• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

I can't stop buying motorbikes (cross post from Pick-up thread).

Yes, I'm dealing with similar problems.

Qhx81Mg.jpg

Feather light compared to the standard Bonneville and just enough grunt to get you out of trouble while keeping your licence, its a nice counterpoint to my sports bikes which make every ride to work feel like the TT.

That is really cool though. Seems like a very nice addition indeed. What other bikes do you have at the moment?

Before I bought the Triumph I nearly pulled the trigger on a MT07, seriously comfortable and enough grunt to get you around and about. Don't expect fireworks from the engine, definitely worth a test ride.

Yeah pretty much.

Trickytoon

Neo Member
How does the Street Twin compare to the old Bonneville, if you've ridden one? I imagine it's quite similar in performance to my old 800 as Triumph seem to have specced them the same.

The old Bonneville was very agricultural in comparison, felt heavier and more ponderous in terms of handling and the engine was a lot lazier. I mean it as a compliment when I say that the Street Twin feels very much like my old Suzuki SV650s in terms of weight, chassis and engine performance - nippy, nimble and very modern with some nice finishing touches and better build quality. Its perfect for a summer blast through the twisty English countryside.

That is really cool though. Seems like a very nice addition indeed. What other bikes do you have at the moment?

Cheers - my Honda VFR400 NC24 is posted somewhere earlier in this thread, which has had a Scorpion can and uprated suspension added. I've since added a 2000 Fireblade 929RR with an Arrow can, Power Commander and Ohlins steering damper and bits of a Suzuki GSXR600 K3 which I'm building up (or more precisely tearing apart) in my shed for track duty. I dont count my wifes YBR 125 as I dont technically own it, but its secretly my current favorite because its so low maintenance compared to the others....

Dougald

That's pleasantly surprising to hear. 'Agricultural ' is a pretty good description of the original Bonneville 800: slow, heavy, and doesn't stop (I still loved it). I am tempted by a new one but I think it would have to be a T120 for me. How are the brakes? I imagine that despite being a single disc, the fact it finally has ABS (and doesn't weigh half a ton) makes them much better

seeking some advice. currently on a ninja 300 and just entertaining the idea of upgrading to my next motorcycle. i like the styling of supersports, the sound of supersports, but hate the supersport riding position. i feel i could use more power and dont like how high strung the ninja300 is on california freeway speeds. so ive been eyeing the fz6r, ninja 650, and honda cbr500. ive sat on all three and in terms of comfort id rank them cbr500 > ninja 650 > fz6r. the honda is smaller and more similar in size to my 300, the fz seems huge, and the 650 is in the middle but still comfortable. what other options should i be looking at?
Or Honda CBR650F? That's a really nice looking "comfortable sports" bike with a really nice smooth engine (in line 4). Honda in UK is doing that bike for £49 a month on PCP which is a steal.

I can't stop buying motorbikes (cross post from Pick-up thread).

Qhx81Mg.jpg
Very nice! Same for me. I've just ordered a BMW, test riding 2 Triumphs this week one of which I'll be buying, and now I don't want to sell my Harley :-/

And my wife's just ordered a Street Triple, and hasn't sold her Harley yet.

Garage is getting a bit cramped!

Speaking of which if anyone knows anyone in the UK who wants to buy a mint 2015 Harley Iron 883 in Silver Candy let me know.

Dougald

Man, all those MT-10 video reviews on yt are just killing me.

It looks soooo good. Once I have mastered the 135bhp of my Monster (and become bored and/or pissed off with Ducati), it's definitely #1 on my list. I'd stick a screen and panniers on it and make an MT-10 Tracer.

Just got my new boots, I went with the X-Moves as the style probably screams "Ducati" the most out of their range. Fit is surprisingly good for me, and they seem protective enough for that size boot, though hopefully that will never get put to the test.

I'll start sounding like a shill, but order a pair of Alt-Bergs from England. As long as you take care of them they'll last forever, and they'll resole boots using the original factory lasts for £50. Mine are 3 years old and still look brand new, I fully expect to have them 10-20 years, with the occasional resole.

The pair of Alpinestars boots I had before that were falling apart after 2 years.

I've had a pair of these for 6 years, still mint except for some scuffing on the leather, best pair of boots I ever bought, they did cost me a few hundred quid but worth every penny.

pg1178a.jpg

Hand made in Spain, saw a picture of David Beckham wearing a pair and tracked them down expecting them to be in the thousands designer shite bracket, they weren't, just really good quality boots, Beckham even said they were his favourite boots ever, and whatever else he is, he is a biker.

Dougald

Come on Yamaha, if our own Richardhawk can make a more scrambler-y scrambler out of a small cruiser in a garage, your factory should be able to

Scramblers are so hot rn.
17_SCR950_Grey_A2.jpg

I wouldn't call this thing a scrambler but Yamaha went ahead and did.

I think this is one of the reasons I love Suzuki--I'm allergic to "aspirational lifestyle" marketing and they seem so out of it marketing-wise (the GSX R1000 gallery doesn't even have a picture with a person in it!) that I never really encounter any of it from them.

Dougald

After 9pm in the summer really is the best time to ride.. No traffic, still warm enough for regular gear. I put the bike back into sport and holy hell I underestimated just how much Touring mode babies you with the throttle. Unfortunately Ducati seem to think that I want an ugly, unreadable dash in sport mode too, I'll have to figure out how to change it

Absolutely love the bike to bits though. Don't miss my Street Triple in the slightest despite it being a more polished machine in my opinion.

Yeah though polished is low on my list of bike priorities anyway.

And hell yes, summer evenings are the best for riding. As they are for many things :D

Watevaman

Was behind a Diavelon the highway yesterday. Even with my windows all rolled up and music on going 80 mph, I could still feel the exhaust from his bike and could hear it when he opened it up a bit to pass. I don't think I've ever seen one on the road before, I liked the dual tail lights. When I first saw them at the gas station across the street and heard the bike, I almost thought it was an SV of some sort.

Awesome test rides this morning thanks to Jack Lilley

And after that the Thruxton R is ordered. Silver Ice with the short LED indicators front and rear, alarm, heated grips. I may add the fender eliminator but not sure yet.

Long lead time at the moment so looking at September delivery. Such a smooth comfortable competent machine. So refined. My Harley felt 19th century after riding that thing. For the road it's every bit as capable (in my hands for my needs) than the Speed with more comfort, more refinement, and less intimidating for a short arse like me.

Whoop!

Dougald

Lovely choice. How is the Thruxton engine wise? I hear it really blows the old models away, and being utterly gorgeous doesn't hurt either

Great colour choice too, the silver is really nice in person, especially with those gold forks

Lovely choice. How is the Thruxton engine wise? I hear it really blows the old models away, and being utterly gorgeous doesn't hurt either

Great colour choice too, the silver is really nice in person, especially with those gold forks
The engine is an absolute peach. So smooth and responsive. Pulls in any gear, feels torquey and it'll rev. The gearbox is also super slick.

I was worried the Speed would just blow it out of the water in smoothness and handling and stopping power but it really doesn't. Yes top end the Speed will, but how often would I use that? Never.

Highly recommend getting in for a test ride if you can.

So I've been thinking about Moto Guzzi's for a while, and wandered into the dealer. Accidentally bought a V7 II Stone in red. It was such a quirky thing on my test ride and a real looker that I had to have it.

Only problem is I bought it in Cleveland and I'm living/working in South Carolina right now so it'll be a few weeks before it's shipped over. Riding my Iron 883 in the meantime just won't seem any where near as much fun. :( Guess it's time to detail it out and sell it!

@blackprophesy - Great that you went for the RS, its a great looking and riding bike. Where did you buy it from - Park Royal or Bahnstormer?

@Dougald - I am glad you are liking this new machine of yours. Its a great looking bike and man that thing sounds awesome.

I am back on the bike after my two week holiday and riding in the rain was what I had to start with this morning lol. Still enjoyed it.

So I've been thinking about Moto Guzzi's for a while, and wandered into the dealer. Accidentally bought a V7 II Stone in red. It was such a quirky thing on my test ride and a real looker that I had to have it.

Only problem is I bought it in Cleveland and I'm living/working in South Carolina right now so it'll be a few weeks before it's shipped over. Riding my Iron 883 in the meantime just won't seem any where near as much fun. :( Guess it's time to detail it out and sell it!

Excellent, hope to see some pics soon!

And after that the Thruxton R is ordered.

Just to be sure: didn't you also buy that BMW RS the other day?

Just to be sure: didn't you also buy that BMW RS the other day?

Erm. Yes. Selling the Harley though. So a good commute & touring bike, and a fun weekend bike. Wasn't planning two new ones in such quick succession however. You'd understand once you ride the Thruxton as to why I didn't want to wait.

@blackprophesy - Great that you went for the RS, its a great looking and riding bike. Where did you buy it from - Park Royal or Bahnstormer?
From BMW Park Lane. It's the closest for me although not great for test rides cause you're stuck in traffic for most of it. Although good for testing for commuting & filtering I guess. Bahnstormer is too far and inconvenient for me. Park Lane salesperson I've been dealing with has been good though I'm not generally a fan of the dealership. Bought a jacket there a long time back and terrible service that time.

Dougald

That Thruxton is going to do a hell of a better job at weekend fun than the Harley. It's most definitely not a touring bike though, so plenty of crossover for the RS. I'd say you've got a good combination lined up

Commuting on the Thruxton wouldn't be so bad (if a little impractical), but I speak from experience that the maintenance to keep all that nice chrome looking good as a result of commuting is a pain in the arse. Rain and salt hates classically styled bikes, and boxers are just so great for racking up the miles. I won't be taking the Ducati if I have to go to the office in the winter, I tell you that much.

Nice, you have the same tool chest as me! My garage looks like a bombsite though. Where did you get the cabinets?
Mine did look like a bomb site a couple of weeks ago. A few trips to the local recycling centre sorted that.

They're NewAge Performance series. And I got them (and the flooring) from GaragePride.co.uk. Very good service for delivery. Although found that one of the doors on the tall cabinets is missing rubber/nylon grommets top and bottom so it's not opening closing smoothly. I've asked if they can get the part I'm sure I can fit it. Meantime I've ordered what look to be ones that'll work and see if I can sort it. I'd rather not go to the hassle of getting the whole thing replaced if I can avoid it.

ps the BMW is due Monday so booked Tuesday off and praying to Ra for sun.

Exciting times, your garage is nice a neat...I can fit two bikes in but the wife does not want to give the go ahead and I dont know when I will find the time to ride both at this time.

I am so looking forward to the bmw scrambler when it lands in Sep. I like the back to basics looks of it the same as the rnineT.

British Summer huh. Bringing my waterproofs every day at the moment cause it doesn't matter what the forecast in the morning it changes so quickly.

Just spoke with my dad in New Zealand over the weekend and he's going to get my old stored Suzuki Bandit 250 up and running and registered for next time I'm there. Sweet. Pretty sure I've got an old photo of it somewhere I'll dig out.

British Summer huh. Bringing my waterproofs every day at the moment cause it doesn't matter what the forecast in the morning it changes so quickly.

Just spoke with my dad in New Zealand over the weekend and he's going to get my old stored Suzuki Bandit 250 up and running and registered for next time I'm there. Sweet. Pretty sure I've got an old photo of it somewhere I'll dig out.

oh man that would be great to see the Bandit up and running.

TomServo

Little man helping me with maintenance... oil change, brake fluid flush, chain service, wash & wax.

QEOEcQc.jpg

Not too bad for a 13+ year old bike, IMHO. Getting some new shoes this week. Really looking forward to ditching the Pirelli Diablo Rossos, they had no feel at all.

j5wNchD.jpg

Top Bottom