• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Muddimar said:
Hey GAF! Here's two updated pictures that were taken recently. This IS my baby :D It's a 2005, probably like 16,000 miles on it now, I got it originally with 1600 miles on it. Have a few little things here and there done to it, don't really have the funds to do much other than basic maintenance.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/muddimarf/Meriding.jpg
This one was part of a video, hence the crap quality. A favorite back road of mine.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad42/muddimarf/B1109008.jpg
This one is the most updated picture I have, my sister took this with her new camera.

Sweet looking bike. Do you usually ride in your shoes?

hey I glad I could help with your key situation, but that sucks about your bike being damaged by the tow. I just had my bike towed (FZ6) and I was a nervous wreck since it was on a regular tow truck NOT a flat bed as I wanted. The bikes looks ok but as you can see, falling was a possibility. Many times when a frame is bent, insurance companies will total the bike. I hope that is not the case for you. if it is, you might be able to find a new 250 frame cheap somewhere and rebuild , those bikes have been around since the stone age.

Image065.jpg

Well, it doesn't look like the insurance is going to help me at all. They think say I have no proof so it's probably just preexisting damage. They don't even believe that the guy dropped it because he said he didn't. If I want I have to pay for a 30 min tow to a dealer to get it looked over, pay for them to look it over and then maybe I'll get a partial reimbursement if they can prove that the service provider caused it. I don't even feel like riding the stupid thing again, if I can't fix it then I think I'm done with riding. So fed up.

Sorry to hear about your troubles man...Real bummer there. =(

I'm having some slight issues with my bike too, if anyone wants to help me troubleshoot. =)

It's a carbureted 2007 GS500. These guys are notoriously cold blooded--take a while of idling with the choke on to get properly warmed up.

Well, lately it's seemed to take longer and longer to get warmed up--to the point where after a 5 minute ride (where I'm on the highway for a couple miles) the bike might sputter out when I come to a stop at a traffic light. Crazy! But I thought maybe it was just cold (it's my first bike, what can I say?).

But yesterday, I went on a long hour plus ride and as soon as I got off the freeway to come home, my bike died while I was coasting through the off-ramp. It started right back up while I was still rolling, no problem at all, but ... this doesn't seem right!

My ideas are either that it has to do with the carbs, sparkplugs (maybe?), idle control... Any tips on checking these things out? Thanks!

SnakeswithLasers said:

I'm having some slight issues with my bike too, if anyone wants to help me troubleshoot. =)

It's a carbureted 2007 GS500. These guys are notoriously cold blooded--take a while of idling with the choke on to get properly warmed up.

Well, lately it's seemed to take longer and longer to get warmed up--to the point where after a 5 minute ride (where I'm on the highway for a couple miles) the bike might sputter out when I come to a stop at a traffic light. Crazy! But I thought maybe it was just cold (it's my first bike, what can I say?).

But yesterday, I went on a long hour plus ride and as soon as I got off the freeway to come home, my bike died while I was coasting through the off-ramp. It started right back up while I was still rolling, no problem at all, but ... this doesn't seem right!

My ideas are either that it has to do with the carbs, sparkplugs (maybe?), idle control... Any tips on checking these things out? Thanks!

Has it ever been tuned up? Might want to look at that. Does it have dual carbs? Maybe it's out of sync? Suzukis are crazy weird with cold starting. It can be hot and still need the choke to start.

Edit: I guess the first thing if it's easy, is to pull the plug and see if it's fouled or anything like that. Does it sound rough when it's running? As silly as it may sound you're turning the choke all the way off right?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Has it ever been tuned up? Might want to look at that. Does it have dual carbs? Maybe it's out of sync? Suzukis are crazy weird with cold starting. It can be hot and still need the choke to start.
You know, you're probably right. I've had it for almost a year, and have put about 3k miles on it (it's up to 4.6k now total). I'm taking it in at 5k for service--maybe I should just go in early.

Edit for your edit: It seems to run fine--I haven't noticed any roughness to it; just the "I'm going to die at idle" loveliness. I am turning off the choke, btw. Not to say I've never forgotten to turn it off (it's my 8AM commuter bike!), but I'm usually pretty good about it. =)

SnakeswithLasers said:
You know, you're probably right. I've had it for almost a year, and have put about 3k miles on it (it's up to 4.6k now total). I'm taking it in at 5k for service--maybe I should just go in early.

Edit for your edit: It seems to run fine--I haven't noticed any roughness to it; just the "I'm going to die at idle" loveliness. I am turning off the choke, btw. Not to say I've never forgotten to turn it off (it's my 8AM commuter bike!), but I'm usually pretty good about it. =)

Ya, definitely check the plugs. Especially if you forgot to turn off the choke occasionally, you can foul out the plugs pretty easy with the choke on if you're riding it. I would probably make sure the plugs are ok then go from there. It seems really weird that it wouldn't run rough but die out at idle. Have you let it sit for a little bit and then take the choke off and just rev it when it sounds like it's going to die and see if you can get it to run smooth?

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Well, it doesn't look like the insurance is going to help me at all. They think say I have no proof so it's probably just preexisting damage. They don't even believe that the guy dropped it because he said he didn't. If I want I have to pay for a 30 min tow to a dealer to get it looked over, pay for them to look it over and then maybe I'll get a partial reimbursement if they can prove that the service provider caused it. I don't even feel like riding the stupid thing again, if I can't fix it then I think I'm done with riding. So fed up.

Really if the bars are just bent you can bend them back... happens more often than I like to admit in the woods on my bike. :lol

New bars (if they are super bent beyond repair) are pretty cheap too. The only thing I would check is the steering head bearings. Just make sure there is no play.

SnakeswithLasers said:

Sounds like dirty carbs/fouled plugs to me. There is probably a good site detailing carb cleaning/rebuild on that bike somewhere. Most are pretty similar though, IDK what your mechanical level is but as long as you remember how you took it apart they are not that hard to put back together. Could also be a fuel pump and/or filter issue, did you leave old gas in it all winter? That can cause all sorts of problems.

I would check the plugs 1st, if they are fouled sandpaper them clean and test that. If they foul again check your choke cable is actually disengaging the choke. If the choke is working and the plugs continue to foul look at the carbs. 1st get some cleaner and just take the airbox off and clean them on the bike. If that doesn't work get a rebuild kit (new jets, seals, float if you have one) and learn about carbs.

If the plugs look good, it is probably a fuel supply issue. Check the fuel filter and replace if clogged. Don't forget to also check/replace your air filter. It can be blocked and causing the bike to run rich.

God bless fuel injection and auto choke! :D

Flo_Evans said:
Really if the bars are just bent you can bend them back... happens more often than I like to admit in the woods on my bike. :lol

New bars (if they are super bent beyond repair) are pretty cheap too. The only thing I would check is the steering head bearings. Just make sure there is no play.

Sounds like dirty carbs/fouled plugs to me. There is probably a good site detailing carb cleaning/rebuild on that bike somewhere. Most are pretty similar though, IDK what your mechanical level is but as long as you remember how you took it apart they are not that hard to put back together. Could also be a fuel pump and/or filter issue, did you leave old gas in it all winter? That can cause all sorts of problems.

I would check the plugs 1st, if they are fouled sandpaper them clean and test that. If they foul again check your choke cable is actually disengaging the choke. If the choke is working and the plugs continue to foul look at the carbs. 1st get some cleaner and just take the airbox off and clean them on the bike. If that doesn't work get a rebuild kit (new jets, seals, float if you have one) and learn about carbs.

If the plugs look good, it is probably a fuel supply issue. Check the fuel filter and replace if clogged. Don't forget to also check/replace your air filter. It can be blocked and causing the bike to run rich.

A friend said I may just need to adjust my idle screw. Does that sound reasonable? I was also thinking about running some sea foam in with my next tank to clean some gunk. The air filter sounds good too. I'll have to try that this weekend.

Flo_Evans

SnakeswithLasers said:
A friend said I may just need to adjust my idle screw. Does that sound reasonable? I was also thinking about running some sea foam in with my next tank to clean some gunk. The air filter sounds good too. I'll have to try that this weekend.

Unless the screw backed itself out/in somehow (possible) I doubt it.

Flo_Evans said:

The bars don't look bent, they just seem off center...

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The bars don't look bent, they just seem off center...

The forks aren't bent/twisted though right? You may have to loosen the top clamp bolts and re-center the bars if they got really knocked hard.

Are you confident enough to let go of the bars and see if it rides straight? More than likely the drop just tweaked the bars (you want this to happen) and didn't bend the forks or frame.

Flo_Evans said:
The forks aren't bent/twisted though right? You may have to loosen the top clamp bolts and re-center the bars if they got really knocked hard.

Are you confident enough to let go of the bars and see if it rides straight? More than likely the drop just tweaked the bars (you want this to happen) and didn't bend the forks or frame.

Ya, it wasn't a violent drop so I think they just went off center on the thing. There is not noticable bends/damage to forks or anything like that. I guess I can let go... Should I hold onto gas tank? Is it a good or bad thing if it rides straight?

daw840

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, it wasn't a violent drop so I think they just went off center on the thing. There is not noticable bends/damage to forks or anything like that. I guess I can let go... Should I hold onto gas tank? Is it a good or bad thing if it rides straight?

Just do like you did when you were a kid! Get it going downhill and just let go man, just let go

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just grip the tank with your knees. Get going down a good hill in a high gear for minimum engine braking.

Slowly let go of the bars, you can keep your hands close. Bike should ride straight and respond to leans or wieghting of the pegs.

It is pretty much like a bicycle, except you have engine braking slowing you down.

Flo_Evans said:
Just grip the tank with your knees. Get going down a good hill in a high gear for minimum engine braking.

Slowly let go of the bars, you can keep your hands close. Bike should ride straight and respond to leans or wieghting of the pegs.

It is pretty much like a bicycle, except you have engine braking slowing you down.

When you hear about my obituary tomorrow...

UPDATE

So I went down a couple hills, the bike seems to stay straight. BUT, when I let go the handlebars start shaking left and right and gets progressively worse the longer I keep my hands off (I'm assuming because I'm slowing down). Does this help at all? Is this good or bad?

Flo_Evans said:
Oh yeah try and do it in a low traffic area or empty parking lot.

Ya, pulled off until there wasn't a line of cars and tried it 3 times.

daw840

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
UPDATE

So I went down a couple hills, the bike seems to stay straight. BUT, when I let go the handlebars start shaking left and right and gets progressively worse the longer I keep my hands off (I'm assuming because I'm slowing down). Does this help at all? Is this good or bad?

Ya, pulled off until there wasn't a line of cars and tried it 3 times.

You know what. Mine does that all the time, but it's an 84 Nighthawk. if I am not engine braking (i.e. in neutral) it doesn't do it. IDK, something may be wrong with mine too, so don't necessarily take this as gospel.

daw840 said:
You know what. Mine does that all the time, but it's an 84 Nighthawk. if I am not engine braking (i.e. in neutral) it doesn't do it. IDK, something may be wrong with mine too, so don't necessarily take this as gospel.

Well it turns too far left and crushes my hand now so I know at least something is wrong.

Edit: I guess I'll wait to see what Flo says. Thanks for the feedback though Daw.

lol, I fixed my bike. I got really pissed off and held the wheel with my knees and pushed the handlebars hard. They're very slightly off but I don't crush my hands now so I just have to do a minor adjustment tomorrow. I'm still interested in what flo has to say about the wobble though. And FUCK RIDER INSURANCE AND RESCUE WRECKERS. BOTH ARE COLOSSAL DOUCHEBAGS.

Flo_Evans

If it is wobbling to me that says there is play in the steering head or something else is off.

Not sure about the geometry of your bike specifcally, but the front wheel is actually a caster (like a shopping cart front wheel) if it is wobbling back and forth with no rider input then something is off.

Did you try leaning back/forwards to shift more wieght to the front? If the front end is too light and the road uneven that can cause wobble or headshake.

Flo_Evans said:
If it is wobbling to me that says there is play in the steering head or something else is off.

Not sure about the geometry of your bike specifcally, but the front wheel is actually a caster (like a shopping cart front wheel) if it is wobbling back and forth with no rider input then something is off.

Did you try leaning back/forwards to shift more wieght to the front? If the front end is too light and the road uneven that can cause wobble or headshake.

No, I can try this again today. I want to try it too after straighting the steering. How do you fix play in the steering head? Do you just have to tighten something?

Flo_Evans

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
No, I can try this again today. I want to try it too after straighting the steering. How do you fix play in the steering head? Do you just have to tighten something?

It could just be loose, but if it's been loose for a long time you probably need new steering head bearings.

It could also be your suspension is not set up correctly, did the shop/person that sold you the bike adjust it for your weight? If leaning forwards corrects it your suspension is off, if it makes it worse there is something off in the steering head.

I am by no means a suspension expert, like I said your bikes geometry is way diffrent than mine but this is what should happen when you let go of the bars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwrU-NqZIvI = nothing exciting. :D

Flo_Evans said:
It could just be loose, but if it's been loose for a long time you probably need new steering head bearings.

It could also be your suspension is not set up correctly, did the shop/person that sold you the bike adjust it for your weight? If leaning forwards corrects it your suspension is off, if it makes it worse there is something off in the steering head.

I am by no means a suspension expert, like I said your bikes geometry is way diffrent than mine but this is what should happen when you let go of the bars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwrU-NqZIvI = nothing exciting. :D

It definitely gets better when I lean forward but it still does it. What does adjust suspension entail? Something I can do myself?

Got all my crap installed on the gix today. Sorry for the shitty pics, but it was a cramped space in a dark garage.

R55 Pipe

SDC10416.jpg

Muffler

SDC10415.jpg

Header

SDC10414.jpg

And the PCIII

SDC10417.jpg

Overall I am pretty happy. I can definitely feel a significant boost in power in the low to mid range (3k-10k rpm) and the bike has a great sound.

I must say, working on the bike was a pleasure. I'm usually wrenching on cars so this was a nice change. The only thing that sucked was getting at the TPS to wire in the PCIII. It was a VERY tight space to get into.

fastford58 said:
Got all my crap installed on the gix today. Sorry for the shitty pics, but it was a cramped space in a dark garage.

R55 Pipe

SDC10416.jpg

I'd love to hear the sound on those Yoshis, been thinking about getting some for the ninja.

Yey, seems like in a week or two I'll finally be rejoining 2 wheels world! Been a while(a year) but it felt like forever.
Ordered Ducati 848 but in case there's none to be found I gave a list of what is acceptable to get ;) Hoping for ducati tho heh, red or white doesn't matter. Will post as soon as one is bought!

Nolimit_SS said:
Yey, seems like in a week or two I'll finally be rejoining 2 wheels world! Been a while(a year) but it felt like forever.
Ordered Ducati 848 but in case there's none to be found I gave a list of what is acceptable to get ;) Hoping for ducati tho heh, red or white doesn't matter. Will post as soon as one is bought!

That's cool, but did you give your dealer a list or something? And it might end up not being a Ducati? Seems kind of odd :lol. And surely, once you've set your sights on a Ducati, something else is not as acceptable ;).

map_eu%20copy1.jpg

Close to Italy luckily, and that's where I buy most of my stuff haha. Tech stuff is a lot cheaper, vehicles too if you know where to look.
Buy scooter for like 100-200 and sell it for over 1000euros back home :D

Damaged

Flo_Evans said:
Yes. I do NOT recommend trying this on the street. The danger of a high-side is extremely high if you let off the throttle for a split second...

I do it on the dirt all the time, feels good man :D

Only done it a few times on the road and its v scary, not something im looking to do that often

LiveFromKyoto said:
Holy shit, that's awesome. My bike's all wrong for that sort of thing though. And, y'know, I probably don't have the guts to try it.

Not really about guts, just turning the part of the brain off that says this is stupid :lol

Karud

Just be careful with Ducs. If they are to cheap, they are propably burned down on the racetrack, even if it looks fine from the outside.

I came home from work the other day and changed into short to mow the lawn and went out to roll my bike into the garage after i got the mower out and burnt the living shit out of my leg on the tailpipe.

Twas a harsh lesson learned not to go near my bike without long pants anymore. Luckily my girl is a nurse, and she patched me up right.

daw840

Dahellisdat said:
I came home from work the other day and changed into short to mow the lawn and went out to roll my bike into the garage after i got the mower out and burnt the living shit out of my leg on the tailpipe.

Twas a harsh lesson learned not to go near my bike without long pants anymore. Luckily my girl is a nurse, and she patched me up right.

Yup, I've done that before. It kind of sizzles when it hits that hot metal. There was definitely some skin stuck to the pipe afterward.

Dahellisdat said:

Must...resist...avatar...quote...

One of the first times I rode on a motorcycle I was wearing shorts (this was as a passenger...I did not know better at the time). The bike was already warm (quite hot, actually). I burned my right ankle on the inside of the leg pretty bad. I still have a mark from it.

Luckily I've only felt heat since I always wear long pants. But I could feel my leg getting warm all of a sudden until I caught on. :lol

And I've now gone over 1000 miles on my bike! :D

Flo_Evans

I have no idea how some people ride around in shorts and flip flops. Fuck my gearshift lever would rip the skin off my foot if I tried that.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
NEW RIDER HERE

Tomorrow I think I'm going to buy a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. It's a green special edition (2009 ver. is possibly the ugliest green/special edition of the past three years). The bike doesn't have much balls, but I just sold a 2000 ZX6R which I only owned for a month because, frankly, it had too much balls.

I sold it cuz I have two options:

Ride a 600cc like a bitch with a light wrist
Ride a 250cc like a man with a twitchy wrist.

So I think that's the plan. Buying the 250r tomorrow for $3000. 500miles, broken in appropriately (or so the guy says; he IS an old man, anyway).

So guys, am I a pussy for selling my ZX6R? And also, I need to go through this entire thread before I actually go riding. Looks like there's some solid info in here. :D

Badabing said:
NEW RIDER HERE

Tomorrow I think I'm going to buy a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. It's a green special edition (2009 ver. is possibly the ugliest green/special edition of the past three years). The bike doesn't have much balls, but I just sold a 2000 ZX6R which I only owned for a month because, frankly, it had too much balls.

So I think that's the plan. Buying the 250r tomorrow for $3000. 500miles, broken in appropriately (or so the guy says; he IS an old man, anyway).

So guys, am I a pussy for selling my ZX6R? And also, I need to go through this entire thread before I actually go riding. Looks like there's some solid info in here. :D
You made the smart decision man. It's no fun riding a bike you're scared of.

daw840

Badabing said:
NEW RIDER HERE

The people who learn how to keep up on the twisty roads on a 250 are the ones that run a LOT faster than other people once they move up to the big boys. Good choice. The 250 forces you to learn how to keep your speed up in the turns since you don't have that acceleration that the I-4 engines do.

I think it is a good decision. Those little 250s have enough power and are fun as hell since they are so light. They love to scream as well. I had one that the previous owner tricked out with better suspension and pipes/jets and that thing was amazing!

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Another nice perk of the 250R is it gets like a trillion mpg. I used to have one ages ago to ride to work on and in town commuting, and I would gas it up and ride for weeks between refills.

Darth Pinche said:
I realized I never put up some good photos of my ride. These are much happier photos...

DSC01539.jpg

3-1.jpg

Picture043.jpg

I bought an 06 FZ6 about a month ago and am loving it to death. It replaced my first bike which was an 05 EX500. It was a much needed upgrade.

Badabing said:
So guys, am I a pussy for selling my ZX6R?

No. You cannot go wrong starting small. You can, however, go wrong starting big. Personally after MSF I rode a used/somewhat beat up 04 CBR600RR. It took me a few months of plentiful riding to get really comfortable. There is no real way to tell how anyone will do on any particular bike starting out, which is why a smaller bike is a fantastic way to go in general as it will eliminate at least one more big potential learning/safety hazard.

Top Bottom