• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Watevaman

Wish I could say I've put miles on the ZRX this year but that's not the case. I think I have a little over 7k miles on it over the two years I've had it. Hard to find time to ride now that school is done and I work. Also doesn't help that a lot of the time I would've spent riding has been spent with the girlfriend.

Makki

Also doesn't help that a lot of the time I would've spent riding has been spent with the girlfriend.

FL6IGsN.png

Didnt you sell the ZRX or something?

Dougald

Mrs Dougald took the Ducati out yesterday, claimed it was really shaky and the mirrors were useless. I told her that's by design!

Dougald

Certainly was, seems we have shipped all of the British weather over to Watevaman. The wife was glad to get back on her R1150 though. Comfort and refinement vs looks and performance.

Dougald

The Mrs spoke to Ducati Reading (I know, boo) about my tank being slightly misaligned as she was there ordering some bits for me today. Turns out that was a Ducati recall and they'll do it for me under warranty

Another strike against Ducati Cambridge who should have done that before I bought the bike then.

I only noticed it a few weeks after getting the bike, you can see the tank has shifted to the left over the years while being left on the side stand, apparently a known issue. The part she was ordering is a carbon fibre bit to replace that ugly, ugly key guard.

Also note I paid the new dog tax.

Hmm, 1200. Just the right amount of cc's.

Wife and kids are down on Cape Cod while I mind the livestock, availed myself of a nice leisurely ride searching out coastal access in the back roads. Took the SV as I anticipated a highway return but given some of the highly sketchy dirt roads I ended up on I should have taken the DRZ.

Rewarded it with a nice cleaning afterwards:

Looks good man. How did it do on the dirt roads though?

Looks good man. How did it do on the dirt roads though?

Usual minor slippage until I got used to it, fine otherwise, took it slow. That road I snapped the first pic on though had some sort of preparation done to it by the local farm vehicles where it had small ruts pushed into it for traction or something and that made the ride very uncomfortable. Otherwise I just tried to pay a lot of attention to gravel on the paved bits too since there was so much transition to dirt on the side roads. One of the few times where I had to push myself to ride *at* speed limit.

Gritesh

Speaking of riding in the rain I rode into Seattle last night through three hours of pouring rain....

I'm from alberta canada. I've ridden about 2800kms in the last two days all on the back of a superduke 1290.

My only complaint is my ass is sore and I want a windscreen now.

Staying in Seattle for today and then heading to Vancouver and then back towards home for Thursday total distance on this trip will be about 5500kms all said and done in about 6 days.

Wolfe

Hell yeah! best dad. I don't have kids yet but my girlfriend and I have already discussed getting out kid into dirt bikes as soon as possible. I guess having 2 parents that ride would seem cool to a kid.

Flo_Evans

Well bummer, best dad lost to quick dad and someone bought it before I could.

I did get a sweet deal on this totally bitchin helmet though ($50 amazon warehouse)

Now off to deal with craigslist people to try and find another one >_<

Watevaman

Oh well, it's the thought that counts.

Do you want a ZRX to give him? You can put a safety belt on him in case it's too much to handle... ;)

Well bummer, best dad lost to quick dad and someone bought it before I could.

I did get a sweet deal on this totally bitchin helmet though ($50 amazon warehouse)

Now off to deal with craigslist people to try and find another one >_<

Not sure how many dirt bike shops are around you but I've found amazing deals on 50cc little bikes that usually just need a carb clean / new tires at shops round me. Might want to give that a look if you happen to have any in your area.

Flo_Evans

Not sure how many dirt bike shops are around you but I've found amazing deals on 50cc little bikes that usually just need a carb clean / new tires at shops round me. Might want to give that a look if you happen to have any in your area.

Well this one was owned by the head mechanic at the BMW shop so it was pretty well looked after for $500.

Pretty easy to find them for that on CL but they are way out in the boonies and God knows what people have been doing to them.

The 3 year old is probably kind of young but I also have a 5 year old that is about the right age... The problem is the 5 year old is not as coordinated and doesn't show as much intrest. He is more into videogames, and says he wants a 4-wheeler :/

I'm just going to keep an eye out, I was planning on saving it for a Xmas gift but that kind of sucks because they wouldn't be able to ride it in the winter.

I'm also probably going to need to get a trailer so I can haul my bike too but that can probably wait till they get gud. Going to need a lot of close monitoring till they can follow dad on the trails.

Sucks being a dirt lover in the city! More and more I kind of want to buy some land out in the country and build a little cabin.

OraleeWey

O.K guys. I finally performed my first oil change. I know it's not a big achievement, but it is to me. Now I can do my own oil change and save money on the #1 required maintenance.

Image for proof

I know it's a low light image but time wasn't on my side. The sun went down in the middle of my oil change. Darkness doesn't stop me!

Anyway, I changed the oil and the oil filter plus I got me a high performance air filter, which is already fitted. Hopefully I see a small difference in performance.

Also, +1 for best dad! I don't have a kid of my own but this here is my cousin. Like I mentioned before, he's really taking a liking to my motorcycle ever since I got it.

Also best dad...

I think its good to expose them to bikes as its a great way to travel and explore. You do get a much better experience of your surroundings on a bike. My mate bought a electric offroad bike for his 4 year old. Great bit of kit

Dougald

O.K guys. I finally performed my first oil change. I know it's not a big achievement, but it is to me. Now I can do my own oil change and save money on the #1 required maintenance.

Image for proof

I know it's a low light image but time wasn't on my side. The sun went down in the middle of my oil change. Darkness doesn't stop me!

Anyway, I changed the oil and the oil filter plus I got me a high performance air filter, which is already fitted. Hopefully I see a small difference in performance.

Congrats on the oil change! I know its really the simplest job to do on a bike but it's so satisfying to do the first time when you've no experience working on vehicles at all. You'll be checking your valve clearances in no time...

Did you go for a K&N filter? I always buy those, they do seem to have *some* effect, but that might just be in my head. Mostly, I like them because you can just wash the filter yearly instead of replacing it.

OraleeWey

Congrats on the oil change! I know its really the simplest job to do on a bike but it's so satisfying to do the first time when you've no experience working on vehicles at all. You'll be checking your valve clearances in no time...

Did you go for a K&N filter? I always buy those, they do seem to have *some* effect, but that might just be in my head. Mostly, I like them because you can just wash the filter yearly instead of replacing it.

Yup. It's one of those K&N air filters. A little hard to install but a nice fit once it's on there.

Dougald

Guys I think there is a very real danger of me purchasing a ~20 year old R1100GS this winter as a second bike so I can "go touring"

Yup. It's one of those K&N air filters. A little hard to install but a nice fit once it's on there.

Nice one. Just take it out and give it a clean/re-oil every year or so (whenever your owners manual says to replace the air filter). I find the oil lasts ages, at least 3 or 4 filter cleans.

best dad or worst dad? anyone have a kid that rides?
Always best dad. We tried booking my stepson (7) in for the Chiltern Young riders for a first off-road lesson, but they always seem to be booked. Trying another place now but hard to find something.

My wife did an off-road lesson at Babes Ride Out in Wales last weekend, and we've got 2 days with Dave Thorpe booked next month. Should be fun.

OraleeWey

Guys I think there is a very real danger of me purchasing a ~20 year old R1100GS this winter as a second bike so I can "go touring"

Nice one. Just take it out and give it a clean/re-oil every year or so (whenever your owners manual says to replace the air filter). I find the oil lasts ages, at least 3 or 4 filter cleans.

Thanks for the info. Will do.

It's the quotes that make it true. I've been thinking of picking up a DL1000 but now maybe I'll just buy some new boots and gloves. Once I start to hold myself hostage to unreasonable goals, the slightly more reasonable seem like a real moneysaver...

Flo_Evans

Also best dad...

I think its good to expose them to bikes as its a great way to travel and explore. You do get a much better experience of your surroundings on a bike. My mate bought a electric offroad bike for his 4 year old. Great bit of kit

Yeah I should probably look into the electric ones. The pw50 can top out at 30mph (although you can limit the throttle) I just worry about dead batteries far away, but would probably be better for riding in my small yard.

OraleeWey

Found out my buddies bike got stolen. A white/gold Suzuki DRZ400SM. New motorcycle he got from the dealer last March. Stolen around 3-4am 2 days ago from the driveway. Already reported it to the police.

Yeah, if you have the option, don't leave a bike out at night. It's just too easy for someone to steal.

My ex-girlfriend's month old Monster 796 got stolen out of the front yard like that once. And they tried it with one of her later bikes (an old Yamaha) as well, the only thing that stopped them then was that it was chained up to another bike. Just, yeah, don't leave em out.

OraleeWey

Yeah, if you have the option, don't leave a bike out at night. It's just too easy for someone to steal.

My ex-girlfriend's month old Monster 796 got stolen out of the front yard like that once. And they tried it with one of her later bikes (an old Yamaha) as well, the only thing that stopped them then was that it was chained up to another bike. Just, yeah, don't leave em out.

Yeah. Bad call on his part but there was literally a camera some what facing the motorcycle. It barely captured the theft but he gave a copy to the police.

Dougald

Bastards. Bike theft in England has got pretty bad too, it's at the point where I won't ride the Ducati into London as it'll probably get snatched up by teens on scooters

I've actually installed a camera in my garage that alerts my phone on movement

Flo_Evans

Craigslist is a waste of time +1

So I saw a new ad for another PW50, call the guy up, arrange to meet at his place, borrow my brothers truck, get cash out, drive all the way out there... And the bike doesn't work!

Wtf people if you are trying to unload a project bike at least say so in the ad or over the phone. Do you think I'm not going to try and start it?

After about a half hour of messing with it it started but then wouldn't run at anything past idle. Could probably be fixed with a good carb rebuild but don't try and price it like a working bike!

Sunday afternoon wasted and kids are dispointed. :(

Fingers crossed for good weather this coming weekend. 3 day trip planned to the New Forest and back the long way around the Sussex and Kent coasts. Camping with the wife who is suddenly a motocamping enthusiast after her weekend at Babes Ride Out.

Watevaman

Well, the ZRX has a dead battery. Bad timing, as I was letting my girlfriend borrow my car while I fix hers. Also sucks because the battery in there is a little over a year old (bought last April/May). :(

Dougald

Well, the ZRX has a dead battery. Bad timing, as I was letting my girlfriend borrow my car while I fix hers. Also sucks because the battery in there is a little over a year old (bought last April/May). :(

That sucks man, I use a bike tender and even then my batteries drop like flies. They just aren't seem to be made to last

Fingers crossed for good weather this coming weekend. 3 day trip planned to the New Forest and back the long way around the Sussex and Kent coasts. Camping with the wife who is suddenly a motocamping enthusiast after her weekend at Babes Ride Out.

That will be awesome, I was just in the new forest today (with dog sans bike) and I was wishing I could explore on 2 wheels. Watch out for all the wild horses in the road...

Top Bottom