• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

My (right) thumb seems to go numb on longer rides. Not sure if it's the vibrations or my gloves or both. Anyone experienced this?

I haven't gotten numbness in just one spot, but I've certainly experienced numbness in multiple areas of my hands. I think it was mainly from white knuckling the bars.

Dougald

Forgot about the new Africa Twin, that would also be a great shout

Thanks. The clutch isn't nearly as big of a deal as the weight. I'll probably start doing some test rides soon

They're big old beasts, no doubt about it, though the weight is quite centred and easy to handle. And nowhere near as heavy as my old ST1100, which was ridiculous.

My (right) thumb seems to go numb on longer rides. Not sure if it's the vibrations or my gloves or both. Anyone experienced this?

On the BMW and Ducati, I find my right thumb goes numb after about an hour due to the vibration. Never had a problem before those, but they are big vibey twin engines so I guess that's why.

Watevaman

My right hand would go numb after sitting at certain RPMs for extended periods of time on the GS. Chances are it's the bike's vibrations if you're getting it consistently around the same speed/RPM.

I personally bought both a Crampbuster and a Go-Cruise and they both helped a lot, because with them I could take my hand off the bar or used a looser grip.

Thanks for this -- I completely forgot that I bought a crampbuster (or knock-off?) last year. I'll have to dig it out and give it a go.

nico1982

Yeah, it only happens on the freeway (at constant RPM), and I have a twin too (sv650).

Any solutions? lol
Have you changed the bar and/or the end bar weights? If not, you can try to change the latter with heavier counterweights. It might mitigate the vibrations, move them to a different rpm range or even eliminate them. Or do nothing at all.

Clutch on my Ulysses is quite light. And it's not even hydraulic.

Yes!! Great choice. Best looking BMW out there right now (and they've got a bunch of them, haha).

Remind me, what type of Harley did you have?
I've got the Sportster Iron.

But after another visit to another dealers at the weekend my wife has set her sights squarely on the Street Triple Rx and is now planning to sell her Harley (also an Iron) and get the Rx.

And I can't have her having an awesome Triumph roadster all by herself so I've semi convinced myself to sell my Harley and put down a deposit on a Speed Triple. I have to check my settlement figure for the Iron finance and see if it makes sense to refinance towards the Speed to sit alongside the RS.

The BMW is pretty heavy but quite stable, I could only get one foot down but didn't have many issues. I find the clutch on our 1150 pretty heavy so I suggest you test out the 1200. A smaller bike like the Versys would certainly be better there...
The RS (and I assume the new GS) has a hydraulic clutch and it feels really light to me after the Harley

I personally bought both a Crampbuster and a Go-Cruise and they both helped a lot, because with them I could take my hand off the bar or used a looser grip.

At first I thought the throttle stay on my Harley Iron was a waste, but when I get on to a long stretch of straight road and I can just tighten up the throttle and let go? Man I love it.

It's nice, too, in that you can adjust it without releasing it.

Have you changed the bar and/or the end bar weights? If not, you can try to change the latter with heavier counterweights. It might mitigate the vibrations, move them to a different rpm range or even eliminate them. Or do nothing at all.

Oh, good point. I do have aftermarket bars on. There are bar end weights, but I could try putting on beefier ones.

I'm going to try out the throttle lock thing first and see how that goes.

GONZO

This could be your gloves or your jacket surprisingly. My sport jacket would squeeze the joint near my armpit when in the riding position which would cause my fingers to go a bit number after a while. I figured it out after I lost weight the jackets gained a bit more room and the numbness went away.

This could be your gloves or your jacket surprisingly. My sport jacket would squeeze the joint near my armpit when in the riding position which would cause my fingers to go a bit number after a while. I figured it out after I lost weight the jackets gained a bit more room and the numbness went away.

Hm good idea. I have a zipper on my sleeve that cinches reasonably tight. Maybe I'll try loosening it a bit to see if it helps.

Dougald

Quick trip to the south downs yesterday. Highly recommended if you're within an hours ride of Alton. Loomies actually has half-decent food too which is pretty rare for a British roadside cafe.

YKhlHfr.jpg

CTiyjdg.jpg

No, that is
probably
not oil from my bike on the tarmac underneath it

But after another visit to another dealers at the weekend my wife has set her sights squarely on the Street Triple Rx and is now planning to sell her Harley (also an Iron) and get the Rx.

And I can't have her having an awesome Triumph roadster all by herself so I've semi convinced myself to sell my Harley and put down a deposit on a Speed Triple. I have to check my settlement figure for the Iron finance and see if it makes sense to refinance towards the Speed to sit alongside the RS.

Yeah, the Speed Triple will obviously be a massive step up in nearly every department, except for character maybe (I love the Sportster engine). Personally, I would keep the Sportster, but I guess it depends on how badly you need (want :p ) another bike (alongside the RS) that will do everything perfectly, haha.

Quick trip to the south downs yesterday. Highly recommended if you're within an hours ride of Alton. Loomies actually has half-decent food too which is pretty rare for a British roadside cafe.

No, that is
probably
not oil from my bike on the tarmac underneath it
I saw Baron Von Grumble tweeting about Loomies yesterday too. Somewhere to head on a day ride from Kent. My wife and I went for a blast around Kent lanes on our Harley's on Sunday. Loads of bikes out which was cool. A lot of nods too which you certainly don't see on a morning commute to London!

Yeah, the Speed Triple will obviously be a massive step up in nearly every department, except for character maybe (I love the Sportster engine). Personally, I would keep the Sportster, but I guess it depends on how badly you need (want :p ) another bike (alongside the RS) that will do everything perfectly, haha.
Oh I'd love to keep the Harley too. But it's more a logistical issue with garage space. Already 2 motorcycles and 6 bicycles in our small single garage gets a bit cramped! But I've been given "permission" to buy some new garage cabinets and do the flooring and line the walls etc. to sort it out for the new arrival. Kinda like redecorating the nursery :)

I loved my iron but everything was more enjoyable about riding when I got a better bike. They're good for hopping around town and getting you addicted. That's about it. I want one for BS errands but if I had to choose only one it would never be in the running.

Dougald

If you have access to a VPN with a UK endpoint, ITV do a daily highlights show that you can watch online

At least, I assume you'll need a VPN. It's ad-supported but probably still geo-locked

Edit: just checked the TT site and unfortunately you can't use their reasonably priced streaming service as it's being broadcast in the US already, on Velocity. Anyone outside the countries below can pay £6.99 and get the daily highlights programme:

UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Italy, Norway, South Africa, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatamala, Honduras, México, Nicaragua, Panamá, Paraguay, Perú, República Dominicana, Uruguay and Venezuela.

Hang the pushbikes on the wall, open up floorspace for motorcycles, job done :)
The bikes are on the wall. But perpendicular at the moment. I need new racks to put them parallel closer to the wall.

I loved my iron but everything was more enjoyable about riding when I got a better bike. They're good for hopping around town and getting you addicted. That's about it. I want one for BS errands but if I had to choose only one it would never be in the running.
Yeah definitely. If I was to do it again (buying my first big bike) I'd have tested a lot more and seen the capability of things like the MT-07 or Street Triple etc. Live and learn.

Dougald

Spent the evening raising the seat on the Monster. Ducati don't make it a simple job! Much better now, I can't get both feet flat any more but it's far more comfortable.

The bikes are on the wall. But perpendicular at the moment. I need new racks to put them parallel closer to the wall.

You'll have to rig up some sort of ceiling mount...

Yeah that is very annoying. How's the temp gauge though? I wish bikes did that thing BMW's do now on their performance vehicles (cars) where the throttle is limited when the engine is cold.

In follow-up from a couple of weeks ago now I've got the bike... The temperature is shown in C (or F if you change it) right on the dash. When the bike is still warming up it says LOW right next to it, nice and easy to read

I've been looking at exhaust mods on YouTube, I've noticed that there's slip-on and full exhaust systems.

Do you need a fuel controller for slip-ons? Or is it just for the full system?

In follow-up from a couple of weeks ago now I've got the bike... The temperature is shown in C (or F if you change it) right on the dash. When the bike is still warming up it says LOW right next to it, nice and easy to read

Nice, yeah. Suppose it measures the temperature of the coolant and not the oil though right? On a testride of an 848 SF I noticed that it warmed up much, much faster than my 1100. Except it's not really clear to me whether that 848 was actually at operating temperature then because 'they' say oil does lag behind coolant in terms of how warm it is. I guess what I'm asking is, do you think it's necessary to wait for another few miles after the coolant has come up to temp before you really open things up?

My Buells don't show anything so I just take it easy for 20km, might be a little too much on the safe side, but whatever, I want them to last.

I've been looking at exhaust mods on YouTube, I've noticed that there's slip-on and full exhaust systems.

Depends. I suppose it's always better to adjust the mapping if you go for a new set of cans, though it might be 'more' necessary for a full system because the differences from the stock setup are bigger. I once bought a set of slip ons for my 620 Monster and I didn't adjust anything, ran fine. Though I have to admit, I also got a set of slip ons for my 1100 Monster where I did get a new ECU as well and the difference was huge (positive). So yeah.

Watevaman

Neither my GS500 or ZRX had temp gauges of any kind, but you could tell when they were cold because their response was/is crappy compared to a warm engine. I wouldn't go by a distance measurement, but a time one. I personally like to let my vehicles (even my car) warm up for about 5 minutes before I use them, but I'm probably putting too much energy into that and I realize it's not always possible.

I think we as a whole put too much thought into "is it warm enough to open it up?" when in reality, if you have good oil pressure and the oil has circulated, nothing should break from the occasional cold rev. It seems more important to be wary of this during a break in period (like yours, Doug) than on a bike that has plenty of miles.

Dougald

Well, mine has done 3500 miles so I consider it "broken in" now. To be honest, other than my Bonneville (which needed warming up or it would bloody stall), I've always just started the engine, put my helmet on, and ridden off. I'm just very gentle coming out of my house, and the engine is generally warm enough once I get past a couple of sets of traffic lights

The Monster runs bloody hot though. I was caught in some roadworks on Saturday and watched the gauge climb from 80C to 100C in a few minutes, I thought it was going to burn my leg off! Apparently the fan doesn't even come on until 103C or so.

Technically I think you're supposed to remap/rejet on any exhaust change, but I doubt most people bother when installing just an end can, unless it's an "official" swap from the dealer - I know Triumph have a map they install when you buy Arrow cans from them, for instance. If you're buying for performance then get a remap, if you're buying for noise, it's probably not worth bothering

I was caught in some roadworks on Saturday and watched the gauge climb from 80C to 100C in a few minutes, I thought it was going to burn my leg off! Apparently the fan doesn't even come on until 103C or so.

Yoiks. My SV650 slowly climbs from 172F up to 196F or so, then the cooling system kicks in and it drops very fast back down to 172F, repeat. Made me incredibly nervous the first few days of riding.

DRZ only has a 'you're screwed' light, no temp readout. No tach either, was a weird adjustment.

Yoiks. My SV650 slowly climbs from 172F up to 196F or so, then the cooling system kicks in and it drops very fast back down to 172F, repeat. Made me incredibly nervous the first few days of riding.

DRZ only has a 'you're screwed' light, no temp readout. No tach either, was a weird adjustment.

What year SV? From my googling, 172 and 196F are about 78C and 91C, respectively. On my SV (2011 model) it will go up to around ~100C without turning up the cooling.

Dougald

According to the internet, fans come on at 217F coolant temperature on the M1200. You get a temperature warning on the dash at 225. Let me tell you, 210F is bloody hot when that exhaust is right next to your right leg!

It's still not as bad as the Street Triple which would stay hot even in traffic, with the coolant bottle helpfully positioned under your seat for maximum heat transfer

Watevaman

Yeah, fans come on between 203 and 214 on the ZRX and I can feel the heat even when I'm moving up to about 30 mph. The warning light doesn't even come on until 234 or so.

I can't imagine pipes being that close helps at all either.

Back from Utah. My entire trip was about 1700 miles.

I did a few laps on the flat track they have made near the camp ground and lets say it didn't go very well for me. It looks way worse than it actually is.

I rode through Rain, Sleet, Extreme heat (107 degrees) but man it was worth it. I'm thinking of towing my bike next year for this event. Riding all that once was more than enough and I'd like to take a dirt bike.

I'm very jealous. That's awesome and you made it back in one piece! Mostly, haha.

No srsly, glad you seem to be alright. Hell of a bruise :(

What year SV? From my googling, 172 and 196F are about 78C and 91C, respectively. On my SV (2011 model) it will go up to around ~100C without turning up the cooling.

'03 naked, the first fuel injection year I believe.

I'm thinking of towing my bike next year for this event. Riding all that once was more than enough and I'd like to take a dirt bike.

I just bought a 10' by 5.5' aluminum trailer and I'm already planning to put moto chocks on it in case I want to haul the bike around. Now I just need to buy a bigger truck, too...

Dougald

I had my rearsets off last night to mess with the rear brake switch as it wasn't quite working properly.

Something something Italian bikes and reliability... Keeps me busy as it's been raining all week

Edit: new page demands pictures:

Booked my Harley in for its 5K service and was thinking about logistics of getting it down to Maidstone with my new job, but then found Warr's is like 1/2 a mile from my new office! Sorted.

I'll get them to check the exhaust too as I'm convinced Maidstone didn't install it properly and it's got a leak on the front cylinder causing some issues.

And heading to Jack Lilley tomorrow for my wife to order her Street Triple while I try to stay strong and NOT order the Speedy :-/

Alright, I've finally settled on a bike.

I know my driving abilities and my limitations and as much as I'd love to have a GSXR 750 I realised this weekend that I'm not ready after riding an R6

So I'm getting an R3, and it's beautiful so that's a nice bonus

Now that that's over with, my next step is to convince my buddy to start on his license. He's been wanting to since high school.

Dougald

Alright, I've finally settled on a bike.

I know my driving abilities and my limitations and as much as I'd love to have a GSXR 750 I realised this weekend that I'm not ready after riding an R6

So I'm getting an R3, and it's beautiful so that's a nice bonus

Now that that's over with, my next step is to convince my buddy to start on his license. He's been wanting to since high school.

Nice one, very sensible decision and the r3 is beautiful to boot. A year or so on that and you can easily upgrade if you want, as well

Top Bottom