally the top box with inner bag.

I was planning to go for the Speed Triple but started a new job and I'm going to have more motorway miles, plus the spy shots of the Street Triple 800 so I'll look to swap my Harley out for that next year.

It's going to be a long few weeks. After which a short tour will be planned.

Nice bloody choice! I love that bike, if I were getting a new BMW that would be the one for sure.
Cheers. Sure enjoyed my test ride on it. Now just the long wait!

Dealer did the 790mm seat height option for free (normally that seat specifically is more expensive) and cut a small amount from the OTR (delivery) charge.

I did really love riding the Speed Triple too, but after a couple of motorway stints this week decided the BMW was going to be more practical for me. Screen and cruise control and up/down quickshifter is awesome. I also want to do some touring around the UK/France so BMW ticks all the boxes.

Dougald

I would say it's one of the best beginner 'big' bikes out there for sure. More than enough power without getting you into trouble

OraleeWey

I work near Washington DC. It's that time of the year again. There are motorcycles everywhere! This is essentially the first time in my life I can be a part of it.

So I'm looking for some recommendations on my next bike. I'm open to all suggestions since I have probably a year since I make the purchase.

A bit about my riding requirements...
I ride every day. I gave up and sold my cars because they collected dust. 5 days a week, 100 miles a day. I need space for rain gear and a backpack that holds my work stuff. So it needs to be somewhat comfortable. I am also not a speed guy. My bikes so far have been cruisers because of this but I am definitely open to sport touring or something.

I'd like something somewhat easy to work on. I do my own maintenance to make this as cost effective as possible. So less wear and longer service intervals would be nice. This would be a bike that I throw a lot of miles on. Probably around 30k per year. So reliability is a must.

I am ok with it not being the most stylish or speedy bike, but if it they happen to look good and go fast I won't complain. But I am a bigger guy (250 lbs) so I do need some get up and go.

I'm really open to anything and I have no riding buddies IRL to ask. For reference I currently have a 2014 Harley Road King. By next year it will have close to 80k miles so I am going to turn her into a weekend bike.

No technology requirements. I have Bluetooth in my helmet to listen to music and that's all I really need in that regard.

Thanks in advance

Dougald

How about an R1200GS? A lot of your post just screams that, and the boxer twin engine is so easy to work on yourself. Or even an R1200RS like blackprophesy just bought

I guess now I know why I see so many of those now. The RS leans more toward sport and the GS towards touring, right? I'll need to do some reading on them. Thanks!

nico1982

I ride every day. I gave up and sold my cars because they collected dust. 5 days a week, 100 miles a day. I need space for rain gear and a backpack that holds my work stuff. So it needs to be somewhat comfortable. I am also not a speed guy. My bikes so far have been cruisers because of this but I am definitely open to sport touring or something.
I'd look into an used Suzuki V-Strom or Kawasaki Versys 650. Both are cheap to purchase, cheap to maintain, reliability is usually very high. They are comfortable at hightway speed and nible in the traffic. Lots of accessories available.

Dougald

I guess now I know why I see so many of those now. The RS leans more toward sport and the GS towards touring, right? I'll need to do some reading on them. Thanks!

Correct, there is also the RT which is full touring. I recommend trying a GS out, they're common as dirt but there is a reason they sell so well beyond Ewan mcgregor

I'd look into an used Suzuki V-Strom or Kawasaki Versys 650. Both are cheap to purchase, cheap to maintain, reliability is usually very high. They are comfortable at hightway speed and nible in the traffic. Lots of accessories available.

Both good choices as well! The versys is a great looking do-it-all bike.

Thanks guys! I'll check those out. Any issues with stop and go traffic for those? One thing I dislike about my current 800lb beast is stop and go traffic which I hit quite a bit of on my way home. Part of it is the weight of the bike wnf part of it is the super stiff clutch.

Dougald

The BMW is pretty heavy but quite stable, I could only get one foot down but didn't have many issues. I find the clutch on our 1150 pretty heavy so I suggest you test out the 1200. A smaller bike like the Versys would certainly be better there...

Clutch on my Ulysses is quite light. And it's not even hydraulic.

I ordered my new bike! Put a deposit down today on a new BMW R1200RS Sport SE! Should be ready in 2-3 weeks. So excited. Ordered the grey model cause it comes with the gold callipers (the blue/white model has gold forks but black callipers). Keyless ignition, alarm/immobiliser, 790mm seat height option, and finally the top box with inner bag.

Yes!! Great choice. Best looking BMW out there right now (and they've got a bunch of them, haha).

I was planning to go for the Speed Triple but started a new job and I'm going to have more motorway miles, plus the spy shots of the Street Triple 800 so I'll look to swap my Harley out for that next year.

Remind me, what type of Harley did you have?

The BMW is pretty heavy but quite stable, I could only get one foot down but didn't have many issues. I find the clutch on our 1150 pretty heavy so I suggest you test out the 1200. A smaller bike like the Versys would certainly be better there...
Thanks. The clutch isn't nearly as big of a deal as the weight. I'll probably start doing some test rides soon

Top Bottom