• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Hey motorcycleGAF! What are people's thoughts on magnetic drain plugs? I'm going to do my first oil change in the next few days on my FZ-09 and I'm trying to decide if getting a magnetic plug would be worth it.

I just put one in the BMW as it was actually cheaper than getting a standard one from the dealer. I'll let you know in a year, but I don't see any reason not to.

Watevaman

The rex has one and while it's at almost 35k miles, it has the occasional metal shaving on the plug. I imagine for the break in periods, they'd be even more useful since the engine will be wearing a bit more as the pieces fit together better. For how cheap they are, I would definitely run one on all my vehicles.

Dougald

I have a pair of Hood Jeans, my wife has the draggins which she likes. I prefer the hoods to be honest as they are fully Kevlar lined rather than patches, though they are boiling in the summer

Yay BMW day is here! Hyped! Didn't hardly sleep and work today will mostly consist of coffee and browsing Nippy Normans until pickup time (oh and phoning the insurance company thieves).

Yay BMW day is here! Hyped! Didn't hardly sleep and work today will mostly consist of coffee and browsing Nippy Normans until pickup time (oh and phoning the insurance company thieves).

Nice one, I picked up my 1150gs in 2004 from park lane and had to drive out of london without a GPS in peak hour traffic to Reading in the rain. It was crap weather but man it was great to be on a bike.

Enjoy the pickup

OraleeWey

Do you guys think this will wear out the rear tire faster?

0kc6XeO.jpg

Dougald

It'll wear the tyre for sure. But the rear will almost always wear more than the front anyway, so it's not really a problem in that regard. I've always found my rears last half as long as the fronts.

Oh yeah! Love it. So smooth and responsive and comfortable and quiet and effortless.

3 miles on the clock at pickup now 30 miles. And tomorrow off to get out and scrub the tires in. Very happy the weather cleared up in London this afternoon, and by the time I hit the A2 the traffic was cleared.

Oh yeah! Love it. So smooth and responsive and comfortable and quiet and effortless.

3 miles on the clock at pickup now 30 miles. And tomorrow off to get out and scrub the tires in. Very happy the weather cleared up in London this afternoon, and by the time I hit the A2 the traffic was cleared.

Grats and I love that colour. Hope you have loads of excellent miles to come

Dougald

It's got it's niggles as expected, nowhere near as perfect as the Triumph. But I still love it! I've taken to running it in touring mode for mileage on the motorway, and sport with abs/tc on everywhere else. I just don't like the artificially weak throttle response on the lower powered modes

I'm not working this week so trying to plan a good ride, but the weather is fighting me every step of the way

It's got it's niggles as expected, nowhere near as perfect as the Triumph. But I still love it! I've taken to running it in touring mode for mileage on the motorway, and sport with abs/tc on everywhere else. I just don't like the artificially weak throttle response on the lower powered modes

I'm not working this week so trying to plan a good ride, but the weather is fighting me every step of the way

Yeah the weather is just awful :(, starting to suspect it's going to be like this all summer.

Also, congratulations blackprophesy. Lovely bike! Post some more pictures when you get the chance.

Dougald

Just did an afternoon run to Loomies motorcycle cafe. Definitely the place to go in the south of England, and right near bahnstormer BMW too

Just did an afternoon run to Loomies motorcycle cafe. Definitely the place to go in the south of England, and right near bahnstormer BMW too
Ha I was there earlier today and had a way too big burger for lunch. Nice spot. Probably 20 bikes in while I was there.

Did an almost 200 mile run on the new bike today down to GetGeared in Leatherhead, over to Loomies, up to Bahnstormer and then home the long way. Avoided motorways for the most part to give the engine a good breaking in. Lots of varied speeds. Took it super easy on the way down as there was loads of gravel and shit on some of the roads. Tyres should be much better now.

Bike is perfect for me. It's actually quite a sporty position and it's a bit more on the wrists than I remember from the test ride. Nothing major and it's probably mostly from coming from the Harley as its a pretty dramatic change.

Dougald

Damn, well I definitely didn't spot you, no BMWs in the car park apart from our massive yellow thing. Glad to hear you're enjoying it, I will use your experience over the next couple of years to gauge whether I should get one!

There was an R1M parked up though. Beautiful.

Damn, well I definitely didn't spot you, no BMWs in the car park apart from our massive yellow thing. Glad to hear you're enjoying it, I will use your experience over the next couple of years to gauge whether I should get one!

There was an R1M parked up though. Beautiful.
I was there from around 12:30-13:30. I did see an R1M come in and park up not long before I left. What a beast. Sounds amazing.

Watevaman

Wish we had biker cafes like that over here. The closest thing to me that I know of is a little restaurant about an hour away but only Harleys show up there. :(

You two should get together and make a "new bikes" video.

Dougald

Wish we had biker cafes like that over here. The closest thing to me that I know of is a little restaurant about an hour away but only Harleys show up there. :(

You two should get together and make a "new bikes" video.

I think the fact that bikes are a bit more of a working class tradition, rather than toys, helps the culture a bit here. I think sometimes we take these places which have been around for decades for granted. The high population density helps too.

In the 50s when my mum was growing up she would ride pillion with my grandfather, and my gran in the sidecar my grandad built out of sheet metal. Not for fun but because they couldn't afford a car. I'll have to see if I can get a photo sometime..

Watevaman

Well, some guy is gonna be coming to look at the ZRX on Friday. I may soon be leaving you, 2-wheelGAF. Hopefully it won't be too long of a period before I find a new toy, though. I'm always on the lookout for TWs.

Pricing announced for the BMW G310R and the Scramblers

G310R is £4290 which is very competitive against the Duke 390, MT-03, Z300. It's lower power but lower price than all of them. Be interesting to see the build quality at that price.

The Scrambler is £10,550 or £11,090 depending on model. Shame they didn't get the base price under £10k cause that would've been a really sweet spot for a lot of buyers I think.

http://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...lity-bmw-g310r-rninet-scrambler/#.V2xvOr9LOJK

nico1982

G310R is £4290 which is very competitive against the Duke 390, MT-03, Z300. It's lower power but lower price than all of them. Be interesting to see the build quality at that price.
Here in Italy the BMW price 5150 euro, versus 5200 for the KTM, 5090 for the Yamaha and 5190 for the Kawasaki. They have basically the same price, even if Yamaha and Kawasaki dealers are more inclined to apply discount (especially the latter).

It is nice to see more variety in the small displacement market. I know a few peoples waiting for a 390 Adventure or something along those lines...

Watevaman

Guy looking at the ZRX couldn't go any higher on his offer so I had to reject it. He pulled the "OEM fairing costs xxx so take that off your price and I'll take it" thing. Kind of similar to what I did with a guy when I was looking for a ZRX. His had a tank dent and I asked if he could take the cost of the tank off the bike but it was no go.

Dougald

Guy looking at the ZRX couldn't go any higher on his offer so I had to reject it. He pulled the "OEM fairing costs xxx so take that off your price and I'll take it" thing. Kind of similar to what I did with a guy when I was looking for a ZRX. His had a tank dent and I asked if he could take the cost of the tank off the bike but it was no go.

Like you didn't price that in already

Wow sometimes even on a bike the London traffic drives me insane. 1 hour 50 to do 27 miles this afternoon. God. Damn.

But anyhoo wifey picked up her Street Triple Rx so we had a nice ride home together. And then I had to take the Rx around the block for a quick ride. Wow you really sit over the front wheel of that bike!

Dougald

That's what I love about naked bikes. It's like you're flying on the road

Though I also love the commanding position of the wife's r1150r

Anybody like motorcycle pictures?

3MYqJill.jpg

pPOj3Cml.jpg

Osv56NJl.jpg

Album for Full Size

My brand new '16 Moto Guzzi V7 II Stone. To say that it's a different animal from my current '12 HD Iron 883 is a bit of an understatement. I've only had the chance to put about 50 miles on today considering weather, traffic and such, but I'm having a blast on it. Quirky, comfortable, very charismatic engine and a really nice noise. I'm also fairly impressed with the fit and finish on this vs. the harley. From new everything on that felt just slightly loose, whereas this feels properly set up, and I can still see the torque marks on each and every bolt (so sexy).

Sure I'm in the break-in period but uh... Well I waited to get it nice and hot before opening the throttle, and I'm still being a good boy and keeping it below 5500 rpm. I just have to get the throttle on to set the rings, and I'll be changing oil sooner than the 600 mile marker. Now where to find some AGIP 10w60. ???

Edit: Pretty sure I'm gonna pick up a fender delete fairly soon. Looks good with but better without.

Dougald

Looks lovely. Does it do the Guzzi thing of trying to jump off the side stand when you Rev it? It must corner like a dream

Just got back from a countryside early morning rideout, waking up all the Brexiters with my filthy Italian motorcycle

Looks lovely. Does it do the Guzzi thing of trying to jump off the side stand when you Rev it? It must corner like a dream
It kicks some butt, and you have to lean against it whenever you rev it at a stop or it will for sure go over. I'm sure the next time I ride something else I'll fall over from overcompensating.

Top Bottom