• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Loving the trunk, that KLR is a hell of a workhorse. It sounds like you're starting to get the itch for something else, that's something that seems to be inevitable!

At least having started on the KLR you should be well placed to replace it with almost anything when the time comes. I would guess either a Versys/Tracer for the slightly sportier route, or a big GS for the 'bigger faster KLR' route would be good choices... But don't be too quick to sell your first bike

Rode over to GetGeared to buy a cable for my TomTom to put on the Street Triple. Came back with a cable and a new jacket. Now guaranteed to rain for the next month.

Damnit man now it's going to rain in England all month. Except this week because I'm waiting until Friday for those replacement Ducati bolts. It'll be beautiful this week.

OraleeWey

Dougald, you sure do know my style! The Kawasaki Versys and the BMW GS are at the top of my "potential list" and lately I've also been very fond of the Honda Africa Twin.

Also, let me ask you guys this, is it true that a 1,000cc bike requires more maintenance? Especially replacing the tires because apparently they wear out faster. So it could be an expensive investment?

Is there ever a reason why you would choose a 1,000cc over a 600/650cc other than more power?

Dougald

I haven't really noticed big bikes needing more maintenance, heck, my Monster 1200 only needs valve clearances every 18k miles, and that's a Ducati! I'd say the biggest cost difference would be your insurance premium.

In a lot of cases, apart from power I'd say larger bikes are generally a bit better for long range riding for comfort and power. It's horses for courses really, I've met several people who would never buy less than a litre but I think that's just due to the mentality that anything else would be a 'downgrade'. Smaller bikes are lighter and pretty much anything over 500cc these days will go well beyond the realms of legal speeds.

Honestly, the reasons I chose the bigger Monster were the single sided swingarm and adjustable suspension, I would have easily been happy with the 821 engine.

Edit: The Africa twin is also awesome. If it weren't for my Triumph exploding I may have ended up getting on the 6 month waiting list for one.

Yeah, differences with regards to maintenance are often negligible. Though it's possible to save money there if you choose a bike that's easy to work on so that you don't have to take it to the shop for small services. Other than that, regardless of size, you bring your bike somewhere for someone else to work on it, you're leaving a couple hundred lighter.

OraleeWey

Ok that's good to know. A buddy of mine told me a bigger bike would need more maintenance but he doesn't actually own one so I just wanted to fact check him, hehe.

Anyway, yeah I guess I'm getting that more powerful bike itch. To be fair, I just need some extra cc's to be able to get away from highway traffic more efficiently. It truly feels like I'm playing frogger when I'm on the highway. If only people weren't going 70+ on a 55. I believe it's my tires but at I can only go so fast. After 70mph my handlebars wobble a bit. Obviously if I notice that they start to wobble I'll not go any faster. From what I understand it is the tires, possibly. Just a little bit of air can cause me to wobble. When the road is nice and smooth, I can push it a little more before it wobbles. I'll get some tires that are more geared towards the road when I have worn my current ones down. I don't want to sound cliché, but it's the truth. I'm perfectly happy with my KLR650 and if I could do it again I'd choose the same bike again.

I want to get a slightly louder exhaust for it. I'm probably going to get the Lexx slip on exhaust and install it. The stock exhaust is like 10lbs alone, so it should make it nice and lighter. Possibly more power? At some point I'm going to have to do the infamous doohickey upgrade as well.

Edit: I knew I should have bought that exhaust earlier though. But I wasn't decided yet, now they're sold out everywhere! Dammit.

Edit #2: Yup. More available on September and one on backorder.

Dougald

Wobble at higher speed sounds like it's almost certainly the tyre. I guess it could also be your wheel or headstock bearings, but my money's on the tyre. Is it quite old? Tread, pressures ok?

Edit: oh yeah, I guess if they're more off road tyres that might not help too. But I've never ridden with anything but road or sport tyres!

GONZO

Rode over to GetGeared to buy a cable for my TomTom to put on the Street Triple. Came back with a cable and a new jacket. Now guaranteed to rain for the next month.

Very nice choice. I ordered that same jacket a couple months ago. It's one of rev'its nicer pieces in their entire lineup.

GONZO

Commissioned a kick ass Japanese artist to draw a picture for me. I think it came out pretty well, the dude has some skill.

WTEqeyt.jpg

Watevaman

Dougald

So it shakes only when you're reaching zones that have been pre-determined to have speed cameras and such? Does it do anything for things like radar guns that cops sitting on the side of the road use?

Sounds good for European and/or US city riders where things like speed cameras are a thing, but where I live if you can see the radar signature, you're already caught.

Reads like it. I guess if you're in an area where the police will sit at the side of the road it's no good. Over here that's pretty rare, I think I've only seen an officer with a radar gun a couple of times in my life. Whereas speed camera vans and fixed speed cameras are *everywhere*

I'm pretty boring though and hardly ever speed

Dougald

I always get the impression speeding tickets aren't so much of a big deal in the states, just pay and move on?

Here you end up with points on your license, insurance hikes, etc. It's why I generally stick to the limit

Watevaman

It all depends on the state/jurisdiction and what speed you're doing. Anything over 80 (mph) in my state is an immediate reckless ticket, I think, which comes with points on your license, a big fine, and possible jail time depending. I think anything over 100 mph is almost guaranteed jail time.

All speeding infractions are going to up your insurance.

edit: The only time I've been pulled over was doing 69 in a 55. Cop was super nice, ran my license, and let me go. I'm in the mountains so the speed limits are incredibly low for any "fun" riding so I regularly am speeding.

Dougald

Just a little!

Ducati's are definitely... not geared for slow speeds. 15mp/h in first gear on my Monster feels positively close to stalling. 5th gear is barely suitable for 70 (motorway speed limit), so 6th is pretty much usless at legal speeds. I can't imagine how soul-sucking it must be to ride a Panigale on the street.

Dougald

Thank god for that throttle remapping on the 1200. Sport mode may be fun but its a pretty damn horrible experience under 40mph or in traffic.

I actually just leave it in "Touring" 99% of the time... doesn't shed too much power and makes the throttle much smoother. "Urban" makes it handle like a 250 and is awful.

Watevaman

The Rex is pretty bad under 10 mph too. If I have to go at those speeds, I'll usually get up to 15 or so and coast with the clutch in. However, I love that I can be at 2k and still not lug. That means I can cruise at 25 in 4th or 5th and have enough to get up to highway speed.

OraleeWey

I was watching some motorcycle videos, reviews, etc and I just had to share this video. A review of the Kawasaki Versys 650. It's so well done and it's making me seriously consider doing something something :)

Dougald

It's a great looking bike, and seems like a class that is going to get quite full... There's also

- V-Strom 650 - great engine but I'm not a fan of the looks
- Tracer 700 - by all accounts an excellent bike
- BMW F800GS - it says BMW on it
- Tiger 800 - they took the BMW badge off the GS and put a Triumph one on, and a better engine

I think for my money I would have the Versys or the Tracer. Though I'm still enamoured with my current idea of buying an old R1100GS as a Tourer/runaround.

nico1982

It's a great looking bike, and seems like a class that is going to get quite full... There's also

- Tiger 800 - they took the BMW badge off the GS and put a Triumph one on, and a better engine
Obligatoriy mention of the upcoming KTM "790" Adventure (source: MCN)

Dougald

They're making a mini KTM Adventure? That will clearly be the best in the dirt then...

I really, really want one of the big KTM Adventure bikes but I think I'd need a leg transplant. When I was in the dealership I think the seat almost reached my nipples.

I think for my money I would have the Versys or the Tracer. Though I'm still enamoured with my current idea of buying an old R1100GS as a Tourer/runaround.

Also add the

KTM 1050
African Twin

OraleeWey

All great bikes for sure but the Tiger 800 and BMW F800GS are a little over my price budget. I don't think the Tracer 700 is available in USA? Tried looking for new ones and couldn't find any. As far as the V-Strom vs the Versys... The Versys is a better match for me. It sits up higher and upright, easily adjustable suspension, easily adjustable wind screen, the LT version comes with a few more accessories like side luggage. The engine and looks are based off of the Ninja 650R with some differences. Basically a tall sports bike. It's great for the road and fully capable for off road. Weights a bit less than the V-Strom. I just love the bike. It's also not very expensive at around $8,000 USD. I might look into buying one perhaps during the winter? Is that a great time for buying motorcycles? I'll keep looking into it though.

Well if we're getting into the litre+ bikes then you gotta mention the R1200GS

The two listed above is just under the liter bikes.... they are both sold as 1000cc but way down on HP to compete with the likes of the big boys being the 1200GS and KTM 1290 Adv and the Duc.

Both is fun the ride and comes in at really good prices. Both are also tall... but its just me that is shortish

Dougald

All great bikes for sure but the Tiger 800 and BMW F800GS are a little over my price budget. I don't think the Tracer 700 is available in USA? Tried looking for new ones and couldn't find any. As far as the V-Strom vs the Versys... The Versys is a better match for me. It sits up higher and upright, easily adjustable suspension, easily adjustable wind screen, the LT version comes with a few more accessories like side luggage. The engine and looks are based off of the Ninja 650R with some differences. Basically a tall sports bike. It's great for the road and fully capable for off road. Weights a bit less than the V-Strom. I just love the bike. It's also not very expensive at around $8,000 USD. I might look into buying one perhaps during the winter? Is that a great time for buying motorcycles? I'll keep looking into it though.

Winter can generally be a better time to buy, at least for used bikes

I didn't realise the Tracer wasn't available stateside... That's a bummer, but at least it makes your choice easier!

Next year is going to be a new helmet, new gloves year. Maybe new bike. Definitely new job and new city.

Also yes, +1 to more dogs in in this thread.

OraleeWey

Well, I can finally remove "ride in the heavy rain" from the list. Scary as hell, I was especially careful around paint. I was completely soaked. I don't know if it was my imagination but I felt like I was slipping all the time.

Also, on my way home, two teenagers crossing the street stopped on the median. One of them thought it was a good idea to kick the ball to the other side of the road as a van and myself were going up the road. Anyway, the ball didn't stop on the other side and instead, comes back to sender. Unfortunately for me I was going straight towards it and I had to maneuver away from it missing it by inches. Stupid teenagers man, they do the darndest things. Could have ended real bad for me. Hopefully he learned a lesson. I know he did it on purpose too... kinda like the invisible rope prank-thing.

Dougald

Glad you're ok. I'm English so riding in the rain is unfortunately more common than not...!

My only tips are watch for white lines (which you got), metal manhole covers and diesel spills. I once sailed through a red light with locked brakes in heavy rain due to diesel on the road. If you know it's going to rain some household spray polish on your visor will help the droplets roll off.

Watevaman

I would've stopped and gave the kids a piece of my mind.

While you can't help it sometimes, I strongly recommend against riding in heavy rain. Puddles make hydroplaning much more likely and while it's harder to do on a bike, once you do you're not coming out of it ok.

Dougald

If it's very heavy I tend to pull over somewhere. Unless I'm on the motorway there isn't really enough wind to keep the visor clear for one thing

Plus cars have wipers and tend to forget your vision is impaired.

OraleeWey

Yeah I got off the freeway as soon as I could and made it home using main roads. The freeway is especially bad because other cars are throwing water upwards from their tires. I don't recommend it at all. I had my high viz jacket but regular work pants. Pants and work boots are soaked...

On another semi related note, finally hit 1,000 miles. I've got about 1,062 miles on it. Got it with 11,000 miles. It's a 2006 KLR650 so on average the previous owner(s) rode it for 1,100 miles on average a year for 10 years. At this rate, I'm riding it more than the previous owner(s) on average per year :)

How about you guys? How many miles a year would you say you ride?

Wolfe

Yeah I got off the freeway as soon as I could and made it home using main roads. The freeway is especially bad because other cars are throwing water upwards from their tires. I don't recommend it at all. I had my high viz jacket but regular work pants. Pants and work boots are soaked...

On another semi related note, finally hit 1,000 miles. I've got about 1,062 miles on it. Got it with 11,000 miles. It's a 2006 KLR650 so on average the previous owner(s) rode it for 1,100 miles on average a year for 10 years. At this rate, I'm riding it more than the previous owner(s) on average per year :)

My riding has been so off and on the past few years I would have no idea lol. I do remember putting 18,000 miles on my first bike in the first year I had it, I live in the CA bay area and was just cruising around everywhere.

I've had my current/second bike for roughly 7 months now and I'm a few hundred miles away from 7,000. I'm not sure what I'll top out at for the year since it's only even that high due to work being off and on for me lately so I've had more free time that I would have. My average would be way low too since I ended up using public transportation a lot while I was living in Washington due to getting it paid for by my work

Not sure, bit hard to keep track of as it's spread out over three bikes.

Think it's 4400 miles on my M2 Cyclone in the last two years.

About 2000 miles total on the X1 in the last three (been out of action a couple of times).

And 3600 miles on the Ulysses since I bought it last year.

And a bunch of miles on the Monster 1100 I sold last October.

So about 4000 miles per year on average?

Dougald

When I was commuting, about 5000 miles a year. These days my bikes are insured for 3000 and I probably only do half of that

Watevaman

I'm sick and tired of this stupid rain. The bike has been sitting so long that spiders have built webs on it. Just washed it only to find at the end that it's sprinkling now.

I don't have issues riding in the rain, but I have issues with negotiating our driveway in the rain.

Wife and kids are down on Cape Cod while I mind the livestock, availed myself of a nice leisurely ride searching out coastal access in the back roads. Took the SV as I anticipated a highway return but given some of the highly sketchy dirt roads I ended up on I should have taken the DRZ.
Rewarded it with a nice cleaning afterwards:

I've done about 26,000 over the last year. I commute on mine everyday as well though.

Top Bottom