• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

daw840 said:
If I could find some headphones that weren't earbuds I would totally listen to music. However, I HATE those things inside my ear. I don't know why, but I just can't stand them. My wife bought an expensive pair of sony earbuds, the ones that have different sized soft inserts, and I still hate them. They feel better than most, but after 20 minutes or so I have to take them out.

I did however see a BlueTooth helmet that actually has speakers inside it. I may look into that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShX5tF2Fmk

Anyone here ever had any experience with this? I really want some opinions before I try to buy one of these from overseas.
My helmet actually has a little thing on the side where you can hook up a blue tooth adapter. I don't think it has speakers built in though...maybe i should look into that. I have a Nolan N43 trilogy helmet

Scarecrow

well, my earbuds aren't the kind that you have to insert directly into your ear. They kind of just lay right on the outside. I wear a pair of JVC Gelly buds. They're only, like, $10 at wallmart.

31XjwD7f1-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

daw840

Scarecrow said:
well, my earbuds aren't the kind that you have to insert directly into your ear. They kind of just lay right on the outside. I wear a pair of JVC Gelly buds. They're only, like, $10 at wallmart.

I have tried ones similar to this, my ear must be shaped weird because they never stay in. :(

Dahellisdat said:
Questions: How do you guys feel about listening to music while you ride?

My engine is music enough! But really, I think it would be a bit distracting and might actually cause me to ride more aggressively. When I wear foam hearing plugs I can actually hear things that matter more easily I think, since the wind noise is cut down so much.

Karud

In the past I used to listen to music while driving. But when I switched for the R6 it became to dangerous IMO. You're too fast and vulnarable to waste your hearing on non-street sounds.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Was thinking about investing in a BT helmet, I need a new helmet anyways. I don't get the fuss about riding with music... turn it down low enough to still hear my engine & stuff around me.... It seems fine for me. I wouldn't listen full blast, mostly because im paranoid i wouldn't hear an EMS, Police, or Firetruck coming. lol

Even without music I hear less than I would in a car w/ windows up and my music at a high volume (which is how i drive exclusively :X).

Anyways, headsets/headphones are uncomfortable. Was thinking about this, but in black. Wish I had money for two. :lol

edit: damn, this one looks 10x better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShX5tF2Fmk

in the US it seems to be this helmet.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Last night, I went to meet up with a friend for dinner.

And we were eating, there was a loud crash, and a long shriek of what was clearly metal on asphalt. And then loud engine revving and further shrieks of metal.

Needless to say, it felt like a shot put had dropped from my throat to my balls.

Go outside, and there is some girl and her bf outside, standing around their Chevy Avalanche, and underneath, was my Triumph. Not only has she bumped it to knock it over, in a panic, she decided to attempt to flee the scene by running over my bike, catching in on the underside of her truck and dragged it about 50'.

Fortunately, a cop saw the whole thing and stopped them. But my bike is toast.

She only had 147 miles on her. :(

Good thing is, the insurance company is giving me MSRP. So, I guess I'm going bike shopping again.

Bad thing, the two people wanted to blame me for parking my bike. It was already parked when they hit it, they weren't there before me.

Sad thing, having to get on the bus to go home wearing a motorcycle jacket and carrying a helmet.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
JayDub said:
Chi, fuck, is it a 675?

Fuck. Sorry to hear, man.

She was a Thruxton.

JayDub

ChiTownBuffalo said:
She was a Thruxton.

In that case, all good in the neighborhood. :lol

Im just messing. That's horrible, and she tried to drive away? What are you planning on next? Or are you getting back on the Thrux (my buds call it the "hump." Thruxton...thruston..thrust..hump)?

ChiTownBuffalo

JayDub said:
In that case, all good in the neighborhood. :lol

Im just messing. That's horrible, and she tried to drive away? What are you planning on next? Or are you getting back on the Thrux (my buds call it the "hump." Thruxton...thruston..thrust..hump)?

I dunno. I def want another bike. There has been this Moto Guzzi thought flittering about in my head. But I have no experience with Italian bikes, and I wonder if they are tempermental/high maintenance cost like an Italian car.

But maybe get a Triumph Speed Triple?

daw840

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I dunno. I def want another bike. There has been this Moto Guzzi thought flittering about in my head. But I have no experience with Italian bikes, and I wonder if they are tempermental/high maintenance cost like an Italian car.

But maybe get a Triumph Speed Triple?
Wow dude, I am truly sorry. A bike is much more personal than a car, horrible to see them go. Those speed triples are fuckawesome though.

Karud

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Last night, I went to meet […story…] to go home wearing a motorcycle jacket and carrying a helmet.

Oh man, I'm sorry for you. If someone hits a bike it's already ******. If he tries to make a run for it, I would be so fucking pissed. Glad the officer got them. In Germany we have pretty hurtful sentences for absconding.

Scarecrow

That's rough about your bike, dude :( . However, looks like you pulled the best outcome you could have from the situation. You're pretty lucky to get back the money for it.

That sucks horribly Chi :(

Personally I think the Speed Triple is a great choice.

kylej said:
What do you guys think?

I like the sound of your bike. Will you be taking your SV to the track at all?

Yesterday I cut the axle nut off my bike. I discovered my problem was the axle threads had gotten messed up. I then got my wheel off and tried to change my tire. The bead breaker I bought ended up not fitting (and would not fit for the rear tire of any race replica). Fantastic. I did manage to break it on one side but that was it. I gave up as it got dark (spent all day yesterday working on it). I was thinking I would go out and get some tools etc that would allow me to break the bead easily, but I decided to just yank the wheel off again and run it over to get it changed in about 30 minutes. A bit cheaper than riding the bike in. Guess I'll try to make a tire change next time it's due. I got everything back together, got on the road for a short while. Man. It's been like three weeks. I had forgotten how good it could go...

kylej

Banned
thesoapster said:
I like the sound of your bike. Will you be taking your SV to the track at all?

Thanks. No, not this year or probably next. I just spent $1000 on suspension upgrades for my car in addition to the moneysink that is my bike. Won't have the finances to track it until I'm out of school.

ChiTownBuffalo

Honestly, the worse part was wearing my jacket and carrying my helmet with the gloves inside of it on the bus.

Not because it was the bus, but because I left a beautiful thoroughbred and came back on the community water buffalo.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Honestly, the worse part was wearing my jacket and carrying my helmet with the gloves inside of it on the bus.

Not because it was the bus, but because I left a beautiful thoroughbred and came back on the community water buffalo.
That's a brilliant way to put it.:lol :lol :lol
I love Triumphs, my next bike will hopefully be a Street Triple.

ChiTownBuffalo said:

:lol

In that sense, "get back in the saddle" really makes sense. Keep us updated on the search/purchase. Any reason to not get another Thruxton? You had such low mileage on it; did you regret the purchase?

Sh1ner

Hey guys, so I just done my CBT and passed, I am currently going to take my theory (a second time) and go for direct access. I am in the UK and I have only driven for 1 full day on a motorbike. I have a full car licence btw.

What would you guys suggest as my first bike? I will be doing the direct access first before I actually buy a bike.
I have ridden a 125 honda during my CBT, I love the look of the Kawasaki 250 ninja but I have no idea how it rides.

I am reading through this thread from op but damn its long!

daw840

Sh1ner said:
Hey guys, so I just done my CBT and passed, I am currently going to take my theory (a second time) and go for direct access. I am in the UK and I have only driven for 1 full day on a motorbike. I have a full car licence btw.

What would you guys suggest as my first bike? I will be doing the direct access first before I actually buy a bike.
I have ridden a 125 honda during my CBT, I love the look of the Kawasaki 250 ninja but I have no idea how it rides.

I am reading through this thread from op but damn its long!

You answered your own question right there. :)

Unless you are more into the cruiser style bikes. Then I would recommend getting something like a Yamaha V-Star 650. Awesome learner bike. Just bought my wife one a few months ago and she is doing good.

edit: Just skim the last couple pages for some good recommendations on gear. I don't wear much gear, but I am a dumb ass.

VASPER

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Last night, I went to meet up with a friend for dinner.

And we were eating, there was a loud crash, and a long shriek of what was clearly metal on asphalt. And then loud engine revving and further shrieks of metal.

Needless to say, it felt like a shot put had dropped from my throat to my balls.

Go outside, and there is some girl and her bf outside, standing around their Chevy Avalanche, and underneath, was my Triumph. Not only has she bumped it to knock it over, in a panic, she decided to attempt to flee the scene by running over my bike, catching in on the underside of her truck and dragged it about 50'.

Fortunately, a cop saw the whole thing and stopped them. But my bike is toast.

She only had 147 miles on her. :(

Good thing is, the insurance company is giving me MSRP. So, I guess I'm going bike shopping again.

Bad thing, the two people wanted to blame me for parking my bike. It was already parked when they hit it, they weren't there before me.

Sad thing, having to get on the bus to go home wearing a motorcycle jacket and carrying a helmet.

That sucks i would be so fucking pissed if someone ran over my bike. Were you pissed at all how did you react?

Sh1ner

daw840 said:
You answered your own question right there. :)

Unless you are more into the cruiser style bikes. Then I would recommend getting something like a Yamaha V-Star 650. Awesome learner bike. Just bought my wife one a few months ago and she is doing good.

edit: Just skim the last couple pages for some good recommendations on gear. I don't wear much gear, but I am a dumb ass.

Thanks dude, for gear I will skim the rest of the thread, I will be definitely wearing quite a bit of it.

Also how much is the going rate for the latest model ninja 250 (second hand)? I assume its a lot cheaper then buying it brand new.

ChiTownBuffalo

VASPER said:
That sucks i would be so fucking pissed if someone ran over my bike. Were you pissed at all how did you react?

I went outside. And just looked at this couple, who were out of their car and said, "You ran over my bike."

Girl: "It was in the way."

Me: "The way of what? It was parked, and you weren't there when I parked it. Oh, you mean in the way of your shitty driving."

Guy: "Hey, calm down."

Me: "Shut up, I will fuck you up. Shut up. Let's just trade insurance information."

Cop: "Are you the motorcycle owner? I need to get some information from you. And yes, I'm also citing them for fleeing the scene."

That was pretty much it.

I'm going to get another Triumph. When I got the Thruxton, it was a toss up between the Speed Triple and Thruxton. But I know I'll fall in love with that retro cafe racer as soon as I see one.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
But I have no experience with Italian bikes, and I wonder if they are tempermental/high maintenance cost like an Italian car.

Generally speaking yes, and parts are sometimes tough to source. You pretty much need to buy a Japanese bike for guaranteed reliability, but I don't think Triumph has a bad rep these days. Street Triple would definitely be a good replacement if you wanted something different from the Thrux.

speed-triple-special-edition.jpg

So sexy.

Sh1ner

Scarecrow said:
i need some advice on how to clean the inside of my helmet. The poofy insides are starting to get a tad grungy.

During my CBT, the hardcore teachers said forget the special cleaning kits for helmets and just use febreeze.

kylej

Banned
Scarecrow said:

I listen to music, podcasts or Stern every time I ride. I have zero problems hearing things like sirens or horns. Your sense of hearing is the least important while riding a motorcycle.

If you listen to music with cheap buds like this you'll do a lot of damage to your hearing, especially when you're trying to compensate for wind and bike noise. You want IEMs (inner ear monitors). IEMs go inside the ear canal to isolate outside noise and provide better sound to the listener. They allow you to listen to music at a lower volume while protecting yourself from wind deafening (any wind noise over 35mph permanently damages your hearing). Win-win.

The best IEMs for the money are Yuin RE2s which used to sell for ~$120 and now are available for $30. It is impossible to find a better quality and nicer sounding pair for the price. The packaging looks like Chinese shit but the internals are fantastic (who do you think provides the big names with parts...) Next step up would be the Etymotic 6i Isolators but you'll experience diminishing returns for the price. If you're the type of person willing to spend more than $100-200 I would encourage you to visit Head-Fi.org and research the many, many upper-tier IEMs available.

I don't want to get too uppity or descend into audiophile madness but it's important for people to know; if you ride a motorcycle and don't wear any type of hearing protection you will develop tinnitus and loose significant amounts of hearing.

Scarecrow said:
i need some advice on how to clean the inside of my helmet. The poofy insides are starting to get a tad grungy.

If your padding is removable, take it out to clean it. I usually use hot water and soap and wring the padding out like a sponge. After that I just let it air dry before putting it back in.

thesoapster said:
If your padding is removable, take it out to clean it. I usually use hot water and soap and wring the padding out like a sponge. After that I just let it air dry before putting it back in.

So definitely clean liner by hand?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So definitely clean liner by hand?

I think it's an easy and effective way to do it. Spraying something into the helmet is just going to stink it up with flower scent and whatever shit is in products like Febreze. The other benefit of washing padding is that it will thicken up again and the helmet will become a bit more snug for a while.

thesoapster said:
I think it's an easy and effective way to do it. Spraying something into the helmet is just going to stink it up with flower scent and whatever shit is in products like Febreze. The other benefit of washing padding is that it will thicken up again and the helmet will become a bit more snug for a while.
Yeh. I've read that some chemicals can damage the integrity of the impact foam underneath and make your helmet less safe. I've even heard gasoline fumes can do this under prolonged exposure. I'm pretty sure these days a lot of helmets have the removable liners though.

There's a sale on louis.de currently and this is among the things:
http://www.louis.de/_40358c89481dc5...ia=beilegerpdf&topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=208004
(if link doesn't work click it again)

I'm thinking about getting this, seems decent and not that expansive. Will cost additional 100e for customs but still...
Now this won't be my sole gear, jacket, knee+shin guards, gloves and boots for days when I wouldn't bother wearing 1piece, and when I do I'll have it.
What do you think guys?

Nolimit_SS said:
There's a sale on louis.de currently and this is among the things:
http://www.louis.de/_40358c89481dc5...ia=beilegerpdf&topic=artnr_gr&artnr_gr=208004
(if link doesn't work click it again)

I'm thinking about getting this, seems decent and not that expansive. Will cost additional 100e for customs but still...
Now this won't be my sole gear, jacket, knee+shin guards, gloves and boots for days when I wouldn't bother wearing 1piece, and when I do I'll have it.
What do you think guys?

Looks like a good quality suit. I'd add the CE spine guard and hip armor into it, too. I would only really use a 1 piece on a track day. They're a bit of a pain on the street in my experience. May want to consider 2 piece?

Yeah I gave it some long thought and I'll wait a bit for 1 piece. No track anywhere NEAR so I'd probably use it for longer rides or when I want to enjoy some riding, but for now it's not worth it really.
Tomorrow I'm ordering bunch of new gear(my moneyz going away noez), alpinestars gloves and boots, knee+shin protectors by knox and leather jacket by Scorpion to match my helmet.

New bike left to go heh. Had some good deals that fell through but perfect one is around the corner :) Probably around the next week corner

Nolimit_SS said:
Yeah I gave it some long thought and I'll wait a bit for 1 piece. No track anywhere NEAR so I'd probably use it for longer rides or when I want to enjoy some riding, but for now it's not worth it really.
Tomorrow I'm ordering bunch of new gear(my moneyz going away noez), alpinestars gloves and boots, knee+shin protectors by knox and leather jacket by Scorpion to match my helmet.

New bike left to go heh. Had some good deals that fell through but perfect one is around the corner :) Probably around the next week corner

Very nice.

What are you wearing on your legs? The armor under jeans? I've been wearing Bohn armor under jeans for some time now. Wearing jeans though is kind of shit for a number of reasons (not cut for motorcycle posture/use, the fact they will disintegrate in a slide, etc). I'm pretty much on the verge of going and getting leather bottoms that can do a 360 degree zip with my jacket.

Have you looked at some of the new Knox hand armor? One of their gloves stuck out to me. I think it was called the "Handroid" :lol ...but really they looked like serious gloves.

Armor under jeans. Thing is if I was to get leather pants it would be for same reason as 1 piece suits. Quick rides, commuting etc it's not practical. Sure it's safe but imagine sitting at university for 5 hours with them. And yeah, there are some that look like jeans but are more protective etc but meh dunno. At least I have some leg/bone protection, got enough skin on my ass to transfer if something happens :lol
Maybe if there were some protective overpants hmm

As for Knox glove(s), oh yeah, handroid is an AWESOME glove that has gotten good reviews and is considered the one of the best atm iirc.
But at the moment, I'm buying some cheaper but still good quality stuff. Later on depending on how things go(if I start visiting track, even tho its like 10 hours away) or I move to bigger bike I'll go all out if I haz ze moneneyz then ;)

As for the my moto-history, I learned to ride on kymco quannon 125cc. It's like honda cbr125rr replica. Sold it after few months, god 03 600rr honda and now time for somethig else. Possibly newish r6, we'll see. (just to get this out of the way for future )

imagevp.php

not my exact scooter, but same type, minus the trunk on the back...had it all through high school, and no, it was not a ladies magnet, contrary to popular belief.

Damaged

Nolimit_SS said:
Armor under jeans. Thing is if I was to get leather pants it would be for same reason as 1 piece suits. Quick rides, commuting etc it's not practical. Sure it's safe but imagine sitting at university for 5 hours with them. And yeah, there are some that look like jeans but are more protective etc but meh dunno. At least I have some leg/bone protection, got enough skin on my ass to transfer if something happens :lolMaybe if there were some protective overpants hmm

As for Knox glove(s), oh yeah, handroid is an AWESOME glove that has gotten good reviews and is considered the one of the best atm iirc.
But at the moment, I'm buying some cheaper but still good quality stuff. Later on depending on how things go(if I start visiting track, even tho its like 10 hours away) or I move to bigger bike I'll go all out if I haz ze moneneyz then ;)

As for the my moto-history, I learned to ride on kymco quannon 125cc. It's like honda cbr125rr replica. Sold it after few months, god 03 600rr honda and now time for somethig else. Possibly newish r6, we'll see. (just to get this out of the way for future )

Take a look at the draggin jeans, got kevlar in the right places and still look like normal jeans. Been down the road a few times over the years and you would be supprised just how much it hurts even with the right gear on, with normal jeans i can almost guarantee you a skin graft if you drop it at speed.

Even if you are just going for a quick ride it doesnt make it any safer, last accident i had was at 5mph on a ride back from work (got knocked off) and i ended up with a shattered knee and a full leg cast for six months.

daw840

Damaged said:
Take a look at the draggin jeans, got kevlar in the right places and still look like normal jeans. Been down the road a few times over the years and you would be supprised just how much it hurts even with the right gear on, with normal jeans i can almost guarantee you a skin graft if you drop it at speed.

Even if you are just going for a quick ride it doesnt make it any safer, last accident i had was at 5mph on a ride back from work (got knocked off) and i ended up with a shattered knee and a full leg cast for six months.

No amount of kevlar jeans are going to prevent broken bones, pads might help a little, armor yet a little more, but if one of your legs or arms gets caught on something and bent the wrong way.....well, I don't even want to think about it TBH.

Nolimit_SS said:

I had the same 600RR as you. For 07-08 CBR600RR is actually considered best, but for 09 the ZX-6R. 06/07 GSX-Rs are nice (maybe look at the 750 for more oomph). 04/05 R6 is a great one, though not such a fan afterward as 06 on became extremely top end biased and has much more aggressive ergos. 05-06 ZX-6R is also good, especially with the cheating 636cc engine.

Top Bottom