• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

I love that orange, awesome colour. And I love your garage floor too!

The SV650 really is one of the all time great bikes, IMO. In all its guises.

VglLqKa.png

I shouldn't complain, it only gets worse. I don't care, rain or no rain, Ducati or not, I'm riding this weekend

6 days and 7 hours till I pickup my new bike. HYPE!

Busy browsing Nippy Normans for add ons, mostly to keep the underside clean as possible and to hook up my TomTom at the moment. Going for the front engine guard, rear "mudsling" to keep crap off the shock etc, and the rear mudguard/hugger.

Little man helping me with maintenance... oil change, brake fluid flush, chain service, wash & wax.

QEOEcQc.jpg

Not too bad for a 13+ year old bike, IMHO. Getting some new shoes this week. Really looking forward to ditching the Pirelli Diablo Rossos, they had no feel at all.

Nice! There's some pictures of me like that with my dad ('working' on an original Z1000 back in the day).

As for tires, I never really liked Pirelli either in terms of feel. I can recommend Michelin, either the road or the powers. Both have excellent feel.

/edit: picture of a picture, but here it is

TomServo

That looks super clean.

Wow you've looked after that well. Nice job. And jealous of what looks like a very spacious garage!

I love that orange, awesome colour. And I love your garage floor too!

Not bad at all :O
How many kilometers?

Thanks for the compliments, gents!

The bike's only got around 11,000 miles / 17,500 km on the clock. I got it at 4,500 miles from a gent with three nicely maintained Ducatis keeping it company in his garage, so I've only had to continue his work.

I haven't been riding nearly as much as I used to; I was in the habit of commuting four or five days a week on the bike. Need to get back into that habit.

Nice! There's some pictures of me like that with my dad ('working' on an original Z1000 back in the day).

As for tires, I never really liked Pirelli either in terms of feel. I can recommend Michelin, either the road or the powers. Both have excellent feel.

Love the pics! I've got some like that with my old man, and I treasure them.

Good to hear about Michelins... the local shop recommended Road 4's, and that's what's going on tomorrow.

The Pirellis... ugh. I've got RaceTech springs and heavier fork oil in the front, a ZX-14 shock on the rear (it just happened to have the spring rate recommended by RaceTech for my weight), and have set the rider sag properly. I still feel completely disconnected from the front end of the bike. There was a time when I had both this bike and my bone stock 2011 Ninja 250, and I'd drag the pegs on the street on the 250 with its cheap IRC tires while being terrified to lean the SV at all.

The Pirellis... ugh. I've got RaceTech springs and heavier fork oil in the front, a ZX-14 shock on the rear (it just happened to have the spring rate recommended by RaceTech for my weight), and have set the rider sag properly. I still feel completely disconnected from the front end of the bike. There was a time when I had both this bike and my bone stock 2011 Ninja 250, and I'd drag the pegs on the street on the 250 with its cheap IRC tires while being terrified to lean the SV at all.

Hah, same here. Was wondering whether it was just me, because it is baffling that such a huge brand can evoke feelings like that on a bike. It was a revelation when I bought a bike that had Michelins fitted. Just so much better.

Dougald

Pirellis are stock on the Monster 1200, you guys are making me glad mine has PR4s!

I've always been more of a Battlax man myself, but the Michelins are perfectly good, not a single squirrely moment. Always preferred sport touring tyres for the inevitable wet roads that Northern Europe brings.

Watevaman

The Sport Demons I had on the GS500 were amazing. Still the only tire I've completely gotten to the side on. I mean, I like my Pilot Powers I've got on the ZRX but they haven't been put through the same as the Demons so I can't say how they stack to one another.

TomServo

I actually found an old review of the Diablo Rossos that made them out to be good once they had some serious heat in them, but mirrored my feelings for cold (presumably street) riding. Honestly I was surprised to see such negative comments in a magazine review, even if they did caveat them saying they were better with heat in them.

/edit: picture of a picture, but here it is

That last picture is just classic, thanks for sharing.

Dougald

So after 3 weeks of waiting I now discover that Ducati Cambridge never even sent off the new keeper details to the DVLA for my bike, this after they hadn't serviced it for me when I collected it. They are nice enough people in there but the admin is just atrocious, I can safely say anyone in the UK should avoid them, at least for the next year or two until they get it sorted out.

Which means I still need to find a decent dealership to work with... third time lucky maybe

So after 3 weeks of waiting I now discover that Ducati Cambridge never even sent off the new keeper details to the DVLA for my bike, this after they hadn't serviced it for me when I collected it. They are nice enough people in there but the admin is just atrocious, I can safely say anyone in the UK should avoid them, at least for the next year or two until they get it sorted out.

Which means I still need to find a decent dealership to work with... third time lucky maybe

wow man, you are not having great luck with dealers. Hope they get it sorted out quick

Next time I should just buy a BMW at least I know Bahnstormer are trustworthy...

lol, its weird how the other dealer really make money if the service is not really that good. You would think they would be good to get the basics right as its a easy check sheet style process.

I found this Honda dealer to be great. This is where I test ride the MSX. Service and communication as great. (http://www.hatfieldshonda.co.uk/)

That Africa Twin looks nice mmmm (close eyes and leave wallet at home lol)

I think I'll be using Bahnstormer for my services, even though it's quite a way out for me. Assuming they do courtesy bikes of course.

yes they do... I usually line up a test ride while they service the bike. Rode the XR and R last time they serviced my bike. Also the coffee and cakes are nice.

Dougald

At least I still love the Monster! Even if it is a major pain to work on, but I think that's just the Italian philosophy.. The BMW is a home mechanics dream and I think it's spoilt me

I am hoping for the new scrambler to come in at a lower price than the R1200R so I can trade mine in and get a old school looking R80GS
Yeah I really want to try the RnineT and the new Scrambler out. They look great

I followed a lovely new red Thruxton R through town a bit yesterday. I definitely made the right choice. He had the "Track Racer" pack with the fairing and it really does look smart. Might look at adding that and the vance & hines at some point. In the meantime I've asked the dealer to add the fender eliminator and knee pads. Can't wait!

Oh and 4 days till BMW pickup :-D

Yeah I really want to try the RnineT and the new Scrambler out. They look great

I followed a lovely new red Thruxton R through town a bit yesterday. I definitely made the right choice. He had the "Track Racer" pack with the fairing and it really does look smart. Might look at adding that and the vance & hines at some point. In the meantime I've asked the dealer to add the fender eliminator and knee pads. Can't wait!

Oh and 4 days till BMW pickup :-D

Great stuff, so next week is xmas for you...

Quick trip to the beach today to try the new low seat I got:

Such a great bike. I need a new rear wheel though :(. Previous owner had the bearings fail on him while abroad, the shop that fixed it however damaged, nay ruined, the wheel when putting in new ones. Luckily we might be bringing over an entire crashed '08 Firebolt because we need a new engine for our project. If that all works out, I'll just take the rear wheel from that bike.

Watevaman

The Ulysses definitely looks better than any other dualsport style bike imo. I love the dual lights and the stance is very well organized. Nothing really seems out of place.

BubbaMc

I just traded my 2013 Multistrada Pikes Peak in on one of these:

P90154905-bmw-k-1600-gt-black-storm-metallic-07-2014-1999px.jpg

Hopefully it'll be the bike that sees me through a good many years after the disappointment that was the Ducati (semi-active suspension is not ready for widespread use in my opinion).

I took the K1600GT for a test ride the other day and was sold almost immediately. The ride is unlike any other bike I've ridden in terms of comfort and smoothness, and it handled beautifully.

Pics and review to come in 2 weeks if anyone is interested :)

BubbaMc

Just spoke with my dad in New Zealand over the weekend and he's going to get my old stored Suzuki Bandit 250 up and running and registered for next time I'm there. Sweet. Pretty sure I've got an old photo of it somewhere I'll dig out.

Where does your dad live in NZ? Dude, the riding over there is some of the best in the world. I'm very jealous!

Dougald

That K1600 is supposed to have one of the best engines in the world, congratulations!

You could ride a thousand miles on that thing and not get tired, makes my old Pan European look primitive.

BubbaMc

Thanks.

I live in Western Australia and our roads are very long and straight, so this bike should suit perfectly.

I'm already planning trips across the country - 37 hours to Melbourne but this bike will do it on its' ear :)

Dougald

I had a good nose at the 2016 model at the bike show earlier this year as I have a soft spot for the big tourers, super comfortable.

How does it ride? I've always been pleasantly surprised at the handling of those bikes. My ST1100 could scrape the footpegs in the bends with ease once you got it moving. I expect the motor pulls like a freight train.

3IBv1NI.jpg

^me clearly pretending I had enough money for that GTL

BubbaMc

The engine sounds like a Porsche 911 and feels like an electric motor - totally smooth without a hint of vibration.

Suspension provides a more comfortable ride than most cars, never experienced anything like it on a bike.

It looks like we might be in for a few models in the r nine t range coming the end of the year. The entry price as far I know is £8500. But we will have to see.

R Nine T Standard (road)

dZOdPUi.jpg

R Nine T Sport classic (cafe racer)

Ffpgk78.png

R Nine T GS (to look like the old R80GS) want one

3uQBvhJ.jpg

i5kYycT.jpg

R Nine T scramber (standard on)

9ncfgHB.jpg

BubbaMc

I'd say the primary difference is the BMW isn't trying desperately hard to be something it's not. Like anyone who owns a Multistrada actually takes it off-road..

Yep. The manual actually states "not to be ridden off-road" iirc. The new Enduro model appears to be a different story though.

Where does your dad live in NZ? Dude, the riding over there is some of the best in the world. I'm very jealous!
He's in Auckland (north shore) at the moment but I think he's planning to move once he properly retires. Probably to the Bay of Plenty or Coromandel somewhere. My sister is in he South Island and she loaned us her dirt bikes last time we visited. Can't wait to do a proper riding tour down there with my wife.

I just traded my 2013 Multistrada Pikes Peak in on one of these:

P90154905-bmw-k-1600-gt-black-storm-metallic-07-2014-1999px.jpg

Hopefully it'll be the bike that sees me through a good many years after the disappointment that was the Ducati (semi-active suspension is not ready for widespread use in my opinion).

I took the K1600GT for a test ride the other day and was sold almost immediately. The ride is unlike any other bike I've ridden in terms of comfort and smoothness, and it handled beautifully.

Pics and review to come in 2 weeks if anyone is interested :)
Wow nice dude. That's a beast. Would love one one day.

Bsigg12

Hey motorcycleGAF! What are people's thoughts on magnetic drain plugs? I'm going to do my first oil change in the next few days on my FZ-09 and I'm trying to decide if getting a magnetic plug would be worth it.

Top Bottom