• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Was it incredibly loud? Might have been Royal Jordanian, he lives in the area and famously rides a Nuda. Lovely bike, but I'd wager there aren't more than a dozen in the country.

aah not him, this was in Reading and this guys had a clear visor and not camera kit. Also the stock pipe. Just looks like a fun bike to ride. Did not get any good reviews for some reason

Forehead pain is the reason I can't go back to cheap helmets, haha. I'm going to switch to a modular in a year or two I think, but I'll probably end up with a Shoei Neotech, BMW System 6, or Schuberth C3 Pro (Arai don't do a flip-up helmet on safety grounds). None of which are cheap (or necessarily safer), but damned if they aren't more comfortable

I have tried a Shark and I found the lining a bit uncomfortable, it may be that they aren't really for round-headed people, though I have only tried the Vancore.

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread line but I found out I can buy helmets from anywhere! If your head is over a certain size Australian Helmet laws don't apply and you can get a letter from your Dr (My wife is a Doctor :D) to show police and so can wear something that doesn't conform to Aussie regulations. Great because I can buy the same helmets from the UK/Europe a lot cheaper than here, only difference is it doesn't have the Aussie sticker. Currently rocking one of the few XXXL helmet I could find that fits me, it's utter shite but at least doesn't hurt, so looking forward to finding something I like from overseas. Seen a few really interesting modular designs that aren't available here.

Completely unrelated does anyone use a "Scrambler", Ducati, Triumph etc. for actual off road? I'm torn between a new Triumph Scrambler for multi-purpose or used Triumph Rocket 3 for road with a dedicated cheap off-road bike for exploring the mountains. Just wanting to hit fire and off road trails here in the mountains, no acrobatics involved. Got 6 months to decide!

Get a nice 1050 do it all

jRunKNc.png

Dougald

I wouldn't want to offroad a Ducati/Triumph scrambler any more than a gravel car park to be honest. Even the multistrada, which is "off-road" is something you'd have to be crazy to take off road.

Like max says, a KTM is what you want, or any sort of dual sport. That or go crazy with the mods like richardhawk and his off-roading Harley...

Get a nice 1050 do it all

jRunKNc.png

I hate to admit it, but aesthetics matter. If I don't like the look then I'm not interested. I love the Triumph Scrambler and the Triumph Rocket 3. I know I could go for an adventure tourer that would tick the boxes, but then I'd have to buy waterproof one piece coveralls, I don't think I'm ready for that....

I wouldn't want to offroad a Ducati/Triumph scrambler any more than a gravel car park to be honest. Even the multistrada, which is "off-road" is something you'd have to be crazy to take off road.

Like max says, a KTM is what you want, or any sort of dual sport. That or go crazy with the mods like richardhawk and his off-roading Harley...

Yeah I think I'm kidding myself thinking I can get a bike I'll love to ride on and off road. I'll probably go for a cruiser for road and buy a dedicated KTM or husky for off road, both are big in Aus so plenty of 2nd hand models around. First bike I ever owned was a 2 stroke Yamaha 125cc DT, loved that thing, loads of fun if you could keep the front wheel on the ground! I may just grab an old 2 stroke 125cc for off road use, easy to repair and maintain and loads of fun.

Get the Rocket then, do it, live my dream

So why not do it? Don't know how much they are in the UK but here in Aus there are plenty low mileage newish ones for really good prices, figure trading in the Vulcan s will see me paying maybe $3-4k. At the end of the day I'm an Englishman living in Australia, I need a fucking Triumph! :D

Watevaman

Just ordered a new Pilot Power 2CT for the front of the Rex. :D Can't wait to see how it does in the corners with the fixed brakes, suspension, and a new front.

So why not do it? Don't know how much they are in the UK but here in Aus there are plenty low mileage newish ones for really good prices, figure trading in the Vulcan s will see me paying maybe $3-4k. At the end of the day I'm an Englishman living in Australia, I need a fucking Triumph! :D

Well, either that or an XB12X.

Nah, it's probably too heavy for any real off roading, but people try!

I hate to admit it, but aesthetics matter. If I don't like the look then I'm not interested. I love the Triumph Scrambler and the Triumph Rocket 3. I know I could go for an adventure tourer that would tick the boxes, but then I'd have to buy waterproof one piece coveralls, I don't think I'm ready for that....

Just kidding, I saw some guys in Aus doing some epic fire trails on the KTM's and it just looked cool. I would also suggest get what you like and get a smaller offroad play bike if you can.

but do go and test drive the bikes you like as it might not ride like they look

Just kidding, I saw some guys in Aus doing some epic fire trails on the KTM's and it just looked cool. I would also suggest get what you like and get a smaller offroad play bike if you can.

but do go and test drive the bikes you like as it might not ride like they look

Without a doubt I'll test ride, but I have yet to hear a bad thing about the Scrambler or Rocket 3. I think just separating the road from the trail is the way forward, I have a big trailer so can pretty much buy an unreg'd bike and drive it out for trips through the bush, get the triumph Rocket 3 for road use and shocking people on sports bikes who dare pull up next to me at lights....

Dougald

They hold their value like gold here, an early 05 model will still command 5 or 6 grand, too rich for my blood when I can get much newer for similar. My Monster was just shy of 9 and it's only 2 years old

Plus, I think it's a little heavy for my stubby legs!

I imagine the scrambler is identical to my old Bonneville, of which I will say that the brakes aren't quite good enough and it's a little slow... But man they are fun bikes, handle brilliantly and the finish is superb.

Man, I'm trying to buy a wrecked '08 Firebolt from this guy in the states, but he must be a little slow or something. I'm finding it impossible to get some info out of him, practically have to beg to get some pictures of the wreck. Not even trying to haggle on the price! Had to remind him twice to come back to me when he knew more about the bike. Unbelievable.

Dougald

Got the gearbox sorted on the BMW again and it's all running smoothly, wife has taken advantage of the heatwave and ridden it to work. I know I'm banging the BMW drum a little but I just love how easy that is to work on (apart from some of BMWs bolt choices). 45,000 miles and it doesn't look like it's done more than 20.

I haven't worked up the courage to attempt to take off the oil cooler fairing on the Ducati again yet.

Man, I'm trying to buy a wrecked '08 Firebolt from this guy in the states, but he must be a little slow or something. I'm finding it impossible to get some info out of him, practically have to beg to get some pictures of the wreck. Not even trying to haggle on the price! Had to remind him twice to come back to me when he knew more about the bike. Unbelievable.

Some people just don't care about actually getting a sale, I guess. Though I suppose selling to you would be more hassle for him than someone in-country. How would you go about getting it shipped?

Edit:

First review I've seen of the rNineT scrambler

That scrambler looks great but want to see if first. The colour is a bit dull to me. I am holding off for the rnint GS model that they are talking about. Its going to have the old GS colour layout.

It would be great to be able to not pay too much for the bike and also be able to hit a few gravel roads if needed.

Some people just don't care about actually getting a sale, I guess. Though I suppose selling to you would be more hassle for him than someone in-country. How would you go about getting it shipped?

Yeah, perhaps that's it. Though I have already promised him I would arrange a pickup for shipping (with the help of those Buell guys here in The Netherlands), so the only thing he would have to do is prepare it. Oh well.

Dougald

That scrambler looks great but want to see if first. The colour is a bit dull to me. I am holding off for the rnint GS model that they are talking about. Its going to have the old GS colour layout.

It would be great to be able to not pay too much for the bike and also be able to hit a few gravel roads if needed.

I know it's silver which can be quite boring but it's really, really nice. It may be a "cheap" bike but it's still a BMW and it shows, the paintwork is lovely in person, it seemed like polished metal to me rather than a painted tank.

The seat is quite comfortable too, assuming they haven't changed it since the bike show in February. Only problem I have with the bike really is the lack of much of a dash, it's very basic.

I'm still holding out to see the GS versions if they do indeed release them. A nice basic air-cooled boxer twin, but with Euro 4 and all the modern toys? Yes please.

Second that... also where I can do a bit of customization by just undoing a few bolts to drop off the rear seat. I like the simple dash as I currently ride the r1200r without a rev counter, only on the sound of the engine. The pipes also sound much better than my one. Much more fruity

Dougald

Love it.

I found myself looking at old BMW 1100's last night because I decided I don't really want to do a future Scotland run on the Ducati. Damn things hold their value too well, we got a bargain getting the 1150 for £2500. Maybe I will keep my eye open this winter...

It also drove home to me how unreliable the ABS unit is on the BMW 1150's. *Every* bike on eBay has either had the servo ABS removed, or it's failed and needs removing or replacing for £800. Don't feel so bad about the ABS-less Roadster in the garage now.

You should also have a look at the 2005 GS models as the launch ones had some teething problems but all been fixed in 2005. I have also been looking at the older models but as you said its still 4-5000 pounds.

Dougald

I like the idea of a nice simple late 90s air cooled R1100GS as a second bike. Keep it mechanically sound but cosmetically rough. Not a lot to go wrong on those bikes and nice and simple to maintain myself. That or the hideous (but strangely alluring) R100RT.

But this is stupid really anyway being as I literally bought the Monster 1200 2 months ago and have no intention of selling it.

Dougald

Hah well I feel bad just leaving the Monster sitting in the garage with some chain grease on the swingarm and dead bugs on the headlight...

In other news, it took nearly a year but the other week while we were on holiday Mrs Dougald finally got to grips with her BMW and now refuses to ever part with it. I think she'll actually be riding that thing until it falls apart.

Hah well I feel bad just leaving the Monster sitting in the garage with some chain grease on the swingarm and dead bugs on the headlight...

In other news, it took nearly a year but the other week while we were on holiday Mrs Dougald finally got to grips with her BMW and now refuses to ever part with it. I think she'll actually be riding that thing until it falls apart.

that is good news... I went to the KTM dealer in Didcot on Saturday (Premier Bikes) to go and have a look at the Duke 690R and the 1290 super duke. But bikes are awesome looking but I did not get any service, not even getting up from his desk or even saying morning can I help you. I was also the only one in the shop at that time. I dont know how the people make money. If he made the effort to get me excited about the bikes I was looking at he might get a sale.

Dougald

^^^^I love the mounting position, you get a much better sense of the bikes movement. Still planning on selling the ZRX?

that is good news... I went to the KTM dealer in Didcot on Saturday (Premier Bikes) to go and have a look at the Duke 690R and the 1290 super duke. But bikes are awesome looking but I did not get any service, not even getting up from his desk or even saying morning can I help you. I was also the only one in the shop at that time. I dont know how the people make money. If he made the effort to get me excited about the bikes I was looking at he might get a sale.

That's a shock, we bought the BMW from Premier and they were really good, but we ended up dealing with the manager. They were pretty upfront about it having no ABS, etc. Lots of salesmen can't be bothered these days.

Watevaman

I don't know anymore. I might just wait until I have a better job and then see how things go. The bike feels good but come fall/winter I might be craving a TW again.

I don't know anymore. I might just wait until I have a better job and then see how things go. The bike feels good but come fall/winter I might be craving a TW again.

The ZRX is cool as hell. I think you should hang on to it.

/edit: https://youtu.be/I5Lq6HGTgWE?t=3m46s

haha, nice

In what sense? The handling clicked? Or everything did?

Dougald

The ZRX is a great bike but I suspect you have the same problem as me, in that you want different bikes depending on which season it is. I guarantee I'll be pining for something else in the winter.

In what sense? The handling clicked? Or everything did?

Everything. She didn't have too much confidence riding due to buying it during the winter (and the physical size is quite intimidating, even though its not *that* heavy). We rode for a few hours straight and not she's so much more confident on the thing.

Given that she's had surgery on her hand I'd say the riding position is pretty much perfect for her. That and it's got panniers so she can use it as a mobile wardrobe. Still refuses to so much as breathe on my Ducati lest she somehow destroys it though.

Everything. She didn't have too much confidence riding due to buying it during the winter (and the physical size is quite intimidating, even though its not *that* heavy). We rode for a few hours straight and not she's so much more confident on the thing.

Given that she's had surgery on her hand I'd say the riding position is pretty much perfect for her. That and it's got panniers so she can use it as a mobile wardrobe. Still refuses to so much as breathe on my Ducati lest she somehow destroys it though.

Ah nice. A longer ride will definitely get you well acquainted with a bike.

Well my wife has signed up for "Babes Ride Out" next weekend!

The woman who has previously told me "I. DON'T. DO. CAMPING!" is now going camping in Wales with 250 women on bikes. Last time she went camping must've been 25 years ago.

So out shopping for a tent, sleeping bag, mat, and figuring out how to load up the luggage on her Street Triple Rx.

She even bought some bloody cordless hair curlers FFS.

This is going to be something. She's borrowing a GoPro so may even get some footage.

And we've signed up to do a 2 day Dave Thorpe Honda off-road experience in Devon in September. The day before I fly to NZ so hopefully I don't break my neck.

The woman who has previously told me "I. DON'T. DO. CAMPING!" is now going camping in Wales with 250 women on bikes. Last time she went camping must've been 25 years ago.

So out shopping for a tent, sleeping bag, mat, and figuring out how to load up the luggage on her Street Triple Rx.

She even bought some bloody cordless hair curlers FFS.

This is going to be something. She's borrowing a GoPro so may even get some footage.

And we've signed up to do a 2 day Dave Thorpe Honda off-road experience in Devon in September. The day before I fly to NZ so hopefully I don't break my neck.

Sounds exciting times... hope it all goes well. Keep us posted

Dougald

That Dave Thorpe experience sounds great. I really, really want to do the BMW GS training school but unfortunately the *one* week in August they're not running a course is the week I have off work, ho hum.

Luggage on a Street Triple... my advice is not to bother and get a huge Kriega rucksack instead. Maybe get a tank bag for additional gubbins.

As someone who's been to the 24hrs of Le Mans recently (with a tent), that's a statement I can get behind. The horror...

That Dave Thorpe experience sounds great. I really, really want to do the BMW GS training school but unfortunately the *one* week in August they're not running a course is the week I have off work, ho hum.

Luggage on a Street Triple... my advice is not to bother and get a huge Kriega rucksack instead. Maybe get a tank bag for additional gubbins.
Turns out the tent fits in my kriega R25. For a 2 person tent it's tiny. May actually be able to manage with that and her US20 on the tail.

Dougald

If you get a tankbag as well, I recommend putting something under it (like the non-slip material you can buy). My friend learned this the hard way and ended up having to get his tank resprayed.

Wolfe

Speaking of tank bags I was just thinking the other day that I need to start looking around for a new one, my old one no longer works due to the current R6 tanks having that plastic cover over the front of the tank.

If you get a tankbag as well, I recommend putting something under it (like the non-slip material you can buy). My friend learned this the hard way and ended up having to get his tank resprayed.

Yeah her bike is only a month old and it's picking up quite a few scratches already from her kit.

Finally dug out my old photos and found my first bike, which I must've bought in late 2000 or early 2001, rode till late 2001 (when I moved overseas for "6 months"), and has been in my parents garage since. I'll definitely start the tear down when I'm there this October.

(excuse the crappy image quality, my scanner is either crap or I have no clue how to use it properly...probably the latter)

Dougald

^is that a GS500? That's the bike I learnt to ride on!

I'm happy to report after an evening I finally, finally got my oil cooler fairing off and the protector I ordered installed. Plus about half a fields worth of mud. The bad news is I ended up destroying one rubber grommet and the best part of another doing so. The Ducati school of thought when it comes to the home mechanic is "fuck you"

Also got the cylinder head protector on, just the rad guard to go. I'll post some pics up when it's all sorted.

^is that a GS500? That's the bike I learnt to ride on!
It's a Suzuki Bandit GSF250. New Zealand has a 250 limit for learners. Inline 4 cylinder 250cc madness, revved to around 17k redline. I can't remember what year it is actually but I think 1991 which had 45bhp (not bad for a 250). Later models were reduced to 40bph.

I was stopped with my hand on the brake. I felt my bike wanting to fall over to the right, and I squeezed the brake pretty hard as I pulled it upright. Are brakes designed to handle this sort of a abuse, or can the mechanisms involved be damaged?

I road home in the rain. When I pulled up to my garage, the brake seemed to not engage as hard with a pull, but it could be the rain or my mind. The click still occurs at the right point in the pull. Thus is a newer Triumph bonnevile.

Dougald

The saga of Ducati continues with a fairing bolt made of cheese which rounded as I was gently putting it back on. Oh well, at least the bolt is stuck on and I don't want it off for a while. Obviously the italians ordered those parts from the same place Honda got their gearbox drain plug for the ST1100.

Bike is all done but I'm missing my classy red fairing from the Oil cooler as I need to wait a week for some new fixings from Italy.

I was stopped with my hand on the brake. I felt my bike wanting to fall over to the right, and I squeezed the brake pretty hard as I pulled it upright. Are brakes designed to handle this sort of a abuse, or can the mechanisms involved be damaged?

I road home in the rain. When I pulled up to my garage, the brake seemed to not engage as hard with a pull, but it could be the rain or my mind. The click still occurs at the right point in the pull. Thus is a newer Triumph bonnevile.

You'll be fine, it's probably all in your mind. I guess it's possible you damaged your master cylinder but I find it very unlikely, when I dropped my old Bonneville on its brake lever the lever snapped before anything happened to the master cylinder. (the answer to the question, "can you ride 2000 miles home with a 1 inch long brake lever" is yes!)

Stevey

You'll be fine.
If you squeezed it too hard, all you could realistically do is blow a seal, which you'd be aware of as there would be brake fluid pissing out everywhere.
The click is just the brake light activating.

Watevaman

The saga of Ducati continues with a fairing bolt made of cheese which rounded as I was gently putting it back on. Oh well, at least the bolt is stuck on and I don't want it off for a while. Obviously the italians ordered those parts from the same place Honda got their gearbox drain plug for the ST1100.

Bike is all done but I'm missing my classy red fairing from the Oil cooler as I need to wait a week for some new fixings from Italy.

You'll be fine, it's probably all in your mind. I guess it's possible you damaged your master cylinder but I find it very unlikely, when I dropped my old Bonneville on its brake lever the lever snapped before anything happened to the master cylinder. (the answer to the question, "can you ride 2000 miles home with a 1 inch long brake lever" is yes!)

2000 miles? Was that supposed to be 200 or did you ride across Russia?

I still have bad memories of that snapped clutch lever on the GS500. Riding 70 miles back home without a clutch was terrifying.

Dougald

2000 miles? Was that supposed to be 200 or did you ride across Russia?

I still have bad memories of that snapped clutch lever on the GS500. Riding 70 miles back home without a clutch was terrifying.

Heh, I dropped it a couple days into my circumnavigation of France. Didn't replace it until the week after I got back to England. I did around 2300 miles total so probably 1800 of that was on the busted brake lever.

OraleeWey

Hey guys I've been riding to work on weekends when there's little traffic. It's such a great way to start a day. But dammit, I only wish I had more power on my KLR650! If I ever get another motorcycle, it's gonna be more powerful for sure.

Also, the amount of people who are inconsiderately texting and driving or using their phones in general is very disturbing. It sometimes makes me wonder if it's even worth it :(

Also, I finally got myself a travel trunk. Already filled it up to full capacity too.

Top Bottom