• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Flo_Evans

Thinking about doing a little (week long?) tip for my birthday. Maybe just camping at riding spot and drinking IDK. Need to get out on the bike >_< been too freaking hot and stormy here.

Watevaman

Thinking about doing a little (week long?) tip for my birthday. Maybe just camping at riding spot and drinking IDK. Need to get out on the bike >_< been too freaking hot and stormy here.

Do it man, before it's too late! I've been meaning to do the Blue Ridge Parkway here in VA down into NC for a while now, but no paid time off means it's on the backburner.

Which bikes are you bringing?
This weekend will be the BMW and the Street Triple. But my wife has pretty much convinced me to keep the Harley so whenever my bloody Thruxton is delivered we'll be taking those on a road trip. Speaking of which this Saturday will be 10 weeks since ordering it and no news yet. It'll be winter by the time it gets here :-/

Dougald

This weekend will be the BMW and the Street Triple. But my wife has pretty much convinced me to keep the Harley so whenever my bloody Thruxton is delivered we'll be taking those on a road trip. Speaking of which this Saturday will be 10 weeks since ordering it and no news yet. It'll be winter by the time it gets here :-/

To be more precise, the day you get it will be the last day of the riding season - sods law

The RS should be the perfect bike for camping

She seems cool :p

As for the delay, I bet your brand spanking new RS should keep you entertained for a while, right?

Flo_Evans

Damn BMW. $20 for a paper oil filter lol. I think I will be ok with non-genuine consumables from here out. I also said f it and switched over to rotella t6. My bro left a gallon to put in his GS so I stole it and put it in my bike.

Got the oil swapped out, air filter washed and drying - gonna give her a proper thrashing this weekend. Looks like the BMW dealer is having a bbq down on his land so I'm gonna do the drinking camping and riding trails and not have to worry about packing food. Win/win/win.

I even got the little guy to help.
8WA6Qji.jpg

He got bored about halfway through and wanted to ride but at least he didn't drink any oil.

Edit: geez when did imgur become such a pain in the ass to link?

Dougald

If the oil filter on the R1200 engine is as hard to get to as the one on the R1150, I recommend going with the K&N filters with the hex nuts welded to the top. Much easier to remove!

She seems cool :p

As for the delay, I bet your brand spanking new RS should keep you entertained for a while, right?
Ha yes. Actually i should post a couple of her photos from Babes Ride Out. And yep the RS is awesome. Love it. Smooth and comfortable and loads of power. Need to take the Harley out actually. It's been neglected for a while.

The RS should be the perfect bike for camping
Yep should be great. Topbox, strap a dry bag on the seat, backpack, and I got the kriega tank adaptor. Should do the trick!

Wife and I also got a couple of GoPros so will see if we can't get some decent footage on the weekend. Although I see there's now a weather warning for where we're going for Saturday :-/

The Thruxton has landed!

It's in the shop now and will be ready Friday. Alarm, heated grips, fender eliminator, short led indicators, and knee pads being fitted and the PDI and registration of course to do.

Hurrah!

Flo_Evans

If the oil filter on the R1200 engine is as hard to get to as the one on the R1150, I recommend going with the K&N filters with the hex nuts welded to the top. Much easier to remove!

Yeah I have a K&N one for the 1200. The G650 are all rotax engines and have a cartridge type:

pain in the ass to change! You need 2 different sized sockets then it pukes oil all over the side of the case.

OraleeWey

Dammit guys its driving me crazy! I don't know if I need a 1000cc or if I'll be okay with just 650 (Versys). What do you guys suggest? Based on your experience.

I've located a Versys 650 and a 1000cc. Tomorrow I will call them and see if they allow me a test ride.

Dougald

I think you'll be good with a 650, but there's only one way to be sure, and that's ride them both!

Put a few hundred miles on the Ducati yesterday visiting some friends. That's my friends new Diavel

Very cool. Have you ridden the Diavel yet?

Dammit guys its driving me crazy! I don't know if I need a 1000cc or if I'll be okay with just 650 (Versys). What do you guys suggest? Based on your experience.

I've located a Versys 650 and a 1000cc. Tomorrow I will call them and see if they allow me a test ride.

You will not be disappointed by the 650. It being a parallel twin will already provide a vast increase in highway/commute usability compared to your current thumper. My advice would be to maybe not try the 1000. Since trying it will likely result in buying it. Doesn't have to be a problem though, it's not as insane as 1000 supersport. You'll love the increase in torque, that's for sure.

OraleeWey

Okay, sounds good. I just don't have a point of reference but if you guys say 650 is enough then I'm okay with that. I called the place and unfortunately they said no test rides.

Dougald

No test rides? I'd definitely try and find another dealer. I assume it's used? You might be able to find somewhere with a demo 2016 model

Okay, sounds good. I just don't have a point of reference but if you guys say 650 is enough then I'm okay with that. I called the place and unfortunately they said no test rides.

You can reply with "Alright, no sale either then."

My advice would be to find another dealer.

Flo_Evans

You can reply with "Alright, no sale either then."

My advice would be to find another dealer.

Japanese dealers in the US seem very resistant to test rides. Never had a problem with the euro bikes.

BMW I know at least gives the dealer some cash to demo bikes and sell them at a discount at the end of the year.

OraleeWey

Yeah, it sucks they didn't let me go for a test ride. I've located yet another one. The dealer is closed now but I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and see if they let me do a test ride. Fingers crossed!

Edit: No test ride.... I mean, how are you supposed to select a bike if they don't offer test rides in the first place? Just go in blind?

I owned a 2009 650 Versys for a short while. Awesome bike, very fun to ride, took it on a 2000 mile road trip. The 650 has plenty of power, can soak up miles very well, easily can hit 100mph.

I must have old man knees because my only complaint was that after a couple hours of highway my knees would start to hurt because I couldn't stretch them out, but the bike isn't cramped like a Ninja.

OraleeWey

I owned a 2009 650 Versys for a short while. Awesome bike, very fun to ride, took it on a 2000 mile road trip. The 650 has plenty of power, can soak up miles very well, easily can hit 100mph.

I must have old man knees because my only complaint was that after a couple hours of highway my knees would start to hurt because I couldn't stretch them out, but the bike isn't cramped like a Ninja.

Awesome. Thanks for your input. I definitely remember those images, have you posted them before? I'm just worried it might not have enough power but you guys say it's enough. Hopefully I don't experience any knee pain. But at the same time I don't take long trips, I should be okay.

I'm going to save up some more and since the cold season is right around the corner, I'll be purchasing it sometime next year :)

Fall must be such an amazing season for riding, right?
I can't stress enough how happy I am with my KLR 650 though. I just feel like I'm forced to having some more power.

Yeah, I've posted those images before, I just like them a lot :)

Don't worry about the power, the Versys has quite a bit more than a KLR. You'll be looking at around 40hp on a KLR and about 60 with a Versys (Versys has the advantage because it uses a Ninja motor which has fuel injection and twin cylinders). Most sport touring 1000cc bikes like the Versys 1000, VStrom 1000 have about 90+ horsepower.

I personally fell like I don't need a 1000cc bike after having owning a Versys 650. But my next bike may be a 1000-1200cc bike because I've been drooling over the KTM 990, KTM 1190, Honda Africa Twin (1000cc). But I would probably be just as happy owning a Versys 650 again or a VStrom 650, or Honda CB500x.

Wow I haven't been in this thread in a while and it's on Versys discussion awesome. I also have an 09 Versys with almost 28k miles on it here in the Northeast. It's my second bike ever I am 6' 4" it's light, easy on gas and comfortable on long trips.

Dougald

You son of a bitch... not the best day to pick up a new bike in England though I'll agree

Definitely the best colour. Looks even better in person IMO. I love the classic look of the twin rear shocks even though they're not strictly necessary these days. But unlike the old Bonneville, it's actual modern suspension

Ooh that is nice. Rather beastly.

I got my Thruxton out for a run today. Not far, but some nice roads. So much fun. Can't wait to open it up to hear that sound in all it's glory. Sounds great with the stock pipes!

I did take some GoPro footage so see if I can't edit that a bit.

Shiny.

:-D

So cool. But not particularly good in blustering gales! Not much protection compared to the BMW (of course). Now 4 bikes in the garage. Cozy.

Absolutely gorgeous looking bike. Wonder which one of your new babies you're gonna end up using more often.

There's always a favorite... ;)

This is one of my dad's many bikes.
mamhM0l.jpg

Louder and cooler than my Buell

Not his but this is what they sound like

Not possible :D, though in this case....

dvdjiezselne.gif

Dougald

Nice vid, I love that dash, absolutely beautiful to me. I miss not having a damn iphone for clocks.

That Thruxton is still looking awesome... I love the really unusual narrow radiator design Triumph went with. You can hardly tell its water cooled.

The Monster is in the shop today for its tank realignment + far too expensive carbon fiber key cover

Dougald

The damaged screw on the Ducati has been replaced and my tank has been realigned!

Unfortunately, the rubber spacer which keeps the tank in place is screwed so the tank will just tilt over again, which is why it was misaligned in the first place. So it needs to go back to have that repaired, otherwise it's just going to slide over and ruin my nice carbon fibre

Italian bikes....

Rode out to Potts Point this weekend in Harpswell, on the DRZ, and puttered around the tide pools and what not. Along the way ran into this little spot Maquoit Bay. Tide was out.

maquoit-bay.jpg

On the way back finally hit 1000mi on the DRZ. Also the bay was back in, should have stopped to take another picture but needed to get home. Still, beautiful day to ride.

The damaged screw on the Ducati has been replaced and my tank has been realigned!

Unfortunately, the rubber spacer which keeps the tank in place is screwed so the tank will just tilt over again, which is why it was misaligned in the first place. So it needs to go back to have that repaired, otherwise it's just going to slide over and ruin my nice carbon fibre

Italian bikes....

That's too bad, my 1100 didn't have any of those issues. Though that model was at least in its second or even third year by then (if we count the 696 as the base platform). Might have something to do with it.

Rode out to Potts Point this weekend in Harpswell, on the DRZ, and puttered around the tide pools and what not. Along the way ran into this little spot Maquoit Bay. Tide was out.

On the way back finally hit 1000mi on the DRZ. Also the bay was back in, should have stopped to take another picture but needed to get home. Still, beautiful day to ride.

Yeah that looks nice, was stuck behind my desk today :(. Love the tires you got on that thing.

Dougald

Love that DRZ, such a simple, clean look. And the colour scheme just makes it

...and yeah, mine is a first run M1200 so I guess if anythings gonna have issues that'll be it. Luckily being taken care of under warranty. I never had this problem with Triumph, they just left me stranded at the side of the road rather than dealing with minor cosmetics!
yes I am still bitter about my street triple leave me alone

Yeah, that's hard to forgive :p

To be fair, regardless of all the stuff that I've had to do on my Buells, I was left stranded just once, and that was not even the fault of the X1, but that Chinese drive gear that hand-grenaded.

Dougald

Thats because Erik Buell is an engineering genius, in spite of how we like to take the piss over the Harley parts.

I think in a few years I will definitely be wanting something Japanese though. For now, all is forgiven as soon as I start the engine.

Flo_Evans

Yeah, I imagine you're pretty much flying on your featherweight bike when compared to those 1200 dinosaurs.

Depends on the rider :p

Some of the really good guys will still smoke me on a 1200. A lot of people were running more conservative tires, a lot of new riders.

I didn't get to crazy passing people till the afternoon and by then the gopro was dead/full. I like to get to know how people ride before I spray their face full of gravel :p

OraleeWey

I didn't realise just how loud wind noise can be. I definitely needs some earplugs.

Also, when you're at a red light and a cop just pulled up behind you. You know he's running your license plate because you can see him typing on his laptop

gQr2K4z.jpg

Going light:
RxAVTLg.jpg

GS train:
HADNTws.jpg

Nice XR:
7MNgmGG.jpg

Cabin improvements!
IfEk8EA.jpg

350... want:
rj4uZNl.jpg

Got some gopro footage uploading. riding in a large group is interesting. It's kind of fun but kind of eh. Lots of waiting, slo-pokes, dust. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAa3r1KWygw

Woah man, that looks like a lot of fun. See, I haven't doing anything like that, but that's exactly why I went with a dual sport. I'd definitely be one of the slow pokes though, but it looks like they were out there to have some fun.

Wolfe

maquoit-bay.jpg

Nice looking area, also nice lookin bike dude, clean and nice colors.

Nice looking area, also nice lookin bike dude, clean and nice colors.

Thanks! If anyone is up in Maine and wants to tool around send me a PM.

My first ride on the Thrusty. I had to put a song over it cause the GoPro noise was just wind. I'll get another recorder to capture the sound when I ride it cause it's glorious.

Ah, those sun dappled country roads, makes me want to come back to England and tool around on a motorcycle. Last time we did London up to Edinburgh, I thought about renting a Caterham for the trip, but it was easier to just take the train.

Ah, those sun dappled country roads, makes me want to come back to England and tool around on a motorcycle. Last time we did London up to Edinburgh, I thought about renting a Caterham for the trip, but it was easier to just take the train.

Yeah I'm at work today looking out at the glorious weather and wishing I was on my Thruxton just riding around aimlessly.

Dougald

Love that Thruxtons headstock. How is the performance? I heard the engine was actually pretty damn fast for the class, which would be a big step up from the old 865

My friend is ditching his S1000RR for something with a bit of class he can ride two-up, I reckon that would be perfect

Beat in mind usually the skies are grey and the roads full of puddles... but its worth it for the occasional bit of good weather

My plan next year if I get a second bike is to go up to Glasgow and ride the A82 into the Scottish highlands... biking bliss

9It8B8N.jpg

Then onto the isle of skye... I could probably post pictures for hours.

Love that Thruxtons headstock. How is the performance? I heard the engine was actually pretty damn fast for the class, which would be a big step up from the old 865
Performance is great! It's torquey with plenty of top end too. I'm keeping it under 4k at the moment but it still pulls really nicely. When I rode the demo I was surprised how close it was (for road use) with the Speedy. Obviously not the top end but up to 70 (and beyond) I don't think you'd miss much.
And it actually stops and turns too! Like a modern bike should.

Dougald

Really nice to hear. I had imagined it would perform something like a boxer twin - is it nippier than your RS?

Again, silver is the right choice. The red looks great in the showroom, but there's just something about the silver tank combined with that polished headstock.

Beat in mind usually the skies are grey and the roads full of puddles... but its worth it for the occasional bit of good weather

When we stayed in Devon it was a bit like this, but it was still beautiful.

picture-98.png

My plan next year if I get a second bike is to go up to Glasgow and ride the A82 into the Scottish highlands

This is the "English trap". It's so easy for us to get there, and everyone speaks a vaguely understandable version of the same language. We forced ourselves to go to France this year and Italy next year but there's always a constant tension to just go do Wales, Ireland, Scottish Highlands. Some day...

Top Bottom