• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

Anyone want to give me £24k?

eQ45mym.jpg

I don't actually think I could enjoy riding something like that... I'd be terrified of chipping the paintwork while riding it, and terrified of it getting nicked while I wasn't

The Monster is bad enough but at least it's used and already has minor cosmetic problems, so I can care a lot less about that sort of thing and concentrate on enjoying myself

Dougald

Keep it in your living room. Once a year, ship it to spain and ride it around the track

I think I'll stick with something a little less exotic...

Tekniqs

Whats the best 600 supersport bike in your opinion?

Something thats smooth and nice to live with

i've had older supersports before. Don't know how much that'll help in your case though.

Currently, I believe the kawi zx6r is considered the best. They came out with an all new bike back in 2013 and it's pretty awesome from all the reviews I read about it.

edit: come to think of it, the speed triple may be right up your alley. Smooth power delivery throughout the entire RPM range, comfy positioning

Dougald

Tried to take off the fairing over the oil cooler last night to clean out some leaves and gunk caught in there, couldn't get the damn bolts off so gave up until I have a weekend to throw at it. This is a two year old bike so it's not like they're rusty

I always knew Italians didn't design things with maintenance in mind but I don't think I ever truly understood it until trying to do basic things on this Monster. It's lucky it's so pretty. Meanwhile the BMW with 45,000 miles on it makes everything simple, except getting at the battery (which is still easier than the Ducati, under the tank is a less stupid place to put it than INSIDE THE SWINGARM)

Tried to take off the fairing over the oil cooler last night to clean out some leaves and gunk caught in there, couldn't get the damn bolts off so gave up until I have a weekend to throw at it. This is a two year old bike so it's not like they're rusty

I always knew Italians didn't design things with maintenance in mind but I don't think I ever truly understood it until trying to do basic things on this Monster. It's lucky it's so pretty. Meanwhile the BMW with 45,000 miles on it makes everything simple, except getting at the battery (which is still easier than the Ducati, under the tank is a less stupid place to put it than INSIDE THE SWINGARM)

Oh man I wish I had a whole weekend to do bike stuff... the little one keep us so busy that I only really get time to wash the bike. Hope you get it off and cleaned out.

Watevaman

I've literally slid back onto the passenger section of the ZRX under hard acceleration. Don't want to think what would happen on a bike like that if I did the same.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
So it turns out that I need to get a vehicle.

Plot twist: I'm in Japan.

Next plot twist: I couldn't change my UK license so had to start from scratch.

Driving school here is fucking anal.

We're learning on Honda CB400. First time I've ever ridden a bike, actually, and it's fun as hell. I'm thinking of buying a CB400 when I get my license. Any experience with them?

Not with the 400 but I've ridden the CB500. Good capable solid reliable bike. I guess in Japan (from my experience visiting) small nimble bike is going to be ideal.

Riding to work today and see another BMW in my mirror. He catches up to me riding an identical bike. And then a 3rd bike pulls alongside - silver Thruxton R which is the other bike I have ordered! That is one sexy bike. But I'm going to have to buy a leather jacket to go with it. Thinking Roland Sands Ronin (which has just gone up in price - bloody GBP).

We're learning on Honda CB400. First time I've ever ridden a bike, actually, and it's fun as hell. I'm thinking of buying a CB400 when I get my license. Any experience with them?

Have some experience with the CB1 (a 400cc inline 4 as well), Scotch had one for a time (also my IRL buddy). I think the CB400 might even be a little bit better equipped (and better looking?). I say go for it, excellent starter bike. Only downside might be lack of torque (power down low).

/edit: I read that you're in Japan, which means that the Ducati Monster 400 version will probably also be relatively easily available maybe. Could be an interesting alternative. Better looking yet than the CB and, as it's a twin, more torque (torque is where it's at).

Watevaman

Got the rex out for a ride today after cleaning the brakes. Still a bit sticky on the left caliper, so I'll probably clean that one more tomorrow but overall a lot better. Combined with the suspension setting changes I did, it's feeling good.

Damaged

I've had an old CB400 since January and it's a fun little bike, handles well enough and that engine will last year's of abuse. You have to rev it like crazy to get going quickly but that can be entertaining

Dougald

Been dealing with some other things the last week but I've still found time to get out on the Ducati. It's still objectively worse than the Triumph (except displacement), but I'm having 100 times more fun riding it than I ever did with the Street Triple, no buyers remorse here

I think that I probably won't buy another Ducati though, I suspect after a few years of this I'll be ready for something a bit more user-friendly. Still holding out hopes for Yamaha to put out a genuine MT-10 tracer by then..

Dougald

You can get an official screen and panniers, yeah. It would be nice to get something with a proper half fairing that's maybe a bit taller though, but I wouldn't be averse to an MT-10 at all.

They will have to change the gearing a bit so its not too much of a sportbike feel and more midrange power. Also to make the bike a bit taller to soak up the bumps.

It would be a great bike if they do it as it could take on a bit of the GS/XR market

Dougald

A less brutal, better suspensioned MT-10 with luggage and a half-fairing would suit me nicely. A budget S1000XR in the same way the standard model is a budget S1000R.

Honestly I'd like to try the new 07 Tracer. It'd be a huge step down in power but it looks like loads of fun, and probably still has enough kick for the road - probably not 2-up, but I never ride with a passenger. It reminds me of my old Fazer 600, that was a great bike
until the brake lever snapped while I was riding

A less brutal, better suspensioned MT-10 with luggage and a half-fairing would suit me nicely. A budget S1000XR in the same way the standard model is a budget S1000R.

Honestly I'd like to try the new 07 Tracer. It'd be a huge step down in power but it looks like loads of fun, and probably still has enough kick for the road - probably not 2-up, but I never ride with a passenger. It reminds me of my old Fazer 600, that was a great bike
until the brake lever snapped while I was riding

Yes the new mt07 tracer are getting good writeups. Fun bike and would be more than what I need at the moment.

ZucxlY9.jpg

GONZO

I've been in love with the new Tuono so far this season, This bike is absolutely insane, the highlight have been the tail of the dragon and one track day. Hell, it even made killboys highlights page! Simply put the best naked sport bike i've thrown a leg over. SOrry for all the pics but I can't help but sploog on this bike...hahaha.

JTaI907.jpg

19vROdv.jpg

SwbC0nH.jpg

8SnZANW.jpg

Watevaman

Love what you did with the rear tire :p

(I can never get 'em to look like that, maybe it's because I'm a 100hp short.)

Gotta really put the heat into 'em. One of the better riders I know went out with a group of older men when he was on vacation and said all of them (except him) had marbled their tires by the end, on the public roads.

Nope, I don't trust the roads here enough to rip around at full lean, power on blast, trying to do that haha.

GONZO

Haha, well you can really do that on any size bike as long as you carry high enough corner speed. Which is why I reserve those kinds of shenanigans for the track. That was from my first track day on the Tuono. My girlfriends R3 has tires that look pretty much the same after a couple of sessions. In my 20 odd years of riding the most I've ever learned about riding a bike has been the track. Modern motorcycles are incredibly honed weapons.

Wolfe

Lovin that Duc, and the fact they're a Hayden fan (unless I'm mistaken? haven't kept up with racing much lately but could have sworn it was still his number last time I caught a race).

Dougald

Great weekend out on the Ducati. The BMW is out of action because for some reason BMW decided to use crush washers on the gearbox that are ever so slightly oversized, so it's sat with no oil in the shaft drive until I can get some in.

Still haven't managed to get the fairing off the Monster. Had to order some tiny vise grips to try and get the screws undone. Italian design..

Back from my vacation to France. Nothing too crazy this time (in terms of bikes spotted), but here are some shots anyway:

And slightly off topic, but I don't think I've shown it here yet, our ride this year:

Only downside is I couldn't tow my bike like I did last year...

Love that Yamaha XJR. A real no-nonsense mans bike.

Just saw this machine, its looks as good as it sounds. The guy gave it some beans and thunder came out the skies. I thought they where not being made any more but this one was very new

XUVPfn5.png

Dougald

Just saw this machine, its looks as good as it sounds. The guy gave it some beans and thunder came out the skies. I thought they where not being made any more but this one was very new

XUVPfn5.png

Was it incredibly loud? Might have been Royal Jordanian, he lives in the area and famously rides a Nuda. Lovely bike, but I'd wager there aren't more than a dozen in the country.

Top Bottom