• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

So I was supposed to go look at a TW today, had arranged with the seller and everything. Then they email me last saying it sold. This type of shit pisses me off even though I understand they want it gone to the first person to bring money. I had this happen with 4 places to live last year and now with a few bikes. You get into talks, arrange a meeting time and then they either don't respond or they do in short notice saying they sold it. It's rude as hell imo. I'm just venting, thought I'd be riding on a new bike this weekend.

Nice visit to Jack Lilley's this morning. Street Triple Rx ordered for my wife. They threw in the heated grips and alarm for us.

I managed to refrain from putting a deposit down on the Speed R. But I did have a sit on their Thruxton R demonstrator and as a result have booked in for test rides on both the Thruxton R and Speed R for next week. The Speed may be too close to the BMW in capability whereas the Thruxton has a lot more character for a weekend bike. If it goes as good as it looks & feels that could well be the bike to replace the Harley.

Had a mad time last weekend! A friend of mine works with a guy in a cruiser motorcycle club, so we scored an invite to a weekend away with them. Sydney to Batemans Bay, around 350 KM's, stay for the night for beers and then return the next day. Had around 30+ cruisers and trikes. Saturday was miserable on the way down, really wet and getting soaked all the way, stopped at a little town for some respite and all pulled into a little church car park. A member of the church came out, invited us all in to dry off and then made everyone hot chocolate, absolute star. Around 40 bikers in leathers in a little local church. The bloke was so nice, he took loads of pics of the bikes so his congregation would believe him. We all left tips to help out with the church.

The organization of the ride was great, experienced at the front, a couple riding up and down, a couple at the back. A few would hit every roundabout and junction before we got there and keep it clear so we could all get through. Riding through a little town with 30+ bikes is a great experience, everyone waving as we went through. Absolute brilliant bunch of guys and gals. Made us very welcome and even my mate on his Ducati SS (the anti-cruiser!) was made to feel welcome. Never thought about joining a motorcycle club before, but after this I can see the positive side of it.

Had a night in the pub and then slept in a hotel before heading back on a much warmer return trip. 750 km's covered by the time I got home, arse was aching, back was fucked but had a huge smile on my face!

Alright, I've finally settled on a bike.

I know my driving abilities and my limitations and as much as I'd love to have a GSXR 750 I realised this weekend that I'm not ready after riding an R6

So I'm getting an R3, and it's beautiful so that's a nice bonus

Now that that's over with, my next step is to convince my buddy to start on his license. He's been wanting to since high school.

Very nice...supposed to be the best 300 you can buy. Post pictures when you have it!

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Went for another bush ride this weekend with a mate
BvX6ePY.jpg

Wait, this is 1 wheel gaf :p

Ended up looping it try to do wheelies for the camera (wasn't my idea) and now I have a very purple toe haha.

2 gumbies in the bush for anyone interested.

Makki

On Friday my bike died from failing to charge the battery on my way back from work. Fortunately a coworker saw me pull over and gave me a charge, so I disconnected my headlights and managed to limp home.

I left the bike in the garage until today... low and behold my stator plug wires shorted when they overheated:

And my wonderful rectifier burnt out (tested it with a multimeter and it is all sorts of fucked):

Not wanting this crap to happen again, I'm doing a conversion to waterproof connectors all around and a MOFSET rectifier from an R1 as opposed to the shit units old Fireblades come with.

Dougald

Unlucky, that's exactly what happened to my Street Triple. I opened up the Stator to find half of it turned to charcoal

Great biking weather yesterday, and today. Even the wife has ridden her bike to work which must mean it's Sunny

Mr0I7Y7.jpg

Scarecrow

How much would it cost to take a motorcycle repair class in the states?

I'm currently in Vietnam. I'm mulling over the possibility of "interning" at one of the many motorbike shops they have around here. My V-nese is wretched. And I know basically the barest of bones about repair. But, I'd be pretty much working for free, here. And I'd be getting good hands on experience with some of the most busted bikes around. I've earned a good stack of cash here that I could live comfortably for another year here. But I'd like to know the general cost of getting actual education at a school.

I want to be able to fix my bike (or at least, know what's wrong with it) as I continue to teach English around the world. And this would give me a good chance to work on my language.

Great biking weather yesterday, and today. Even the wife has ridden her bike to work which must mean it's Sunny
Yep lovely out. I was tempted to point my GPS in the wrong direction this morning but had 3 important meetings. Which were then cancelled :-/

Now planning a long route home via Surrey & Kent avoiding the motorways.

1KZ5hqt.jpg

Yeah right in the middle of that exact area, Leiden. There's some fun roads there if you know where to look, though sometimes I wish I was a little closer to some proper mountain roads ;).

Dougald

"Mountains" in the Netherlands? Is that like the British definition of warm weather where as soon as it hits 18C everyones pretending its the mediterranean?

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of living in Berkshire really, there aren't many good roads here for riding, and what few we had are now 30/40mph and full of housing estates. Luckily it's only half an hours ride to some nicer countryside.

Yeah, it's pretty flat round these parts. Though I did discover that the area around Arnhem is actually rather pretty (and has some elevation). We also have Limburg, but that's a 2 hour drive...

I still say we should try to get together sometime to make some kind of GAF-Europe trip up there. I mean, the excellent company would no doubt make up for the more monotonous parts of the ride.

Stevey

I went to Southern Ireland many years ago with a few mates.
Great roads and scenery, but the weather was abysmal.

Love my Tomtom Rider 400!

Turn the bike on and it automatically says "Ride home?" I hit yes, go into the options and add some semi-random point in Surrey, hit "avoid highways", and it puts together a fantastic route. Lots of quiet roads with plenty of 50-60 zones. Great fun!

I priced the BMW Navigator V for the BMW (with the integration) but it's £610! And it came out 3 years ago. Not sure it's worth getting that just for the little jog dial. Much prefer the interface of the Tomtom.

Love my Tomtom Rider 400!

Turn the bike on and it automatically says "Ride home?" I hit yes, go into the options and add some semi-random point in Surrey, hit "avoid highways", and it puts together a fantastic route. Lots of quiet roads with plenty of 50-60 zones. Great fun!

I priced the BMW Navigator V for the BMW (with the integration) but it's £610! And it came out 3 years ago. Not sure it's worth getting that just for the little jog dial. Much prefer the interface of the Tomtom.

Yeah, I really appreciate the 'avoid highways' option on my Garmin 660. System is a bit slow, never was fast to begin with actually, but I suppose it's fine. I should make some time to mess with my own routes sometimes.

I went to Southern Ireland many years ago with a few mates.
Great roads and scenery, but the weather was abysmal.

You're from the UK?

How long have you had the Firebolt for?

Stevey

You're from the UK?

How long have you had the Firebolt for?

Yeah from the UK.
Had it 6 maybe 7 years now, cant quite remember.
It was a demo bike at a dealer, has a full stainless Micron system which you obviously cant get anymore as they've gone bust.Wavy front disc, I put some decent levers on I, the spring loaded belt tensionser and the double bubble screen.
The bloke I bought it off owned it, sold it to someone, then bought it back off them, then sold it to me, he said to contact him when I sell it as hell probably buy it back off me ;p
Just had its 10,000 mile service last week.

Dougald

Nice to see a Buell in the UK, see them so rarely here.

Anyone have an opinion on shorter riding boots (either ankle riding boots or the casual-style CE ones)? My Alt-Bergs are still going strong as you'd expect for the price, but I'd like something for urban trips that isn't such a pain to walk around in, especially in the summer.

Was at Road America this past weekend for work, took a few photos of the ol' Versys. Wish I had a better lens, can't capture shit at the race track with a 25-100mm.

reeqYqq.jpg

XGUvier.jpg

PplQdoy.jpg

L1UkSHu.jpg

I really dig the color on that Versys. Nice.

Yeah from the UK.
Had it 6 maybe 7 years now, cant quite remember.
It was a demo bike at a dealer, has a full stainless Micron system which you obviously cant get anymore as they've gone bust.Wavy front disc, I put some decent levers on I, the spring loaded belt tensionser and the double bubble screen.
The bloke I bought it off owned it, sold it to someone, then bought it back off them, then sold it to me, he said to contact him when I sell it as hell probably buy it back off me ;p
Just had its 10,000 mile service last week.

Ha, that doesn't surprise me. I haven't sold any of my Buells yet, but I can only imagine the regret that will no doubt follow soon after such an act.

I have a Firebolt as well, bought as a project two or three months ago. Literally everything that could have been busted in that engine was though :(. Even the damned camshaft bearings came loose. Looking at donor engines right now. Trouble is that this particular Firebolt isn't really a looker, like cosmetically speaking. So it might not actually be worth it to resurrect. Except that it's a Buell and therefore always worth saving, haha.

Stevey

I really dig the color on that Versys. Nice.

Ha, that doesn't surprise me. I haven't sold any of my Buells yet, but I can only imagine the regret that will no doubt follow soon after such an act.

I have a Firebolt as well, bought as a project two or three months ago. Literally everything that could have been busted in that engine was though :(. Even the damned camshaft bearings came loose. Looking at donor engines right now. Trouble is that this particular Firebolt isn't really a looker, like cosmetically speaking. So it might not actually be worth it to resurrect. Except that it's a Buell and therefore always worth saving, haha.

Haha.
Where do you get your spares from?
HD are going to stop support in 2019 IIRC.

Found this place the other day, have any experience with them?
http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/

Haha.
Where do you get your spares from?
HD are going to stop support in 2019 IIRC.

Found this place the other day, have any experience with them?
http://www.twinmotorcycles.nl/

Bingo!

Yeah, they are a 45 minute drive from where I live. Been coming there for two years now I think. Pretty much on a first name basis with one of the guys that runs it, Martin. Great guy, very helpful. I can definitely recommend hitting them up if you need anything. They've also 'vowed' to do everything in their power to keep Buells on the road for as long as possible. This includes producing replacement parts for stuff that goes out of stock. Thanks to them, I think we stand a pretty good chance of being able to to ride Buell for the rest of our lifetimes.

Stevey

Bingo!

Yeah, they are a 45 minute drive from where I live. Been coming there for two years now I think. Pretty much on a first name basis with one of the guys that runs it, Martin. Great guy, very helpful. I can definitely recommend hitting them up if you need anything. They've also 'vowed' to do everything in their power to keep Buells on the road for as long as possible. This includes producing replacement parts for stuff that goes out of stock. Thanks to them, I think we stand a pretty good chance of being able to to ride Buell for the rest of our lifetimes.

Sweet :D

Nice to see a Buell in the UK, see them so rarely here.

Anyone have an opinion on shorter riding boots (either ankle riding boots or the casual-style CE ones)? My Alt-Bergs are still going strong as you'd expect for the price, but I'd like something for urban trips that isn't such a pain to walk around in, especially in the summer.
I really rate my TCX X-Moves. Very comfortable on and off the bike. Still in perfect condition after 18 months. They have loads of similar function boots with different styles to suit.

Dougald

Good to know about the TCX. My wife has the Alpinestars J-6 casual-style shoes but finds them a bit uncomfortable.

It would be between TCX, a pair of mid-length Alpinestars boots, or the Alt-Berg Hoggs:

oUmPg0D.jpg

The Alt-Bergs are bloody expensive compared to the rest, but they are dual use boots and I also need a new pair of walking shoes. I absolutely love my Clubman Classics and think their stuff can't be beat, but am a bit wary about how much protection I'd get just from laces.

Dougald

Well it's taken me 5-6 weeks, 2 hours on hold and an email, but I finally got my refund back for the 9 days of insurance I had on the Street Triple. Bennetts' customer service seems to have gone downhill since the Saga takeover.

Decided to go with the X-Moves I think, I like that they (like the Stylmartins) have a cover for the laces, and they're a lot cheaper than the Stylmartin boots - I am just too wary of the laces getting caught up in the gearshift of something to buy the Alt-Berg boots. Plus I am pretty sure Ducati sell a rebranded version which I looked at in the dealership the other week and thought was very nice, but I'm not paying an extra £20 for a Ducati logo!

How often do you guys end up replacing boots due to the soles blowing out? I have a pair of Alpinestars S-MX6 and it bugs me that they don't have welted soles, which every pair of boots I own has so I can easily replace the soles when needed. Thinking of getting Toucans in the future for that reason, although those Stylemartin look quite nice also. Is that real welted stitching or just aesthetic on them?

Yeah, I've got a pair of Sidi's that are almost done because of that reason (soles). I now just use a pair of these:

2605_red_sprinter-700nns05.jpg

Though I don't suppose they are quite as safe as actual motorcycle boots.

Dougald

I'll start sounding like a shill, but order a pair of Alt-Bergs from England. As long as you take care of them they'll last forever, and they'll resole boots using the original factory lasts for £50. Mine are 3 years old and still look brand new, I fully expect to have them 10-20 years, with the occasional resole.

The pair of Alpinestars boots I had before that were falling apart after 2 years.

Stevey

I have an old pair of Oxtar boots, they squeak when I walk.

Got some new gloves today, Dainese Druid D1 long.
u1ia9Ho.jpg

Seem pretty comfy, will have a ride in them tonight

Dougald

Nice! I bought a pair of Dainese Carbon Cover ST gloves last year, they are the business, so comfy. Can't go back to anything else (except in the winter when Rukka is king).

Rizific

seeking some advice. currently on a ninja 300 and just entertaining the idea of upgrading to my next motorcycle. i like the styling of supersports, the sound of supersports, but hate the supersport riding position. i feel i could use more power and dont like how high strung the ninja300 is on california freeway speeds. so ive been eyeing the fz6r, ninja 650, and honda cbr500. ive sat on all three and in terms of comfort id rank them cbr500 > ninja 650 > fz6r. the honda is smaller and more similar in size to my 300, the fz seems huge, and the 650 is in the middle but still comfortable. what other options should i be looking at?

seeking some advice. currently on a ninja 300 and just entertaining the idea of upgrading to my next motorcycle. i like the styling of supersports, the sound of supersports, but hate the supersport riding position. i feel i could use more power and dont like how high strung the ninja300 is on california freeway speeds. so ive been eyeing the fz6r, ninja 650, and honda cbr500. ive sat on all three and in terms of comfort id rank them cbr500 > ninja 650 > fz6r. the honda is smaller and more similar in size to my 300, the fz seems huge, and the 650 is in the middle but still comfortable. what other options should i be looking at?

Yamaha MT07 (or FZ07).

And the Buell XB9S of course.

Trickytoon

Neo Member
I can't stop buying motorbikes (cross post from Pick-up thread).

Qhx81Mg.jpg

Feather light compared to the standard Bonneville and just enough grunt to get you out of trouble while keeping your licence, its a nice counterpoint to my sports bikes which make every ride to work feel like the TT.

Yamaha MT07 (or FZ07).

And the Buell XB9S of course.

Before I bought the Triumph I nearly pulled the trigger on a MT07, seriously comfortable and enough grunt to get you around and about. Don't expect fireworks from the engine, definitely worth a test ride.

Dougald

How does the Street Twin compare to the old Bonneville, if you've ridden one? I imagine it's quite similar in performance to my old 800 as Triumph seem to have specced them the same.

+1 on the MT07/FZ07. Of course you lose the fairing but it sounds like a Streetfighter/Naked-type bike is what you want - sportbike specs without the riding position. Or if you want to go further power-wise there is the ubiquitous Street Triple..

Top Bottom