• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Dougald

This is the "English trap". It's so easy for us to get there, and everyone speaks a vaguely understandable version of the same language. We forced ourselves to go to France this year and Italy next year but there's always a constant tension to just go do Wales, Ireland, Scottish Highlands. Some day...

Ahh France, let me tell you there are some great biking roads there too... and camping is so convenient.

I've done the Pyrenees but still on my list is to do the Alps proper, rather than skirting around the bottom on my way back from Monaco

Fixed1979

Been awhile since I posted, glad to see everyone is still here and riding! lol

Took the Street on a bit of a weekend ride and got the 10k service done. Still really enjoy the bike. Though while I was away I took out an Aprilia RSV4 RF out and immediately fell in love, I would never have expected that such a beast wasn't just manageable but also a joy to drive. I thought about trading the Street in right there and then but couldn't bring myself to part with it for what the dealer was offering. Regardless, sometime soon that bike will be mine.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I know most of you don't care, but I'll post it up anyway: Harley revealed their 2017 model lineup today, and the big surprise is their new motor, the Milwaukee 8 engine:

http://ridermagazine.com/2016/08/23/harley-davidson-launches-milwaukee-eight-big-twin-for-2017/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/harleys-all-new-milwaukee-eight-big-twin

Harley-Davidson-Milwaukee-Eight-107-main.jpg

10% more power than the Twin Cam, four valves per cylinder with twin plugs per cyl too, and better fuel economy.

I'll happily stick with my 2016 RGU for now, give them time to get all the kinks out of it. :D

I've been holding back from getting a new bike while checking out the xsr900 and possibly a harley lowrider. New engine unveil is gonna make me wait even longer. I really hope they release something like the sport glide again. I want bags / fairing but I really dislike how big baggers are. Especially since I use my bike to commute daily.

nico1982

Harley revealed their 2017 model lineup today, and the big surprise is their new motor, the Milwaukee 8 engine:

http://ridermagazine.com/2016/08/23/harley-davidson-launches-milwaukee-eight-big-twin-for-2017/

http://i0.wp.com/ridermagazine.com/.../Harley-Davidson-Milwaukee-Eight-107-main.jpg

10% more power than the Twin Cam, four valves per cylinder with twin plugs per cyl too, and better fuel economy.

I'll happily stick with my 2016 RGU for now, give them time to get all the kinks out of it. :D
Yeah, we had lots of hint and even some spy shots in the past weeks. Nice looking lump, except for the chrome parts XD

I know most of you don't care, but I'll post it up anyway: Harley revealed their 2017 model lineup today, and the big surprise is their new motor, the Milwaukee 8 engine:

Oh I care about the motor. I just don't care about the bikes they put them in. Wish they would do something like that Arc bike Keanu Reeves is working on.

Do we know what it sounds like yet?

Dougald

Damn, twin spark plugs, 4 valves and not air cooled? That should be quite the performance increase. Looks like Harley are keeping their V-Twin relevant the same way BMW have with the boxer

Will it vibrate like crazy?
That's my one takeaway from a lot of Harley's. That gets annoying.

Annoying? That's character. You know, the same thing that makes the mirrors on my Ducati vibrate so hard that I can't see anything at certain RPMs.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I've never ridden a Beull, I've always liked them even if they were ass ugly. They went under right when I was getting into bikes.

Dougald

Meh, my Buells vibrate (like crazy, which I love) under 3k rpm. But over that (so highway speeds where it actually is an issue) they're smoother than most other bikes I've ridden.

I put that down to Erik Buell being a genius. It's not that those Harley engines were bad, it's just they were never really meant to do the things he made them do

I've never ridden a Beull, I've always liked them even if they were ass ugly.

:'(

In all seriousness though, I guess that's what I like about them. They certainly are an acquired taste. And I think most of them are absolutely gorgeous. The older tube frame models as well as the newer XB platform.

They went under right when I was getting into bikes.

Yeah don't remind me. If I had known how much I was going to love Buell the one time I bought a bike new (back in '10) I would not have bought that Monster 1100S, but instead would have gotten a brand new XB12S Lightning for just 7 or 8000 euros or whatever fire sale prices they were going for back then.

Ugh goddamnit. Hurts to think about.

I put that down to Erik Buell being a genius. It's not that those Harley engines were bad, it's just they were never really meant to do the things he made them do

Yes. Pretty ironic then that 1. now that he's finally got an engine that does what he needs it to do, the market has pretty much entirely shifted away from pure sports oriented bikes and 2. in the first setup (old Buells 'restricted' by the Harley engine) he actually did have the perfect (literally perfect) street bike. People just weren't ready for it back then. Plus, selling them as entry level Harleys was an idiotic move on Harley's part.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I say ass ugly, but I mean that they where interesting. Not the run-off-the-mill bike styling, which in retrospect is one direction manufactures went.
In which I mean taking aggressive aesthetics with a sort of cafe-influence maybe?
Something we see with current bikes.
Yes. Pretty ironic then that 1. now that he's finally got an engine that does what he needs it to do, the market has pretty much entirely shifted away from pure sports oriented bikes and 2. in the first setup (old Buells 'restricted' by the Harley engine) he actually did have the perfect (literally perfect) street bike. People just weren't ready for it back then. Plus, selling them as entry level Harleys was an idiotic move on Harley's part.

Yeah, it's always sad to see a vision being constricted by the construct of the time.

Dougald

I think people would eat up the non-sporty Buells today. Like the Ducati SportClassic, they were released about 5 years too soon...

Bikes like the Street Triple are so popular in America right now. An AMERICAN street triple? They'd buy them up...

Same here. Though I had the chance to ride someone else's Ulysses yesterday. Had these milled Rizoma mirrors and those were - a lot - better. Not sure why they would work better, perhaps it has something do with the added structural rigidity? But they did.

Coincidentally, that's also the Ulysses whose engine we'll probably be using for our Firebolt project. Hurray. Maybe it'll live again after all.

Mengy

Will it vibrate like crazy?
That's my one takeaway from a lot of Harley's. That gets annoying.

Have you ridden a modern Harley lately? They don’t vibrate anything like the old ones did, they haven’t for over a decade now. My old ’76 Sportster used to vibrate so much at highway speeds that the mirrors were totally unusable, they were for decoration only and my wrists used to hurt after hours of riding. Then my ’93 Low Rider was better, but the vibration was still there but at least I could see things in the mirrors. Once I got to my ’99 Wide Glide with the Twin Cam 88 engine things really changed, as that bike vibrated Harley style at idle but smoothed out completely when riding. Then, when I got my ’05 Heritage Softail which had the counter balanced TC88, well that bike was smooth as glass at any and all speeds. Now, my previous ’11 Road Glide Ultra and my current ’16 RGU are the best bikes I’ve ever owned, the engine vibrates in the frame but you don’t feel any of it at the handlebars nor at the seat when cruising. My girlfriend notices a super very slight mild vibration in the back seat while cruising, but for her that’s more of a positive feature than a complaint, LOL!!!!!

I’ve owned a lot of Harleys, and the new bikes are LEAGUES better than the old vibration machines.

As for this new engine, I’m excited, and I’m looking forward to owning one ten years from now. After they tweak it and work out all the kinks. I’ve made a pact with myself that I’m keeping my ’16 RGU until I put 100,000 miles on her. I’ve never put that many miles on a single bike but on this one I’m going to.

Watevaman

My buddy's sportster (2015 I think) vibrates too much for my comfort even at speed. My GS500 would vibrate around 4k so much that my hands would numb but the sportster vibe is just annoying.

Dougald

Yeah, but that Road Glide Ultra is a sofa on wheels, I can't imagine there's any vibration at all, must be smooth sailing

I'm not even taking the piss, I love that bike, it's awesome. My only trouble would be whether I'd rather have that or a Goldwing....

uWlKeno.jpg

I would be polishing that for days, and loving every minute of it

Mengy

Yeah, but that Road Glide Ultra is a sofa on wheels, I can't imagine there's any vibration at all, must be smooth sailing

I'm not even taking the piss, I love that bike, it's awesome. My only trouble would be whether I'd rather have that or a Goldwing....

uWlKeno.jpg

I would be polishing that for days, and loving every minute of it

Yep, but that’s the road glide with the old fairing. The new RGU with the Rushmore upgrades and fairing is much, much nicer. Here is my 2016:

H3N4uqc.jpg

Best Harley I’ve owned yet!

That's the one thing that leaves me conflicted about my Harley. I hate how heavy it is, it's unrefined, it vibrates, it's loud. I also love all those things.

I'd love a new Dyna with one of those Milwaukee Eight engines in it. Low Rider or something, with an actual modern water cooled engine and brakes and suspension, but it just wouldn't be the same as my lumpy Iron.

Wolfe

I'll be honest, never cared much for them but I have a real soft spot (meaning I'd gladly own one) for Harley's like richardhawks.

In fact I saved a pic of it from this thread to show my brother lol, we were discussing bikes and I wanted to show him what I was talking about.

That reminds me I have a harley history book that has a pic of a (guessing same or similar model) similarly done bike but orange and with a belt drive, gotta dig that up to see what it is again.

That new engine looks nice for sure.

Damaged

Harley-Davidson-Milwaukee-Eight-107-main.jpg

I'm going down to test ride the new range on the 7th so will post feedback when I have had a play, got to be some perks to working in a dealership :)

Mengy

I'm going down to test ride the new range on the 7th so will post feedback when I have had a play, got to be some perks to working in a dealership :)

Well I've heard firsthand from three friends now who have test rode the new Harley M8 motor, and all three walked away shocked at how much better it felt. But, the biggest change for the 2017 bikes, per all of them, is the new suspension. Apparently Harley's new stock touring suspension rides better than the high end aftermarket does! That's a drastic change, and I am going to have to see that for myself.

Looks like I'm going to test ride one today. I ain't buying one, I'm happy with my 2016, but I am extremely curious now. These three friends are not easily impressed...

Well I've heard firsthand from three friends now who have test rode the new Harley M8 motor, and all three walked away shocked at how much better it felt. But, the biggest change for the 2017 bikes, per all of them, is the new suspension. Apparently Harley's new stock touring suspension rides better than the high end aftermarket does! That's a drastic change, and I am going to have to see that for myself.

Looks like I'm going to test ride one today. I ain't buying one, I'm happy with my 2016, but I am extremely curious now. These three friends are not easily impressed...

Take some pic's so we can see.

Damaged

Yeah I had heard similar, supposedly some new Showa internals making the big changes there. I'm taking a MY16 Street Glide down to the test so I can do back to bask comparisons. Will be interested to hear your opinion

Speaking of cruisers I got an "invitation" for a 24 hour test ride on the Ducati XDiavel in the post yesterday.

Now to book somewhere to ride it to! And hope this decent weather continues.

Not bad looking machines for 2017. Small updates like ride by wire and new end can that looks much better than the previous one

2017 BMW F800GS Adventure Rally

wBabQH6.jpg

2017 BMW F800GS Trophy Special Edition

5Yz4UbK.jpg

Dougald

Top Bottom